Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,503 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. (19652 Views)

My Journey This Morning To A Bush Market. / How To Start And Run A Shortlet Apartment Business In Lagos, Nigeria / Cheap Short-Let apartment Needed In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by John360comng: 11:02pm On Aug 06, 2022
mrsage:
First determine what type of apartment.

Is it a studio flat also called Room self con?
Or Mini flat or 2 or 3 bedroom flat.

The options available

a) Build/ Buy and use for short let.

Here you either buy or build from scratch then use the property for the short let business.

This is good if you have the resources. Here you own your property and you have total control.

b) Long Lease to Short let.

Here you take a long lease on an apartment. Maybe for 10 years and above.

You pay the lease amount and you are free to use the apartment for the agreed duration.

This is what I mostly recommend and this is the path I also follow.

The apartment I manage now is on lease.

I took a 20 year lease on the apartment so I have rest of mind and freedom for 20 yrs.

No landlord wahala. No annual payments.

The apartment is here in Lagos in a very acessible part of the mainland in Lagos.

c) Rent yearly and use for short let.

Here you rent an apartment, pay rent yearly then use it for short let.

This is a risky option. The risk factors are very high. I usually do not recommend this option for obvious reasons.

Landlord troubles. A landlord could increase rent by 50% at any point. This will affect business planning.

Also it is important to add that a typical short let business may need about 2-3 years just to break even and attain stability.

What if the landlord decides tp issue a quit notice after the 1st year? What will happen to the business?

If you must rent to short let you must thread with Caution. You must be very sure of your sales projections.

Its a risky path but possible if you have the "liver" and knowledge.

This is the cheapest option by the way.

This man is dropping gems and I wonder why his post is not FP.

3 Likes

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by alakara(m): 3:05pm On Aug 07, 2022
It's better here fp will cause wahala.

John360comng:

This man is dropping gems and I wonder why his post is not FP.

2 Likes

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 5:31pm On Aug 08, 2022
Good evening everybody
Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 9:09am On Aug 09, 2022

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 9:55pm On Aug 12, 2022
Good evening.

Hope all is well?

Have you made any progress so far?

Don't wait till the situation is perfect or till you have all you need.

Take a bold step and keep moving...

3 Likes

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 9:22am On Aug 18, 2022
Setting up a business is easy.

The difficult part is running the business.

Making progress.

3 Likes

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by vinehedge: 11:47pm On Aug 18, 2022
You didnt talk about marketing or did i miss something?
Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by Nobody: 4:44am On Aug 19, 2022
We can help you market your shortlet, or if you want property to buy or rent to use as shortlet, contact us. Real Estate is the most profitable business, aside from energy.
Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by AlphaTaikun: 7:57pm On Aug 19, 2022
mrsage:
Ideal location fro short let business.

Short let apartments thrive in popular residential areas with a good mix of commercial activities and recreational centres.

A place where people can reside and easily gain access to bank branches, supermarkets, cinemas, hang out spots and many more.

A place where they can easily get all basic needs met.

Ideal places for short let in Lagos:

Lekki Phase 1
Victoria Island / Oniru
Ikeja
Yaba
Surulere
Gbagada
Festac/ Amuwo Odofin etc.

Its important to realise that patronage differ based on Location.

The neighbourhood should be relatively safe and secure.

There is a website where you can check demand trends for short lets based on Location. The website has statistics to cover every state in Nigeria.

It will be revealed later.

Generally short lets do not thrive in remote areas or outskirts of cities. Outskirts like, Sango Otta, Epe, Ikorodu. These areas are not hot spots for shortlet.

However you can still do business here and make money if you are very business savvy and understand the market. It will require more work.
Nicely put.
Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by AlphaTaikun: 8:06pm On Aug 19, 2022
mrsage:
What is the ideal Apartment for short let business

Research has revealed that 2 and 3 Bedroom apartments are the most sought after in the industry.

Next on the demand scale are Apartments for parties. 4 bedroom or party cribs specifically suited for house parties, get togethers, Bach eve parties, baby showers etc.

However there is also reasonable demand for Studio apartments and Mini flats.

