Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,194 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 - Travel (509) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 (682220 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (506) (507) (508) (509) (510) (511) (512) ... (532) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Debbieeeeeee: 6:52pm On Apr 05
Padraic:

Hello, I am currently in your position. This is what I did. This will be a long post, I apologize.

I finished my MA in the UK in 2021. Post graduation, I was working part time here and there, as per UK usual. I applied for fall 2024 to 8 universities, all fully funded programs. I go admitted into 3, 1 waitlist, and 4 rejections. I just did my visa interview last month, it was granted. My Visa is arriving soon.

Key things to note.

My masters and PhD is in exactly the same field. So I am not jumping from A to B.

I have never ever been to the US before, nor have I ever applied for their Visa.

My PhD is fully funded with over 10k excess left over.

My interview lasted like 2mins.

Please, please, please.... apply to the best school you can enter. The school is very very important and will affect your visa. School and funding is the most important thing from my experience. It is harder to deny a havard or princeton scholar than someone going to rashford state university or Onana school of business. I see people talking about home ties and all that, THAT IS A NIGERIA PROBLEM AND YOU ARE IN THE UK. THAT PROBLEM IS BENEATH YOU!!!

VO in Nigeria are people with prejudice and strong belief that we all want to run away and never return. They are very tight. It is not like that abroad. If you can, go to Belfast for the interview, things are very chill there. The VO are soft friendly people.

Apply to a top school, the best you can get into and have full funding. When asked about post graduation plans... I said "to go back to Nigeria and use my skills in education, research and development". Just show intent to go back home, all that home ties nonsense is BENEATH you.

Now, for your application, make sure you write GRE, you dont need toefl. I wrote GRE twice. Try to score above 300. I scored 312. Just try your best, please. Try to study well in school and graduate with a good grade. Transcript matters alot. I made merit.

Try to score a first class score in your thesis, it really really helps. Make sure atleast two of your references are from your UK university. Try to not use Nigerian professors. They don't rate our things. Its unfair but that's the way of the world.

I applied to Emory, UMCP, Ohio state university, Indiana university, Purdue, Bowling green state university, UPenn, and Penn state. Look for schools in top 150 or so. Dont go too far down. You need a top school so they can shower you with so much funding and you will be confident for interview.

Try to publish your Masters thesis before you apply, it really helps. Also I wanted to apply to 12 schools, but I stopped after my second admission offer came in.

BE CONFIDENT WHEN YOU GET THERE FOR INTERVIEW. TALK LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE SAYING.

GO FORTH AND CONQUER!!!!!!

No over think am, it is not rocket science.

Congratulations on your seamless visa experience but showing intent to return to Nigeria is also home ties. If you have had a different answer to that question on post study plans, the interview would have probably gone south. In that split second you established home ties to Nigeria. Home ties is not beneath anyone, not only Nigerians get denied visas.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by OyoTunjiUSA(m): 6:53pm On Apr 05
Phraser:
Is it possible to pay SEVIS fee online? I couldn't find a way to pay it online, so I had someone in the U.S. visit a Western Union branch; but he was told that he couldn't pay it on my behalf, that I had to be physically present before they can process the payment.

This doesn't seem sensible. Could someone kindly explain how I can pay the fee, online if possible?

Hey 🤠

*** Your USA contact did not really want to do the stress , but he could not really pay it in that location and hence, he came up with the excuse .

1. Not all Western Union outlets in Europe, Australia, USA , and Canada can pay SEVIS fee.

2. Beg your friend again to go to Western Union outlet where they have " Bill Pay " So that they can pay with Western Union Quick Pay online .

3. You have to initiate the payment procedure by going to SEVIS website and fill the Payment Coupon which you will print out and scan (email) to your friend. Your friend will inturn print out your SEVIS Payment Coupon which he would tender at the payment location .

Best Wishes 🙏

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Debbieeeeeee: 7:15pm On Apr 05
Phraser:
Is it possible to pay SEVIS fee online? I couldn't find a way to pay it online, so I had someone in the U.S. visit a Western Union branch; but he was told that he couldn't pay it on my behalf, that I had to be physically present before they can process the payment.

