Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,147 members, 7,811,239 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:24 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 - Travel (62) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 (674447 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) ... (527) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Gigdraft: 6:48pm On Jul 30, 2022
Olu1991:
*PLEASE KINDLY HELP ME IN CHECKING MY TRANSCRIPT AND ASSIST WITH CORRECTIONS*

V.O: Why are you going to the USA?

Me: To pursue my Master’s Degree in Geographic Information Science at Michigan
Technological University where I will be taking courses like Advanced
GIS concepts, GPS field techniques, remote sensing, spatial statistics
and I will be working with Bleep and Bleep and upon the completion of my
programme, I will resume to my duties as a Geographic Information
System Officer with XXXX and after some months I will earn a promotion
to Senior GIS Officer which is a higher and leadership role in the
company.

V.O. Have you been to US before?

Me: No

VO: Have you traveled out of Nigeria Before

Me: No, I have not travelled out of the Country before.

V.O: How many schools did you apply to?

ME: I applied to 3 Schools, Michigan Technological University, Western
Illinois University and Western Michigan University and I got 2 admits
and still awaiting response from the last.

VO: Why do you choose this School?

Me: My childhood friend is currently a Masters Student in the School
recommended the School to me and I have also carried out my research
on the School through its website and conversation with the program
coordinator who is also my supervisor and observed the School has a
well-equipped GIS Laboratory for Practical sessions and one on one
mentoring.

V.O: Why USA?

Me: I have a Post Graduate Diploma in Geographic Information Systems
from Federal School of Surveying, Oyo and I believe I studying in USA
will expose me to more practical and advance techniques in handling
GIS Projects and also implementation of GIS in developed world, making
use of latest Geospatial Softwares available in the lab.

V.O: Why do you choose this course?

Me: I have a Post Graduate Diploma in Geographic Information Systems
from Federal School of Surveying, Oyo with a CGPA of 3.83/5.0, I need
to further my education in this field, so that I can have the
practical knowledge of executing and implementing GIS projects as its
been carried out in the developed world. After the completion of this
course, I will have the opportunity of having a leadership role in the
company.

VO: Where do you work presently?

Me: I work as a Geographic Information System Officer with Bleep. A
Company that specializes in Planning, mapping, remote sensing and
photogrammetry. I have worked at the Company for 7 months now and I
perform duties such as acquiring Spatial data using land surveying.
Satellite imagery, aerial surveying, I am involved in the processing
and visualization of spatial data using geospatial softwares such as
Arcgis, also I am involved in Design and Management of Database. I am
also involved in GIS training on available GIS Software packages.

V.O: do you have a study leave?

Me: The Management of the Company have decided to give me a special
consideration for Study leave having worked for 7 Months in the
Company after the approval of my visa and I will be bonded to work for
4 years with the company when I return.

VO: Were you previously employed?

Me: Yes, I worked Bleep from September 2017 to December 2021 where I
worked as an Administrative Officer. I decided to switch career
because I need to pursue my dream career in the field of Geographic
Information Science. I am happy working in my own field and hoping for
the best in my chosen career.

VO: What will you do when you graduate?

Me: After my masters, I will return to NIGERIA to resume my duties in
my current place of work and later, I will earn a promotion to Senior
GIS Officer which is a higher and leadership role in the company. But
on the long-run, I want to set up a Geospatial Company which will
focus on connecting business and decision makers to a world of data
and solutions. I am committed to having this career that will enable
me to mentor and lead young graduate who have chosen this career.

VO: Who is sponsoring you?
VO: So what kind of business does he do?.

Me: My biological Brother is sponsoring me, he is the Managing
Director of xxxx which specializes in the Importation of cars and
spare parts of vehicles from USA and Europe with offices in 3 States,
Lagos, Kwara and Abuja, he earns 90 million annually. He has 5 landed
properties put up for rent in Lagos. I also have personal savings to
cover some of the expenses.

V.O: When did you get married? How many kids?

Me: 2017 and one child.

V.O: When did you know each other:

Me: 2013

V.O. Where does your wife work?

Me: She is currently working at xxxxx State as a Senior Nurse.

