Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,155 members, 7,821,926 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:57 PM

My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written (1277 Views)

12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” / Strangest Books Ever Written (photos) / Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jun 26, 2022
drippingink3:
Faults in our stars--John Greene

I have The fault in our Stars.

Thanks for the recommendation though.
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by jupitre(m): 10:39pm On Jun 26, 2022
Where did you download them please??
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by TDIsaac(m): 9:15am On Jun 27, 2022
If you like to read motivational/inspirational book, I will recommend this for you: THE UPWARD WAY TO THE TOP IN LIFE AND CAREER. Author: DAYO OJEDIRAN.
Available on amazon.com and okadabooks.com
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by drippingink3: 7:29pm On Jun 27, 2022
I want to believe you have read 'element of style' by E. b. white as an aspiring writer, Hermix.
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Deborah98(f): 7:34pm On Jun 27, 2022
It's good a thing you gave me a follow else I'd have lost this great opportunity. You really were monitoring me when I said to my heart it's time I get back to reading and writing. I actually have a list of books I wrote down to read about life, love and relationships but here I am missing out completely on my track. God is really wonderful. I'll be keeping an eye on your threads to see when you drop Interesting books and novels. I have already penned down most of the books you shared hopefully I'll set to work soon. Thanks dear. It's awesome and amazing meeting my soul mate in literature.
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jun 29, 2022
I just finished A Canticle for Leibowitz and I'm wowed. Such an amazing story with deep religious and dystopian themes, as well as strong catholic symbolism. I really enjoyed the first part of the book. I loved protagonist and rooted for him.

The book is a bit slow, especially for those accustomed to fast paced stories. The writing style is very classic-like, so it might be a different experience for someone used to pulp fiction and YA fiction.

I'll rate the book 8/10 and it's up there in the list of the best books I've ever read .
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jun 29, 2022
I'm currently reading two books and I'll share them with you guys.

I also share pictures of the authors cos I find it to be an interesting addition to my posting style lol
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Nobody: 7:49pm On Jun 29, 2022
I'm currently reading The death of Vivek Orji by Akwaeke Emezi who is currently my second-best Nigerian Author, closely behind Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jun 29, 2022
I'm also reading White Teeth by Zadie Smith

Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by BinamRex: 1:19pm On Jul 01, 2022
Hermix:
I just stocked my shelve with thousands of books. My aim is to read every good book ever written.

This project has two goals. To learn and to improve. I'm not reading to be entertained, athough I'm certain I will be. I'm actually reading to improve my writing. I want to be one of the greatest writers to ever come out of Africa. That's my goal. You can laugh all you want, but every achievement begins as a seed of thought, and I've planted this seed in the fertile soil of my mind. I'll water it constantly by exploring good literature daily, making notes, and studying those notes religiously.

I solemnly invite you all to join me on this journey, or at least be my audience. I'll also appreciate suggestions.

How do I join you? I really want to join you.
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jul 01, 2022
BinamRex:

How do I join you? I really want to join you.

Just get all the books I post and read along with me.
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jul 01, 2022
I just finished The Death of Vivek Orji
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jul 01, 2022
My Review of The Death of Vivek Orji by Akwaeke Emezi

SPOILER ALERT!!!

This was a good read and I'm still recovering from the emotional impact of the story.

This book tackles controversial subjects like homosexuality, gender dysphoria and incest through the life experiences of the titular character Vivek, his family, and his relationship with his cousin Osita and his female friend Juju.

The story primarily follows Vivek's life from adolescence to adulthood as he deals with his sexuality, gender identity and mental illness. The story is told through the eyes of different characters and does not follow a linear time progression, which I found interesting.

I like how Akwaeke explores the genesis of Vivek's gender dysphoria through the prism of reincarnation, as opposed to it just springing out "naturally," without any precusor. I think this makes it easier to swallow for the average Nigerian. Vivek is born on the same day his grandmother dies, and bears an identical foot mark on the same spot his grandmother had hers. Vivek spends his whole life feeling like a woman trapped in the body of a man and tries to break free.

Akwaeke's has a very Chimamanda-esque prose style, which isn't surprising given that she was a student of Chimamanda. Akwaeke infuses a lot of poetry into her writing which lends to its quality. The writing is flawless and not in any way difficult to get into. As someone that's reading to learn and improve my writing, reading this book taught me a lot.

Akwaeke has a talent for telling a story in a way that's profoundly evocative. I felt a lot of emotions reading this book and many times I had to pause to regain my composure before continuing. She also does a good job in bringing the 1990s Nigerian setting and lifestyle to live. I had some nostalgic moments reading this book.

The homosexual and heterosexual sex scenes in this book were well written and I was very aroused reading the later. The homosexual sex scenes were a totally new experience for me, but Akwaeke delivers it in a way that doesn't make you recoil in disgust. She describes the homosexual relationship between the characters in a way that makes the readers feel empathy for them.

My favorite character was Somto and the character I empathized the most with was Osita.

My only criticism of this book was in the final pages where a lot of Akwaeke's personal views gets forced onto the characters in a very inorganic way. I felt it was unnecessary and kinda cringey. But overall this was a very good book.

I rate this book 7/10
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by BinamRex: 5:30am On Jul 02, 2022
Hermix:

Just get all the books I post and read along with me.

Ok, I will
Re: My Reading List: My Quest To Read Every Good Book Ever Written by Nobody: 8:08am On Jul 02, 2022
I'm currently reading a book titled: All quiet at the Western front by Erich Maria Remarque

It's been touted as the greatest war novel of all time so I'm really psyched. I love war history and war stories so I believe I'll enjoy this book.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Never Love A Serial Lover / A Little Poem For The Late Bawomolo / [VIDEO] The Ramblings Of A Poet In Love - Dike Chukwumerije

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.