Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,018 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:10 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 - Travel (207) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 (681825 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) (210) ... (532) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by YoungWizard007: 7:28am On Jan 28, 2023
[quote author=TijaniAk12345 post=120424361][/quote]

Hi, scholarship or sponsored
I'll like to apply for undergraduate CS if by scholarship
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by EmeDavid: 7:51am On Jan 28, 2023
Bro I no get a single publication, no masters, no GRE at all.
infosoftlife:

How many publications do you have?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by EmeDavid: 8:34am On Jan 28, 2023
I don't understand, funding for what? Is it for application fee waiver or admission? Please give me guidelines.
Sisib15:
Just a subtle reminder that February is around the corner, virtual grad fair invites will be sent by graduate school make sure you attend these meetings because sometimes, these may be interviews and that's how they decide if they will be give you funding or not.

I wish us all a good news in the coming month.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by EmeDavid: 8:44am On Jan 28, 2023
I've been denied again! This is my second denial, one from Colorado State University, and the second one this early morning from the University of Utah. All Ph.D. programs, bioscience.

I lost interest in everything now. I am about to lose hope regarding the remaining applications. It's like my dream is about to be shattered,! I don't have masters, no GRE, no publication, no presentation.

Please room, what do I do? I just applied to only one school for masters, mean while the rest are Ph.D.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by EmeDavid: 8:50am On Jan 28, 2023
My only reason for applying to a Ph.D. instead of going for a master's first is based on the funding. Most masters do not find their students, many are partial funding, meanwhile, just very few may be fully funded.

Traveling without enough funding it's not worth it unless you have the finance, otherwise, it will be very difficult to survive.

I can't accept any offer if it's not fully funded, provided that I didn't come from a rich family. I have three more schools for Ph.D. and just one for Masters. But the master's is not my line of study. I'm am a Biochemist and the school It's environmental and earth science, but if accepted, it's fully funded. I'm just confused.

At this time, I want to hear lies, just to console myself
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Sisib15: 9:50am On Jan 28, 2023
Calm down first!! Admission rejection is not the end of the world. Just be calm first. Maybe you should talk to someone to guide you. Phd is not as easy as you think and it's quiet competitive.
EmeDavid:
My only reason for applying to a Ph.D. instead of going for a master's first is based on the funding. Most masters do not find their students, many are partial funding, meanwhile, just very few may be fully funded.

Traveling without enough funding it's not worth it unless you have the finance, otherwise, it will be very difficult to survive.

I can't accept any offer if it's not fully funded, provided that I didn't come from a rich family. I have three more schools for Ph.D. and just one for Masters. But the master's is not my line of study. I'm am a Biochemist and the school It's environmental and earth science, but if accepted, it's fully funded. I'm just confused.

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Sisib15: 9:52am On Jan 28, 2023
Funding for admission because one of my friends got a fully funded phd offer from Washington University for fall 2023 and they interviewed her during the virtual fair.
EmeDavid:
I don't understand, funding for what? Is it for application fee waiver or admission? Please give me guidelines.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by bucade11: 10:00am On Jan 28, 2023
Anyone going to Purdue University or who’s currently in Purdue. I would like to know what to expect in the admission committee interview.
Thank you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by EmeDavid: 10:04am On Jan 28, 2023
Honestly, I would love to contact someone who will guide me. Currently, I have convinced myself to accept the fate that us most likely I won't be getting any offer this fall anymore.

I'm more curious on what to do to improve my application and give it a shot again the next fall 2024.

Please anyone here to guide?

Base on the remaining schools, it's only God can do it, as it stand now, my only hope it's God, any other thing I'm out.
Sisib15:
Calm down first!! Admission rejection is not the end of the world. Just be calm first. Maybe you should talk to someone to guide you. Phd is not as easy as you think and it's quiet competitive.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by EmeDavid: 10:05am On Jan 28, 2023
Have you been contacted already? Someone will reply to you anyways, Goodluck
bucade11:
Anyone going to Purdue University or who’s currently in Purdue. I would like to know what to expect in the admission committee interview.
Thank you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Sisib15: 10:23am On Jan 28, 2023
What i would advise is that you should take some standardized test like GRE and score very high above 300 If I am not mistaken, regarding recommendation letters, write the letters yourself and send it to your recommenders. Secondly, do WES evaluation if you have the money.
Thirdly, your Statement of Purpose. Is it well written. You can write and give it to like three people to scrutinize it for you. Even if you will outsource your SOP write your story by yourself first.
Regarding publication, start writing now
you can publish it on research gate.
When applying to schools, choose schools that you are above their requirements and at at same time meet your needs.

