Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,839 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:53 PM

Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy (29638 Views)

FG Owes NNPC ₦‎2.8 Trillion Spent On Petrol Subsidy - Mele Kyari / Peter Obi Speaks On PDP-APC Clash At Dei-Dei Market / Peter Obi Speaks On His Houses In London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Igbojew: 3:33pm On Jul 06, 2022
FalseProphet1:
Honestly, those against Peter Obi just hate him because of his tribe and religion. This man is the only presidential candidate that has offered raw facts on how to tackle the problems facing the economy.

Others are just attacking him and trying to tell Nigerians why he shouldn't rule, some are saying it's not time for him yet. But none of them either Tinubu or Atiku has openly come out to say this his how I'm going to solve this problem.

I would want to encourage Nigerians to drop religion and tribalism and vote for this man, cos if you make a wrong choice next year it would be till 2031 before the opportunity of correcting it would present itself, by then fuel would be almost 5k per liter, and standard of living would be 10x worse than how it is currently.

Let's vote wisely. Let's vote Peter Obi.

This I have seen
Seriously reading hate speeches from same youths Buhari under APC made their life miserable still want to vote Tinubu who was the one that enthroned Buhari and now want to be compaseted because of that I feel sorry for those youths because it's obvious they are driving by hatred they have against Igbos and in extension Peter Obi but any youths that made such selfish mistake we are still suffering for it now on Buhari APC government by voting Atiku or Tinubu will die miserable death.......I am that Igbojew the table shaker
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by SocialJustice: 3:33pm On Jul 06, 2022
kponkedenge:

You'd be surprised that if a competent administration enters, you'd find out that this figures they are claiming here isn't even as close to what we are actually spending on the subsidy itself.

I keep saying that EFCC isn't doing enough to curb the out-of-control corruption going on in this Buhari's administration.

If we are lucky enough to have another party aside APC win the 2023 elections, the level of corruption that will be uncovered in this administration will be jaw dropping.
Nigeria does not consume 40 million litres daily. It is a fraud that happens at the NNPC. When consumption was 30 million litres, a senior NNPC official boasted that it will be artificially inflated to 50 million.

I believe they are stealing 60-80% of subsidy money. Remember how Captain Hosa Okunbors company was transporting petroleum products on paper but the ship was not making the deliveries.

A lot of rot will be uncovered.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by seyimailbox: 3:35pm On Jul 06, 2022
Peter Obi is just an opportunist but what makes him worst is that he is pretending he is not. He has no solution other than the clue that his antecedents as a former governor gives. I hope when the election comes, all his supporters noise will be enough to give him a third place in the race. I am afraid it could be worse.

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by ddestiny20(m): 3:35pm On Jul 06, 2022
Cost of governance is what I really want him to tackle.

Brightreporter:
Peter Obi, presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP), says he would remove the costly petrol subsidy if there is an alternative.
Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8kBkhx7Ra8

https://www.thecable.ng/i-would-offer-an-equivalent-peter-obi-speaks-on-how-to-tackle-petrol-subsidy/amp
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by onegig(m): 3:36pm On Jul 06, 2022
SIRTee15:
Peter Obi said nothing.
Every govt in power knows subsidy has to go but are they ready for the consequence?
revolt and possible violent protest from the masses, uncontrolled inflation and rising cost of living is the inevitable outcome. Is Peter Obi ready for Nigerians to buy fuel at N800 per litre. That's the issue, not telling us what u will do with the subsidy money. Obasanjo, Jonathan and Buhari govt already sold that to Nigerians but didnt work.
Those ARISE presenters were too soft on him. They should have asked him if it makes sense to remove subsidy at a time the world is grappling with global inflation and rising energy cost.

All Nigerians politicians are lazy and lack critical thinking. Always looking for the easier way out. Peter Obi is no exception.
The permanent solution to fuel subsidy is to have domestic refining capacity that can cater to the energy needs of Nigerians. simple. That was the answer I expected from Peter Obi and then tell us how his govt will build the refining capacity.

He kept ranting about cuting cost while Gov of Anambra and ran the state on shoe-string budget. If that's what he wants to attempt at abuja as President, then he's a clown. Ordinary NNPC will frustrate him, bring foreign auditors with forensic auditing, nothing will come out of it.

Most Nigerian governors run their states like personal estates. Some comissioners cant even approve simple pencils in their office without the gov approval, that cannot be extrapolated to Abuja.
Nigeria is too big and complex for a top to bottom admistrative system. restructure the country and let the system be micro-managed from the regions. That's the only sensible way out.

Don't let his obedient followers catch you.