V.O. Why is she not following you?

Me: She currently work at xxxxxx as a Senior Nurse, however, she will
be visiting me anytime she is on leave.

V.O: Do you have family or relatives in the US

Me: Yes, I have a brother in the U.S.

V.O: What does he do?

Me: He owns an African Store in Texas, USA.

V.O. What Course did study at Undergraduate?

Me: I studied Geography at University of Ilorin, Kwara State from
2009 to 2013 and Post Graduate Diploma in Geographic Information
Science at Federal School of Surveying from 2015 to 2016.

V.O. Who are your supervisors?

Me: xxxx and xxxx are my supervisors

VO: What are those courses you’ll be taking/ Tell me about your
program/What is your study plan?
ME: Masters of Geographic Information Science is a 30 credit hour
program which i will complete in 28 Months. 20 credit core courses and
10 credit electives. I will be taking courses in Introductory GIS,
Advanced GIS Concepts, GPS field techniques, Remote Sensing,
Communications and Spatial Statistics and so on.

VO: Did You Write Any Standardized Test?
ME: No, I didn't because it isn't a requirement in the school in applied to

VO: Who is the President of Michigan Technological University?
ME: Rick Koubek

V.O: Why should I approve your visa?
ME: Having this Visa will enable me to study in the U.S and have the
opportunity to learn more practical and advanced approach in solving
spatial related problems and executing GIS projects.

Hi Olu1991,

The average time for a US-Visa Interview is 2 minutes. Now, tell me, what time do you have to deliver what you have here? VOs are psychologically efficient professionals. They do not need a blink to identify a well-rehearsed script. Yes, a script! "Why are you going to the US?" A simple question that could be answered in 10 seconds: “I am going to the US to pursue a Master’s Degree in Geographic Information Science at Michigan Technological University (where I will be taking courses like Advanced GIS concepts and GPS field techniques).” But, you ended up declaring your whole course catalog.

Now, here is what you will do to help yourself out, Olu. Shorten this script by answering the questions above your responses. Reply without digressing. And, ensure you do not rehearse a script that you cannot deliver in 3.5 minutes. I hope you understood me?

Quote me when you have your Visa because it shall come to pass.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Gigdraft: 7:05pm On Jul 30, 2022
Modified
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Agbeni33: 9:25pm On Jul 30, 2022
Thank you for your response

CreativeWeb:

So is your experiences around education in economics?

I think you can switch based on your future plan for yourself. So, you can always tell VO your future plan and while this switch in Masters is necessary to match with what you want to do when you are done with your Masters.

Think of why you want to switch. Think of the career you want to go into. Then, use it to convince the VO.

Also, a pressing need or persistent problem around you may inspire your passion and push you to change career.

For instance, if you did biology education and you are teaching biology in a school in your community, but there's no health centre in your community or the one there is not functioning or they usually lack steady availability of health professionals. This can move you to switch to accelerated nursing program in US or Masters in Public Health or Masters in Nutrition or Masters in Environmental Biology so that you come back and proffer solutions to the health challenges in your community.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by HadassahBint(f): 10:54pm On Jul 30, 2022
Good evening Admin, please can I be added to the Lagos dates Whatsapp group on this number 08098633173
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by elhadji19: 12:41am On Jul 31, 2022
Chocychoco:
Good morning guys I am currently in UK and I will like to inquire how to apply for master in the US and the process to do that

It is very simple. Go to google and search the school you want based on your course of study. Check the school and see the one that fit you met in terms of the requirements. Apply to the school by paying application fees and wait for their decision
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Wendyy15: 6:26am On Jul 31, 2022
Hi guys, I have two questions, I'll appreciate a response
1. I paid my visa application fee via the GT world app and this receipt was generated. I am trying to schedule an appointment and was asked to include MRV receipt number. I am not sure if that can be found on my receipt or do I need to wait for another receipt to be sent to me confirming my MRV number?
2. The second question is about the passport photo we are supposed to upload to the DS-160 application. Is there a way to submit the application without uploading the photo?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by taiwogabriel: 3:51pm On Jul 31, 2022
Question 1: Go to your online banking account. That is bank.gtbank.com/ibank3/Alert.aspx

Proceed to Internet Banking. Then under list of services (My Account, Account Transfers, eNaira Transfer, Cards, Airtime & Bundle etc), find and click Airlines & Travels, then under the dropdown, click US VISA, you will see your transaction history. Then print your receipt where you see print receipt.

