Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,008 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:42 AM

South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian (7370 Views)

BBNaija: Erica's Igbo Cultural Presentation Impresses South Africans / 20 Common Comments & Phrases Used In Nigerian Movies / Dstv Responds To A Customer Asking Why The Increase In Tariffs. (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by Armaggedon: 8:17am On Jun 25, 2022
ArewaNorth:

But Kannywood is the first film industry in Nigeria. Movies were first shot in Northern Nigeria before the creation of Nollywood or any Southern film industry.
That isn't kannywood.
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by Chuksaluta(m): 8:26am On Jun 25, 2022
leksite120:
Nollywood is not Igbo. Let me tell you a bitter truth. A standard movie produced in Yoruba would earn more audience than another standard one produced in Igbo. Yoruba owns Nollywood, Yoruba makes it fruitful , we make it 'tussh' and honourable and we have the audience to make any movie sells faster, so we own Nollywood

You people have come again. In the 90s and early 2000s you guys mocked the igbo dominated nollywood for putting out substandard movies, but guess what? Those same movies were celebrated across Africa. We had stars from all tribes like Omotola, Ini edo, Jim iyke, Desmond Eliot etc.
Today the yorubas have invested more on cinematography which is good but trying to mock the Asaba industry that gave us a niche is what I don't agree. How many of this good quality movies make wave in Africa?
The only mistake I think the Asaba/Enugu film makers made was calling themselves Nollywood. A Sallywood or so would have give authenticity to them. Now after all the labour you guys benefiting from their foundation now mock them openly.
That's how you guys mocked Genevieve on her first nigerian movie on netflix, but today every Tom, dick and Harry have theirs.
The problem with us Nigerians is that we don't honour the labour of our heroes past.
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by Armaggedon: 8:30am On Jun 25, 2022
theTranscriber:
I repeat

Only old asabawood propagate Igwe stuff

New movies don't do such
Even though people like me are annoyed by their obsession with the Igweship stuff, your claim is pure fact denial. Asaba is a new location for movies campared to Enugu and Lagos, there is nothing old in that vibrant nollywood hub, yet they produce epic daily and other movies as well. Visit youtube and type latest nollywood movie and you'll be shocked.
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by AutoC: 8:33am On Jun 25, 2022
AlexBells:

Okay I don hear, cause I have no such strength to engage you, maybe I wait till I see a Nollywood movie talking about Oba or Alafin, who is even talking about who dominates, I'm asking whose culture is Nollywood portraying if not Igbo culture and life in Nigerian city, even Funke Akindele's Jennifer's dairy was it not a regular city trend, which nollywood movie promote yoruba culture lol,

Actually, they are alot..they just speak yoruba n end up not leaving southwest
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by Armaggedon: 8:39am On Jun 25, 2022
Chuksaluta:

You people have come again. In the 90s and early 2000s you guys mocked the igbo dominated nollywood for putting out substandard movies, but guess what? Those same movies were celebrated across Africa. We had stars from all tribes like Omotola, Ini edo, Jim iyke, Desmond Eliot etc.
Today the yorubas have invested more on cinematography which is good but trying to mock the Asaba industry that gave us a niche is what I don't agree. How many of this good quality movies make wave in Africa?
The only mistake I think the Asaba/Enugu film makers made was calling themselves Nollywood. A Sallywood or so would have give authenticity to them. Now after all the labour you guys benefiting from their foundation now mock them openly.
That's how you guys mocked Genevieve on her first nigerian movie on netflix, but today every Tom, dick and Harry have theirs.
The problem with us Nigerians is that we don't honour the labour of our heroes past.
Movie making is not about budget, it is about creativity. A poor storyteller has no bussiness in the movie industry. No matter how you invest, if the story is uninteresting, then the project is already a foundational disaster. This is why yorubas are investing a lot but don't excel in the inustry as they should.
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by faheem0frank: 8:42am On Jun 25, 2022
Another dumb and ignorant thread on NL.Another dumb and ignorant thread on NL....
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by Transcriber: 10:50am On Jun 25, 2022
agadez007:
I remember when they didn’t want to associate with Nollywood they said it was poorly made and instead they called themselves “Yoruba movie” and Hausa “kannywood”
Now they all want to claim Nollywood because it is getting recognition worldwide in Africa and among the black diaspora
If you probably asked the South African which Nigerian actors he knows,it would be Igbo actors like mr ibu,osofia,osita iheme,Genevieve nnaji etc
as I said
2010 Nollywood

