Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,119 members, 7,811,143 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:41 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 - Travel (65) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 (674331 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) ... (527) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Paschalele: 7:25pm On Aug 02, 2022
Please I need little assistance.... I got admitted in university of south Florida Tampa, my visa is out but my major challenge is accommodation...who can assist me with accommodation as I don't know anyone there Please
chibertha:
In such a situation I will advise you to come in for the spring semester.
Then look for GA, TA, or RA but if you don't get it at that time "no fear", give the school part payment and start lectures
Then carry "ear and eyes put for ground",
it is said that " if you listen very well you will hear the foots steps of an ant".

Look for other jobs on campus such as dining, restaurants, pharmacies, etc.

The pay is usually the minimum wage in your locality, use it to give the school as much as you can and pay for your other living expenses.
Look for sheared accommodation some go for as low as $380 including utilities and furnished.

Back to why I said come in spring, remember summer semester is not compulsory so you have 16 weeks to[b]" enter road" [/b]and also apply for GA, TA, or RA for fall this time you have higher chances of being hired because you have a GPA and you know people.

In this business networking is the key.

Na the parole be that.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Joezinho: 7:47pm On Aug 02, 2022
chibertha:

Good evening Chibertha, I had my second dose of vaccine today. Is it true that one won't be allowed into the US without your proof of FULL vaccination 2 WEEKS PRIOR?

My flight to the US is slated for next week..
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Lasisieniola77(m): 7:51pm On Aug 02, 2022
Good evening, everyone. Thank you for all you do on this page, please i would like to ask can someone get funding without doing GRE and also i checked for masters in education, most of the schools i got are online based masters in education.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Ninnie35: 7:54pm On Aug 02, 2022
My siblings are currently in the US on an F1 visa. I also got an admission to the same school. Do you think it will hurt my chances during my visa interview?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Lhmlwalexy: 8:45pm On Aug 02, 2022
Hi Guys, i got my expedited appointment approved (3 days ago), but the dates are still showing 2023.

What do you advise please, thank you

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Lhmlwalexy: 8:53pm On Aug 02, 2022
I got my expedited appointment approved and it's still showing 2023 dates when I tried to reschedule. What do you advise?
buccy:

Generally, when granted EA, you will be able to access date portals with closer dates. So, for instance, if you log in now, you will see 2023 dates, with an EA, you will see 2022 dates and if you are lucky, actually get an interview date before your resumption.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Doubuzofficial: 9:21pm On Aug 02, 2022
beejhay69:

1. You only need the vaccination. Booster can be taken in the US.

2. Any amount.

Thanks baba
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Systrom(m): 9:37pm On Aug 02, 2022
Ninnie35:
My siblings are currently in the US on an F1 visa. I also got an admission to the same school. Do you think it will hurt my chances during my visa interview?
Red flag !

It would most definitely hurt your chances
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by RaniOpe: 9:37pm On Aug 02, 2022
Paschalele:
Please I need little assistance.... I got admitted in university of south Florida Tampa, my visa is out but my major challenge is accommodation...who can assist me with accommodation as I don't know anyone there Please

Did you try off campus housing? The Ivy, The Social, Jefferson Commons, College town etc?
The least amount for those apartments close to Tampa is $550. But fall semester starts soon, all the affordable apartments are filled.
The ones available now is $1000+

Go on Facebook
USF Tampa off campus housing. It's a group page.
Some people are still subleasing their apartment. You might just need to pay $200 extra charges. Be vigilant sha, before you fall prey to a scammer.
Others already have an apartment and are looking for roommates to split the bill with.

You can also try looking for accommodation around the St Petersburg or Sarasota Manatee campuses. Then take a bus to Tampa for classes.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by ElizabethBukola: 10:19pm On Aug 02, 2022
Nozino:

Hello, I saw your email. You can use HND for admission to both master’s and PhD programs. Some universities will admit you without credential evaluation. Some will ask for Wes eg Florida state university, Cal state LA, FAMU, UCF, Uni of southern Maine, uni of Huston Victoria etc . In fact, very few universities won’t accept you. Ivy League Universities like Cornell, Columbia and Harvard accept HND after Wes evaluation.

How can I dm you..
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by VictorUSA(m): 10:48pm On Aug 02, 2022
Systrom:
Red flag !

How can that hurt his/her chances? Had it being that the said sibling is a citizen and this applicant was going to thesame location it would definitely hurt her chances.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Ninnie35: 10:53pm On Aug 02, 2022
Systrom:
Red flag !

