Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,011 members, 7,817,981 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian - TV/Movies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian (7369 Views)

BBNaija: Erica's Igbo Cultural Presentation Impresses South Africans / 20 Common Comments & Phrases Used In Nigerian Movies / Dstv Responds To A Customer Asking Why The Increase In Tariffs. (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by Donmobi(m): 12:53pm On Sep 05, 2022
ForumNL:

Can you now see how you are getting yourself busted
1. You just agreed with me that Papa Ajasco and his group members are known in African countries (fantastic - always calm down to read)
2. Get your facts right, NOLLYWOOD has second largest movies production by volume - bunch of substandard movies - Thanks to Yorubas for bring NOLLYWOOD into international glaring

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_Nigerian_films

https://www.studiobinder.com/blog/what-is-nollywood/
volume kwa?
What's the difference with what you just wrote and LARGEST PRODUCING??
As to the first line, i did put "perhaps" some African countries might.
This isn't a big feat mate, this one you're celebrating it, igbo actors are known almost globally from our movies.

Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by Donmobi(m): 12:57pm On Sep 05, 2022
ForumNL:

You want to deny mentioning Odunlade Adekola right

Yeye dey smell

I have goTV and I know there is African magic Igbo whenever I scroll but I don't know any Igbo actor

Give me any Igbo actor that can speak well like Lateef Adedimeji without their igbotic accent

Dem Peter Obi grin grin grin grin grin
lol.
Atleast your sense of humour is trying.
Don't know your Lateef, but as to epiccultural igbo movies using english as the main language to appeal to a large scale audience, even yoruba actors come to play roles in those films. I do know Odunlade, real talented lad.
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by Armaggedon: 12:59pm On Sep 05, 2022
ForumNL:

Did you just say NOLLYWOOD is the 2nd largest movie production but in ranking of best movies production Nollywood is not in top 10

So what are you saying?

"2nd largest Production by volume" bunch of substandard movies that has not gone beyond Nigeria

If there is actors that known in other African countries it will be the likes of Papa Ajasco etc

Stop celebrating mediocrity
This is the inferiority complex I am talking about. You are so bothered about other peoples approval that you're afraid to make a move.

Always concerned about Hollywood and Oscar when you have a different audience to appeal to and entertainment.
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by ForumNL(m): 12:59pm On Sep 05, 2022
Donmobi:
volume kwa?
What's the difference with what you just wrote and LARGEST PRODUCING??
As to the first line, i did put "perhaps" some African countries might.
This isn't a big feat mate, this one you're celebrating it, igbo actors are known almost globally from our movies.

Is that a reasonable celebration

Large volume but not in top 10 best movie industry

Does that make any sense?
Woh, I'm out of this conversations

Only an Igbo will see verifiable facts and data and still argue

Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by ForumNL(m): 1:02pm On Sep 05, 2022
Donmobi:
lol.
Atleast your sense of humour is trying.
Don't know your Lateef, but as to epiccultural igbo movies using english as the main language to appeal to a large scale audience, even yoruba actors come to play roles in those films. I do know Odunlade, real talented lad.

Oga, Igbo movies use Igbo
African magic Igbo is there

NOLLYWOOD English is clearly different from Igbo movies

Clear difference

1 Like

Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by Donmobi(m): 1:07pm On Sep 05, 2022
ForumNL:

Is that a reasonable celebration

Large volume but not in top 10 best movie industry

Does that make any sense?
Woh, I'm out of this conversations

Only an Igbo will see verifiable facts and data and still argue

you keep showing me nothing friend.
The movie industry has made a name far and wide, nothing you can say or do differs that fact.
Now, you've been celebrating about your movies on Netflix.
But still hasn't gotten an Oscar nomination, umm....
Let me help you.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nigerian_submissions_for_the_Academy_Award_for_Best_International_Feature_Film
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by Donmobi(m): 1:10pm On Sep 05, 2022
ForumNL:

Oga, Igbo movies use Igbo
African magic Igbo is there

NOLLYWOOD English is clearly different from Igbo movies

Clear difference
yeah.
They are igbo movies with igbo language as the main use, but they are also epic movies, 90% igbo plot, but uses english, because of the demand for igbo films.
Sò get?
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by ForumNL(m): 5:18pm On Sep 05, 2022
Donmobi:
you keep showing me nothing friend.
The movie industry has made a name far and wide, nothing you can say or do differs that fact.
Now, you've been celebrating about your movies on Netflix.
But still hasn't gotten an Oscar nomination, umm....
Let me help you.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nigerian_submissions_for_the_Academy_Award_for_Best_International_Feature_Film
Just as I told you before, it's a gradual process, give it time, classical movies started recently big thanks to the Yorubas