That's not present Nollywood
All highest grossing movies in Nigeria today are Yoruba dominated

You can kill yourself

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by Transcriber: 10:51am On Jun 25, 2022
Armaggedon:
Even though people like me are annoyed by their obsession with the Igweship stuff, your claim is pure fact denial. Asaba is a new location for movies campared to Enugu and Lagos, there is nothing old in that vibrant nollywood hub, yet they produce epic daily and other movies as well. Visit youtube and type latest nollywood movie and you'll be shocked.
you call those YouTube ad ridden trash movies?

Well I dont
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by ArewaNorth: 10:56am On Jun 25, 2022
Armaggedon:
That isn't kannywood.

Transcriber:
that's a lie
The first movies in Nigeria was made in the south

Google it and stop being a typical northern illiterate

The Hausa language cinema slowly evolved from the productions of RTV Kaduna and Radio Kaduna in the 1960s. Veterans like Dalhatu Bawa and Kasimu Yero pioneered drama productions that became popular with the Northern audience.

In the 70's and 80's, Usman Baba Pategi and Mamman Ladan introduced the Hausa Comedy to the Northern audience.

1990s: Bollywood influence

The 1990s saw a dramatic change in the Hausa language cinema, eager to attract more Hausa audience who find Bollywood movies more attractive, Kannywood; a cinematic synthesis of Indian and Hausa culture evolved and became extremely popular. Turmin Danya ("The Draw"wink, 1990, is usually cited as the first commercially successful Kannywood film. It was quickly followed by others like Gimbiya Fatima In Da So Da Kauna, Munkar, Badakala and Kiyarda Da Ni. New actors like Ibrahim Mandawari and Hauwa Ali Dodo became popular and set the stage for the emergence of super-star like female actresses later on.

2000s Kannywood

By 2012, over 2000 film companies were registered with the Kano State Filmmakers Association.

A local censoring committee created by Kanywood Producers and Marketers was converted into a board and named Kano State Censorship Board in 2001 by Governor Rabiu Kwankwaso. Mr. Dahiru Beli was appointed the first Executive Secretary of the board.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hausa-language_cinema

NOLLYWOOD

On the other hand, Nollywood is a sobriquet that originally referred to the Nigerian film industry. The origin of the term dates back to the early 2000s, traced to an article in The New York Times. Due to the history of evolving meanings and contexts, there is no clear or agreed-upon definition for the term, which has made it a subject of several controversies.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nollywood
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by Oplomo: 11:18am On Jun 25, 2022
leksite120:
Honestly, you're obviously not saying the truth or u don't know what you're saying. Firstly, either it's Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa movie, they're all called Nollywood. The ones you categorized as Igbo inclined is the Igbo version of Nollywood.

Yoruba dominate Nollywood. Infact, they speak Yoruba in English Nollywood than any other language, even the Igbos in the movies try to feel among by speaking Yoruba or have you seen any Yoruba actor forcing himself to speak Igbo? Don't you know that the fact that Nollywood is centralized around Lagos boost the Yoruba chance of dominating it? Likewise the music industry and other industries too.
Standard Nollywood movies that are produced in Lagos are Yoruba inclined not the Asaba ones.

Go check Nollywood cinema movies , most of them are more Yoruba inclined filled mostly with Yoruba actors. Do you know Kunle Afolayan? He's the most successful director that directs top notch and fantastic movies that are internationally-recognized and most of those movies display Yoruba culture.

If you doubt me, go and check Netflix and do survey of all the movies there only if you'll be sincere with your outcome.

Yorubawood is struggling to dominate Nollywood and discredit the Igbos after the Igbos have built the movie industry with their money, sweat and blood over the years.
Nollywood will continue to be known by its Igbo nuances and culture.
Go to African magic epic, they are showing a nollywood movie with Igbo flavour as usual and it showing all over the world. Igbos built NOLLYWOOD. TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT.