Question 2: How is it possible that you will not upload passport? It's a requirement for submission. Please upload your passport.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by TIGER1001: 4:32pm On Jul 31, 2022
Can one present domicilliary statement of account during interview?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Gigdraft: 4:56pm On Jul 31, 2022
TIGER1001:
Can one present domicilliary statement of account during interview?

Hi TIGER1001,

Absolutely, you can! As a matter of fact, that would save the VO the stress of currency conversion.

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by MzWendy: 5:55pm On Jul 31, 2022
Hi guys. I requested for an emergency appointment which was done 35 days to resumption but was denied. Please what is the next step? Meanwhile, I’m to resume 16th August but the date I currently have is in May, 2023.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Gigdraft: 6:12pm On Jul 31, 2022
MzWendy:
Hi guys. I requested for an emergency appointment which was done 35 days to resumption but was denied. Please what is the next step? Meanwhile, I’m to resume 16th August but the date I currently have is in May, 2023.
Hi MzWendy,

Unfortunately, you do not qualify for an additional expedited appointment at this time. Hence, I would advise you to defer your admission. Don't worry, the appointment portal will be updated later on. Therefore, you won't have to wait till May, 2023. Just keep checking the portal.

Modified: I initially thought your visa was denied. Please go ahead and book another EA.

I can't wait to celebrate with you.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by MzWendy: 6:41pm On Jul 31, 2022
Gigdraft:

Hi MzWendy,

Unfortunately, you do not qualify for an additional expedited appointment at this time. Hence, I would advise you to defer your admission. Don't worry, the appointment portal will be updated later on. Therefore, you won't have to wait till May, 2023. Just keep checking the portal.

Alright. Thank you very much.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Temitope261(f): 7:13pm On Jul 31, 2022
Hi guys
Can please add me to Lagos and Abuja date update
Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Badguy001(m): 8:47pm On Jul 31, 2022
Gigdraft:

Hi MzWendy,

Sorry, how does she not qualify for an additional emergency request? I believe everyone has the option of two emergency requests on one MRV.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by MzWendy: 8:52pm On Jul 31, 2022
Badguy001:

Sorry, how does she not qualify for an additional emergency request? I believe everyone has the option of two emergency requests on one MRV.
Oh really! Please how soon can I apply again?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Badguy001(m): 8:58pm On Jul 31, 2022
MzWendy:

Oh really! Please how soon can I apply again?

What was your initial emergency request location? Whatever the case, you may re-apply immediately whether you are switching location or sticking to the same location. I believe once you log on to CGI, you should still see an emergency request option.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by MzWendy: 9:38pm On Jul 31, 2022
Badguy001:

What was your initial emergency request location? Whatever the case, you may re-apply immediately whether you are switching location or sticking to the same location. I believe once you log on to CGI, you should still see an emergency request option.

Location - Lagos.
Thanks a lot.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by TIGER1001: 9:39pm On Jul 31, 2022
Thanks sir
Gigdraft:

Hi TIGER1001,

Absolutely, you can! As a matter of fact, that would save the VO the stress of currency conversion.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Badguy001(m): 9:43pm On Jul 31, 2022
MzWendy:

Location - Lagos.
Thanks a lot.

OK. Switch to Abuja then on the CGI. Effect location change on your DS 160 to Abuja as well. Abuja seems to be fast with their emergency request decisions sha. Best of luck!

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Kevsmart88(m): 9:51pm On Jul 31, 2022
Moshkom:
Quick One Guys,

For the approved ones, don’t forget to check your school’s requirements for your resumption. Most schools ‘told’ you then that you are required to submit your official transcripts upon arrival etc. Don’t forget to ‘order’ that from your undergraduate school before you leave, don’t get there and be stranded, thinking “dem don forget”; “e no mean”. “ dem no go ask” Lol e go shock you.