How do I go about it then
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Gigdraft: 11:00pm On Aug 02, 2022
kponkedenge:
Quick question for those doing Masters in the US:

For those that don't have sponsors.... How do you raise funds over there to pay your fees?

Does all F1 visas carry a work permit? If yes, is the pay enough to cover your tuition and other expenses?

Kindly reply.

Hello Kponkedenge,

In addition to @Creativeweb's point. I addressed a similar concern on the Canadian Student Visa Thread some minutes ago.

I hope this further answers your questions.

Gigdraft:

No, it is not too early to start. You mentioned that you do not have much financially, and that is the more reason you need to begin mapping out your way now. Moreover, don’t even let finance stop you. People who are in the worst financial situation are in Canada presently, hoping a young man such as you won’t give up.

Let me share an experience with you, My Friend. About 7 years ago, I met a young man on this great forum. He just finished serving after attaining a first-class degree from ABU. This guy did not even have the money for an International Passport. I was moved to assist him with the International Passport fee when I found out he is an orphan. When he got the passport, it was dawn on me that it would be useless if he does not write GRE to apply for scholarships. He was a bright man and passionate at that. Come to think of it, I was sure he would pass the test. Thus, I eventually supported him with the GRE fee. I could recall vividly, it was Walspring that did that registration (Walspring was famous in the Travel Section 7 years ago – can’t tell if he is still on Niaraland).

To cut the long story short, this young graduate passed the GRE, got a scholarship, and today, he is in the US. He did not have money for a traveling agent. He did everything himself as I would advise you to do the same. A man with no money for a passport found himself in the United States of America! How ironic?

Now, My Friend, first complete your Bachelor’s degree and try to build your CGPA to first class. Then, apply to schools for admission. Once that phase is concluded, you will find your way.

Have the most beautiful night, My Friend.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Nobody: 12:51am On Aug 03, 2022
Good morning wonderful people on this thread. I am in a dilemma as I type this now.
First my Dad is a USA citizen,but he's been in Nigeria for a couple of years now. Now I have plans of traveling abroad to further my studies but here is what bothers me most.
With my Dad being an American citizen,what are my chances I'd get a Visa by the time I go for an interview at the final stage, what type of Visa can I apply for?
One more thing is how easy is it to bring one's wife to USA? The reason for asking is because I plan on getting married soon and I would want my wife to join me instantly after marriage.
But here's what broke the camel's back.
My Dad has four children already in the USA and they were born there while I am the only child of my mother. I just want to use the influence of him being a citizen for my own advantage.
I hope this wouldn't affect anyway!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by EarlMembo7(m): 2:11am On Aug 03, 2022
Hello everyone, I’m about to start my whole process, can I meet up before January 2023 resumption date, please I need urgent replies….thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Starangel123: 4:23am On Aug 03, 2022
Congratulations on your visa. Please I need some tips as I have an interview this month. I was previously denied in Feb, 2022.

Gigdraft:
Hi Whitewizardry,

Your testimony is so exhilarating. I am indeed happy to read about your paid-off persistency. Congratulations!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Starangel123: 4:40am On Aug 03, 2022
@nigpatriot
Please can I send you an email?

Peroo4040:

Lol… I laff in Spanish! Do not mislead people… let them follow the process!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Jojoarmani101: 6:55am On Aug 03, 2022
Hello everyone please is it possible to switch from Lagos to Abuja with the interview location already reading Lagos on the visa search portal? Note a date hasn't been chosen yet.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by EmyPapis(m): 11:37am On Aug 03, 2022
Could you please drop link for Lagos search date
FK2022:

Hi,
Searching for date can be frustrating and from my experience. There’s no trick to it other than patience.
I’d advise you join group chats and pick an odd hour to check.
What I use to do was to keep record of everytime a date is released and make sure that i’m alert at those times in subsequent days hoping that the person updating will have a standard routine. Then one day I got lucky.
Also never let your daily login slot run out. Always save 1 for contingencies.
You’ll get lucky soon.
If you are yet to use your emergency request, you can also do that once it’s 2weeks to resumption. I say 2 weeks because I see a lot of 1 month refusal.
Wish you all the best.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by EmyPapis(m): 11:39am On Aug 03, 2022
Hello.
About the daily limit, please what's the total number, I was told that am approaching my maximum limit the last time I checked.
FK2022:

Hi,
Searching for date can be frustrating and from my experience. There’s no trick to it other than patience.
I’d advise you join group chats and pick an odd hour to check.
What I use to do was to keep record of everytime a date is released and make sure that i’m alert at those times in subsequent days hoping that the person updating will have a standard routine. Then one day I got lucky.
Also never let your daily login slot run out. Always save 1 for contingencies.
You’ll get lucky soon.
If you are yet to use your emergency request, you can also do that once it’s 2weeks to resumption. I say 2 weeks because I see a lot of 1 month refusal.
Wish you all the best.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Olu1991: 11:54am On Aug 03, 2022
Thank you for this. I appreciate.

