Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,159 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:00 AM

Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! (19598 Views)

Dealing With Misconceptions : 10 Things The Bible Never Said About Creation / Man Shoots At Jehovah Witnesses For Visiting / Jehovah's Witnesses: the only true religion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by Nobody: 8:52pm On Jul 26, 2011
Thanks for your patience.
I was hoping a "J.W peep" (someone with above average understanding of this issue, unlike me!), will "bail-us-out" but it wont be fair if we dont even make an attempt, at least from our own "main stream Christianity" point of view.

Although I am impressed by the time you took to put forward your explanations or argument I am not fooled into believing you are NOT a JW based on the past posts on this thread. That's why my questions were directed at you and Lagos shia. Too many give aways.

However thanks for once again but by the way why Jesus did not make any attempt to contradict the fact that it was law but rather JUSTIFIED HIS ACTION. SO there you go. Anyway I am out of here and done with JW issues.
Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by lastpage: 12:54am On Jul 27, 2011
Anyways, you're wrong on that assumption!

if you read the beginning of this thread, l did make it very clear, as l am somebody for "transparency and full disclosure", that my "old folks" where J.W's and you will be right if you conclude that l was "exposed to their teachings for sometime, while growing up".
You cannot be a "good child" like me and not learn a few things from your old folks grin

I also have made allusions to the church l attend right now (Just go through the earlier postings l made) which is RCCG.

Do l admire them (J.W's) in certain things? You bet.
Do l agree with everything they say or do? No, l have my differences.
Do l agree with everything my own church does? No, l dont, but l still do respect them.

Just see me as someone who wants the best of both worlds! wink wink

Now, Jesus did not "justify the issue"; he did (to my understanding) make them understand that "they are chasing straws", leaving more weightier things and harping on "moral issues"!
Now, blood eating, as even repeated in the New testament, WAS NOT A MORAL ISSUE!
It was a serious LAW. (impeachable offense as we would say in the Assembly House! grin )

All the same, "we agree to disagree", l appreciate your candor and remain blessed.

Lastpage.

BTW: I think @LagosShia@ is a Muslim (Shia Muslim), It does not make difference or change anything but l may be wrong about him sha!
Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by buy1get2(m): 3:00pm On Jul 28, 2011
Go to Google and type JEHOVAH WITNESS you see a lot things bad things how they kill them all over the world , even the whole world hate them , i have written a book on UNTOLD STORY ABOUT Jehovah witness. when you see them run, they are curt , the REAL ANTICHRIST .Join The Apostolic Faith and all your PROBLEM is solved
Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by brainpulse: 3:13pm On Jul 28, 2011
@ OP

LET ME ASK YOU SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT THERE BELIEVE?

1. WHY DONT THEY PREACH JESUS CHRIST WHY KINGDOM? MAT 28: 18, ACT 5 :42
2. WHY DONT THEY PREACH SALVATION KNOWING FULLY WELL THAT THE FULCRUM OF TALKING TO PEOPLE LIES ON SALVATION-MARK 16:15
3. APART FROM THE BIBLE HOW MANY MISERIES OF GOD, CHRIST, AND HOLY SPIRIT DO YOU KNOW?
4. WHY DRUNK WITH WINE INSTEAD OF BEING DRUNK WITH THE HOLYSPIRIT. EPH 5 :18, TITUS 1:7. 1 TIM 3:3
5. WHY NOT START WHEN THEY PRAY WITH THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST KNOWING FULLY WELL THAT THE BIBLE SAYS , THAT HE (GOD) HAS GIVEN US A NAME MORE THAN EVERY OTHER NAME. AND THAT HE HAS EXALTED IN MORE THAN, MAT 28:18.
Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by brainpulse: 3:29pm On Jul 28, 2011
@ OP

I DOUBT IF YOU ARE FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT JUST A REGULAR CHURCH GOER AT RCCG.

