Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,639 members, 7,823,808 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:44 PM

Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice (36068 Views)

Is It A Wise Idea To Sue My Wife? / Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? / Why Did He Do This? I Need To Understand Why Some Act This Way. Is It Right? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by gafsal: 8:08pm On Jun 22, 2022
Please,!!! No matter what, don't arrest or Sue him. I have done it before and still regretting it after over 7years, you can use elders or family way to resolve it and make sure you constantly call the family to beg him on your behalf.
Do you know you can have that tricycle and still broke now because the tricycle might be giving you headache everyday ? If he give you the money today, you will finish it and you won't be able to point to a tangible thing you use it for. I have 3 similar experience, just through with one this month after giving him #1m , I saw hell and made several calls before #850k could be refunded. I can send you the proof. PLEASE DON'T SUE OR ARREST.
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by AdaAwka1: 8:12pm On Jun 22, 2022
jasper83:
Bros I totally feel your pain but please calm down. Put this quote in your left palm " Never loan out an amount you can't forfeit". You were sweet talked into parting with your money because you are inexperienced and naive about our money repayment works.

No matter what he promised you, a financial literate person knows that the repayment cycle is too short, he himself knew abi nitio that he won't pay back as promised but because he's desperate he played along.

Don't do anything irrational, he's your inlaw and must be feeling very sad and tensed, he's already seeing himself as a failure, he's the one who supposed to be showing love to your guys but destiny has humbled him.

See me myself lent my inlaw 500k since 2017 November and he promised paying back February of the new year, me as an experienced man who has tasted trenches life before knew he can't pay back so I took my mind off it, he just gave me a cook and bull story of a business of farm produce that will yield xyz percent in 3 months and November is the season, the possibilities of him investing in the said business is low , but what I'm certain is that a reasonable percentage of it he used it for personal immediate family stuff. At least my aunt and her children will be relieved and the man will have a high hope of a better new incoming new year with 500k cash at hand.

Also what if he dies in the trenches battle is it not people like us that will still adopt our aunty's children? So it's better he's alive and taking up his responsibilities by himself, that's the wisdom I borrowed myself when lending him. The money isn't a big money for me so I closed my mind from it, if he repays fine, if he doesn't fine. All I know is he can't face me in the future for such a gesture, lest I forget he's is 15 years older than me ooo, now in his mid 50's.

Since then which is close to 5 years bro never mention the money, lol. He had to approach my parent at one event like that so they can pipe me down, I just told them I did it for my aunt not him. Sincerely he's a very very nice man, nah economy humble am so I can never rubbish him. Also I have been down in life before, so I perfectly understand the dynamics of being broke pro-max as a full grown adult. No condition is permanent and once in a while I do pray for him and his family for financial uplift.

So bros, calm down and pray for him, he's feeling bad already and your cousin is the most hit, see it as a learning curve for you too, never lend out what you can't forfeit. Don't fight and don't put him under pressure, advise him to pay in bits.

Gracias

You are a wise man. God bless you. Person like you no fit lack helpers

1 Like

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by AdaAwka1: 8:16pm On Jun 22, 2022
Purple2003:
Good morning everyone,
Pardon me if I am posting this under the wrong section (this is my first time of posting on this platform).

To the matter....
I need legal & other advice on how to handle a situation that's causing me a lot of mental stress. I loaned 280,000 Naira to my cousin's husband around January for his business. There was no written agreement (I blame myself for this) because I felt it would be awkward to ask a family member to sign papers before I help him. Although I have other proofs like recorded calls and conversations where I asked for my money and he kept on begging for more time. The agreement we had was for him to payback by March. I had plans to purchase a fairly used Keke-napep with this 280k (plus some money I had reserved in my account).

When it was time to pay, I called him a lot to ask for my money. Sometimes, he'll pick and beg for more time. Sometimes, he'll pick and just leave me saying "hello hello hello" without a word from him. Most of the time he won't even pick my calls. He once asked me to send my account number but he didn't send anything (I felt like a joke). This went on from March, April & May. During this period, I had spent, on feeding & other bills, all the money I was supposed to add to the 280k in order to purchase the Keke-napep. This Keke-napep would have generated money for this bills if I had bought it then.

I've been staying at his place since beginning on this month because I don't have any money to fend for myself. When I came here, he told me that his customers promise to send the money before 15th of this month but they didn't. Now he said they promise to send it by the end of this month. All these while I have been patient and tolerant with everything, including the treatment I've been receiving since I came here (I don't even want to go into these treatments). I've been staying indoor since I came here because I don't know anywhere in this area. Just sitting one place and waiting for time to run makes me think about a lot of things and it's depressing.