As usual people vying for office thinking they would just go there and talk something and everyone would start following such rules. No radical policies, no foresight as regards the realities of governance. They think governance is done in Silos. I can assure you the first 1 year of an Obi's government might be spent striking.

Nigerians are bunch of gullible people.

They keep falling for same scam. They think piety comes from living a frugal life and that qualifies someone for the highest office. Yeah we have a big issue with big government and
wasteful spending but that's like 2% of the issues bedeviling the country.

The major issue of the country is that we don't pay the real cost of almost everything and expect excellent service delivery. A whole house pays about N500 in a month for lawma fees and expect excellent service delivery and at such ridiculously low fees a lot still won't pay such fees.

We pay 45Naira per kwh and expect 247 power delivery without looking at the associated cost of generating power and transmission. But same people would power their house using generator and spend an average of 2000 per day on fuel cost or (N60,000/month) with all the generator noise and fumes and stress of maintenance. Let Nepa deliver a bill of 20k per month after average of 8 hours per day to the same set of people and you would see them shouting themselves hoarse about how NEPA are theives and whatnot.

No where in the wolrd would you expect to pay $100 per session in University fees and expect quality education and here our Messiah is stating he would divert subsidy money from one form of welfarism to another.

They live in an eldorado and would never face the reality of things.

In 2011 It was I had no shoes and trekked 20km to school.

In 2015, It was he had only a single account with a bank. Didn't have money for forms and owned only a single house in Duara.

In 2023. It is my son does not have a car. I saved money. I join Economy class when flying and carry my bag alone.

They would be alright. Instead of asking critical questions as regards how these critical issues facing us can be solved, nah they hear some soundbites here and there and believe that magically solves all the issues.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Babatunde7109(m): 3:36pm On Jul 06, 2022
Brendaniel:

You guys just come out with hatred to discredit someone without listening to what someone is saying, he said he will not remove subsidy without making an alternative for subsidy removal.

Don't destroy an old bridge till a new one is complete for use....

If by now the said ‘alternative’ isn’t known, then I’m not buying it.

If one could be thorough with all those figures, it shouldn’t be that hard to figure out solution to the identified problem.

To the economists, all he actually said about this subsidy issue would be described as jargons, and ‘unrealistic’.

For eni to kan, we don’t want our soldiers to eat corns; we don’t want to be ruled from Dubai; and, also, we don’t want someone who seems to be quite aware of our problems but has no clue on how to solve them.

We need/want someone who knows the solutions as much as the problems. We need/want someone who WILL NOT be afraid to cause positive changes. We need someone whose interest will be collective and not personal.

Where in the Nigerian politics can we find such a person?
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by casualobserver: 3:37pm On Jul 06, 2022
E
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Everlastingson: 3:39pm On Jul 06, 2022
Officialgarri:

No matter how hurting it is for the nation's wealth, fuel subsidy is one of the few ways that the government is directly giving back to the people.

I still don't know how we were cajoled to protest against fuel subsidy in 2012 (perhaps except for the looting)

What do I mean? Take a look at the price of our deregulated diesel flying high at #810, 850 and above and see the harsh effect on food prices and cost of long journeys.

If Peter Obi has an alternative to fuel subsidy that the world doesn't know of, he should hint us. It would be disappointing to ride to victory using lies

Keep quiet! Which lies did he tell? So you want him to say everything? He said he'd remove subsidy with an alternative and you ask what the alternative is? I'm sure someone like you will prefer a man who will tell you what you want to hear but will do none. If you want the full details that means he has to write a book for you.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by casualobserver: 3:39pm On Jul 06, 2022
Cognitivereason:

grin grin u clearly do not know why our local refineries failed in the first place

are our dead refineries not state owned?

besides is english ur problem

look ..weather you want local government to own refineries
as far as they are not going to make profit or deregulated ..then they will still need subsidies to keep going .

. You are now making a fool of yourself. I suggest you quit!
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Tareq1105: 3:40pm On Jul 06, 2022
Igbojew:
Boy because of hatred you have against Peter Obi you mischievously skip the part where he repeatedly said that he will not remove subsidy till he have alternative of what will make him to remove it which is what a reasonable government or president should do........I am that Igbojew the table shaker

