Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,427 members, 7,819,556 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:05 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 - Travel (162) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 (685503 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (159) (160) (161) (162) (163) (164) (165) ... (534) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Mickey2135: 1:40pm On Dec 17, 2022
TWoods:

Neither answer is good, but 1) is worse. Why would you spend millions of naira to get an associates degree, only to come back to Nigeria to pursue a bachelors, when you already have all you need to enter a bachelors program here in Nigeria?

Find a bachelors degree program in the US.

I will explain further and say “ an associate degree helps me to know what I am diving into and gets me to know about the basics of engineering. Having an associate degree before a bachelor is an added advantage to me in my field of study
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Emperorshegxy: 1:52pm On Dec 17, 2022
Hello, I just got admitted into UNH this week, for spring; which is starting 16th of January, I will like to know how realistic is it to get visa interview with this short period
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Stevecrun5150: 3:21pm On Dec 17, 2022
Mickey2135:

I will explain further and say “ an associate degree helps me to know what I am diving into and gets me to know about the basics of engineering. Having an associate degree before a bachelor is an added advantage to me in my field of study
no U.S.A. consulate will give you a student visa for an associate degree . So, you better stop wasting your time and money . If you’re passionate about an associate degree or it helping you like you said .

Get an admission with a reputable school, also write whatever test the school requires for you to get admitted, have a good sponsor and ties back in Nigeria . Get your admission with the school, and get an associate degree admission on the side . When you get here, transfer your SEVIS to the associate degree and begin your classes .

Associate degrees are nice and good here, what careers and companies care about here is 60hour college credits or more to get a job . But, an associate degree won’t help you get a U.S. visa; unless the visa officer is having a very good day and just wants to give you a visa.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Stevecrun5150: 3:23pm On Dec 17, 2022
Emperorshegxy:
Hello, I just got admitted into UNH this week, for spring; which is starting 16th of January, I will like to know how realistic is it to get visa interview with this short period
very realistic if your interview falls in the next two weeks and depending on if you get a visa . You can always push your admission to Fall .
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Mickey2135: 3:29pm On Dec 17, 2022
Stevecrun5150:
no U.S.A. consulate will give you a student visa for an associate degree . So, you better stop wasting your time and money . If you’re passionate about an associate degree or it helping you like you said .

Get an admission with a reputable school, also write whatever test the school requires for you to get admitted, have a good sponsor and ties back in Nigeria . Get your admission with the school, and get an associate degree admission
on the side . When you get here, transfer your SEVIS to the associate degree and begin your classes .

Associate degrees are nice and good here, what careers and companies care about here is 60hour college credits or more to get a job . But, an associate degree won’t help you get a U.S. visa; unless the visa officer is having a very good day and just wants to give you a visa.

This is wrong you can’t say a US consulate won’t give you a visa because of Associate degree and I will proof you wrong

I have a friend that got their’s

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Stevecrun5150: 3:36pm On Dec 17, 2022
Mickey2135:

This is wrong you can’t say a US consulate won’t give you a visa because of Associate degree and I will proof you wrong

I have a friend that got their’s
like I said and I stand by what I said, it’s very hard and not 100 percent to get a visa with an Associate. And you don’t have to prove nothing to me, I’ve been in the States before you even thought about applying to a U.S. school

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Sisib15: 4:47pm On Dec 17, 2022
Hello, please when a school says submit an unofficial copy of a transcript evaluation completed by an accredited service member of NACES or AICE what does it mean
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Mickey2135: 5:21pm On Dec 17, 2022
Stevecrun5150:
like I said and I stand by what I said, it’s very hard and not 100 percent to get a visa with an Associate. And you don’t have to prove nothing to me, I’ve been in the States before you even thought about applying to a U.S. school

I just hope I get it and since you have been in the states what do you advice ?
Because I have to go to that university?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Nobody: 5:27pm On Dec 17, 2022
My visa interview transcript

Visa: Approved
Name of School: Missouri University of Science and Technology
Funding: Fully funded
Interview date: December 12, 2022

Visa appointment was by 8:15 am. I arrived at 7:50.
After the biometrics, I was directed to join the queue for interview by a male VO.