For the ones searching for dates, keep keeping on; you’re not alone. It’s always like that and would always be like this.

The ones with date, preparation is key. Join and do mocks to get your wordings well, so that you can CONVINCE the VO on why you need the White paper.

For the prospective applicants, start and spread your applications now to meet priority deadlines. Spring 2023 and Fall 2023 are upon you already, e no far again oh.

GOD NO GO SHAME US ��

- Moshkom
Hello bro.pls I have just gotten an emergency date approved for September and I just deferred my admission.
I would appreciate if you can share me tips on how to prepare properly .
Thanks in anticipation
Help add to the group pls 07084956093
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Gigdraft: 10:23pm On Jul 31, 2022
Badguy001:

@MzWendy and @Badguy001, Please inform me when you eventually secure a second expedited appointment with a single MRV receipt, even when the first interview wasn’t successful.

I sincerely hope I am wrong because that would really help you, @MzWendy, meet your enrollment deadline.

I can’t wait to celebrate with you!

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Badguy001(m): 10:43pm On Jul 31, 2022
Gigdraft:

@MzWendy and @Badguy001, Please inform me when you eventually secure a second expedited appointment with a single MRV receipt, even when the first interview wasn’t successful.

I sincerely hope I am wrong because that would really help you, @MzWendy, meet your enrollment deadline.

I can’t wait to celebrate with you!

The point here is that she is yet to interview. Her emergency request was denied not a visa denial. You are entitled to two EA requests on one MRV so long you have not interviewed.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Gigdraft: 11:03pm On Jul 31, 2022
Badguy001:

The point here is that she is yet to interview. Her emergency request was denied not a visa denial. You are entitled to two EA requests on one MRV so long you have not interviewed.
Oh, I see, I just read her post again. I thought she was interviewed and denied. @MzWendy, Badguy001 is right. You can still request for another expedited appointment.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Kevsmart88(m): 11:10pm On Jul 31, 2022
Gigdraft:

Hi Olu1991,

The average time for a US-Visa Interview is 2 minutes. Now, tell me, what time do you have to deliver what you have here? VOs are psychologically efficient professionals. They do not need a blink to identify a well-rehearsed script. Yes, a script! "Why are you going to the US?" A simple question that could be answered in 10 seconds: “I am going to the US to pursue a Master’s Degree in Geographic Information Science at Michigan Technological University (where I will be taking courses like Advanced GIS concepts and GPS field techniques).” But, you ended up declaring your whole course catalog.

Now, here is what you will do to help yourself out, Olu. Shorten this script by answering the questions above your responses. Reply without digressing. And, ensure you do not rehearse a script that you cannot deliver in 3.5 minutes. I hope you understood me?

Quote me when you have your Visa because it shall come to pass.
Helo bro.
Pls help add to Abuja preparation group.
Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Raymars: 11:45pm On Jul 31, 2022
C (A + B)
adanrizoe@gmail.com
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Moshkom(m): 12:02am On Aug 01, 2022
DISCLAIMER of trying to sound like a motivational speaker or your Fav person.
Lol

Some Quickies:

It’s NOT cheap, it’s just less expensive than UK and Canada path. So, don’t have the mindset of “Dem say to enter Yankee no hard, na just to get admission”
Lmao.

It’s NOT advisable to go for Undergraduate study if you’re more than 23; have finished your high school more than 5yrs ago, or you already have a degree (HND or Bsc).
Yeah, your Fav agent or person would tell you “I don see person wey get am at 32 before, all na Grace”
Lol

The F1 path, is a test of the most Package. You will have to PACKAGE yourself from the APPLICATION stage to the VISA APPROVAL stage. Only few people have the 10/10 profile, others “na packaging we dey chop”, so join ‘us’.
Haha

About selecting the embassy location, It’s ALWAYS ADVISABLE to pick the embassy that you think would aid your visa approval, base on your I20 profile, NOT the one that have possible available interview date to pick.
“Last Last e go cast” in Burna Boy’s voice.
Lol

If the available date you’ve for Fall isn’t favorable, you can easily defer to spring and go for spring interview with the date you have, just make sure you’ve a spring i20. Yes, you must not go for Fall session. Lol.
Yeah, I know you don’t want to hear that. But, lol.