I can't take this anymore. Even if I have a soft spot for family members, I also need to think of myself by taking necessary measures to get my money back before they ruin my plan of purchasing something that will help me survive daily. I need advice, please

You cant arrest someone cos he owes you, but you can sue, which will benefit him more and you less. What has happened has happened no matter how painful, just next time like someone said here, only loan money you can overlook when shit like this happens. Pray for God to open ur door to new opportunities.
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Tzar(m): 8:26pm On Jun 22, 2022
Lucky you. But, If you still live in that country, I hope you won’t learn the hard way. May Nigeria & Nigerians not happen to you for you to learn what I learnt.

ImoleNaija:

The ones that surround you. I don't think I have such amongst my F&F.
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by dontrulee: 8:28pm On Jun 22, 2022
When it comes to families like cousins and uncle's, if you want to do business with them, make it a written agreement if not sentiments will set in and you'll be in the loosing end.

For your scenario, involve elders. It will even shock you that the person you borrowed money may have close to 500k in his account. People are that wicked. When it comes to money matters, be smart!!

If elders don't work, go the court way. Although you'll still spend money Sha. Currently your situation is a bad one and you can't force your cousin husband to pay if he doesn't want to pay.
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jun 22, 2022
frozen70:

See if this man doesn't have a penny and have no hope of getting anything, honestly stay there for a year, you won't get anything

Inform your families and his, at least let them be aware, I know they will tell you to be calm.

Then you will ask them to tell you how long they want you to wait, whatever he says concerning the time frame, accept it

Just leave and go, consider that money to be gone

Start a fresh, a time will come you will collect something that worths more than that money from him

It will take you long ohh, but that time will come

Some people don't have conciense neither do they have shame
There's always wisdom in all ur comments.. can't help but notice.
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by frozen70(f): 9:03pm On Jun 22, 2022
killmods:

There's always wisdom in all ur comments.. can't help but notice.

Thanks for that recognition, I really appreciate you
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Stevo35: 9:07pm On Jun 22, 2022
undecided
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Stevo35: 9:13pm On Jun 22, 2022
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by felixawe(m): 9:26pm On Jun 22, 2022
Purple2003:

loaned 280,000 Naira to my cousin's husband around January for his business.

It's sad you found yourself in this big mess, me I don't liked loaning money to anyone except you got me an agreement & or asset. I don't have time to be begging my debtior to pay his money , las las it will end in tears, agony & gnashing of teeth.... This will further translate to permanent enmity . I will prefare to give freely without loaning .
Pursuing debt in the court involved lots of processes that may not be favorable to the creditor .
My advise, involve family to dialogue the matter, bear in mind that your relationship has been & would be strained .
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by gabicon: 10:10pm On Jun 22, 2022
Purple2003:
Good morning everyone,
Pardon me if I am posting this under the wrong section (this is my first time of posting on this platform).

To the matter....
I need legal & other advice on how to handle a situation that's causing me a lot of mental stress. I loaned 280,000 Naira to my cousin's husband around January for his business. There was no written agreement (I blame myself for this) because I felt it would be awkward to ask a family member to sign papers before I help him. Although I have other proofs like recorded calls and conversations where I asked for my money and he kept on begging for more time. The agreement we had was for him to payback by March. I had plans to purchase a fairly used Keke-napep with this 280k (plus some money I had reserved in my account).

When it was time to pay, I called him a lot to ask for my money. Sometimes, he'll pick and beg for more time. Sometimes, he'll pick and just leave me saying "hello hello hello" without a word from him. Most of the time he won't even pick my calls. He once asked me to send my account number but he didn't send anything (I felt like a joke). This went on from March, April & May. During this period, I had spent, on feeding & other bills, all the money I was supposed to add to the 280k in order to purchase the Keke-napep. This Keke-napep would have generated money for this bills if I had bought it then.

I've been staying at his place since beginning on this month because I don't have any money to fend for myself. When I came here, he told me that his customers promise to send the money before 15th of this month but they didn't. Now he said they promise to send it by the end of this month. All these while I have been patient and tolerant with everything, including the treatment I've been receiving since I came here (I don't even want to go into these treatments). I've been staying indoor since I came here because I don't know anywhere in this area. Just sitting one place and waiting for time to run makes me think about a lot of things and it's depressing.