The question you should ask is that, over the years why has none of the substandard Nollywood movies won any international award or get recognized by Netflix
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by Donmobi(m): 7:16pm On Sep 05, 2022
ForumNL:

Just as I told you before, it's a gradual process, give it time, classical movies started recently big thanks to the Yorubas

The question you should ask is that, over the years why has none of the substandard Nollywood movies won any international award or get recognized by Netflix
igbo dominated movies was even the first to enter Netflix, mate.
It's obvious you don't even know what you're talking about.
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by ForumNL(m): 7:18pm On Sep 05, 2022
Donmobi:
Oga stop living in denial

Which igbo gan,
Yoruba first
South south next before anything called Igbo

Stop mentioning me
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by Bulldozer90: 9:41pm On Sep 13, 2022
ForumNL:
See movies abeg

Directors - Yoruba
Cast : Yoruba
Producers - Yoruba
sorry to interrupt but i just feel you should know how it works. "Highest grossing" only applies to the cinema movies which is just a fraction of the industry. For instance, the most commercially successful nollywood movie is Lion heart but it's not even shown among highest grossing movies because it was released on a streaming platform.
Secondly, 'highest grossing' rating standard is not a true reflection of commercial success because it captures only sales revenue without subtracting it from the cost of production, promotion and cinema share. If a movie grosses 100 million, we might never know if 10 million was the actual profit. But someone outside the cinema produced a movie with 10million and 'grossed' 20million made more success because his approach is more economically sustainable, and he is more likely to produce more.
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by ForumNL(m): 10:30am On Sep 14, 2022
Bulldozer90:
sorry to interrupt but i just feel you should know how it works. "Highest grossing" only applies to the cinema movies which is just a fraction of the industry. For instance, the most commercially successful nollywood movie is Lion heart but it's not even shown among highest grossing movies because it was released on a streaming platform.
Secondly, 'highest grossing' rating standard is not a true reflection of commercial success because it captures only sales revenue without subtracting it from the cost of production, promotion and cinema share. If a movie grosses 100 million, we might never know if 10 million was the actual profit. But someone outside the cinema produced a movie with 10million and 'grossed' 20million made more success because his approach is more economically sustainable, and he is more likely to produce more.

Thank you
The most popular streaming site for Nollywood movies are

1. Netflix : In 2018, Netflix acquired LionHeart. Currently, there are a host of other Nollywood movies on Netflix including King of Boys, Up North, The Vendor, Moms at War, Mokalik, Chief Daddy and more.

2. Showmax
With movies like The lost cafe, Ojukokoro, Roti, 93 days, and Banana island ghost on its platform,
3. NollyLand
4. IrokoTV
5. YouTube
6. Filmland etc

And all these movies in the link here are on these streaming platforms

If they can get that amount from cinema alone then they have millions running into their account through other platforms

Lastly
Please take note that budget is there

The budget include cost of production and promotion

For instance Wedding party 2 budget is #60,000,000 and box office is #453,000,000

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wedding_Party_(2016_film)

Another one is Omo Ghetto
Is the only the second movie in English speaking West Africa to cross the ₦600 million at box office mark after Black Panther

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omo_Ghetto:_The_Saga

2 Likes

Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by Bulldozer90: 12:28pm On Sep 14, 2022
ForumNL:

Thank you

1. Netflix : In 2018, Netflix acquired LionHeart. Currently, there are a host of other Nollywood movies on Netflix including King of Boys, Up North, The Vendor, Moms at War, Mokalik, Chief Daddy and more.

2. Showmax
With movies like The lost cafe, Ojukokoro, Roti, 93 days, and Banana island ghost on its platform,
3. NollyLand
4. IrokoTV
5. YouTube
6. Filmland etc

If they can get that amount from cinema alone then they have millions running into their account through other platforms

Lastly

For instance Wedding party 2 budget is #60,000,000 and box office is #453,000,000

Is the only the second movie in English speaking West Africa to cross the ₦600 million at box office mark after Black Panther

You are repeating what you stated that made me quote you without improving your argument. Netflix acquired lionheart for 3.8 million dollars.if it were a cinema movie, it would be grossing over 2 billion naira from today's exchange rate! yet, the people who produced the movie are your traditional nollywood personalities.

Again, Njoku of Iroko did a research before investing in nollywood and found out that cinema holds only about 5%, while DVD and cable TV holds the rest. He chose to open a streaming channel and a TV channel. Today, he is the richest person in nollywood.
If the cinema sector is viable, he would have owned cinemas across the country. over 95% of nollywood fans have never been to cinemas before. we are not talking about constant visitors. This is why most cinemas look forward to special holidays like Christmas to sale tickets

That is why i say the people you chose to slight are the ones who sustain nollywood. They are the ones who connect to African audience, they have traditional faces in nollywood because they are most widely watched.
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by ForumNL(m): 1:14pm On Sep 14, 2022
Bulldozer90:
You are repeating what you stated that made me quote you without improving your argument. Netflix acquired lionheart for 3.8 million dollars.if it were a cinema movie, it would be grossing over 2 billion naira from today's exchange rate! yet, the people who produced the movie are your traditional nollywood personalities.