THE QUESTION YOU ARE ASKING AND THE MIDDLE STAND OF YOUR VIEW I BELIEVE YOU ARE NOT A TRUE BELIEVER OF CHRIST AND NOT HOLY SPIRIT FILLED.

WHEN A TRUE SPIRIT FILLED CHILD OF GOD TEACHES ON SOME REALITY AND ASK QUESTION ON THE SOME MISERIES OF THE SPIRIT OF GOD ONLY TAUGHT BY HOLYSPIRIT YOU WILL KNOW IT.

THE SAME STAND POINT YOU ARE WAS WERE I WAS 6 YEARS AGO BEFORE I REDEDICATED MY LIFE TO CHRIST FULLY AND EXPERIENCE HOLSPIRIT BAPTISM.
Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by 222Martins(m): 3:39pm On Jul 28, 2011
Just passing by.
Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by mbulela: 3:48pm On Jul 28, 2011
This is a most enlightening thread.
Well done to the OP and respondents.
the dry humour of the OP is simply irresistable.
i found the bold comment below very interesting;

i attend redeem church right now and in my local church, we have these “executive, very cushioned and confy chairs” (about five) that only the Pastor, his wife and two or three close pals can seat on! That is what l call segregation, in the house of God!
Let us know, how is it in your own church about this "special seats"?
Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by awuf2008: 3:52pm On Jul 28, 2011
Are they really serving God? Are they different from other Christians? Do tthey always pray before they start preaching?  Do they celebrate christmas or new year? I will not allow them to either preach or enter my house. i have my reservation.
Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by mbulela: 3:53pm On Jul 28, 2011
brainpulse:

@ OP

I DOUBT IF YOU ARE FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT JUST A REGULAR CHURCH GOER AT RCCG.

THE QUESTION YOU ARE ASKING AND THE MIDDLE STAND OF YOUR VIEW I BELIEVE YOU ARE NOT A TRUE BELIEVER OF CHRIST AND NOT HOLY SPIRIT FILLED.

WHEN A TRUE SPIRIT FILLED CHILD OF GOD TEACHES ON SOME REALITY AND ASK QUESTION ON THE SOME MISERIES OF THE SPIRIT OF GOD ONLY TAUGHT BY HOLYSPIRIT YOU WILL KNOW IT.

THE SAME STAND POINT YOU ARE WAS WERE I WAS 6 YEARS AGO BEFORE I REDEDICATED MY LIFE TO CHRIST FULLY AND EXPERIENCE HOLSPIRIT BAPTISM.
so you now have a list of those who are spirit filled in your back pocket?
you have gone through that list and confirmed that the OP is not on it?
Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by dustydee: 4:01pm On Jul 28, 2011
@lastpage
this is interesting. Big up to you. I am a christian and believe in the bible but not entirely in the entire doctrine of my church. That is what Christianity should be all about: not being spoon fed but studying to know your right from your left.
Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by mbulela: 4:07pm On Jul 28, 2011
awuf2008:

Are they really serving God? Are they different from other Christians? Do tthey always pray before they start preaching?  Do they celebrate christmas or new year? I will not allow them to either preach or enter my house. i have my reservation.
is that the criteria for Christianity?
Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by saafudma: 4:10pm On Jul 28, 2011
In fairness, i appreciate all comments and i observed some level of decorum.
I got more insight and information.
Pls keep it up

I look forward to a more seriously packaged discussions on any issue(s)
Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by mbulela: 4:13pm On Jul 28, 2011
brainpulse:

@ OP

LET ME ASK YOU SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT THERE BELIEVE?

