Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,860 members, 7,821,004 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:38 AM

My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written (1276 Views)

12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” / Strangest Books Ever Written (photos) / Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Nobody: 11:00am On Jun 22, 2022
I just stocked my shelve with thousands of books. My aim is to read every good book ever written.

This project has two goals. To learn and to improve. I'm not reading to be entertained, athough I'm certain I will be. I'm actually reading to improve my writing. I want to be one of the greatest writers to ever come out of Africa. That's my goal. You can laugh all you want, but every achievement begins as a seed of thought, and I've planted this seed in the fertile soil of my mind. I'll water it constantly by exploring good literature daily, making notes, and studying those notes religiously.

I solemnly invite you all to join me on this journey, or at least be my audience. I'll also appreciate suggestions.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Nobody: 11:04am On Jun 22, 2022
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by drippingink3: 11:11am On Jun 22, 2022
Okay.
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Nobody: 11:15am On Jun 22, 2022
I have so many books on my shelf, too many to number.

PS: I don't have Hadley Chase novels or similar pulp fiction novels. These aren't meritable works of literature. These are just plot driven stories with terrible prose; zero themes, zero metaphors and two dimensional characters.

The books I have on my shelf were all carefully selected. The selection process was tough, getting the books was an even tougher task. But now I feel equipped enough to begin my journey.
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Nobody: 11:19am On Jun 22, 2022
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Nobody: 11:26am On Jun 22, 2022
All my books are in EPUB format. I prefer reading from my phone; I'm used to staring at my phone screen, I can read them anywhere, and my EPUB reader allows me to easily make notes whenever I want. Hard copy books are a drag and can be quite weird to carry around.
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Babtunz: 11:28am On Jun 22, 2022
Hello, Kindly share your reading list. Thank you
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Nobody: 11:31am On Jun 22, 2022
Babtunz:
Hello,
Kindly share your reading list. Thank you

I will, and I'll also post cover pictures and first page screenshots.
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Nobody: 11:38am On Jun 22, 2022
I'll be reading two books at a time. I'm used to this kind of reading style.
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Nobody: 11:55am On Jun 22, 2022
The first book on my shelf is 1984 by George Orwell. I recently just finished reading it, so it's not part of my to-read list, although I'll come back to it in the future after I'm done reading the others, as I was reading it for leisure and not to learn and improve my writing, and hence I didn't make any notes.

Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jun 22, 2022
I'm currently reading 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami.

1 Share

Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jun 22, 2022
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jun 22, 2022
I'm not yet worthy or ready to give commentary on these marvelous works of literature. When I'm well equipped, I'll give my opinion on these books.

As far as literature is concerned, I'm still but a child. I've not read enough good books to have an opinion.
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jun 22, 2022
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by meobizy(f): 4:56pm On Jun 22, 2022
OP, you go tire, last last.
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Blaqqcorleone(m): 7:25pm On Jun 22, 2022
Hermix:

PS: I don't have Hadley Chase novels or any of those rubbish airport novels. Those aren't works of literature. Those are just plot driven stories with terrible prose.

The books I have on my shelf were all carefully selected. The selection process was though, getting the books was an even tougher task. But now I feel equipped enough to begin my journey.

Boooooooooo!!!
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jun 22, 2022
Blaqqcorleone:

Boooooooooo!!!

I'm sorry I don't share your taste in bad literature.
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jun 22, 2022
meobizy:
OP, you go tire, last last.

Get thee behind me, Satan.
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by meobizy(f): 10:56pm On Jun 22, 2022
Hermix:

Get thee behind me, Satan.
Until then.
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Demonicus: 11:10am On Jun 23, 2022
Hermix:
I'm not yet worthy or ready to give commentary on these marvelous works of literature. When I'm well equipped, I'll give my opinion on these books.

As far as literature is concerned, I'm still but a child. I've not read enough good books to have an opinion.

But here you're already throwing shades at Larrysun & co lol. grin
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Nobody: 11:15am On Jun 23, 2022
Demonicus:

But here you're already throwing shades at Larrysun & co lol. grin

Are you seriously comparing Murakami and Orwell to Larrysun and co?
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Demonicus: 11:35am On Jun 23, 2022
Hermix:

Are you seriously comparing Murakami and Orwell to Larrysun and co?
You have your choice of preference and i have mine.
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Nobody: 11:46am On Jun 23, 2022
Demonicus:

You have your choice of preference and i have mine.

Shouldn't choice be predicated on quality?
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Blaqqcorleone(m): 11:50am On Jun 23, 2022
Hermix:

I'm sorry I don't share your taste in bad literature.