VO: When did you finish your masters?
Me: February 2021

VO: What major will you study for your PhD?
Me: (I told him)

VO: Your PhD program is funded , right?
Me: Yes, I got a fully-funded PhD offer

VO: What will you do after your PhD?
Me: In the short term, I'd like to apply for post-doctoral position to reinforce my research experience. In the long term, I will return to my home country to work as.... (VO cuts in).

VO: That's okay, I will be approving your visa sir.  You will receive your passport in few days.

Interview finished in approximately 1 minute. I picked up my visa after 2 business days.

Glory be to God!

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by 4gunners(m): 5:27pm On Dec 17, 2022
Sisib15:
Hello, please when a school says submit an unofficial copy of a transcript evaluation completed by an accredited service member of NACES or AICE what does it mean
You should do the evaluation of your transcript. WES evaluation will suffice.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by tiptoe1: 5:29pm On Dec 17, 2022
Mickey2135:

Best thing you can do is to apply to both a university and a community College and you go to the embassy with a university i-20, if you get the visa then you'll transfer to the community College from the university.

Most universities ask you to spend a semester with them before they can transfer your sevis record to the community College but you might be lucky, your university might transfer your record to the community College without you spending a semester. But going to the embassy with a community College i-20 isn't advisable.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Sisib15: 5:52pm On Dec 17, 2022
Please how do i go about it and how much is it
4gunners:
You should do the evaluation of your transcript. WES evaluation will suffice.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Spanishmilf(m): 6:03pm On Dec 17, 2022
TWoods:

No surprise you were denied. Yours is the epitome of someone who has no real interest in education but is simply using this as an avenue to immigrate, and the VOs saw through you.

You’re attending a community college to obtain an associates degree in business administration. That is what poor Americans study to get low paying, low skilled jobs. This is why they ask you why you want to study in the United States, this is not a program or degree that warrants paying such significant sums of money when you can basically get the same degree almost for free in Nigeria.
“avenue to immigrate” if they grant you visa will you come back after studying
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Spanishmilf(m): 6:05pm On Dec 17, 2022
UnaDoWell:

After the biometrics, I was directed to join the queue for interview by a male VO.

Me: In the short term, I'd like to apply for post-doctoral position to reinforce my research experience. In the long term, I will return to my home country to work as.... (VO cuts in).

VO: That's okay, I will be approving your visa sir.  You will receive your passport in few days.

Interview finished in approximately 1 minute. I picked up my visa after 2 business days.

Glory be to God!
congrat boss
Just wanna ask were pple filled up in us consulate in korea? How the deny rate be
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by drjustice17: 6:15pm On Dec 17, 2022
To tell you the truth is very hard to get a visa with an Associate degree in Community College.

Mickey2135:

I will explain further and say “ an associate degree helps me to know what I am diving into and gets me to know about the basics of engineering. Having an associate degree before a bachelor's is an added advantage to me in my field of study
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Fawaz12345: 6:21pm On Dec 17, 2022
Good evening guys, i want to apply to study in US

what are my visa chances, i’m 19.
i’ve been to US on visit visa i still have a valid visa and i’ve also been to Dubai ,my brother is studying in US, My sister is a PR of US through study route, i’ve been denied canada visa twice.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Rocktation(f): 6:40pm On Dec 17, 2022
Fawaz12345:

i’ve been to US on visit visa i still have a valid visa and i’ve also been to Dubai ,my brother is studying in US, My sister is a PR of US through study route, i’ve been denied canada visa twice.

Guy, nobody can confidently predict your chances, based off your superficial details shared. If you want to shoot your shot, cross all your T's and have a go, already. If you never try, you'll never know.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Rocktation(f): 6:51pm On Dec 17, 2022
Stevecrun5150:

Damn..you vawulent. You guys should be chilling abeg.