1 Like

Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by agadez007(m): 11:18am On Jun 25, 2022
Transcriber:
as I said
2010 Nollywood

That's not present Nollywood
All highest grossing movies in Nigeria today are Yoruba dominated

You can kill yourself
that’s the nollywood many Africans fell in love with

The Pete edochie,mr ibu,patience ozokwor etc
Don’t compare them with these days Tyler perry copy copying they doing these days
We know it’s hard for you guys to accept that the south easterners played a big role in selling Nollywood to the world

1 Like

Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by 920adebusoye: 12:13pm On Jun 25, 2022
you can only decieve yourself Present Nollywood is Yoruba dominatedMaybe you're talking 2010 Nollywoodyou can only decieve yourself Present Nollywood is Yoruba dominatedMaybe you're talking 2010 Nollywood...
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by BKayy: 12:28pm On Jun 25, 2022
Chuksaluta:

I see Igbo Nollywood actors and actresses as the most stupid set of People in this life for subscribing to be part of AMVA awards where their worth as actors are humiliated by the organisers who just want to elevate their unknown Yoruba actors over them.

Till date many of them don't know that the movie awards of Nigeria was designed for one purpose and that purpose is to bring Igbo actors and Actresses down.

Until they design their own awards, they are all fóóls.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by Pinklygul: 12:48pm On Jun 25, 2022
LMAO

Igbos made Nollywood!

I can remember the days of Ahanna, Rattlesnake,Nneka the pretty serpent, Blood sisters,world Apart

That was when Nollywood held it's viewers to a still and gained recognition worldwide
Now all we see it's the Yorubas trying to remake this olden movies, trying to Change the storylines and mediocre movies that only has to do with showings off lekki estates
Nothing more nothing less!!

Like the other poster Said, I blame Igbo producers for Changing location from Enugu to Lagos and letting every dick,Tom and Harry to self-acclaim themselves actors and actresses

Nansins
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by God1stson(m): 1:19pm On Jun 25, 2022
zhike:

Yes, some of the movies have good story line
Don't mind the guy his response is born out of hate for the industrious southerners especially Igbos in the Nollyword. True I don't watch all of them but some do have good story line and reflect current issues in our society. For instance they will tell u is full of rituals, but many Yahoo boys in Nigeria are into rituals. So it's a reflection of society
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by God1stson(m): 1:29pm On Jun 25, 2022
leksite120:
But first, do you accept that most movies produced in Lagos are Yoruba inclined as opposed what you said?
Also, you cannot tell me that Bollywood is bigger than Hollywood. American movies travel far and wide all over the world than Bollywood even with their population.
What's the essence of making substandard movies and classifying them as movies. How many people watch Asaba movies. Even at that, Yoruba Nollywood too produces tonnes of movies.

Stop ur rubbish argument is just like arguing that the igbos dorminate naija music not that there are no Igbo musicians, but we know Yorubas have more trending musicians. So be humble for once you can't lead in all front.
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by leksite120(m): 1:55pm On Jun 25, 2022
God1stson:

Stop ur rubbish argument is just like arguing that the igbos dorminate naija music not that there are no Igbo musicians, but we know Yorubas have more trending musicians. So be humble for once you can't lead in all front.
shut up, if you say you dominated like 20yrs ago, I won't argue. But right now, Yoruba have taken over

4 Likes

Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by etrange: 2:51pm On Jun 25, 2022
ArewaNorth:

But Kannywood is the first film industry in Nigeria. Movies were first shot in Northern Nigeria before the creation of Nollywood or any Southern film industry.

Maybe that's true, but this has no bearing on my response. I explained the reason they aren't well represented in the industry today could be because of their religious belief (as was shared by them on the front page). Whether the industry started in the North wouldn't change that theory cause Nigerians had no say in what happened in the country before 1960. The films made in the North then (just a couple of them actually) featured more of white people and pushed thier own narratives. The North was chosen cause of the scenery and the landscape. The films didn't even have the linguistic characteristics of today's Kannywood, a predominantly Hausa movie industry.

There's a difference between Nigeria and British Nigeria. The British made films anywhere they wanted to with little to no regards to culture and religion and thus the supposed birth of our movie industry in the North. Today, they have the right to promote only what appeals to them.

This is not a debate or where the industry started (I couldn't care less). This is a question of why they aren't well represented in the industry today. I didn't manufacture the reason I gave, it was shares by Muslims on a front thread where they clearly stated that watching movies isn't good. So if you need to challenge something, it is that thread, not me.
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by henryobinna(m): 3:06pm On Jun 25, 2022
zhike:

Yes, some of the movies have good story line
lots of them actually have good story line, it's just the interpretation sometimes. And sometimes Nigerians feel Nollywood movies are inferior that's why you see them make silly comments about Nollywood movies. In the 90s and early 2000s Nigerian music were not celebrated by Nigerians, they mostly prefer listening to foreign music.