This doesn't seem sensible. Could someone kindly explain how I can pay the fee, online if possible?
So you need to generate a coupon on the i94 website just follow the steps to do so it’s clearly written on the website and send that coupon to your U.S. contact have him print it out or something , when they get to the WU office they’ll have to first use the self service machine then the machine will direct them to the representative there who will then conclude the transaction and you immediately get an email once it’s done

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Tim37: 7:20pm On Apr 05
Good Evening everyone!
I need your advise pertaining this situation. In the place of my educational requirement in the DS-160, I only filled in my undergraduate school details which i have submitted, i never knew my secondary school details would be required. is there any penalty to such mistake? i am vying for an F1. Anticipating your responses,
regards.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by OyoTunjiUSA(m): 7:31pm On Apr 05
Tim37:

Good Evening everyone!
I need your advise pertaining this situation. In the place of my educational requirement in the DS-160, I only filled in my undergraduate school details which i have submitted, i never knew my secondary school details would be required. is there any penalty to such mistake? i am vying for an F1. Anticipating your responses,
regards.

Hey 🤠

1. There is no penalty for it, but it can springboard a consular' s (who is undecided for few munites ) decision to deny your F1 visa by labelling you a Careless Student .

2. Henceforth , from your CV, and any major bio data or profile forms , be certain that your High School (Seconday) starts the listing of your academic profile .

3. Go and fill another DS -160 and start with your Seconday School .

Best Wishes 🙏
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Tim37: 8:13pm On Apr 05
OyoTunjiUSA:

Hey 🤠

1. There is no penalty for it, but it can springboard a consular' s (who is undecided for few munites ) decision to deny your F1 visa by labelling you a Careless Student .

2. Henceforth , from your CV, and any major bio data or profile forms , be certain that your High School (Seconday) starts the listing of your academic profile .

3. Go and fill another DS -160 and start with your Seconday School .

Best Wishes 🙏

Thanks for the feedback.
Should i fill another one and take it alongside with the previous one, or i should fill another one and update the CGI profile before heading for the interview? I need your guidance on this, i am sort of a novice.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by OyoTunjiUSA(m): 8:23pm On Apr 05
Tim37:

Thanks for the feedback.
Should i fill another one and take it alongside with the previous one, or i should fill another one and update the CGI profile before heading for the interview? I need your guidance on this, i am sort of a novice.

Hey 🤠

1. Fill another one . Update it in your cgi profile and print another appointment letter 3 days after updating (the new ds 160) so that the new ds 160 confirmation number will reflect in your visa appointment letter . Destroy the old DS 160 and go with the new one .

Best Wishes 🙏
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Taal17: 9:11pm On Apr 05
ceeejaytee:

Thank you!! This is really informative. I actually thought out of state fees are like other states within the US
It's is for both if you're resident in other states then typically you're subject to out of state fees.
Intl students also subject to out-of state fees.

Also if you get funding that says you have tuition waiver please check if that tuition waiver is for in state fees or out of state fees else ypu will still have a deficit

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by liliberth: 9:17pm On Apr 05
Just to ask this one that US schools are still having intake for this Sept. Is it normal or they just didn't have enough student apply for programs.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Padraic: 10:05pm On Apr 05
Debbieeeeeee:

Congratulations on your seamless visa experience but showing intent to return to Nigeria is also home ties. If you have had a different answer to that question on post study plans, the interview would have probably gone south. In that split second you established home ties to Nigeria. Home ties is not beneath anyone, not only Nigerians get denied visas.

Before my interview, I saw how people were discussing proving home ties with marriage, father, mother, friends, and family. This is exactly what I am saying is beneath you when you're apply from this side. Showing intent to go back after studying is a sure prerequisite for any student visa, anywhere in the world. But going the extra mile to be explaining, discussing, and showing how the fact that you have family, wife, or kids in Nigeria is not necessary here. No single person I know, was asked that.

I don't know how to explain this but I hope you get my point.

And this is why going to a good school with soft funding is very important. When you have that, the VO will not waste his or her time to ask you irrelevant questions. Straight one or two basic question then move ahead. Why will a VO be wasting time here, asking you to explain home ties when you're going to Purdue or University of Chicago? He would rather ask you something like "tell me about your research", just to test you. once you give them STUFF, they'll know that you're not playing. Visa approved, sharp sharp.

I agree you must show intent to come back, but to be explaining up and down trying to prove home ties, is not necessary at all.

When you get to Belfast office, the place is so calm. No bad belle or bias, you can literally smell you visa approval. Honestly, those VO for naija dey very harsh, unnecessarily.