Finally, don't forget to read previous threads. You can put your course of study on google and add nairaland behind it. This search will take you to previous threads and those who have done something similar to yours. I wish you all the best
EmeDavid:
Honestly, I would love to contact someone who will guide me. Currently, I have convinced myself to accept the fate that us most likely I won't be getting any offer this fall anymore.

I'm more curious on what to do to improve my application and give it a shot again the next fall 2024.

Please anyone here to guide?

Base on the remaining schools, it's only God can do it, as it stand now, my only hope it's God, any other thing I'm out.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Kaka118: 10:35am On Jan 28, 2023
If one does go for the interview and hasn't paid SEVIS fee, and the person is denied will the person be still asked to pay the SEVIS fee or just denied and given blue paper.
AbbeCharlotte:
Meet the basic eligibility requirements for a student visa. This includes being accepted into an approved school or program, being able to financially support yourself, and having a residence outside of the USA that you intend to return to after completing your studies.

Gather all the required documents for your student visa application, including your passport, academic transcripts, proof of financial support, and a Form I-20 or DS-2019 (issued by the school you will be attending).

Schedule and attend a visa interview at a US Embassy or Consulate. You will need to bring your required documents and pay the visa application fee.

After the interview, your application will be reviewed and a decision will be made on your visa. If your visa is approved, you will need to pay a SEVIS fee and make sure you have your I-20 or DS-2019 before you travel to the USA.

Keep in mind that rules and procedures for student visa can change over time, so it's important to check with the US Embassy or Consulate for the most up-to-date information
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by iamola30: 11:07am On Jan 28, 2023
EmeDavid:

PhD admission and funding ain't beans, you gotta prepare hard and it's competitive as hell.

Are you ready?

You're competing with Indians, Asians, Pakistanis, and co.

To me, I'll say go to school that's unpopular. Not all US schools are the same in terms of pre-requisites.

Alot of Master's program I know funds their Student.

Some fund their Student after getting admission, while some, their own way is they automatically funds their admits.

There's no one straight way to grad school (Ms or PhD).

Look at your profile, and choose school accordingly.

Next time, shoot your shots to more MSc programs. Apply to at least 10 schools.

Make the grad Coordinator your paddy, ask them deep questions about opportunities in their program and email them regularly. That way, you'll remain in their mind when it comes to funding.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by YoungWizard007: 11:18am On Jan 28, 2023
chibertha:
Marshall university has waived application fees for graduate school application for summer and fall 2023
You might want to take advantage of it
www.marshall.edu

Thanks for the info
Have applied
Waiver is for both graduate and undergraduate

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by EmeDavid: 11:44am On Jan 28, 2023
How did you get the waiver bro?
YoungWizard007:

Thanks for the info
Have applied
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by MzMay(f): 11:45am On Jan 28, 2023
YoungWizard007:

Thanks for the info
Have applied

I just applied too but the checklist for international application fee is not marked
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Tallvictor23: 11:47am On Jan 28, 2023
AbbeCharlotte:
Meet the basic eligibility requirements for a student visa. This includes being accepted into an approved school or program, being able to financially support yourself, and having a residence outside of the USA that you intend to return to after completing your studies.

Gather all the required documents for your student visa application, including your passport, academic transcripts, proof of financial support, and a Form I-20 or DS-2019 (issued by the school you will be attending).

Schedule and attend a visa interview at a US Embassy or Consulate. You will need to bring your required documents and pay the visa application fee.

After the interview, your application will be reviewed and a decision will be made on your visa. If your visa is approved, you will need to pay a SEVIS fee and make sure you have your I-20 or DS-2019 before you travel to the USA.

Keep in mind that rules and procedures for student visa can change over time, so it's important to check with the US Embassy or Consulate for the most up-to-date information

Aren’t you suppose to pay sevis fee even before going to the embassy ? .a visa can be refused for not paying the fee . I think paying the sevis is necessary before going to the embassy for your interview.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Tallvictor23: 11:50am On Jan 28, 2023
Kaka118:
If one does go for the interview and hasn't paid SEVIS fee, and the person is denied will the person be still asked to pay the SEVIS fee or just denied and given blue paper.