They believe by doing so they would be trendy or something along that line. That is the same feeling they have Nollywood movies today. Soon, Nollywood movies would begin to get appreciated the way Nigerian music is.

Nigerians sabi bad belle their own sometimes. This also applies to products made in Nigeria. Even though lots of these products are of great quality, Nigerians would term the products 'Aba made' just do they could feel better buying foreign made or imported products.
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by Transcriber: 3:12pm On Jun 25, 2022
ArewaNorth:

The Hausa language cinema slowly evolved from the productions of RTV Kaduna and Radio Kaduna in the 1960s. Veterans like Dalhatu Bawa and Kasimu Yero pioneered drama productions that became popular with the Northern audience.

In the 70's and 80's, Usman Baba Pategi and Mamman Ladan introduced the Hausa Comedy to the Northern audience.

1990s: Bollywood influence

The 1990s saw a dramatic change in the Hausa language cinema, eager to attract more Hausa audience who find Bollywood movies more attractive, Kannywood; a cinematic synthesis of Indian and Hausa culture evolved and became extremely popular. Turmin Danya ("The Draw"wink, 1990, is usually cited as the first commercially successful Kannywood film. It was quickly followed by others like Gimbiya Fatima In Da So Da Kauna, Munkar, Badakala and Kiyarda Da Ni. New actors like Ibrahim Mandawari and Hauwa Ali Dodo became popular and set the stage for the emergence of super-star like female actresses later on.

2000s Kannywood

By 2012, over 2000 film companies were registered with the Kano State Filmmakers Association.

A local censoring committee created by Kanywood Producers and Marketers was converted into a board and named Kano State Censorship Board in 2001 by Governor Rabiu Kwankwaso. Mr. Dahiru Beli was appointed the first Executive Secretary of the board.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hausa-language_cinema

NOLLYWOOD

On the other hand, Nollywood is a sobriquet that originally referred to the Nigerian film industry. The origin of the term dates back to the early 2000s, traced to an article in The New York Times. Due to the history of evolving meanings and contexts, there is no clear or agreed-upon definition for the term, which has made it a subject of several controversies.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nollywood
lol
Go and read on Ogunde
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by Armaggedon: 7:29pm On Jun 25, 2022
Transcriber:
you call those YouTube ad ridden trash movies?

Well I dont
most so called cinema movies are also on youtube. and most times traditional nollywood movies have more views than them.
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by ForumNL(m): 10:10pm On Sep 04, 2022
Nigeria have two movie industry
Kannywood and NOLLYWOOD
Kannywood is basically Muslim and Hausa movie industry

NOLLYWOOD include
1. NOLLYWOOD Yoruba
2. Nollywood English
3. Nollywood Igbo

3 distinct movie industry altogether

Talking of success
Nollywood English is most popular, in like 2010 it was more of igbos (era of aki and paw paw, Sam loko efe, Mr Ibu) with few Yoruba but within the space of 10 years Yoruba have dominate NOLLYWOOD English and now standard

Best Directors are Yoruba
Highest rated movies are directed and produced by Yorubas
More than 55% actors and actresses are Yoruba

From Omo ghetto
Chief daddy
King of thieves
Wedding party
Sugar rush
Prophetess
Fate of alakade
My village people
Jennifer's diary
The list is endless

Click the link to see the highest grossing Nigerian films

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_Nigerian_films

That's for NOLLYWOOD English

Now we all know NOLLYWOOD Yoruba is more popular and more successful than Nollywood Igbo, in fact the actors and actresses in Yoruba movies are far more successful than those in indigenous Igbo movies

If you argue this you are only fighting the truth
Peace
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by BeardedMeat(m): 10:16pm On Sep 04, 2022
etrange:
I just saw an Islamic "ruling on watching films" on the front page this morning. And according to that ruling, it is wrong to watch films cause the contents are lies and they normally play music in the background. It makes sense why they might not be well represented in such an industry.
What about the movies from Hausa nolly? Are they all christians?
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by BeardedMeat(m): 10:19pm On Sep 04, 2022
booblacain:
I guess the reason is because most Nigerian movies seen by foreigners are made by South easterners who are predominantly Christians.