Other factors to consider:

The apartment must be in a clean and serene compound.

It should be spacious with adequate parking space and some room for outdoor relaxation no matter how little.

If you have space and resources, make adequate provision for an outdoor play area, swimming pool, gym etc. This will also enhance acceptance.

Insightful.
Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by AlphaTaikun: 8:08pm On Aug 19, 2022
mrsage:
First determine what type of apartment.

Is it a studio flat also called Room self con?
Or Mini flat or 2 or 3 bedroom flat.

The options available

a) Build/ Buy and use for short let.

Here you either buy or build from scratch then use the property for the short let business.

This is good if you have the resources. Here you own your property and you have total control.

b) Long Lease to Short let.

Here you take a long lease on an apartment. Maybe for 10 years and above.

You pay the lease amount and you are free to use the apartment for the agreed duration.

This is what I mostly recommend and this is the path I also follow.

The apartment I manage now is on lease.

I took a 20 year lease on the apartment so I have rest of mind and freedom for 20 yrs.

No landlord wahala. No annual payments.

The apartment is here in Lagos in a very acessible part of the mainland in Lagos.

c) Rent yearly and use for short let.

Here you rent an apartment, pay rent yearly then use it for short let.

This is a risky option. The risk factors are very high. I usually do not recommend this option for obvious reasons.

Landlord troubles. A landlord could increase rent by 50% at any point. This will affect business planning.

Also it is important to add that a typical short let business may need about 2-3 years just to break even and attain stability.

What if the landlord decides tp issue a quit notice after the 1st year? What will happen to the business?

If you must rent to short let you must thread with Caution. You must be very sure of your sales projections.

Its a risky path but possible if you have the "liver" and knowledge.

This is the cheapest option by the way.
Dayum... True that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by AlphaTaikun: 8:13pm On Aug 19, 2022
mrsage:
You can secure a long lease for a room self contained ( Studio Flat ) in a fairly decent part of Lagos for as low as 1.8M for 15 years.

This is very economical.

Lets do the maths.

1,800,000 ÷ 15 = 120,000

So in the real sense you are getting the room at 120 per annum.

If you decide to rent to a tenant, rent in the same area as at today is N300,000 per annum.

So in 6 years or less you will have recovered your 1.8M.

You have 9 years to enjoy pure profits.
Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 8:10am On Aug 20, 2022
vinehedge:
You didnt talk about marketing or did i miss something?

Will surely get there. Keep your fingers crossed.
Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 8:10am On Aug 20, 2022
JDistribute:
We can help you market your shortlet, or if you want property to buy or rent to use as shortlet, contact us. Real Estate is the most profitable business, aside from energy.

I will reach out to you soon.
Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by 9janinja(m): 11:09am On Aug 20, 2022
mrsage:

The long lease amount was paid at once. Its not charged yearly.

Pay once and the apartment is yours for 20 years.

The amount is far more than 500k

We need to know d exact amount or a price range it falls into. Cos my colleague sells his for 3.5M-5M 20yrs max...

Kindly du so. Thx

Figured out
Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by 9janinja(m): 11:34am On Aug 20, 2022
Steelarmy01:
Nice! But you didn't show us a picture of how the 500k self con turned out after furnishings.

Wonder why this post didn't make fp?

He didn't get d apartment for 500k . Not possible
Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 1:41pm On Aug 20, 2022
9janinja:

We need to know d exact amount or a price range it falls into. Cos my colleague sells his for 3.5M-5M 20yrs max...

Kindly du so. Thx

Figured out

There is a price list on page 2. Kindly use it as a guide
Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 9:56am On Aug 22, 2022
I came across a thread om twitter and feel I should share.

Kindly view

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 10:03am On Aug 22, 2022
As we all know security is a big problem in the entire country called Nigeria.

The short let business is not left out. We also face a lot of security challenges. This is a major risk factor and it must be effectively managed.

Lets discuss this all through this week.

Security in the short let apartment business in Nigeria.

Feel free to drop your comments.

I will also drop mine every evening till the end of tbe week

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by alakara(m): 11:22am On Aug 22, 2022
mrsage:

The short let business is not left out. We also face a lot of security challenges. This is a major risk factor and it must be effectively managed.