1. WHY DONT THEY PREACH JESUS CHRIST WHY KINGDOM? MAT 28: 18, ACT 5 :42
2. WHY DONT THEY PREACH SALVATION KNOWING FULLY WELL THAT THE FULCRUM OF TALKING TO PEOPLE LIES ON SALVATION-MARK 16:15
3. APART FROM THE BIBLE HOW MANY MISERIES OF GOD, CHRIST, AND HOLY SPIRIT DO YOU KNOW?
4. WHY DRUNK WITH WINE INSTEAD OF BEING DRUNK WITH THE HOLYSPIRIT. EPH 5 :18, TITUS 1:7. 1 TIM 3:3
5. WHY NOT START WHEN THEY PRAY WITH THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST KNOWING FULLY WELL THAT THE BIBLE SAYS , THAT HE (GOD) HAS GIVEN US A NAME MORE THAN EVERY OTHER NAME. AND THAT HE HAS EXALTED IN MORE THAN, MAT 28:18.

who said they advocate drunkeness?
Is the name of Jesus exalted above the name of God the father?
Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jul 28, 2011
now lastpage
What Do You Know About Jehovah’s Witnesses?
“I read a lot about Jehovah’s Witnesses on the Internet, I heard some rumors, and I listened to a great deal of prejudiced talk,” wrote a trainee reporter in Denmark. “As a result, I formed a very negative view of Jehovah’s Witnesses”

THAT reporter then interviewed a family who are Witnesses. The result? “My view of them changed from the moment I entered their home!” she wrote. “Maybe people don’t know them well enough, or maybe we are all simply too quick to judge. I know I was. And I found out I was wrong.”—Cecilie Feyling, for Jydske Vestkysten.

On the basis of his dealings with Jehovah’s Witnesses on a professional level, a human resources consultant for a chain store in Europe found them to be honest workers. As a result, he sought to hire Witnesses.

Of course, Jehovah’s Witnesses are primarily known for their public ministry. They find that some people prefer not to discuss the Bible, while others enjoy a discussion. In fact, more than seven million people, in virtually every country, have a regular Bible study with the Witnesses, and some of these students later become Bible teachers themselves. In the United States, for example, a National Council of Churches report notes that of the 25 largest religions, Jehovah’s Witnesses are 1 of only 4 that have shown an increase.

Why are millions of people studying the Bible with the Witnesses? How are these studies conducted? Are students expected to become Witnesses themselves? At the very least, you are entitled to truthful answers. So do not listen to prejudicial hearsay, or rumor, but search for the facts. Says the Bible at Proverbs 14:15: “A simple man believes every word he hears; a clever man understands the need for proof.”—The New English Bible.

May this issue of Awake! help you to understand Jehovah’s Witnesses more fully and accurately. Indeed, the very fact that you are reading this magazine suggests that you have an open and fair mind. So why not do this: As you read the next articles and the accompanying boxes, look up the cited scriptures in your own Bible. Doing so is both wise and, as the Bible says, “noble-minded.”—Acts 17:11.

So I would like to refer you guys to Awake august 2010
Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by brainpulse: 4:22pm On Jul 28, 2011
@ MBULELA.

THANKS FOR THAT QUESTION.

THE BIBLE SAYS BY THE FRUITS OF A TREE YOU KNOW THE TYPE OF TREE.

YOU CAN NOT SEE THE CHILD OF A KING I WILL NOT RECOGNISE HIM. EITHER BY DEFAULT OR ERROR.
1 JOHN 3 : 24- YOU KNOW.

THE SURE WAY YOU CAN RECOGNISE A FAKE PRODUCT FROM ORIGINAL IF YOU OPEN YOUR EYES VERY WELL
Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by pawa4ul: 4:23pm On Jul 28, 2011
@ lastpage:  Notice they dont "repeat the "Amen" at every line of prayer (why? does anyone know why?) but only at the end! Mainstream Christian churches repeat the "Amen" for each line of prayer. Again, why? What does the Bible say about this or what inference can we draw from Biblical accounts?

Yes, I think they are right in this. When I went through the bible, especially in the new testament, the 'Amen' was used in the end of the book after a prayer.
Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by brainpulse: 4:31pm On Jul 28, 2011
THE DOCTRINE DOES NOT TEACH, PREACH CHRIST, HOLY SPIRIT BAPTISM.

