Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,973 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:42 AM

My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. (19431 Views)

My Journey This Morning To A Bush Market. / How To Start And Run A Shortlet Apartment Business In Lagos, Nigeria / Cheap Short-Let apartment Needed In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 2:53pm On Jul 14, 2022
Gbagura:
Mrsage, that's for this educative thread. My question is who does the cleaning of the apartment during and after each occupation? Do you do it yourself, hire a cleaner or the client do the cleaning?

Some short let apartments in Nigeria do not offer daily cleaning. Some offer cleaning once or twice a week. The cleaning days are already fixed.

If a guest wants cleaning outside the pre arranged days, they pay extra.

For the short let I manage, cleaning is done twice a week.

Hire a cleaner and pay him or her monthly. You could get a cleaner from a cleaning agency.

5 Likes

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by Steelarmy01: 3:00pm On Jul 14, 2022
mrsage:

The lease amount is far more than 500k

Kindly check my previous post for the price guide.

Picture after furnishing

Nice!
Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by MonogramMaster(m): 3:20pm On Jul 14, 2022
MonogramMaster:
I've finished reading it all. I must commend MrSage for his good heart to enlighten people and to guide others in their journeys to real estate business establishment.

Thanks once again for all the info. I've saved your number and will certainly give you a call.

Thanks once again. Please find some questions below.
Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by MonogramMaster(m): 3:21pm On Jul 14, 2022
Some quick questions.

1. What measures do you put in place to avoid the Ataga/Chidinma problem that got the shortlet accommodation owner into trouble and got the place closed for a while (I don't know if it's been reopened now)?

2. In what currency do your clients pay - NGN and/or USD?

3. Aside Airbnb what other platforms do you advertise on?

4. What fee do you pay to the advert platforms?

5. What's your typical annual occupancy rate?

6. How do you manage cleaning and incidentals? Do you send in managers at end of stays?

7. What's your average investment payback period?

8. Who is responsible for keeping the building in a good state given the long lease that you advise? A building will in 15 or 20 years require an extensive repair/renovation. Who picks this bill up?

9. What measures do you put in place to prevent damage to equipment and service materials e.g. beddings? Do you make lodgers pay?

10. What measures do you put in place to prevent theft by lodgers and how do you ensure restitution?

I'll stop here for now. Other questions to follow later. Thanks once again MrSage.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 7:25pm On Jul 14, 2022
MonogramMaster:

Thanks MrSage for starting this class. I'm a late entrant. I saw this yesterday and I'm bidding my time to read through all posts.

The part in bold here took me by surprise. I'd thought that selfcon and minis would be the favourites as against 2 bed and 3 bed.

Please elucidate on this.

I must thank you for starting a useful thread like this.

The home away from home factor.

Although a classic hotel operator and a short-let/serviced apartment provider share the same objective which is selling accommodation for a night.

Short let/serviced apartment providers attempt to provide ‘a home away from home personalized service, and larger living spaces.

The attraction of short let apartments is that they offer the comfort and facilities of a hotel, with the privacy and facilities of home.

Also when people travel with their family members or in groups, short lets tend to be cheaper in terms of cost.

I came across some statistics some time ago but cant recall the source.

I will try and dig up some statistics to back up my point.

4 Likes

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 7:30pm On Jul 14, 2022
MonogramMaster:
Some quick questions.

1. What measures do you put in place to avoid the Ataga/Chidinma problem that got the shortlet accommodation owner into trouble and got the place closed for a while (I don't know if it's been reopened now)?

2. In what currency do your clients pay - NGN and/or USD?

3. Aside Airbnb what other platforms do you advertise on?

4. What fee do you pay to the advert platforms?

5. What's your typical annual occupancy rate?

6. How do you manage cleaning and incidentals? Do you send in managers at end of stays?

7. What's your average investment payback period?

8. Who is responsible for keeping the building in a good state given the long lease that you advise? A building will in 15 or 20 years require an extensive repair/renovation. Who picks this bill up?

9. What measures do you put in place to prevent damage to equipment and service materials e.g. beddings? Do you make lodgers pay?

10. What measures do you put in place to prevent theft by lodgers and how do you ensure restitution?

I'll stop here for now. Other questions to follow later. Thanks once again MrSage.

Question 1

-Know your Customer (KYC)

-Your client should fill a form.

-They should provide IDs

-Install Cctv cameras outside the premises

-Use finger print door handles if possible ( optional ).

