Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,225 members, 7,822,155 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:28 AM

100k Job On The Mainland Vs 150k Job On Island. Please Help!!! - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 100k Job On The Mainland Vs 150k Job On Island. Please Help!!! (12813 Views)

Job Of 130k On The Mainland Or Job Of 330k On The Island (please Advise Me) / N5 Million Cash Or A 100k Job? Help Him Decide / Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 100k Job On The Mainland Vs 150k Job On Island. Please Help!!! by Mom007(f): 3:27pm On Jul 21, 2022
Better do your calculations well. Nigerians think everything is about money... Time no? Stress no? Peace of mind no? Better don't rake a job that will burn you out in a few months then u loose both ways. Stick with your Mai land job until something better comes along. 30k incentive is too poor to make such a drastic switch. Besides, do that your calculations again o... 20k/month transport expenses in a day... In Lagos..? Adonbelievit!

1 Like

Re: 100k Job On The Mainland Vs 150k Job On Island. Please Help!!! by BrodaAgbaya: 3:27pm On Jul 21, 2022
Bro/Sis,

Pls go for the Island Job, reasons are below;

1. Teller job is a waste of your time, you won`t be promoted and you won`t be converted to a full staff anytime soon.. Prolly you`d end up being an ET at age 35.
2. As a teller, you don`t even get HMO or pension plans. If you are a full staff at the Island place, you should be entitled to these plans.
3. Career growth is very important, after a year or two at these place you can afford to change jobs and certainly you should be negotiating 250 above depending on your skills.
4. You can always get a room around yaba, gbagada, shomolu, bariga, oworo, surulere, ojuelegba to reduce the stress of traffic.
5. You are getting a higher pay, 150k is still better than 100k.
6. The change of environment is always good, you`d meet new people on the island (finer working babes mostly)
7. Teller job na useless job once again, i`d rather sell puff puff by the junction that do teller.

You really cant get it wrong with this new job, pls do

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 100k Job On The Mainland Vs 150k Job On Island. Please Help!!! by odaniel1(m): 3:35pm On Jul 21, 2022
A friend took a similar decision and chose the AM (asset management) division. More growth, opportunities, etc. as compared to sitting in a position with no hope for growth. He decided to stay at cheap Orile/Ajegunle, closer to Marina. That way, He does not have to wake up at 4 am to get to the island. 6.30-7 am, He gets to work and comes back before 8 pm latest.
Re: 100k Job On The Mainland Vs 150k Job On Island. Please Help!!! by BrodaAgbaya: 3:37pm On Jul 21, 2022
kalvoken:
Most of you saying career growth this and that, have you considered the health of the OP? How long is he going to keep waking by 4am and return home as early as 12 am?

Is the gross 50k worth the mental and physical stress? If you have no where to stay at the island, please take up the 100k mainland job and keep searching for a better one.

I can recall neighbour's HOUSE WIFE locking him out on daily basis when he returns by 1 am from his island job. Same man as you all know leaves home by 4 am. He's the one that opens and locks the gate daily.

Abeg rest with the 4am and 12am talk, he can get a room around shomolu. I wake up 5;30/6am and i get back home by 7:730pm for this same shomolu.

1 Like

Re: 100k Job On The Mainland Vs 150k Job On Island. Please Help!!! by ggoldmine: 3:39pm On Jul 21, 2022
How ambitious are you? Is relocation an option? If you pursue the Island job, do you envision continuing and consolidating in that career field long-term? Do you have plans to progress within that bank should there be an opportunity? Which of them provides job security should economic crisis become imminent. I'd advise you to weigh all your pros and cons.

Profmetoo:
Good morning guys

So I currently work with one of the top commercial banks and I was posted to one of their branches on the mainland very close to my place of residence. So I incur close to zero cost of transportation, no traffic issue, no stress. And the salary is 100k, no promotion in sight, career growth is uncertain and the role isn't really great for my CV. I'm a teller.

Last week I did an interview via zoom because of the nature of my work and I got another job, but on the island. It's a private equity firm and the pay is 150k. The cost of transportation for the month is about 20k. There's great career growth and opportunities for self development. However, I fear the stress of going to the island and back daily. Waking up as early as 4am sometimes and coming back home late.