IF YOU ARE A GOOD BIBLE SCHOLAR, YOU WILL SEE A LARGE DIFFERENCE AND THE SECRETE OF THERE DOCTRINE IN THESE LAST DAYS.

THE DEVIL SOMETIMES GIVE SOME ILLUSIVE INTERPRETATION OF THE BIBLE TO SIFT MEN AWAY FROM THE DETAIL KNOWLEGDE OF CHRIST. DOCTRINE SEEMLY LIKE THE TRUE MESSAGE BUT NOT OF CHRIST.-2 TIM 3: 5
Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by pady2: 4:32pm On Jul 28, 2011
txn ,ternesy,. one more thing, y are peeps hating on us wender are thousands of churches around the world? the ansa is obvious ,is't it? even jesus said pple will hate us and so we are not surprise. btw, y are topics about the jws making it to the front page up in here lately?the answer is pretty obvious again,abi? go on hate us .if i were some of you here,i'll do findings about the jws before i talk trash.if not going to war to kill fellow humans ,frownin against sex outside, sticking to the teachins of the bible is y you hate on us, o on and hate. someday, someday, y'all know better.
Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by Ojumiii(m): 4:35pm On Jul 28, 2011
Well, i am a Muslim and i don't see anything wrong in J W, what i mean is every denomination has one or two thing  that differentiate it, even from there name and ways of teaching the Gospel.

I sometimes buy their watchtower and awake, because i found them informative that all and i vividly remember when i was growing up, i do follow a friend of mine to Kindom Hall in some few occasion, that is how i got to know them J W

my principle is no matter what u do, has long as it does not go against humanity is OK by me but i will always be a Muslim

@Lastpage: thanks you for your in-dept information it truly help, on nairaland this are the type discussion we should be engaging in, it truly help.

and thank you all.
Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by pady2: 4:52pm On Jul 28, 2011
some have said we are a cult. a cultttttttttt!!!? have you taken time to meet with with ril jws? go to their homes and see how they practice what they learn. go to their kingdom halls and see true xtian love in display. go to their places of work and see how honest they try to be. and you sit der and say der are a cult? pls.by the way, which other religion engages more often in preaching the goodnews abt gods kingdom like jesus instructed? we live by what the scripture says.and that makes us bad, a cult ,abi? even jesus said to road to everlasting life aint gon be easy!
Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by Sike(m): 5:02pm On Jul 28, 2011
One Man's Food Is Another's Poison. Enough Said!
Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by begwong: 5:11pm On Jul 28, 2011
Very insightful! Note,the op grew up in JW but now in RCCG and still in disagreement with some of their(RCCG) doctrines. well,is not how you start,but how you end your sojourn here on earth.Remain blessed everyone.
Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by JahMan1: 5:18pm On Jul 28, 2011
@Last page,
Please help me answer the question below;

Q:Will a JW faithful who believes and practices what they teach qualify to enter into the Kingdom of God, by your own belief of God's standards?

I can pass for a JW because I lived among them and know virtually all of their doctrines and their lines of argument.
Some of them who do not know me that tried arguing ended up either scheduling for a second day to continue the argument (as is their custom) or just becoming my friend.

But at a point I asked myself what really matters.Since my ultimate goal in life is to please God and enter into His kingdom,I should rather use the time for argument to pray for them(since they won't really accept me preaching to them on repentance).

Your thread is really educative and informative(just like their Awake mag) but what ultimate benefit will it bring to your readers,JW and non-JW adherents concerning what to do to inherit the kingdom of God?

Please I will be pleased if you answer the question I asked above.

Cheers!
Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by cocoduck: 6:18pm On Jul 28, 2011
For those that say all good people go to heaven take your bible and read REVELATION 5:9,10 then explain and connect it to other bible verses
Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by swaggerboi2011: 6:20pm On Jul 28, 2011
i love this thread
Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by DualCore1: 7:47pm On Jul 28, 2011
Interesting thread and many questions.
Just to clear a few things
- The JW isn't a cult or a religious sect.