I wanted to drop this but you beat me to it.
I think a house keeper/ security man should be drafted into this business from the beginning.
Also verified means of id should be documented.
Lastly, a security personnel like a policeman within the jurisdiction of the apartment should be placed on tips.

2 Likes

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 12:12pm On Aug 22, 2022
alakara:

I wanted to drop this but you beat me to it.
I think a house keeper/ security man should be drafted into this business from the beginning.
Also verified means of id should be documented.
Lastly, a security personnel like a policeman within the jurisdiction of the apartment should be placed on tips.

I appreciate your valid points.

Housekeeper is needed no doubt.

Every house used for short let should have a guard.

Means of ID is important.

A police man placed on tips. That's neither here nor there for me.
Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by eastgates1: 12:16pm On Aug 22, 2022
mrsage:

I thought about this yesterday as one of the draw backs of this business, I was thinking about how do you pay the security when there is business down time? But with this now one has to be cautious and employ the security personnel.
Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 2:33pm On Aug 22, 2022
eastgates1:

I thought about this yesterday as one of the draw backs of this business, I was thinking about how do you pay the security when there is business down time? But with this now one has to be cautious and employ the security personnel.

For every risk factor there is a potential solution.

That's why big companies emlpoy risk managers and pay them heavily, someone somewhere must think of a solution.

The security may not be your sole responsibility.

For instance the apartment I manage is within a house and we have other tenants in the house.

The security guard is paid to secure the entire house.

The entire house pays his salary. This makes it very pocket friendly for me.

I only give him some extra cash to help me handle my check in and check out which is not stressful at all.

It's very easy and a win win for all parties involved.

4 Likes

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 2:39pm On Aug 22, 2022
If your apartment is alone in a compound. Stand alone without other occupants, then you must take sole responsibility for the security costs.

Simply factor it into your costs and pricing and you should be fine.

Remember you could charge a premium for selling privacy in a stand alone compound.

3 Likes

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by Theophinio(m): 12:09am On Aug 23, 2022
Very insightful thread

Am gathering quality information here
Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 1:35pm On Aug 23, 2022
Theophinio:
Very insightful thread

Am gathering quality information here

You welcome
Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 4:56pm On Aug 23, 2022
KlassicJ:
Don't get RIPPED.

Binance Nigeria p2p������

Where buyers and sellers of ALL Cryptocurrency at affordable rate.
The admin stands as an escrow btw buyer and the seller.The buyer pays to the admin, get confirmed and seller released the coin, the seller is paid when the coin is confirmed received by the buyer.
We protect your transactions.

https:///+1a6jEve67oJjMWY0

Take this elsewhere. We don't know about this.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by Theophinio(m): 6:04pm On Aug 23, 2022
mrsage:

You welcome

So sorry to digress boss

I know you are very knowledgeable regarding transportation

Please how do you see buying mini truck for like 5M and use it for carrying stuffs like drinks, cement, foodstuffs etc for customers that need my service

Though I will employ a driver

Or lease it out per day to clients or companies that needs it

How lucrative is it
Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 6:08pm On Aug 23, 2022
Theophinio:

So sorry to digress boss

I know you are very knowledgeable regarding transportation

Please how do you see buying mini truck for like 5M and use it for carrying stuffs like drinks, cement, foodstuffs etc for customers that need my service

Though I will employ a driver

Or lease it out per day to clients or companies that needs it

How lucrative is it

All through my transport business sojourn I never did haulage for once, I honestly don't know about the haulage aspect.
Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by mrsage(m): 6:16pm On Aug 23, 2022
Glad to inform you that the Abuja short let thief ( suspect ) has been arrested according to a tweet by the Nigerian Police Force. FCT Command

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. by Theophinio(m): 6:19pm On Aug 23, 2022
mrsage:

All through my transport business sojourn I never did haulage for once, I honestly don't know about the haulage aspect.

Alright boss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigeria Is Biggest Rice Buyer In 2019, Behind China - Bloomberg / Nairaland Open Marketplace... Get The Best Quality Products At Unbeatable Rates. / Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.