Please advise me on which to choose. I have till Monday to decide.

Those working on the island and staying on the mainland, how do you cope?

Thank you.

Mods
Lalasticlala
Re: 100k Job On The Mainland Vs 150k Job On Island. Please Help!!! by Starz825(m): 3:46pm On Jul 21, 2022
Profmetoo:

Okay thanks
Na the island job dey your mind already cheesy
Re: 100k Job On The Mainland Vs 150k Job On Island. Please Help!!! by All4one111: 3:47pm On Jul 21, 2022
doggedfighter:
take 150k job. transport would not be more than 10k difference at the end of the month. but be sure the closing time is friendly, say 5pm, also when you say island, i hope its Lagos Island and not Lekki. if you really need the extra pay, go for island.
Re: 100k Job On The Mainland Vs 150k Job On Island. Please Help!!! by eyeforeye(m): 3:51pm On Jul 21, 2022
The nature of your body is another factor you need to consider as it will aid your commitment on the island job, if your body doesn't accommodate the stress of commuting from mainland to island, stay on the mainland and look out for another job while you self develop yourself.

PS. With 100k salary you don't need too much of friends and family functions should be base on priority. Remember your mental and physical health is important.
Re: 100k Job On The Mainland Vs 150k Job On Island. Please Help!!! by Ppp1p: 4:04pm On Jul 21, 2022
Decide
Re: 100k Job On The Mainland Vs 150k Job On Island. Please Help!!! by pocohantas(f): 4:07pm On Jul 21, 2022
Nigerian youths shouldn’t be scared to propose remote work. If the salary is not enough to cater for your transportation, look at the interview without fear and tell them you would prefer working remotely.

Going out of your house by 5am for 60k job shouldn’t be happening in 2022. Especially when it is something you can do from home.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 100k Job On The Mainland Vs 150k Job On Island. Please Help!!! by GloriousGbola: 4:08pm On Jul 21, 2022
pocohantas:
Nigerian youths shouldn’t be scared to propose remote work. If the salary is not enough to cater for your transportation, look at the interview without fear and tell them you would prefer working remotely.

Going out of your house by 5am for 60k job shouldn’t be happening in 2022. Especially when it is something you can do from home.

Heh. You may still burn the money on gen cry angry

1 Like

Re: 100k Job On The Mainland Vs 150k Job On Island. Please Help!!! by Worldbest281: 4:13pm On Jul 21, 2022
Choose island you will survive
Re: 100k Job On The Mainland Vs 150k Job On Island. Please Help!!! by pocohantas(f): 4:25pm On Jul 21, 2022
GloriousGbola:

Heh. You may still burn the money on gen cry angry

Hahaha! That is true. But the person can easily find a hotel, Bet9ja shop or fastfood to work from. Tip the manager monthly and you would be fine.

1 Like

Re: 100k Job On The Mainland Vs 150k Job On Island. Please Help!!! by 735i(m): 4:32pm On Jul 21, 2022
How can you have an offer from a PE and be contemplating a teller job? Besides, which PE pays N150k? that's ridiculously low, even for an IB
Re: 100k Job On The Mainland Vs 150k Job On Island. Please Help!!! by Blazadenise(m): 4:34pm On Jul 21, 2022
Were una they see this job na...
Re: 100k Job On The Mainland Vs 150k Job On Island. Please Help!!! by dododawa1: 4:42pm On Jul 21, 2022
₦150 on island,low benefit on mainland unlike lsland.
Re: 100k Job On The Mainland Vs 150k Job On Island. Please Help!!! by Vitally123: 4:51pm On Jul 21, 2022
Profmetoo:
Good morning guys

So I currently work with one of the top commercial banks and I was posted to one of their branches on the mainland very close to my place of residence. So I incur close to zero cost of transportation, no traffic issue, no stress. And the salary is 100k, no promotion in sight, career growth is uncertain and the role isn't really great for my CV. I'm a teller.