- Blood transfusion is a NO. However science has shown that some parts of the human blood can be used for cure like the platelets and other blood composition. Science has also shown that a salvage system can be used to reduce blood loss in the event of excessive blood loss. . . in this process the blood is taken out of the body through a machine but remains in circulation through the machine back to the body (i'm not a doctor, cant explain it well). Blood volume expanders can also be used. . .
A JW is left to his conscience to choose any of the options above. He declares his choice in a legal document (Durable Power of Attorney) that has to be on his person at all times. The document absolves all doctors of responsibilities taken as a result of the decision of the JW. Inasmuch as a JW will do all he can to save his life, he will not break any of the biblical principles he believes in.

-JWs believe in Jesus christ as God's son. Prayers are said through Jesus name.

-JWs pray. While it may seem odd that they do not pray at every door on the first visit, JWs pray with individuals with whom they study the bible with. JWs don't pray on every house they visit during their door to door witnessing because they are in the preaching work and have prayed as a group before setting out that morning. They also respect prayer and do not choose to pray in noisy places or places where it will attract attention and they do not want to be seen as the hypocrites in the bible times who drew undue attention to themselves by praying in the public places. To illustrate: A farmer sets out to plant maize. . . will it not be more logical for the farmer to say a prayer before starting than for him to say one prayer per seed planted?

-The songs composed by JWs are nice and reassuring. New ones have been released and you can download them at www.JW.org. You can also download Watchtower and Awake! publications at that site.

My fingers are aching me. . . I cant remember ever typing this much on a non-tech matter.
Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by lond07: 8:08pm On Jul 28, 2011
@ lastpage: Notice they dont "repeat the "Amen" at every line of prayer (why? does anyone know why?) but only at the end! Mainstream Christian churches repeat the "Amen" for each line of prayer. Again, why? What does the Bible say about this or what inference can we draw from Biblical accounts?

Yes, I think they are right in this. When I went through the bible, especially in the new testament, the 'Amen' was used in the end of the book after a prayer.

Consider Ephesians 3:14 - 20, Hebrews 13:20, and reply with how many AMEN is said there pls
Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jul 28, 2011
Quote 1John 5:7 and the witness run away. The real version that is.
Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by Nobody: 8:22pm On Jul 28, 2011
NIV is an anti-Christ and an anti-bible. Be careful what bible you read.
Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by lond07: 8:30pm On Jul 28, 2011
divine2043

Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them!
« #59 on: Today at 08:15:54 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote 1John 5:7 and the witness run away. The real version that is.

grin grin grin grin grin i dey laugh OOOOOHHHHHH.

funnY INDEED.

No JW will runaway on any question though.

Please, do research on 1John 5:7 in/ouside the Bible & come up with your findings before you begin to talk. SO talk with references/quotations to substantiate your points.
Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by lordmi(m): 8:33pm On Jul 28, 2011
Just did some background reading about JW and found this article informative

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/witnesses/
Re: Who Are These Jehovah's Witnesses? Misconceptions, Likes & Dislikes About Them! by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jul 28, 2011
I"m Anglican and i kind of like JWs.

I love their zeal and committments, you actually see real christianity in their ways.
I love their[i]Awake[/i], very enlightening.

However, i have issues with:

Blood transfusion.
The 144,000 theory.
Not celebrating events, not singing the anthem.
Their general claim to being the real christians.

By and large, i have nothing against them.
They are far better than most pentecostal and orthodox hypocrites.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

More Facts Emerge On Kumuyi’s Remarriage / The Most Committed Atheists Were Once Chtistians (opinion?) / The Secret Of Fruitfulness. Sermon And Prayer Points By Pastor E A Adeboye. RCCG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.