But it's okay sha, each to it's own.

It is well

7 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Debbieeeeeee: 10:35pm On Apr 05
Padraic:

Before my interview, I saw how people were discussing proving home ties with marriage, father, mother, friends, and family. This is exactly what I am saying is beneath you when you're apply from this side. Showing intent to go back after studying is a sure prerequisite for any student visa, anywhere in the world. But going the extra mile to be explaining, discussing, and showing how the fact that you have family, wife, or kids in Nigeria is not necessary here. No single person I know, was asked that.

I don't know how to explain this but I hope you get my point.

And this is why going to a good school with soft funding is very important. When you have that, the VO will not waste his or her time to ask you irrelevant questions. Straight one or two basic question then move ahead. Why will a VO be wasting time here, asking you to explain home ties when you're going to Purdue or University of Chicago? He would rather ask you something like "tell me about your research", just to test you. once you give them STUFF, they'll know that you're not playing. Visa approved, sharp sharp.

I agree you must show intent to come back, but to be explaining up and down trying to prove home ties, is not necessary at all.

When you get to Belfast office, the place is so calm. No bad belle or bias, you can literally smell you visa approval. Honestly, those VO for naija dey very harsh, unnecessarily.

But it's okay sha, each to it's own.

It is well

I understand your sentiments 😂 but it’s not this bad bad here in Nigeria at least not for me and a few others, my interviews have been quite brief and straight to the point not lasting longer than 2 minutes. But I completely understand the point you’re trying to make now.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Gokoyer1401: 10:50pm On Apr 05
I got the point the OP was trying to make also.
To let you know, some Nigerians in diaspora trying to re-japa to USA or Canada are still getting their visa refused. Infact, I know someone with Swedish Permanent residence that got negative decision on his Canadian study permit. One of the reasons he was denied was that, the VO did not sure if he will leave Canada after his study. Also my cousin got his US visit visa rejected few years ago in Germany. Though my cousin has work permit in Germany at the time..

Lets just hope for a better Nigeria.
Debbieeeeeee:

I understand your sentiments 😂 but it’s not this bad bad here in Nigeria at least not for me and a few others, my interviews have been quite brief and straight to the point not lasting longer than 2 minutes. But I completely understand the point you’re trying to make now.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Debbieeeeeee: 10:57pm On Apr 05
Gokoyer1401:
I got the point the OP was trying to make also.
To let you know, some Nigerians in diaspora trying to re-japa to USA or Canada are still getting their visa refused. Infact, I know someone with Swedish Permanent residence that got negative decision on his Canadian study permit. One of the reasons he was denied was that, the VO did not sure if he will leave Canada after his study. Also my cousin got his US visit visa rejected few years ago in Germany. Though my cousin has work permit in Germany at the time..

Lets just hope for a better Nigeria.
True, you’re right

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by samsolite(m): 10:35am On Apr 06
fearlessfang:
Whenever I have the bandwidth, I would come here and address fully about home ties.

Don't mind those racoons telling you, you need have landed property, billions, business, wife, kids to prove home ties.

There are several factors that a visa officer is looking out for.
1. Are you a genuine student who is going to the US to school and not for any other purpose the visa doesn't serve?
2. When such questions as "What do you intend to do after studies" is pretty much your home tie. US embassy in so many occasion do not even ask you for a single document. Here they are expecting you to state what you'll do after studies. Response like this would take away your immigrant intent "I intend to return to Nigeria and do x and x or I intend to Nigeria to continue with my present company on x and x capacity."
3. Remember that F-1 is a non-immigrant visa and the Visa Officer is there to look out if you are going to abide by your visa class, meaning they expect that after your studies you have plans of leaving the US or returning to Nigeria.
4. Visa interview on a good day do not even last more than 3-5 mins. I can tell mine didn't last more than 3 mins as only 3 questions was asked, now what time does the visa officer start accessing if you have billions saved, landed property, businesses etc.
5. The visa officers are addressing and adjudicating based on their discretion.

I don't have much time at the moment, but I'll be devoting 30 mins every weekend to shed more lights on interview questions.

Please, stay the hell away from Agents on this thread. Stay away, they are all hungry peasants

Thank you so much and i just followed you to get firsthand updates.