Gatekeeper clap for yourself!
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Demonicus: 5:18pm On Jun 23, 2022
Hermix:

Shouldn't choice be predicated on quality?
grin grin
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Mirriamvic(f): 12:17pm On Jun 24, 2022
Click on the link below to read this one. You are going to like it.

Blackmailed To Marry Him
Chapter 5( The second Invitation)

Two weeks after Eva received the first letter from Julian, she walked into her elegant office, gorgeously dressed and her face beamed with a smile. Her wedding gown just came in from Dubai.

The sleek and effortlessly sexy wedding gown with a classic silhouette was designed by a famous designer known as Mandy Valentino.

The ultrafeminine wedding gown was carefully handcrafted with the finest materials. The French lace and the embroidered tulle gave it a regal feel. Its whimsy and vulnerability were top-notch, Eva could not repress her smile of satisfaction as she walked into her office.

They had just thirteen days before the wedding and everything was going as planned. There would be a bachelorette party in an exotic hotel a day before the wedding. James had sent out an invitation to some of his naughty college friends. They would be flying in from different parts of the world.

Eva sat on her swivel chair after adjusting it to her desired height. She went through her phone again, admiring the beautiful photos of her wedding gown. She brought her phone down when her eyes caught sight of a shiny object at the center of her desk.

It was a love letter envelope sealed with a gold wax seal stamp. She grinned and picked it up. James won't stop dropping romantic messages for her.

Last week, he left a romantic envelope on her car seat, sealed with the same gold seal when she visited his family. She did not know James left an envelope on his car seat.

She was dumbfounded when she was about to leave for office the next day and saw the envelope. She switched the engine off and unsealed the envelope. It was one of the most romantic things she had ever read.

Eva was about to open the envelope when James walked in with his contagious smile. His walk had a sunny cheerfulness because everything was just going as planned.

Eva stood up, tossed the envelope aside and James swung her into the circle of his arms, and began to eat her lips.

"Would you mind?" James whispered into her ear. Eva understood what he wanted through his body language and nodded her head with a giggle.

"Just picture, honey, I know you have it in your phone," James whimpered and continued holding her tight. Eva tried to free herself from his embrace.

"You will only see it on our wedding day," Eva smirked when she had freed herself.

"Okay, can you give me a description?" James tilted his brows, shrugged his shoulders, and put his hands in his pocket.

"It is a fairy-tale gown with some jaw-dropping elements," Eva said. James moved closer again and wet her lips with his kiss. He gave her a warm hug after the gentle kiss.

His eyes caught sight of an envelope that was on her desk. He frowned and began to pull slowly from her embrace. Eva read his body language again and lifted her gaze at him. She quickly looked in the direction his eyes were and was surprised.

"Why are you staring at the envelope you sent to me?" Eva asked, a bit worried.

"I'm surprised because I did not send a love letter to you," James said.

"What? Are you sure?" Eva asked and James nodded his head.

"Then who did?" She asked, picking the envelope up from her desk.

"Open it and find out. I hope it's not from Hampton." James said with worries written on his face.

Eva looked up at him before running her eyes on the four sentences that were on the letter.

She brought her hands down disappointedly, sighed, and flung the letter away. She did not want anything that would take her beautiful smiles away. The letter could not stride as far as she wanted, so it landed on Jame's feet. James bent, picked the letter up, and read out loud.

"I regret writing to you again over what is simply solvable.

I regret even more that you failed to honor my last invitation.

Well, it might interest you to know that you are about to make May 26, a day of weeping.

You have my address, come and tell me why you did it"

James frowned his face and fixed his gaze at Eva who looked less concerned.

"Did what, honey?" Jame asked, his face clouded with uneasiness.

"Sweetheart, I did nothing!"

"Are you sure this letter came from Julian Hampton? Julian of all people? No, I doubt."

"He said he regretted even more that I did not honor his first invitation in the second sentence. Julian was the only person that had ever sent an invitation letter to me. Obviously, this letter came from him.

"He is such a cheap blackmailer!" James yelled. "What is he going to do on May 26?" James asked curiously.

"Stop the wedding? He dare not!"

"Listen, honey, I'm not going to let this slip away. I don't care who he is or the number of fans he has all over the world.

I'm going to talk to one of our experienced attorneys. They would help us talk to him.

For now, Eva, I want you to resist the urge to engage him. I know part of you wants to ignore him, while part wants to know what you did. Honey, you did nothing to him." James said. "Even if you did, you know I don't care, right?" James asked. Eva looked at him and nodded. She knew James did not care what anyone would say about her.