Everyone is doing a great job of being a support to one another here, but basically, that is all it is-- s u p p o r t. I put it to you that for every supposedly great advice given and tried, someone somewhere has done it in the completely opposite way and achieved maximum success. Even if you advise as a citizen or even VO.

That said, people should lean more to the tested and tried paths oo. Ehen. Don't coman say that I said something something.

Una dohh. Good luck!

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Spanishmilf(m): 6:51pm On Dec 17, 2022
Fawaz12345:

Appointment date is 2024
What happened to you us girlfriend?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Rocktation(f): 6:57pm On Dec 17, 2022
Sisib15:
Please how do i go about it and how much is it

Use Google for basic questions, babe. It might seem like a mean thing to hear from people, but nooo... don't see it like that. Take it as an exercise for your brain, mind and spirit. Because if you can't be bothered with the basic research leading up to the actual program, that most times involves thesis writing, more academic research, teaching experience and blah..Omo, e go hard you, when you get here oo. Smart up.

That said, try WES.org ...I don try abi..take care.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Capitalbase: 6:58pm On Dec 17, 2022
UnaDoWell:

Glory be to God!

Hi bro.
Congratulations on your visa approval.
Is this program for Spring Or Fall 2023?
Did you have to contact any faculty professor or member before or after applying?
I ask because I intend to apply to them soon.
Your response and advice would really help me take the best step.
Thanks.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Rdfactor(m): 7:09pm On Dec 17, 2022
TWoods:
As someone who also went through a phd program, there’s a lot misleading here. When you talk of competitiveness, there are 2 issues at play (and you’re mixing up the two):

1. Getting into the program at all and,
2. Getting funding

PhDs programs are just as competitive to get into, if not harder than msc programs. Most biomedical phd programs consider a “c” grade a failure. 2 “c” grades in any classes will get you automatically terminated.

Funding is a different story, amd for clear reasons which I discuss below. Getting into more phd programs than msc programs doesn’t mean PhDs are less competitive, it simply means the schools aren’t bothering to grant you msc admissions if you are seeking it contingent on the availability of full funding.

Schools do not fund phd programs. These programs are funded typically by external grants. E.g. NIEHS training grants, T-32 grants or individual PI grants. These grants are targeted towards full time research so you are less likely to find them at masters level. That’s why schools require you to pay your own way at masters level, because few, if any, external funds are available.

This makes no sense. Schools do not fund phd programs… pls see above. The idea that Princeton or Cornell “funds” phd programs to encourage international students to apply is laughable.

It's fine if it's been a long time you passed through the system and might not know how things work. Getting into a Msc is easy if you're coming with your money. However, when it comes to funding, PhD is easily get funded because to the school, it's just another job. And more easier to pay 3 graduate stipend with the equivalent Money they can use to fund an assistant professor into the department. So, graduate program is a way the school also cut cost. Likewise, not all PI get funding. If your PI don't have funding, your best option is to TA. TAs are basically a department thing and the money is generated from through the graduate school from their endowment. Investors invest and they get money. Its not all the time professor have funding and most professors in some school don't even. I'm talking about specifics of the US programs

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Rdfactor(m): 7:12pm On Dec 17, 2022
Stevecrun5150:

Get an admission with a reputable school, also write whatever test the school requires for you to get admitted, have a good sponsor and ties back in Nigeria . Get your admission with the school, and get an associate degree admission on the side . When you get here, transfer your SEVIS to the associate degree and begin your classes .

LoL. Might be Wrong. US consulates issue visa for a degree like that. Saying"No consulates" isn't totally correct. I used to think like this too, but I have had people who got visa approved. There's no one fits all rule about these things. Although, an associate degree might look like a red flag sometimes, and visa can be denied in some cases, but not all cases

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Mickey2135: 7:13pm On Dec 17, 2022
tiptoe1:

Best thing you can do is to apply to both a university and a community College and you go to the embassy with a university i-20, if you get the visa then you'll transfer to the community College from the university.