We need people like you on this thread

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by samsolite(m): 10:58am On Apr 06
fearlessfang:
University of Tennessee Knoxville, Kent State University, university of southern mississippi

Florida State University. You can apply for MPH directly
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by 4gunners(m): 2:06pm On Apr 06
fearlessfang:
Whenever I have the bandwidth, I would come here and address fully about home ties.

Don't mind those racoons telling you, you need have landed property, billions, business, wife, kids to prove home ties.

There are several factors that a visa officer is looking out for.
1. Are you a genuine student who is going to the US to school and not for any other purpose the visa doesn't serve?
2. When such questions as "What do you intend to do after studies" is pretty much your home tie. US embassy in so many occasion do not even ask you for a single document. Here they are expecting you to state what you'll do after studies. Response like this would take away your immigrant intent "I intend to return to Nigeria and do x and x or I intend to Nigeria to continue with my present company on x and x capacity."
3. Remember that F-1 is a non-immigrant visa and the Visa Officer is there to look out if you are going to abide by your visa class, meaning they expect that after your studies you have plans of leaving the US or returning to Nigeria.
4. Visa interview on a good day do not even last more than 3-5 mins. I can tell mine didn't last more than 3 mins as only 3 questions was asked, now what time does the visa officer start accessing if you have billions saved, landed property, businesses etc.
5. The visa officers are addressing and adjudicating based on their discretion.

I don't have much time at the moment, but I'll be devoting 30 mins every weekend to shed more lights on interview questions.

Please, stay the hell away from Agents on this thread. Stay away, they are all hungry peasants
lol You just reinforced some of the points made by the “racoons”. One size doesn’t fits it all in terms of showing home ties. Either by having a good job, a family in Nigeria or whichever way, you need to show ties to Nigeria.

At end of they it’s still at the discretion of the VO, You might be jobless, single and still get approved.

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Alakoriomo: 3:20pm On Apr 06
OyoTunjiUSA:

Hey 🤠

1. Fill another one . Update it in your cgi profile and print another appointment letter 3 days after updating (the new ds 160) so that the new ds 160 confirmation number will reflect in your visa appointment letter . Destroy the old DS 160 and go with the new one .

Best Wishes 🙏

I just remembered i didn’t fill my secondary school and my interview is Monday. Damn
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by UZAD: 3:21pm On Apr 06
Please anyone in *University of South carolina* here
Or knows anyone that attends the school, Nigerian Community in South carolina or Student group.

Should help me out.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Alakoriomo: 3:26pm On Apr 06
Please l, what hotel is closer to the embassy in Lagos that is very good? I have my interview soon
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by fearlessfang: 3:49pm On Apr 06
4gunners:
lol You just reinforced some of the points made by the “racoons”. One size doesn’t fits it all in terms of showing home ties. Either by having a good job, a family in Nigeria or whichever way, you need to show ties to Nigeria.

At end of they it’s still at the discretion of the VO, You might be jobless, single and still get approved.
Irritant peasant, I literally mentioned in my last message that it is at the discretion of the VO.

But you docile cowards being manned by a mannequin always fail to use the little sawdust left in your thick skull
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by mcvities(m): 4:03pm On Apr 06
Please, can SEVIS Fee be paid on my behalf by someone in the United Kingdom? If yes, can someone kindly provide a guide on the person can make this payment from the UK?

Has the the naira equivalent of the USA Visa fee been adjusted to reflect current realities by Guaranty Trust Bank?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Jebitoye: 4:13pm On Apr 06
As a Nigerian who has completed my studies in Italy and secured employment, I am now seeking to further my education in the United States. Should I apply for my visa in Nigeria or from Italy? Kindly advise me.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by 4gunners(m): 4:58pm On Apr 06
fearlessfang:
Irritant peasant, I literally mentioned in my last message that it is at the discretion of the VO.

But you docile cowards being manned by a mannequin always fail to use the little sawdust left in your thick skull
Hey, hope you’re not going through any challenges. Be calm please, you will push through.

6 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by OyoTunjiUSA(m): 5:12pm On Apr 06
mcvities:
Please, can SEVIS Fee be paid on my behalf by someone in the United Kingdom? If yes, can someone kindly provide a guide on the person can make this payment from the UK?

Has the the naira equivalent of the USA Visa fee been adjusted to reflect current realities by Guaranty Trust Bank?