I think you have to pay sevis fee before even going for your interview. Don’t go without paying your sevis fee .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Icesnow(f): 12:20pm On Jan 28, 2023
mantics:

Yes, you can defer your admission. Depends on the stage you are in the process. Do you have your visa already? Also check out your school requirements as regards this. If you are funded, ask if you won't lose the funding.
Alright, thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by chibertha(f): 12:26pm On Jan 28, 2023
It is automatically applied after submitting your application you will see it in the next step that will be mailed so I gathered from my friend
See attached image
Zihno:

Hello,

Please how do we get the waiver? Is it automatically applied? No place on the website mentions this.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Zihno: 12:27pm On Jan 28, 2023
chibertha:
It is automatically applied after submitting your application you will see it in the next step that will be mailed so I gathered from my friend

Thank you very much. Can you please provide some insider information as to the departments that grant full tuition waivers?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by chibertha(f): 12:30pm On Jan 28, 2023
In Nigeria you pay SEVIS before interview.

AbbeCharlotte:

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by chibertha(f): 12:36pm On Jan 28, 2023
Do not give up.
I got a lot of denials spanning 10yrs.
Just get yourself busy while at it.
All you need is just one yes.
I will advise you face schools that are not too popular and are in states that people do not like going to

EmeDavid:
I've been denied again! This is my second denial, one from Colorado State University, and the second one this early morning from the University of Utah. All Ph.D. programs, bioscience.

I lost interest in everything now. I am about to lose hope regarding the remaining applications. It's like my dream is about to be shattered,! I don't have masters, no GRE, no publication, no presentation.

Please room, what do I do? I just applied to only one school for masters, mean while the rest are Ph.D.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by chibertha(f): 12:41pm On Jan 28, 2023
General questions like what is your interest, why your interest
What have you been up to.
Put a lot of passion in your voice while talking.
You ask them which part of the city is better and cheaper to stay at as a student.
Are you going to Lafayette? Beautiful city and easy to reach.

bucade11:
Thank you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by chibertha(f): 12:48pm On Jan 28, 2023
I love you.
While some people busy asking plenty questions you went ahead and tried it.

Keep me in the loop so that I can keep you updated ok.
See you in Huntington soon

YoungWizard007:

Thanks for the info
Have applied
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by chibertha(f): 12:55pm On Jan 28, 2023
Haha
Mathematics
Geography
Biotechnology
Biology
Some departments in school of business

For
70% fee waiver check
Library
Dean of students office
Women center
Admission office
School of pharmacy reception
Carrer center
Higher education for learning problems center (H.E.L.P)
LGBTQ
Intercultural
Hostel
Recreational center
The list is endless.

Zihno:

Thank you very much. Can you please provide some insider information as to the departments that grant full tuition waivers?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by YoungWizard007: 12:58pm On Jan 28, 2023
MzMay:

I just applied too but the checklist for international application fee is not marked

Mine was waived
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by YoungWizard007: 1:02pm On Jan 28, 2023
EmeDavid:
How did you get the waiver bro?
Just apply, upon submission you see it checked
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by YoungWizard007: 1:07pm On Jan 28, 2023
chibertha:
I love you.
While some people busy asking plenty questions you went ahead and tried it.

Keep me in the loop so that I can keep you updated ok.
See you in Huntington soon

Thank you so much
True information is power

Have got questions

1) can I open 2 applications, for graduate and undergraduate
2) and if I do hope that won't hinder any form of consideration for admission
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by chibertha(f): 1:12pm On Jan 28, 2023
Small tip
If you know very well in your heart that your funds will not be easy in coming from home please target Spring semester. So that you can make up during summer semester when the money comes from "home".

Zihno:

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Zihno: 1:13pm On Jan 28, 2023
chibertha:
Haha
Mathematics
Geography
Biotechnology
Biology
Some departments in school of business

For
70% fee waiver check
Library
Dean of students office
Women center
Admission office
School of pharmacy reception
Carrer center
Higher education for learning problems center (H.E.L.P)
LGBTQ
Intercultural
Hostel
Recreational center
The list is endless.

Thank you very much. I just emailed a professor in Mechanical Engineering and I’m hoping he responds soon. Doesn’t Mechanical Engineering fund their graduate students?

(1) (2) (3) ... (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) (210) ... (532) (Reply)

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19

Viewing this topic: Greatkenny2 and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.