Gigdraft:

Hi Olu1991,

The average time for a US-Visa Interview is 2 minutes. Now, tell me, what time do you have to deliver what you have here? VOs are psychologically efficient professionals. They do not need a blink to identify a well-rehearsed script. Yes, a script! "Why are you going to the US?" A simple question that could be answered in 10 seconds: “I am going to the US to pursue a Master’s Degree in Geographic Information Science at Michigan Technological University (where I will be taking courses like Advanced GIS concepts and GPS field techniques).” But, you ended up declaring your whole course catalog.

Now, here is what you will do to help yourself out, Olu. Shorten this script by answering the questions above your responses. Reply without digressing. And, ensure you do not rehearse a script that you cannot deliver in 3.5 minutes. I hope you understood me?

Quote me when you have your Visa because it shall come to pass.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Gigdraft: 12:22pm On Aug 03, 2022
Starangel123:
Congratulations on your visa. Please I need some tips as I have an interview this month. I was previously denied in Feb, 2022.

Hello Starangel123,

The testimony is for @Whitewizardry. Nevertheless, could you please share your transcript? Let's see if we can figure out your mistake together.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by jOSHBOYY(m): 12:40pm On Aug 03, 2022
Please add me to the WhatsApp group for Lagos and Abuja date search: +79030395779
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Golded123: 1:22pm On Aug 03, 2022
Please someone should help me review this. I will be having my appointment in Lagos on 19 of the month. Actually I have been to abuja embassy in may this year and I was denied due to no close ties and the VO believes I have to reason to return to home country after my program ( was given a blue letter)but was to to reapply . Please any suggestions and advice would really be appreciated.

Q. WHY ARE YOU HEADING TO THE USA?
ANSWER: I’m going to Texas Tech University for my masters’ programme in interdisciplinary studies; I will major in biological and physical sciences.

Q. TELL ME ABOUT YOUR SCHOOL
ANSWER: Texas Tech University was founded in 1923 and located in a very beautiful county called Lubbock, it been classified by the Carnegie foundation as a tier-1 research institution in the us and it’s highly respected for it advanced educational system.

Q. WHICH ORDER SCHOOL DID YOU APPLIED TO?
ANSWER: Michigan Tech University and Arkansas state university

Q. HOW MANY ADMITS?
ANSWER: 2 , Texas tech university and Arkansas state university

Q. WHY DID YOU CHOOSE TTU?
ANSWER: I carried out extensive research using US news and several graduate research sites and Texas Tech University was one of the schools that highly interests me. The school offered me a scholarship of $8528 and also has the exact curriculum that matches my profile.

Q. WHY BIOLOGICAL AND PHYSICAL SCIENCES
ANSWER: I picked up an interest in biological and physical sciences as my masters degree due to its flexibility . And also it will equip me with a wide professional knowledge in medical technology, the ecosystem and environmental sciences at large

Q. WHATS YOUR RESEARCH TOPIC?
ANSWER: Importance of climate change legislation and its impact on food security and sustainability in Nigeria.

Q. WHAT YOUR STUDY PLAN?
ANSWER: Going to ttu to pursue a degree in biological and physical sciences is a 30 credit hour course, 6 credit hour research, 240 credit hour of internship and 15 hours of interdisciplinary electives and it’s duration is 24 month

Q. TELL ME WHAT COURSE YOU WILL BE TAKING?
ANSWER: 1) levelling advanced ecology
2) Environmental sustainability
3) Natural resources bio politics
4) Ecology for renewable natural resources etc

Q. WHAT WILL THIS DEGREE DO FOR YOU?
ANSWER: Upon completion of my masters’ degree, the combination of knowledge in both biological and physical sciences will equip me with knowledge needed to qualify for the offer of joining my current organization as a well rounded professional after my program. And it will also equip me with knowledge needed for my career growth.