Why leaving the real deal to discuss same thing that have explained up there

Since you want to play around, I'm ready for you

Lionsheart box office is #21.3million (lol, e shock u) so don't even dream of 2 billion naira, lol

Source : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionheart_(2018_film)

Again, Njoku of Iroko did a research before investing in nollywood and found out that cinema holds only about 5%, while DVD and cable TV holds the rest. He chose to open a streaming channel and a TV channel. Today, he is the richest person in nollywood.
1. The way you people always draft lies, which data show that cinema has 5%?
2. Is like you were with him when he did they research haba!
Igbo why now
3. In this generation who is still using DVD ?

You've been talking since, bring unverifiable data, all your thoughts here without legit source

Is it about the population of Nigerians that have been to cinema or where you as a producer can make your money, saying cinema is 5% is a big error from you

Now I understand where Peter Obi is coming from, just talk anyhow, spill mind whether correct or wrong

Don't go astray, the main point is that Yorubas dominate Nollywood
Shikena

That is why i say the people you chose to slight are the ones who sustain nollywood. They are the ones who connect to African audience, they have traditional faces in nollywood because they are most widely watched.
List those who sustain Nollywood?
You are living in old age

2 Likes

Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by Rahman2330(m): 12:20pm On Sep 17, 2022
ForumNL:

Why leaving the real deal to discuss same thing that have explained up there

Since you want to play around, I'm ready for you

Lionsheart box office is #21.3million (lol, e shock u) so don't even dream of 2 billion naira, lol

Source : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionheart_(2018_film)

1. The way you people always draft lies, which data show that cinema has 5%?
2. Is like you were with him when he did they research haba!
Igbo why now
3. In this generation who is still using DVD ?

You've been talking since, bring unverifiable data, all your thoughts here without legit source

Is it about the population of Nigerians that have been to cinema or where you as a producer can make your money, saying cinema is 5% is a big error from you

Now I understand where Peter Obi is coming from, just talk anyhow, spill mind whether correct or wrong

Don't go astray, the main point is that Yorubas dominate Nollywood
Shikena

List those who sustain Nollywood?
You are living in old age

This is clear enough
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by Rahman2330(m): 12:21pm On Sep 17, 2022
ForumNL:

Thank you

2. Showmax
3. NollyLand
4. IrokoTV
5. YouTube
6. Filmland etc

Lastly

Don't mind the igbotic guy
He is arguing with verifiable data without bringing any data

The truth is Yorubas dominate movie industry

3 Likes

Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by ForumNL(m): 1:50pm On Sep 17, 2022
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Figurine

Since the mid-2000s, during the decline of the video-film era, the Nigerian cinema has undergone some restructuring to promote quality in output and professionalism in the industry, with The Figurine (2009) widely regarded as marking the major turnaround of contemporary Nigerian cinema . There has since been a resurgence in cinema establishments, and a steady return of the cinema culture in Nigeria.

As of 2013, Nigerian cinema is rated as the third most valuable film industry in the world based on its worth and revenues generated

The Figurine
Written by - Kemi Adesoye
Produced - Kunle Afolayan
Directed - Kunle Afolayan
Narration - Lagbaja
Cinematography - Yinka Edwards
Music - Wale Waves
Edited - Kayode Adeleke and Steve Sodiya
Language - English and Yoruba
Shot in Lagos and Osun State

Cast
Ramsey Nouah
Omoni Oboli
Kunle Afolayan
Funlola Aofiyebi-Raimi
Tosin Sido
Kate Adepegba
Muraima Oyelami
Wale Adebayo
Jide Kosoko
Lagbaja
Yomi fash lanso
Ombo gogo ombo
Etc

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by zhike: 11:31pm On Sep 27, 2022
Why does Nigerians vote according to Religion or tribe?

For example, no one knows the religion of South African President Cyril Ramaphosa. Ramaphosa is from a Venda tribe, which is the smallest tribe in South Africa.
On top of the above statements, South Africans voted for Ramaphosa.
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by zhike: 11:33pm On Sep 27, 2022
Rahman2330:

Don't mind the igbotic guy
He is arguing with verifiable data without bringing any data

The truth is Yorubas dominate movie industry

Tribalism and Religion is a problem in Nigeria.
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by zhike: 10:56pm On Oct 13, 2022
zhike:

Tribalism and Religion is a problem in Nigeria.