-Payment should be via bank transfer. No cash payments

-Also let your landlord know about your business.

-Also inform the nearest police station. Walk in and inform them about what you do. Get contact details of police officers just in case something happens..

Also to be clear, if someone is murdered or injured on your property the constitution of Nigeria doesn't automatically make you guilty as at the last time I checked.

-Have a lawyer on Stand by

11 Likes

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 8:50pm On Jul 14, 2022
To be continued tomorrow morning.

I'm out of town.

You do not have to be physically on ground to run a short let business. Just have a system in place.

4 Likes

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 7:41am On Jul 15, 2022
Question 2

I'm a patriotic Nigerian so I collect Naira grin.

I accept dollars from foreigners on rare occasions

Question 3

www.booking.com
Jiji
Then google

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 7:51am On Jul 15, 2022
Question 4

If I list my apartment at 10k. I get exactly 10k. I don't pay any fees. They charge the guest.

They charge the guests extra 15% or there about.

Question 5

I'm less than a year in business. However I have studied the market for about 2 years.

If your location is good, your apartment is in good shape and you have good reviews you are guaranteed at least 70% occupancy.

This requires a lot of hardwork on your part, I must be sincere.

A good location alone can guarantee good occupancy.

For a conservative estimate just work with 40% occupancy.

Question 6

Cleaning already answered in my previous post.

2 Likes

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 7:55am On Jul 15, 2022
Data and Statistics From a Research Report in 2021

According to a report by Tech Cabal, Short-lethomes, maintained a 75% occupancy rate during the COVID-19 pandemic.

At the same time, the hotel industry took an unprecedented hit in bookings, with a month-on-month decline in sales, with the majority of hosts experiencing close to zero percent occupancy rates due to the different regulations imposed by the government during that time.

This agrees with the projection by Market Watch that the occupancy rate in short-let apartments in Nigeria will increase to about 70% in the next five years.

While data from Statista put the average occupancy rate of Nigerian hotels at 47.5 percent in March 2021.

A survey by BusinessDay across three of Nigeria’s busiest cities shows the average occupancy rate for short let apartments increased to 76.3 percent in March from 54.6 percent reported three years ago.

Described as the most affordable option for month-long stays, estimates by analysts show that a short let in Nigeria could be 25–50 percent cheaper than a hotel room

4 Likes

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 7:59am On Jul 15, 2022
To be continued by 7pm

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by alakara(m): 8:57am On Jul 15, 2022
Mrsage thanks for the eye opening.
This is a cool business.
Which other cities other than Abuja, lagos and PHC can this business thrive?
Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 9:00am On Jul 15, 2022
alakara:
Mrsage thanks for the eye opening.
This is a cool business.
Which other cities other than Abuja, lagos and PHC can this business thrive?

State by state demand trend for short let apartments in Nigeria according to an online property search platform.

Note: Oyo State has more demand compared to Rivers state. The demand in Oyo is largely from Ibadan.

As they say, the devil is in the details.

Kindly view image.

4 Likes

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by Steelarmy01: 9:19am On Jul 15, 2022
Very informative.
Thanks mrsage.
Still following!
Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by Fabbyking: 11:31am On Jul 15, 2022
Very informative
Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 8:02pm On Jul 15, 2022
Question 7

Investment pay back period

Short let owners / investors can expect to get back their return on investment in just 5 years compared to 20 years for local rental income and then experience year on year profit after each consecutive year.

Investing in short let apartments is a very wise and strategic business investment with even more significant potential in the years to come.

7 Likes

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by PLENTYNAIR(m): 8:38pm On Jul 15, 2022
Quite an interesting read.
Thanks a lot.
Very informative!
Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by MonogramMaster(m): 3:28am On Jul 18, 2022
mrsage:
Question 7

Investment pay back period

Short let owners / investors can expect to get back their return on investment in just 5 years compared to 20 years for local rental income and then experience year on year profit after each consecutive year.

Investing in short let apartments is a very wise and strategic business investment with even more significant potential in the years to come.

Thanks for treating the questions up to 7. I've been waiting for answers to the rest and I kept checking. It's been 3 days now since you were last seen here. This is checking to know that all is well with you.

Have a great week ahead.

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 6:42am On Jul 19, 2022
Good morning.

I've been very busy lately.

Lets continue by 7pm tonight.

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 7:13pm On Jul 19, 2022
Question 8

In a long lease arrangement you are responsible for renovation of your apartment. Not the entire building.

