Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,579 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:48 PM

Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy (29620 Views)

FG Owes NNPC ₦‎2.8 Trillion Spent On Petrol Subsidy - Mele Kyari / Peter Obi Speaks On PDP-APC Clash At Dei-Dei Market / Peter Obi Speaks On His Houses In London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by fyneguy: 6:50pm On Jul 06, 2022
PHIPEX:
When did the govt realise that the Dangote option is the best, after or before campaigning to build 1 refinery per year? There is no conspiracy anywhere, after all NNPC still pours billions into TA of the moribund refineries in PH and Kaduna

Let's face reality. We are better off, producing fuel through privately run refineries. Public entities are inefficient and corruption conduits.

Government will only keep minimal equities in such firms.

Because of our huge energy requirements, Dangote refinery capacity is good. He is going to be the scape-goat, before other investors decisively take a plunge.

The long term plan to have a proper petrochemical industry. That's when we will maximize the benefits of the oil sector. We cannot continue to sell crude oil. We need to develop our "Process Industry", to create business and job opportunities.

You can see that subsidy is just one of the issues.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by fyneguy: 6:55pm On Jul 06, 2022
Cognitivereason:

rest..u seem to be a bigger joker too

who told you local refineries will stop subsidies or make it convenient to stop subsidies,...

you clearly do not understand how it works

the same money diverted to foreign refineries for petroleum product is what we will divert to dangote when he begins production in order for him to sell at N165.. no local refinery will last 2 hours selling PMS at N165

everyday is an opportunity to remove subsidies ..we do not need to wait for local refineries to spring up

No sir.

We will supply Dangote the crude oil to refine for us. He will only charge refining fee. We have the oil here.

We suffer from oil importation because we are exposed to oil price variations and international logistic costs, which fritter our forex away.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Chijeep(m): 7:15pm On Jul 06, 2022
fyneguy:

No.

I expected him to have researched fuel subsidy issue and provided a clear way forward. He has no solution for it.
See your life...
So you are among people who will want to employ graduates and still ask for 5years experience. So which researches were all our past leaders made before they got to office?
Abi your Tinubu and Atiku don do there own research?
IF YOU WANT TO HATE SOMEONE DO IT AS A CHOICE NOT LOOKING FOR NONSENSE TO PAINT THE PERSON WITH
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by obailala(m): 7:36pm On Jul 06, 2022
Officialgarri:

No matter how hurting it is for the nation's wealth, fuel subsidy is one of the few ways that the government is directly giving back to the people.

I still don't know how we were cajoled to protest against fuel subsidy in 2012 (perhaps except for the looting)

What do I mean? Take a look at the price of our deregulated diesel flying high at #810, 850 and above and see the harsh effect on food prices and cost of long journeys.

If Peter Obi has an alternative to fuel subsidy that the world doesn't know of, he should hint us. It would be disappointing to ride to victory using lies
With the right knowledge, skills, experience and wisdom, a president with the political will can bypass the useless administrative bureaucracies which bof down projects in Nigeria and build a brand new refinery in under 4 years. In addition, the existing refineres can also be revamped in under a year to at least supply up to 30% of Nigeria's fuel demand.

If Nigeria can cut it's petroleum products' import by half, the Naira will be strengthened beyond measure, and this can result in a drop in pump prices. So yeah, with a serious and competent president, fuel subsidy can be removed without Nigerians having to pay through their noses. At N162 per litre of petrol, the only reason we still pay subsidy is cos of the deplorable exchange rate.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Jibrinpapa: 7:40pm On Jul 06, 2022
Vote for obi and have one bottle of beer.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by 2elliot: 7:40pm On Jul 06, 2022
zionstaar75:
see your man,he said he doesn't fly private jet. Wetin be this
Does that look like a private jet to you? That is Air Peace plane. BAT supporters dey see and reason upside down.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Samuelnze(m): 7:41pm On Jul 06, 2022
fyneguy:

Lol this is crap.

We should just assume he has the solution?

Are you guys serious at all?

He has no solution! He just wants to replace fuel subsidy with others to reduce the effect.

It won't work
He will surely figure a way out of it,he has done something great before,he's gonna do it again.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by dele1727: 7:47pm On Jul 06, 2022
equity1:
was he member of pop when pop was in power?

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/10/ex-anambra-gov-obi-decamps-pdp/...

So when he did he join the PDP?
How did he get security exchange commission job?

This unnecessary hero worshipping of candidate will lead us to another Buhari...

If we can't ask questions from your candidate now
Is it when they are elected president..when we don't have access to them again..
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by ebufa: 7:51pm On Jul 06, 2022
Officialgarri:

No matter how hurting it is for the nation's wealth, fuel subsidy is one of the few ways that the government is directly giving back to the people.