I can't take this anymore. Even if I have a soft spot for family members, I also need to think of myself by taking necessary measures to get my money back before they ruin my plan of purchasing something that will help me survive daily. I need advice, please

The bigger question is does he have the money to repay the loan? If he has the money to repay, that's just wicked on his path but if he doesn't, I'm afraid you have lost your money. Now you understand why banks ask for something in return for loan as security.
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Kimiso(m): 10:30pm On Jun 22, 2022
DryMouth:
Call family meeting on him ASAP

For all those that will come to this thread to talk how they can't loan money to anyone, hope y'all won't beg for loan when you are in dire need.
only the financially capable ones here will uter such statement
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by alphabbey1(m): 11:03pm On Jun 22, 2022
Emmanuel909090:

I'm not asking him to let go, but he should avoid arresting him.

He will spend money to mobilize police to arrest him.

Police won't keep him in jail, he will also bail himself with same money he might be saving to pay him.

Police will only ask him, if he is owing, he will affirm.
And they will ask him when he can pay and how he will pay.

He can now decide to be paying you 20k monthly and if police confirms.
Your money will come in bits.

Now relationship don scatter, money don scatter.
So what's the need?

Check my previous comment. Already gave OP one of the best advice..... constantly reminding his cousin about the money in a angry tone is one of the best strategy.... the cousin will know how to work on getting the money out from her husband....

1 Like

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Washington505: 7:50am On Jun 23, 2022
Your better small. My guy wey him uncle chop him 3 million
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by phemmyfour: 8:28am On Jun 23, 2022
Purple2003:
Good morning everyone,

To the matter....

Involve your cousin, if nothing happens, get a soldier or mopol
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Emmanuel909090: 9:04am On Jun 23, 2022
alphabbey1:

Check my previous comment. Already gave OP one of the best advice..... constantly reminding his cousin about the money in a angry tone is one of the best strategy.... the cousin will know how to work on getting the money out from her husband....

Simple
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by CCC2(m): 9:22am On Jun 23, 2022
U dont have a means of livelihood and u borrowed someone ur last card. Dem neva leave u!!! Make god no allow them kill you ooo!!!
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Poleski: 10:07am On Jun 23, 2022
Purple2003:
Good morning everyone,

To the matter....

The guy is not even making any effort at all to pay back the money. Call a family meeting for him. If this doesn't push him to pay up, then arrest him. But I must warn you that involving corrupt police will reduce the amount of money owed because they will take their cut.
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by NemoDatQuod(m): 3:52pm On Jun 23, 2022
I am sorry for what you're passing through currently. But it is time to move on and learn the right lessons from this. If you call in the cops, you will need to spend quite some money for that to happen. The Police will not prosecute him and you'd end up spending money you don't have. A lot of terribly bad blood will also be generated. You've got to look to the future and learn never ever to lend money to anyone unless it is money you will not miss.

You made that money legitimately(hopefully). You should be able to make it again if you re-focus. Anger and retribution are negative emotions that weigh us down while the perpetrator carries on with his life.

Purple2003:
Good morning everyone,

To the matter....

1 Like

Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by ABBOLAJJI81: 9:19am On Jun 24, 2022
[color=#006600][/color]I think d best bet for you is to leave their house with immediate alacrity..your continue stay in their place of abode pose a lot of danger for you... As u can see it has not really put pressure on him to repay you....leave without notice and inform d elders in d family to settle d matter amicably...
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by ABBOLAJJI81: 9:22am On Jun 24, 2022
Purple2003:
Good morning everyone,

To the matter....

th best for you leave d house and make move to recover your money
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by NoToPile: 9:28am On Jun 24, 2022
You borrowed family member money?
You are on a long thing.
Re: Should I Arrest & Sue My Brother-in-law For This? I Need Advice by Purple2003(m): 10:51am On Jul 04, 2022
Good morning everyone.
I want to thank you all for your ​wise words, I pray that wisdom will never depart you people.

He has failed to pay me my money at the end of the month like he promised. I have decided to go back to my house and start life with whatever amount I get from selling a couple of things in my house. I won't arrest or sue anybody. I'll just move on with my life like nothing happened cry. The future will tell.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

40% Of First Borns Are Not From Their Fathers- Dna Expert Reveals / What Could He Be Doing Spending 4hours And More In The Bathroom? / I Bought My Mum A Convertible Sport (pics,vid)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.