"What are we going to do to ensure nothing interrupts our wedding?" Eva asked. "Honestly, I'm a bit scared.

James moved closer to her and put his arms around her waist. He gently planted a kiss on her neck and nibbled her ear before whispering into it.

"Our wedding comes up in thirteen days. I have booked a hotel for our honeymoon in the Maldives. All our fantasies must be explored," James said and they giggled.

"We are going to have a delicious dinner filled with satisfying aphrodisiacs–artichoke and oysters for appetizers, a Mediterranean seafood stew for the main course, and a chocolate-hazelnut dessert on our arrival.

After the dinner, we will go back to our room and have a long bath together.

Honey, I'm going to pounce on you as the tiger hunts her prey. I will flip you over, pin you to bed and give you a lot of tender bites.

After the multiple bites, I'm going to come in between your legs and devour you like a hungry lion. I can't wait to watch you whine in ecstasy for me," James said in a flat tone as he held her so tight.

"What scent would you chose for our candle? Sea breeze, sage and lavender, citrus and ginger, sandalwood?" James asked after nibbling her ear.

"I love peppermint, I find it quite pleasant," Eva giggled.

"I like the scent of a tangy orange; we can use the two," James said.

Eva held his head firmly with her right hand. They pulled away from each other after some minutes. James looked dreamily at her, wishing they were on their honeymoon already.

He tried to pull her back again, Eva protested. She noticed his passion which came without warning had begun to consume his body and soul. James bit his lips and lowered his gaze.
Eva picked the letter up from her desk and tore it into pieces. She tossed both the pieces and the envelope in a trash can. James admired her courage even though he wanted to keep the letter as evidence.
"I love you Eva," James said with a grin, looking admiring at her.

https://www.goodnovel.com/book_info/31000255146/Romance/Blackmailed-To-Marry-Him
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Yemideee: 5:52pm On Jun 24, 2022
Hermix:

PS: I don't have Hadley Chase novels or similar pulp fiction novels. These aren't meritable works of literature. These are just plot driven stories with terrible prose; zero themes, zero metaphors and two dimensional characters.

The books I have on my shelf were all carefully selected. The selection process was though, getting the books was an even tougher task. But now I feel equipped enough to begin my journey.
Your review of Chase's novel sounds harsh, it's your personal opinion though and you have a right to express it.

personally,I believe no book can be all in all, hence the need to have diverse taste in literary works...

There are some you read for suspense,some for indulgence while some are mostly educating with a little dash of entertainment!!Nice thread btw.
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Nobody: 1:01am On Jun 26, 2022
Yemideee:
Your review of Chase's novel sounds harsh, it's your personal opinion though and you have a right to express it.

personally,I believe no book can be all in all, hence the need to have diverse taste in literary works...

There are some you read for suspense,some for indulgence while some are mostly educating with a little dash of entertainment!!Nice thread btw.

There is nothing harsh about what I said. I was being honest. The kind of books that he and other writers like Sidney Sheldon write are what you'd call popular fiction: Lots of action and plot, but little in the way of character development and interesting description.

His stories do not explore any themes and his characters are ridiculously two-dimensional and ridden with silly archetypes.

Currently I'm reading a book titled: A Canticle for Leibowitz. It's by Walter Miller. Get the book if you can and compare it with your Hadley Chase books. You'll notice a difference in quality.
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Nobody: 1:13am On Jun 26, 2022
I'm currently read A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr.

This is the best book I've ever read. The prose is beautiful and the story is compelling. I was hooked from the first page. The writing is of exquisite quality.

1 Share

Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by drippingink3: 8:11pm On Jun 26, 2022
Faults in our stars--John Greene
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by MisterRuk(m): 9:20pm On Jun 26, 2022
American Gods - Neil Gaiman
Salem's Lot - Stephen King
Perdido Street Station - China Meville
Interview With The Vampire - Anne Rice
Lord of The Rings Trilogy - Tolkien
Anansi Boys -Neil Gaiman
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jun 26, 2022
MisterRuk:
American Gods - Neil Gaiman
Salem's Lot - Stephen King
Perdido Street Station - China Meville
Interview With The Vampire - Anne Rice
Lord of The Rings Trilogy - Tolkien
Anansi Boys -Neil Gaiman

I have all these books except Interview with the vampire.

Thanks for the recommendation though.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lets Play A Game. / Nationagoment: Satirical Series On Nigeria / Tragedy Of Insanity (based On 'the Madness Of Didi By Obi Egbuna)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.