South Africa produces quality movies and Nigeria produces quantity movies.
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by ForumNL(m): 10:17am On Oct 14, 2022
zhike:

Gone are the days when Nigeria produce quantity movies with no quality

Stop downgrading what you have, south Africa is no where better than Nigeria right now when it comes to movies

Anikulapo is currently topping Netflix Globally

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by ForumNL(m): 10:26am On Oct 14, 2022
Anikulapo is currently topping Netflix globally

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by ForumNL(m): 10:27am On Oct 14, 2022
Omoluabi

2 Likes

Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by zhike: 1:10am On Oct 15, 2022
ForumNL:

Gone are the days when Nigeria produce quantity movies with no quality

Stop downgrading what you have, south Africa is no where better than Nigeria right now when it comes to movies

Anikulapo is currently topping Netflix Globally

There is no way you can compare quality of South Africans movies with quality of Nigerian movies.

Pls check Jerusalem movie
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by ForumNL(m): 9:59am On Oct 15, 2022
zhike:

There is no way you can compare quality of South Africans movies with quality of Nigerian movies.

Pls check Jerusalem movie
You are daydreaming

Brotherhood, blood sisters, Anikulapo, King of Boys, His Excellency

These movies broke beyong Africa, I can continue listing
South Africa is no where near Nigeria in movie and music industry
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by ForumNL(m): 10:03am On Oct 15, 2022
zhike:

This mumu is a south African grin grin grin grin
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by zhike: 12:17pm On Oct 15, 2022
ForumNL:

This mumu is a south African grin grin grin grin
Therefore?
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by Armaggedon: 9:28pm On Dec 07, 2022
ForumNL:
Anikulapo is currently topping Netflix globally
Trending on netflix?the so called trend is within a period of one week, among non English language movies. trend indeed!
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by Armaggedon: 9:36pm On Dec 07, 2022
ForumNL:

You are daydreaming

Brotherhood, blood sisters, Anikulapo, King of Boys, His Excellency

These movies broke beyong Africa, I can continue listing
South Africa is no where near Nigeria in movie and music industry
I have warned you that a nigerian movie is on cinema doesn't make it good. It is misleading to use cinema grossing to rate nollywood movies. foreign movies still dominate nigerian cinema and your local movies are performing poorly.

President of Cinema Exhibitors Association of Nigeria, CEAN, Mr. Patrick Lee recently opened up on why they are showing more foreign films than local ones in the Nigerian box office.

Lee said their action become necessary following the high demand for foreign films by the theatre goers.

CEAN boss was responding to Nollywood producers, who accused the cinema owners of not only rivalling them in terms of film production, but also, devoting more time and space to foreign films at the detriment of local ones in the country’s box office.

However, defending the action of the cinema owners, while speaking at the maiden edition of Film4Life conference on the business of film making, organized in memory of late Chris Ekejimbe, which held recently in Lagos, Lee revealed that as business people they are responding to the needs of their customers.

According to him, following a research carried out by them on the type of films people like to watch, over 50 per cent of the respondents indicted interest in action movies, while 70 percent of others preferred to watch thriller and romance movies.

“Based on the research, as an exhibitor, I have to take that information very seriously. And so, when I’m doing my scheduling, I have to put that into consideration. For instance, if I have an action movie, be it a Hollywood film, the truth of the matter is that it’s what my customers want to see,” he explained.
I’m experimenting with ‘House of Talents’— Andy Boyo

Explaining further, Lee said cinema goers usually pay for three things; the story line, excitement level of the films and the special effects and stars featured in the movies. And these attributes are not lacking in when it comes Hollywood movies. “That’s how the look at Hollywood movies,” he said, adding “Hollywood movies doesn’t have to have fantastic story line, but if it has very good special effect, the audience will pay to watch the film.”

“Unfortunately, in terms of Nollywood, we haven’t gotten to that point of special effect. So, we have to compensate with something else. We haven’t reached the level, where we can pay huge amount of money to be able to get to that special effect level.”

Lee, however, urged the federal government to subsidized the amount paid by theatre goers to watch movies in the cinemas at least for five years. This, he said will encourage the cinema owners to start showing more Nollywood movies in the box office.
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by zhike: 12:32am On Dec 28, 2022
Donmobi:

How do you identify Muslim in the Nigerians movies?
Re: South Africans Are Asking Why In Nigerian Movies Everyone Is Christian by zhike: 12:36am On Dec 28, 2022
Armaggedon:
I have warned you that a nigerian movie is on cinema doesn't make it good. It is misleading to use cinema grossing to rate nollywood movies. foreign movies still dominate nigerian cinema and your local movies are performing poorly.

Does Nigerian christians wear white dress And cap normally worn by Nigerians in the movies?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Best Nigerian Film Ever: 'Last Men Of New Jerusalem'? / Bbtitans 2023: Top 10 Richest Big Brother Titans Season1 Housemates / How To Pass A Movie Audition, Even If It Is Your First Time.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.