Last week I did an interview via zoom because of the nature of my work and I got another job, but on the island. It's a private equity firm and the pay is 150k. The cost of transportation for the month is about 20k. There's great career growth and opportunities for self development. However, I fear the stress of going to the island and back daily. Waking up as early as 4am sometimes and coming back home late.

Thank you.

Mods
Lalasticlala

Check the prospects: growth opportunity, job security of both and then transportation cost, then choose the better option; good luck.
Re: 100k Job On The Mainland Vs 150k Job On Island. Please Help!!! by PharmacyStore: 4:58pm On Jul 21, 2022
Both are decent enough
Re: 100k Job On The Mainland Vs 150k Job On Island. Please Help!!! by itslinkin4005(m): 5:33pm On Jul 21, 2022
Profmetoo:
Good morning guys

So I currently work with one of the top commercial banks and I was posted to one of their branches on the mainland very close to my place of residence. So I incur close to zero cost of transportation, no traffic issue, no stress. And the salary is 100k, no promotion in sight, career growth is uncertain and the role isn't really great for my CV. I'm a teller. Better remain in that your mainland ooooooh.

Thank you.

Mods
Lalasticlala
Re: 100k Job On The Mainland Vs 150k Job On Island. Please Help!!! by Watinhapen(m): 5:55pm On Jul 21, 2022
I see you already prefer the 150k job. Some people are living in Ikorodu and working in the Island. The 150k job is obviously better off. All you need to know is plan your movements and you’ll be fine.
Re: 100k Job On The Mainland Vs 150k Job On Island. Please Help!!! by DearGorgeous(f): 5:59pm On Jul 21, 2022
Profmetoo:
Good morning guys

Thank you.

Mods
Lalasticlala

Working in Island no be beans at all.

The hellish traffic, indiscriminate increase in TFare by the drivers, especially in the evenings, if you're not mobile; stress, waking up earlier than usual, encountering those terrible human beings on Akpongbo bridge or around National Theatre, cost of eating decent food, etc?

The list of disadvantages is rather endless, but I will advise that you seek the face of God concerning this matter, for He alone knows the end of a thing from the beginning thereof.

Wishing you best of luck on whichever decision you take.
Re: 100k Job On The Mainland Vs 150k Job On Island. Please Help!!! by gerizzim: 6:19pm On Jul 21, 2022
Mom007:
Better do your calculations well. Nigerians think everything is about money... Time no? Stress no? Peace of mind no? Better don't rake a job that will burn you out in a few months then u loose both ways. Stick with your Mai land job until something better comes along. 30k incentive is too poor to make such a drastic switch. Besides, do that your calculations again o... 20k/month transport expenses in a day... In Lagos..? Adonbelievit!

he dint add feeding xpenses aside the 20k.
He will be denied good sleep and lack of good sleep affects ones health.
the stress sef fit no make the 150k show for him body because of the plenty stress.
Re: 100k Job On The Mainland Vs 150k Job On Island. Please Help!!! by leonard002(m): 6:30pm On Jul 21, 2022
Go for the one with growth prospects
Re: 100k Job On The Mainland Vs 150k Job On Island. Please Help!!! by Onepointfiveodds: 8:06pm On Jul 21, 2022
Profmetoo:
Good morning guys

Thank you.

Mods
Lalasticlala

Cost of transportation 20k for a month?! Mainland to the island, i find this very hard to believe, please clear me
Re: 100k Job On The Mainland Vs 150k Job On Island. Please Help!!! by oluwatosin070: 8:12pm On Jul 21, 2022
I will suggest you move to island. Opportunity percentage is higher on the island.

Additionally, your career growth is assured on the island than the mainland.

That's my own advice.

God be with you.
Re: 100k Job On The Mainland Vs 150k Job On Island. Please Help!!! by t2luv1: 9:57pm On Jul 21, 2022
Profmetoo:
Good morning guys

Thank you.

Mods
Lalasticlala

Here is the deal. An old man gave me one good piece of advice that I still used today. Son, it ain't how much they pay that matters it is how much you come home wit home with that matters. Do your calculation then decide based on that

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

CIPM NIGERIA: Application Requirements And Procedure / Risk Management Forum / Chevron: No Plan To Migrate Jobs Outside Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.