But he failed to tell us the alternative. That's the deceits we're talking about. Na Ibo sense, he doesn't have the solution. Just driving around the questions to avoid committing economic error and being criticized bcoz he doesn't believe in what he's saying. He's just talking with his cricket voice that doesn't even scare a Clerical Assistant in the office.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by LoveThemChubby(m): 3:41pm On Jul 06, 2022
Something is a scam but you have to study and look at it critically? On what basis did you come to the conclusion that it is a scam? I just Know won't be Buhari promax o! Less than 11months to handover/takeover and you don't don't know what to do? On what basis are you campaigning and declaring the incumbent incompetent?
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by zzxxbbaa: 3:41pm On Jul 06, 2022
My only advice to everyone and a lot of the light headed and extreme dunces roaming nairaland and nigeria at large is please vote wisely. Listen to the aspirants, the best person for a job is one you can engage in conversation, there's always room for correction. I am not promoting any candidate but if you are supporting someone who is thinking of who he needs to bribe, play internal party politics, fight, discredit and more from sitting in his bedroom, just know, when they get into power, it's still the same way they got in that they'd use to govern you, this time, from the other room, don't let your vote go to waste, 8 years backward from today is beyond suicide, its clear cut massacre. My 2 cents
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by andy244: 3:43pm On Jul 06, 2022
Officialgarri:

No matter how hurting it is for the nation's wealth, fuel subsidy is one of the few ways that the government is directly giving back to the people.

I still don't know how we were cajoled to protest against fuel subsidy in 2012 (perhaps except for the looting)

What do I mean? Take a look at the price of our deregulated diesel flying high at #810, 850 and above and see the harsh effect on food prices and cost of long journeys.

If Peter Obi has an alternative to fuel subsidy that the world doesn't know of, he should hint us. It would be disappointing to ride to victory using lies
you don't get it. The subsidy payments are over inflated. Buld a refinery and that solves the problem.
Google the cost of building new refineries that will make u marvel. cos the billions of dollars spent on subsidy would build one per state
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by beardedboy(m): 3:43pm On Jul 06, 2022
AFRICANJAMAICA:

If I reply you,it will look like an insult ..pls don't mention me again

AFRICANJAMAICA:
All Muslim are terrorists by default.

But the most stupid of them all is Yoruba Muslims,whom out of there wickedness sold us the failure of a president..

As if is not enough,they have now packaged an old diminished old man for Nigerians, telling us that he is the best thing that happened after sliced bread...

The man whom only agenda is to feed them garri and yam
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Everlastingson: 3:43pm On Jul 06, 2022
VoteTinubu2023:
What's the equivalent he will offer?

Removal of subsidy has to be done but the masses will surely revolt. It's a devil and the blue sea situation.

Vote Tinubu 2023. Vote APC.

You want him to say everything so that you steal his program and use it in your campaigns. Even if he says the alternative now you will still hate him.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Everlastingson: 3:47pm On Jul 06, 2022
fyneguy:
Lol

This guy sensationalizes everything.

He does not address issues to a logical end.

He just reels out stats to impress listeners without offering a reasonable solution.

Subsidy is a delicate national issue. Until we have local production capacity, its removal will hurt this weak economy.

Dangote refinery should come on board. FG should strike a contract refining deal with him. He can also be paid for refining with crude oil. That will tremendously reduce pressure on forex and freight costs. It will boost Naira value, as over 50% of our forex goes to oil importation.

That is the only way subsidy can be addressed.

Peter Obi is just a noisemaker

What has your " noiseless " APC achieved in 8 years other than pain and misery for Nigerians? Stop hate, it is not healthy for you.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Blaine756(m): 3:48pm On Jul 06, 2022
VoteTinubu2023:
What's the equivalent he will offer?

Removal of subsidy has to be done but the masses will surely revolt. It's a devil and the blue sea situation.

Vote Tinubu 2023. Vote APC.

Same APC and TINUBU that put is in this mess, by nailing Jonathan to cross when he wanted to remove the subsidy then.

It shall not be well with APC, government of lies
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Everlastingson: 3:49pm On Jul 06, 2022
EgusiShankly:
An idealist can do nothing for our complex situations.
We need a pragmatic leader

A pragmatic leader like who?
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by zzxxbbaa: 3:49pm On Jul 06, 2022
One more thing, before you start criticising aspirants, hear what they have to say, don't read headlines and start talking like fools. Most of you can't spend 5 minutes watching an interview of the aspirants, but can scroll through instagram watching yansh all day, bloody idiots, how many here have watched the full interviews done by Peter obi to start with, this said topic under scrutiny was well addressed by him, but many chose to pick a word out of a sentence and start ranting like diks, grow the fuvk up, the earlier the better, its not about your future alone, it's about your siblings, friends, family, and the life you want for them.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by zykem1(m): 3:55pm On Jul 06, 2022
I wonder if this fuel subsidy removal doesn't finish?

Right from the time of obasanjo to this current tenure, there has being subsidy removal, in exception of yaradua who did subsidy reversal, yet the economy was fair during his brief tenure.