Most universities ask you to spend a semester with them before they can transfer your sevis record to the community College but you might be lucky, your university might transfer your record to the community College without you spending a semester. But going to the embassy with a community College i-20 isn't advisable.

Okay thanks

But if I choose to go to the Embassy with a community college I-20

What do you propose I say when I am asked
Why did I choose this college?
What do you plan to do after your schooling?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Stevecrun5150: 7:25pm On Dec 17, 2022
Mickey2135:

like everyone here is telling you ;go ahead and go with your associate and hope it works for you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Najdorf: 7:27pm On Dec 17, 2022
Rocktation:

Use Google for basic questions, babe. It might seem like a mean thing to hear from people, but nooo... don't see it like that. Take it as an exercise for your brain, mind and spirit. Because if you can't be bothered with the basic research leading up to the actual program, that most times involve thesis writing, more academic research, teaching experience and blah..Omo, e go hard you, when you get here oo. Smart up.

That said, try WES.org ...I don try abi..take care.
Why all this vawulence cheesy
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Rocktation(f): 7:35pm On Dec 17, 2022
Najdorf:

Why all this vawulence cheesy

No oo..I have since left in peace oo. Bye again. tongue
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Tallvictor23: 8:54pm On Dec 17, 2022
Mickey2135:

Try to get a conditional acceptance letter from a university and take it with you to the embassy with your associate I-20 .
You can still get your visa with an associate I-20 , but you have to prove to the consular that you will transfer to a 4 year school after your degree and the best way to do that is to get a conditional acceptance to a 4 year school , the conditional acceptance from the four year school is a partial admission letter ; it says that after your 2 years from your community college that they will accept you once you get the required gpa and show prove of funds .
Now this will still not be easy because the consular might not even ask you about your plans for the next four years or even care about what your about to say next. The consular frowns at community colleges because it’s weird for you to spend a lot of money to come and go back to your home country with an associate.

I’ll always say , I believe the embassy and visas is grace , but u also have to be prepared and prepared and prepared. And pls don’t take anything fraudulent with you when going there . Wish you the best .
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by TWoods(m): 9:42pm On Dec 17, 2022
Rdfactor:

It's fine if it's been a long time you passed through the system and might not know how things work. Getting into a Msc is easy if you're coming with your money. However, when it comes to funding, PhD is easily get funded because to the school, it's just another job. And more easier to pay 3 graduate stipend with the equivalent Money they can use to fund an assistant professor into the department. So, graduate program is a way the school also cut cost. Likewise, not all PI get funding. If your PI don't have funding, your best option is to TA. TAs are basically a department thing and the money is generated from through the graduate school from their endowment. Investors invest and they get money. Its not all the time professor have funding and most professors in some school don't even. I'm talking about specifics of the US programs

I’m not going to argue with you… to say “most professors” don’t have funding is downright silly. How do you think they maintain their research labs?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by EbenezerAyomide: 9:47pm On Dec 17, 2022
Hello everyone,
Good evening
Please guys,I don't know how to go about this or how to merge it,am really confused, please,help me out..thanks.
Degree:b.sc in information science/technology
Sponsor =Dad
Occupation =Taffic engineer @ a construction company in qatar
Where he stay at the moment =qatar
Annual income i don't know what to put because when I checked it online the annul income is lesser than my study program per year in the us.
Please everyone what do you suggest I say about this sponsor part,I want the answer to be in the form of having connection with home ties and that it will show that I would be coming back after my schoolprogram,I've been trying to rack my brain on how to compose it since morningbut I haven't gotten it yet,pls,guy help me out...thanks �,

(1) (2) (3) ... (159) (160) (161) (162) (163) (164) (165) ... (534) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 4 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11

Viewing this topic: Alchelm7(m), Ulom30, mayford and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.