Movies made by South Westerners I would believe have more muslims in their casts, but their films are not as popularly watched out there compared to their South Eastern counterpart.

Hausa movies that have mainly Muslime casts rarely even make their way out of the shores of Nigeria, maybe to Northern Africa but definitely not to Southern Africa.
Those south Africans are just looking for trouble. DStv is indigenous to them and there's African magic Hausa.
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by ForumNL(m): 10:40pm On Sep 04, 2022
They might not take note of the African magic Hausa
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by ForumNL(m): 10:41pm On Sep 04, 2022
Kannywood and NOLLYWOOD

NOLLYWOOD include
1. NOLLYWOOD Yoruba
2. Nollywood English
3. Nollywood Igbo

Talking of success
Nollywood English is most popular, in like 2010 it was more of igbos (era of aki and paw paw, Sam loko efe, Mr Ibu) with few Yoruba but within the space of 10 years Yoruba have dominate NOLLYWOOD English and now standard

From Omo ghetto
Chief daddy
King of thieves
Wedding party
Sugar rush
Prophetess
Fate of alakade
My village people
Jennifer's diary
The list is endless

Now we all know NOLLYWOOD Yoruba is more popular and more successful than Nollywood Igbo, in fact the actors and actresses in Yoruba movies are far more successful than those in indigenous Igbo movies

Peace
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by zhike: 12:06am On Sep 05, 2022
ForumNL:
Kannywood and NOLLYWOOD

NOLLYWOOD include
1. NOLLYWOOD Yoruba
2. Nollywood English
3. Nollywood Igbo

Talking of success

From Omo ghetto
Chief daddy
King of thieves
Wedding party
Sugar rush
Prophetess
Fate of alakade
My village people
Jennifer's diary
The list is endless

Peace

Thanks for the clarification, in South Africa we only know Nollywood English.

Maybe Kannywood is Known in Saudi Arabia

1 Like

Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by RobsonsTARz: 12:09am On Sep 05, 2022
Totilopussylick:

I think this is just to entertain you tongue undecided
In this section?
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by zhike: 12:09am On Sep 05, 2022
BeardedMeat:
Those south Africans are just looking for trouble. DStv is indigenous to them and there's African magic Hausa.

My friend note that Dstv is a business and they know their customers. There is no way a channel called Africa magic hausa can be shown in South Africa.
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by zhike: 12:16am On Sep 05, 2022
BeardedMeat:

Just to teach you, channels that you see on Nigerian dstv is not the channels they see on South African dstv.

Most South Africans do not know that there is language called Hausa.

Most South Africans do not know that there is black people who are Muslims.
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by Armaggedon: 2:56am On Sep 05, 2022
There is no branch of movie industry in Nigeria or elsewhere known as "nollywood yoruba"
Although there has been attempts to have that niche but it has often failed mainly because unlike kannywood, the proponents want to make a name by building on the foundation laid by the booming nollywood, in an exoparasite fashion. For instance, kannywood movie makers have their own association, nollywood have Actors guild of Nigeria while Western actors had Association of theartre arts practitioners of Nigeria (ATAPN) . But ATAPN seems to have collapsed just like the 'yoruwood' wood project as no one hears about them.

There is no clear distinction between regular english movies and cinema movies as most actors and producers in the smaller cinema sector also do regular nollywood movies.

There is also no clear distinction between English movies and Igbo language movies since they are done by the same people.

The only clear distinctions are:
1) Kannywood by the Northerners

2) Yoruba language movies by the yorubas

3) Nollywood by Igbos done in English and Igbo language as well in the cinemas, accommodating some modern 'lekki elements' of the Yorubas

It is the third one that is known by foreigners as the Nigerian movie industry.
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by BeardedMeat(m): 7:06am On Sep 05, 2022
zhike:

Just to teach you, channels that you see on Nigerian dstv is not the channels they see on South African dstv.

Most South Africans do not know that there is language called Hausa.

Most South Africans do not know that there is black people who are Muslims.
You may be right or not. After all we receive their own stations here in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Best Nigerian Film Ever: 'Last Men Of New Jerusalem'? / Bbtitans 2023: Top 10 Richest Big Brother Titans Season1 Housemates / How To Pass A Movie Audition, Even If It Is Your First Time.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.