You don’t keep trying an error on this Path, In the name of “I no go give up” or “I don see person wey get am before with this and that” or “Na who give up F**k up”.
Do the right thing, repackage and reFire or you go just dey collect “woto woto”.

Random Facts:
- I don’t know who you are, but USA Visa Interview Date search would humble you and yours. Not funny but funny. Lol

- This path is like a ‘cheat code path’, for guys in the Chemistry field. God when!

- Before Grace would work for you on this Path, your profile would do that or have done that. So, DO THE RIGTH THING(s), no be everything be Grace.

“TILL WE ALL POSSIBLY WIN”

⁃ MOSHKOM (August, 2022)

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by NigPatriot(m): 12:24am On Aug 01, 2022
I am
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Cyingfreeman: 1:21am On Aug 01, 2022
Moshkom:
Lol

Some Quickies:

It’s NOT cheap, it’s just less expensive than UK and Canada path. So, don’t have the mindset of “Dem say to enter Yankee no hard, na just to get admission”
Lmao.

It’s NOT advisable to go for Undergraduate study if you’re more than 23; have finished your high school more than 5yrs ago, or you already have a degree (HND or Bsc).
Yeah, your Fav agent or person would tell you “I don see person wey get am at 32 before, all na Grace”
Lol

The F1 path, is a test of the most Package. You will have to PACKAGE yourself from the APPLICATION stage to the VISA APPROVAL stage. Only few people have the 10/10 profile, others “na packaging we dey chop”, so join ‘us’.
Haha

About selecting the embassy location, It’s ALWAYS ADVISABLE to pick the embassy that you think would aid your visa approval, base on your I20 profile, NOT the one that have possible available interview date to pick.
Lol

If the available date you’ve for Fall isn’t favorable, you can easily defer to spring and go for spring interview with the date you have, just make sure you’ve a spring i20. Yes, you must not go for Fall session. Lol.

You don’t keep trying an error on this Path, In the name of “I no go give up” or “I don see person wey get am before with this and that” or “Na who give up F**k up”.
Do the right thing, repackage and reFire or you go just dey collect “woto woto”.

Random Facts:
- I don’t know who you are, but USA Visa Interview Date search would humble you and yours. Not funny but funny. Lol

- This path is like a ‘cheat code path’, for guys in the Chemistry field. God when!

- Before Grace would work for you on this Path, your profile would do that or have done that. So, DO THE RIGTH THING(s), no be everything be Grace.

⁃ MOSHKOM (August, 2022)

Nice write up sir.

Considering the bolded, what if ones school doesn't accept deferral of admission and you must resume on a certain date or risk losing the admission and possible assitantship. What do you really advise?

Thank you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Lovethchisom(f): 3:49am On Aug 01, 2022
Moshkom:
Lol

Some Quickies:

Lmao.

Lol

Haha

Lol

Random Facts:

- This path is like a ‘cheat code path’, for guys in the Chem[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]istry field. God when!

⁃ MOSHKOM (August, 2022)

Good morning
Please what about the guys in chemistry field. Does going for msc chemistry affects getting visa
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by FineDragon(m): 6:17am On Aug 01, 2022
Well there are some true words here and irrespective of being 24 and going for an undergraduate study, you actually don't need to lose hope because you can definitely use this incessant strike to your advantage, and be sharp with words. And no give yourself heart attack, defer applications to spring and jejely look for dates because portal go update and you will get what you want surely.
Moshkom:
Lol

Some Quickies:

Lmao.

Lol

Haha

Lol

Random Facts:

⁃ MOSHKOM (August, 2022)
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Stevenssen(m): 6:25am On Aug 01, 2022
Lovethchisom:

Good morning
Please what about the guys in chemistry field. Does going for msc chemistry affects getting visa
chemistry is one of the easiest fields to get funding in.
And funding increases approval chances

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) ... (527) (Reply)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy.

Viewing this topic: ARISTOCRATDAMMY1(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.