Obi too is anticipating subsidy removal for campaign.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by FrB231(m): 3:55pm On Jul 06, 2022
fyneguy:
Lol

This guy sensationalizes everything.

He does not address issues to a logical end.

He just reels out stats to impress listeners without offering a reasonable solution.

Subsidy is a delicate national issue. Until we have local production capacity, its removal will hurt this weak economy.

Dangote refinery should come on board. FG should strike a contract refining deal with him. He can also be paid for refining with crude oil. That will tremendously reduce pressure on forex and freight costs. It will boost Naira value, as over 50% of our forex goes to oil importation.

That is the only way subsidy can be addressed.

Peter Obi is just a noisemaker
I don’t understand you honestly,you are here clamoring for Dangote Refinery to start working please do you know how many Modular Refineries we have in Nigerian that is not working ? You hoping for Dangote Refinery to start working is that not the monopoly we are complaining about with less or no competition? is Dangote Refinery the solution or our Refineries should be working knowing fully well that money supposedly spent in maintaining our Refineries over the years is enough to build Refineries?...I don’t just understand some people please no offense intended�
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by zionstaar75: 4:00pm On Jul 06, 2022
Freebills12:
[color=#770077][/color]

Are you not stupid? He doesn't own private jet and most times I do use economy ticket... How do you expect him not to use it. You people are becoming stupid, you singled out a clause and neglect others.
I won't insult u ,I don't know how to.the guy said he doesn't fly private jets,at least Google it to find out if he said so before attacking me.someone must be paying u,Peter obi supporters don't insult people. Please who is paying u to insult people? Lol
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Everlastingson: 4:00pm On Jul 06, 2022
Subsidywise20:
I watched the interview...the guy basically said he would wait till there is an 'alternative'

The truth of the matter is, there is no alternative. SUBSIDY HAS TO GO. It is eating up our economy badly. SUBSIDY HAS TO GO. We cannot be making it unprofitable to refine petrol at home, and be dashing big man in NNPC billions of naira, for nothing. We cannot lose billions to smuggling of fuel abroad.

SUBSIDY MUST GO. Simple and short.

When your refineries start functioning then subsidy can go.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by shortIGBOman: 4:01pm On Jul 06, 2022
DMerciful:
Speak for yourself, you only have one vote

That's what you thought. But the North is the King makers. They decide who rule this Country.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by FrB231(m): 4:02pm On Jul 06, 2022
IgOga:
For a nation that has crude oil in abundance.....build more refineries, invite investment in refineries, encourage state governments especially oil producing states to build their own refineries and the issue of subsidy will die a natural death.
God bless you,you just said it all because this is just what we need to end fuel subsidy once and for all�
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by kingyakos: 4:02pm On Jul 06, 2022
The only Presidential candidate talking sense.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by obinto: 4:02pm On Jul 06, 2022
shortIGBOman:
Even if Peter ObiTUARY promised to give us free fuel, food and everything. We still won't vote him.

Make una rest
There is no free food for the lazy. Peter no dey give ShiShi. Na Tinubu dey give free Agbado. Make u go collect your own and leave PO alone
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by shortIGBOman: 4:03pm On Jul 06, 2022
depremore:

You can't be an igboman cause Igbo people are not this senseless

Yes they are. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Paullo19: 4:03pm On Jul 06, 2022
casualobserver:
But as usual he never answered the question
U don't know how to read ND understand..that's your problem
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by shortIGBOman: 4:04pm On Jul 06, 2022
Collinsaik:
I Pity your mother. see wetin she born as pikin. where she no even get pikin patapata beta pass

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by OldSkoolHeadBoy: 4:05pm On Jul 06, 2022
This fool is always speaking from both sides of his mouth. The other day he said providing infrastructure is not the way to grow the economy but today, he is saying he wants to use the money meant for subsidy to provide electricity.

Brightreporter:
Peter Obi, presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP), says he would remove the costly petrol subsidy if there is an alternative.
Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8kBkhx7Ra8

https://www.thecable.ng/i-would-offer-an-equivalent-peter-obi-speaks-on-how-to-tackle-petrol-subsidy/amp
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by shortIGBOman: 4:06pm On Jul 06, 2022
Chijeep:

You're expecting him to promise #50/ltr as ur messiah Buhari did but you're saddened that he spoke just as someone who's not in power yet

Emeka rest, IGBO Man can never rule this Country.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

President GEJ Visit To Alaafin's Palace In Oyo Today / Makinde Orders Contractor Handling Over N65billion Ibadan Circular Road To Stop / FG Orders Withdrawal Of Diplomatic Passports From Senators And HOR Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.