Q. WHY WERE YOU OFFER SCHOLARSHIP?
ANSWER: because of my undergraduate result and work experience.

Q. WHERE WILL YOU BE STAYING
ANSWER. I will be staying on campus. Actually, I’ve spoken to the international student coordinator (Kathryn Hill) and she made it known to me that there will be provision for pickup and accommodation will be given to students after the orientation.

Q. WHEN DID YOU FINISH HIGH SCHOOL?
ANSWER: 2013/2014

Q.WHEN DID YOU FINISH FIRST DEGREE?
ANSWER: I finished OCT, 2018.

Q. WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING SINCE THEN
ANSWER: After I finished my national service in 2019, I was employ at NATIONWIDE GLOBAL VENTURES LIMITED as ENVIRONMENTAL OFFICER TILL date.

Q. WHAT DO YOU DO AT WORK?
ANSWER: I ensure proper documentation of data for projecting sustainable food production and I write to report all environmental metrics making sure my organization is in compliance with all environmental regulation and standards related to pollution and waste management.

Q. WHO IS SPONSORING YOU?
ANSWER: MY MOTHER

Q. WHAT DOES SHE DO?
ANSWER: SHE IS A SUCCESSFUL BUSINESSWOMAN AND THE OWNER OF FOLUKS INVESTMENT LTD , SHE IS A MAJOR DISTRIBUTOR OF BUA CEMENT, DEVOL KINGS OIL AND MAMA GOLD FLOUR ACROSS SOUTHWEST NIGERIA AND ALSO SHE IS INCHARGE OF All REAL ESTATE AND INVESTMENT LEFT BEHIND BY MY LATE FATHER.

Q. HOW MANY SIBLINGS DO YOU HAVE
ANSWER: 1

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by chibertha(f): 1:32pm On Aug 03, 2022
no idea please
Joezinho:

Good evening Chibertha, I had my second dose of vaccine today. Is it true that one won't be allowed into the US without your proof of FULL vaccination 2 WEEKS PRIOR?

My flight to the US is slated for next week..

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by jacobyb216: 1:46pm On Aug 03, 2022
jacobyb216:

Someone please help on this ���

pleaseeee someone
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by jacobyb216: 1:47pm On Aug 03, 2022
l
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by NigPatriot(m): 1:58pm On Aug 03, 2022
Haha, I am glad to have played a role in assisting you. But you deserve the accolade. Your tenacity paid off. Welcome to America, I am certain you will excel in this land! Catch you up sometime hopefully!

whitewizardry:
I am currently in the US, and i realized i haven't shared my transcript. Find below, it would inspire someone to not give up!

Visa approved

4th Attempt (2F1s, 1B1/B2)
Abuja
July 2022.
PhD Construction engineering
Fully funded
COA: 25,000 dollars
Funding: 30,000 dollars.

Fringe VO dark hair

**I dressed very casual, 4th attempt isn't your mate na, �. I just needed a miracle.

VO: good morning pass me your documents.
VO: have you travelled to the US before?
Me: No ma I haven't. (My legs started shaking because she had denied like 4 people before me)

VO: where do you work?
Me: I currently work as a research assistant at my alma mater where I graduated as the best in my department, and my CGPA is one that hasn't been attained in the department in the past 5 years. My roles include; statistical data analysis in the field of construction engineering, conducting qualitative and quantitative analysis of data using SPSS, python, and R programming language. I also assist undergraduate students with their research papers and assignments, I attend conferences and produce technical reports from these events. I also assist undergraduate students with laboratory work and testing such as slump tests, Nondestructive tests, and abrasion testing. I help to source for data for proposed publications, I also assist in reviewing literature of proposed publications. (I said all of these word-for-word, while staring her in her eyes. While saying all of these, she was looking at what I filled in on my Ds160 - the work description, to see if it actually rhymes).

She started typing for like forever.
Then she asks;
VO: what will you do when you return back:
Me: I will be returning to my alma mater where I currently work as a RA to take on the role of a senior lecturer - I had an incredible CGPA and the faculty members are really certain that I will be an asset to the department when I return back. On the long run I will be starting up a first of it's kind consultancy firm that will focus on safety in construction. Currently, from my master's thesis, I analyzed that in Nigeria about 900 construction workers die as a result of poor safety measures. I would be...(she was nodding - seemed impressed at this point, then she cuts)

VO: would you be taking a study leave?

Me: yes, I would be.

VO: is it paid or unpaid?
Me: it's paid but I would be only paid about 50% throughout my 5 years.