Hey 🤠

1. Yes SEVIS fee can be paid from the UK but tell the person paying for you that he or she should look for a Western Union outlet ( ie, gas station, hypermarket, pharmaceutical store, bank, etc) that has "Bill Pay " (only WU outlet with Bill Pay facility can pay SEVIS fee).

2. Before the above , go to SEVIS website and fill your own payment coupon . You will copy your SEVIS ID (as reflected on your Form I 20) as well as your school SEVIS CODE on the coupon . Print it out or download it and forward to the person assisting you in the UK. The person must tender the payment coupon to the Western Union outlet to make the payment on your behalf.

3. Go to USA embassy website or GTB for your last question. Or someone might be able answer that.

Best Wishes 🙏

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by OyoTunjiUSA(m): 5:34pm On Apr 06
Jebitoye:
As a Nigerian who has completed my studies in Italy and secured employment, I am now seeking to further my education in the United States. Should I apply for my visa in Nigeria or from Italy? Kindly advise me.

Hey 🤠

1. As a Nigerian who has graduated from an Italian institution and secured employment (in Italy) with that certificate now makes you a Permanent / Legal resident.

2. The above narrative is sufficient enough to use as your Tie to Italy (if we assume that you v got no wife , properties , families etc in Italy).

3. Ipso facto, your main Tie right there in Italy is your job but you must have being working in that organisation for at least minimum of 3 years before you can use it as a JOB TIE ( If you want to apply from Italy) and attach it to your reason for further study in the USA.

4. If you want to apply from Nigeria, you are free to do so without even mentioning your job in Italy. You have a good record already , you went to Italy for study returned to your father land, therefore. the USA consular might believe your coming back story.

5. Ironically, you don't want to tell the USA consular that you left your job in Italy (you have established yourself in Italy already) and come to Nigeria for your F1 visa . You might say , Okay ! I came to check on my mum or wife or family and wanted to use the opportunity to attend the interview *** VO won't buy these reasons because visa process is a premeditated task.

6. Stick to One plan. Apply from Italy. Prove Italy Tie. OR Come to Nigeria and prove Nigeria Tie . ** You must prove returning back ties no matter which country you plan to choose.

Best Wishes 🙏
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by mcvities(m): 6:13pm On Apr 06
Thanks very much

OyoTunjiUSA:

Hey 🤠

1. Yes SEVIS fee can be paid from the UK but tell the person paying for you that he or she should look for a Western Union outlet ( ie, gas station, hypermarket, pharmaceutical store, bank, etc) that has "Bill Pay " (only WU outlet with Bill Pay facility can pay SEVIS fee).

2. Before the above , go to SEVIS website and fill your own payment coupon . You will copy your SEVIS ID (as reflected on your Form I 20) as well as your school SEVIS CODE on the coupon . Print it out or download it and forward to the person assisting you in the UK. The person must tender the payment coupon to the Western Union outlet to make the payment on your behalf.

3. Go to USA embassy website or GTB for your last question. Or someone might be able answer that.

Best Wishes 🙏
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by walexy06(m): 12:31am On Apr 07
Hello all, please anyone with idea of schools I can apply to for PhD in Economics (related)? I have Msc in Economics.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by USAfall2024: 4:25pm On Apr 07
mcvities:

@the bolded: The current rate of #1800/$ is valid till Tuesday (9th of April). So check back on Wednesday, a downward review of the price is long overdue. You can monitor the rate with the link below:
https://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/en/step-3#visa-fees

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by questfunds(m): 5:57pm On Apr 07
UZAD:
Please anyone in *University of South carolina* here
Or knows anyone that attends the school, Nigerian Community in South carolina or Student group.

Should help me out.

I just go admission into this school. I don’t know if you can help with information. Thanks.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by BigIyanga: 6:51pm On Apr 07
Debbieeeeeee:

Thank you for catching that🙌🏿

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Grit2943(m): 6:58pm On Apr 07
USAfall2024:

@the bolded: The current rate of #1800/$ is valid till Tuesday (9th of April). So check back on Wednesday, a downward review of the price is long overdue. You can monitor the rate with the link below:
https://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/en/step-3#visa-fees
The validity date of this exchange rate has been shifted multiple times from April 2 to 6 to 7 and now 9 😯

(1) (2) (3) ... (506) (507) (508) (509) (510) (511) (512) ... (532) (Reply)

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19

Viewing this topic: Samhyme, Ajd19 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.