Remember you only have a flat/apartment in the building. You do not have any business with other peoples flats/ apartments.

You are basically the landlord of your apartment/ flat

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 7:17pm On Jul 21, 2022
Questions 9 amd 10

To prevent issues like theft, damage and all.

First Know your customer

Then you make guests sign an indemnity agreement. Basically they agree to pay for any damage.

Ensure you have someone on ground during check out.

Also you insure all assets in the apartment. Tv, all electronics, furniture etc.

Yes Insurance helps too.

7 Likes

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by eginaP: 7:48pm On Jul 21, 2022
Well done mrsage.
Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by MonogramMaster(m): 8:01pm On Jul 21, 2022
mrsage:
Questions 9 amd 10

To prevent issues like theft, damage and all.

First Know your customer

Then you make guests sign an indemnity agreement. Basically they agree to pay for any damage.

Ensure you have someone on ground during check out.

Also you insure all assets in the apartment. Tv, all electronics, furniture etc.

Yes Insurance helps too.

Thanks for doing justice to all 10 questions.

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 10:27am On Jul 24, 2022
Good morning everybody.

Ive been away for a couple of days cooking up some stuffs for the house.

I have an idea and I will love to share with my Nairaland family.

It's a plan that will be of great benefit to every member here.

Kindly join me by 7pm tonight. Let's talk.

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by oneness11111: 7:15pm On Jul 24, 2022
Ok, am here already waiting. Thanks
Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 9:39pm On Jul 24, 2022
Okay
Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 9:43pm On Jul 24, 2022
I want us to discuss, ask questions and have a conversation.

Feel free to ask questions. Lets talk.

Or contact me on WhatsApp if you are interested.
Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 4:48pm On Jul 25, 2022
Hello,
Let's continue by 7pm tonight.
Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 8:00pm On Jul 25, 2022
Good evening,

I want to teach how to convert your existing house or flat to a short let.

This is for people who have flats already and wish to convert to short let in order to earn income.
Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by Entprys(m): 9:18pm On Jul 31, 2022
mrsage:
Good evening,

I want to teach how to convert your existing house or flat to a short let.

This is for people who have flats already and wish to convert to short let in order to earn income.
? ? RavisH
Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by Nadeol: 2:04am On Aug 01, 2022
mrsage:
Hello,

I'm here to share my business story. I observed that real educative threads have practically vanished here on Nairaland. And trust me I have been here for several years

These days its all about Social media gossip, politics, insecurity, bla bla bla.

So I have decided to share my practical story and hope to make it educative and interactive.

I have been actively involved in Transportation business for a while and quite a number of people know me here on Nairaland.

However I decided to take a dive into the real estate sector.

Sincerely real estate is one of the most profitable businesses in Nigeria and the reason is simple. You provide a basic need.

People must live in a house irrespective of social status, tribe or religion.

Every human being sleeps in a house on a daily basis.

Its plain and simple.

However the industry is very big and as an investor you choose what aspect of real estate business you wish tp dabble into.

After series of researc I decided to venture into the short let rental business.

Basically provide fully furnished apartments for short let.

Let the journey begin.............

Hello MrSage,

Our company runs a PoS business and just at about the time I was about to start an educative series on how to run a successful PoS business, I came across your thread.

To say that this is one of the best, informative and insightful threads I have come across on Nairaland is a great understatement. Thank you for your willingness to share these business insights and also for your act of kindness and selflessness.

I also commend your patience in perfectly answering the numerous questions thrown at you.

You have a new follower in me. Please keep up the great work. I will keep in touch.

God bless you always.

2 Likes

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 12:18pm On Aug 01, 2022
Nadeol:

Hello MrSage,

Our company runs a PoS business and just at about the time I was about to start an educative series on how to run a successful PoS business, I came across your thread.

To say that this is one of the best, informative and insightful threads I have come across on Nairaland is a great understatement. Thank you for your willingness to share these business insights and also for your act of kindness and selflessness.

I also commend your patience in perfectly answering the numerous questions thrown at you.

You have a new follower in me. Please keep up the great work. I will keep in touch.

God bless you always.

I appreciate your kind words.
You welcome.

I believe the sky is large enough for everybody to fly and explore.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Huawei Ban: Microsoft Resume Sales Of Huawei Laptops Online / POS Operator Overpays A Customer By ₦100k In Lagos (Video) / One-stop-shop POS Machine to make money/Your digital service supermarket

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.