VO: I see that All your family are in the US? (Omo my mind was like �). - (at this point she looked straight into my eyes, if not that I was prepared, I would probably have stammered or just gotten lost)
Me: I said No I have a lot of my family members here in Nigeria inclusive of my dad, brothers and sisters, although my mum is a Legal Permanent Resident (LPR), while my other siblings are on OPT, who will be returning to Nigeria soon. As for me, my sole intent for travelling is to go for study, after which I would return to Nigeria, because Nigeria needs me more than the US, and this skill I would be getting from this PhD is very vital. I have a strong ambition to become a full-time professor before the age of 40, and to publish high quality research content that will improve the current state of things in the construction industry here in Nigeria. (She smiled, and typed back into her system)

VO: have you been to any other country outside Nigeria?

Me: No.

VO: Are you married?
Me: No.

VO: Any Kids
Me: Not anytime soon, I am really focused on my career in academia (she laughs).

Then she touched the blue papers (my mind almost cut, but I was ready for any outcome, as I felt I had been astute and sincere enough) then she moved the blue papers to the other side and reached out for the sought-after white paper and said the golden words congratulations. I just fell down on the ground, everyone was laughing like who's this village boy ��.

Vo put her hand on her chin and was just shaking her head while smiling. I picked up my white paper was almost in tears while giving God praises. - people must have been so shocked to see my reactions. But i couldn't hold my emotions;

This is my 4th attempt, and I had the odds against me, because I have been denied severally even without the VO checking my i20. Once they see that I have my family members in the US they already assume that I have immigrant intent and instantly deny me.

One thing I'll advise people, is to be truthful with their DS160 (especially what you filled on your first DS160, please be consistent with it), I declared the family members I had in the US. In all the DS160 i filled. (Even when people kept telling me, to lie about that - the chances they have the information about them in their system is high), so just come out plain and truthful. And defend yourself as to why your intent is genuine.

Let your story make sense. VOs are human, especially when you have a VO who's ready to listen to you. Please don't give one-word replies. That's too dangerous.

Maintain eye contact with the VO, and watch the body language of the VO.

While you're waiting for your interview, please listen to the questions the VO is asking other people - there is a high chance it's the same questions you'll be asked.

Speak boldly, don't be shy about whether anyone is watching you or not, your purpose there is the white paper so please stay focused - and shout if you can. Confidence is an underrated skill in this journey.

If you can get funding, please do. Funding plus adequate preparation works magic. (Less questions, you'll be more confident). Most of the people they approved today had at least some level of funding ( even if it was 20%)
Write standardized tests and cold email professors. The chance of being denied when you have full funding is very slim because VOs know you have a low tendency to abscond when you get to the US.

Lastly, delay is not denial, I knew that I really needed to study in the US, so I made up my mind that it had to be the USA or nothing - call it desperation, but I call it ambition.

Appreciation to all the several groups (mocks, prayer groups, date groups) I was in - we shall all win. Although, i was scared to do mocks because I knew my story didn't resonate with that of others. So, I just listened, and asked questions from people who had experience in this Visa Journey.

Thanks to @Geraldine from Active Participant group she's amongst the reasons I got a date in July ��. She kept re-adding me to the date group even the admin kept removing me �. That admin guy, if i catch him ehn grin.

Also, Major thanks and gratitude to @NigPatriot on nairaland, i believe he is a cheat code in this visa thing grin. That guy should be a visa officer. He's too damn smart. I reached out to him and he helped me for free without charging a dime; in answering questions which were troubling me with regards my visa application and also provided clarity for me in this application process. I wish every applicant success in their upcoming interviews.

7 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Starangel123: 2:53pm On Aug 03, 2022
@NigPatriot

Good afternoon boss! Please I would need your help, how can I reach you sir?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by jOSHBOYY(m): 3:04pm On Aug 03, 2022
@Geraldine Could you add me to the group for date search? +79030395779
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Easydgre8: 3:07pm On Aug 03, 2022
VictorUSA:
How can that hurt his/her chances? Had it being that the said sibling is a citizen and this applicant was going to thesame location it would definitely hurt her chances.
Even if siblings are citizens, there's a chance of getting your visa. Three of my brothers are in the US, two graduated from the school I applied for, two of them are citizens one a PR. I still got my visa anyway mentioning everything in my ds160 and explaining to the VO. It's grace, that's all I can say

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) ... (527) (Reply)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy.

Viewing this topic: Allocsoluwatosi(m), olajide2428(m), fearlessfang and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.