I still don't know how we were cajoled to protest against fuel subsidy in 2012 (perhaps except for the looting)

What do I mean? Take a look at the price of our deregulated diesel flying high at #810, 850 and above and see the harsh effect on food prices and cost of long journeys.

If Peter Obi has an alternative to fuel subsidy that the world doesn't know of, he should hint us. It would be disappointing to ride to victory using lies

The man detailed what he is going to do with the subsidy!........are you deaf and blind? no wonder you people casually elected and re-elected that disaster in Aso rock!
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by fyneguy: 7:53pm On Jul 06, 2022
shantti:

And what is tinubus solution. We would like to hear it

Exactly what he asked Dangote to do.

A privately run, huge capacity refinery, with NNPC as a stakeholder. NNPC allocates say 400k bpd for contract refining to Dangote. It also gives Dangote some crude to pay for the cost, collects products and sell to Nigerians at affordable but profitable prices.

It eliminates subsidy, saves forex used to import, thereby boosting Naira value.

As we use savings to build infrastructure in power, road, and manufacturing, with time, deregulation will not hurt our economy.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by fyneguy: 8:11pm On Jul 06, 2022
Cognitivereason:

the only savings from buying from local refineries is forex...it ends there

government will still subsidize dangote directly on indirectly

tell me the difference between paying dangote 3 trillion naira yearly in cash to keep PMS at N165
and giving dangote N3 trillion worth of crude oil

please I await the difference

do you know NNPC doesnt pay for subsidies entirely in cash ..they sometimes do something called oil swap..
where crude worth billions are given to foreign refineries in exchange for reduced price on PMS to over all N165 per litre..does it change the fact that subsidies are still paid?

think naa

contract local refining is the best model.

The cost of hauling fuel from Europe to Lagos is huge and forex-intensive. We will make savings on that too.

We will pay Dangote a paltry cost to refine the crude and it will still be profitable at a retail price of N200 max.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Paullo19: 8:52pm On Jul 06, 2022
casualobserver:

You dont think a serious candidate should by now know if there is an alternative or have a plan by now for an alternative...7 months to the election? ..no? or he going to travel to Saudi to learn that one?

be under no illusion the economic fortunes of Nigeria are hinged on subsidy removal, we are currently spending the equivalent of 5 Lagos to ibadan rail projects every year on subsidy! Subsidy is consumption while the productive sectors of our economy use diesel where there is no subsidy!! So dont let anyone fool you, no subsidy removal, no infrastructure, no investment in education , no economic growth. So any presidential candidate who doesnt have a plan by now on subsidy, security (state police) and restructuring is not serious.
Ur serious candidate in the name of Atiku or tinubu what have they said...where was Atiku for the past years?now it's election he's back..ur so called tinubu is still in France for his meeting... lol
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Charly68: 9:07pm On Jul 06, 2022
We need you to handle the mess the APC has created for us
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by zionstaar75: 9:34pm On Jul 06, 2022
2elliot:
Does that look like a private jet to you? That is Air Peace plane. BAT supporters dey see and reason upside down.
kai!believe me you've never entered plane before?,it will be a waste of time arguing with u.no wonder!men am rolling on the floor with laughter. U have just disgraced your ancestors!!!looool
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by zionstaar75: 9:40pm On Jul 06, 2022
obailala:

With the right knowledge, skills, experience and wisdom, a president with the political will can bypass the useless administrative bureaucracies which bof down projects in Nigeria and build a brand new refinery in under 4 years. In addition, the existing refineres can also be revamped in under a year to at least supply up to 30% of Nigeria's fuel demand.

If Nigeria can cut it's petroleum products' import by half, the Naira will be strengthened beyond measure, and this can result in a drop in pump prices. So yeah, with a serious and competent president, fuel subsidy can be removed without Nigerians having to pay through their noses. At N162 per litre of petrol, the only reason we still pay subsidy is cos of the deplorable exchange rate.
because we are in a military regime abi?how many senators does labour party have or candidates that will ease the passage of his bills in the house?u guys are just being emotional,the minimum time it can take obi to win presidency(if he ever will is 4years)I laugh at the hopelessness of this myopic aspiration,my own is if anyone speaks about Biafra after election. They should be executed straight!

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by obailala(m): 9:43pm On Jul 06, 2022
zionstaar75:
because we are in a military regime abi?how many senators does labour party have or candidates that will ease the passage of his bills in the house?u guys are just being emotional,the minimum time it can take obi to win presidency(if he ever will is 4years)I laugh at the hopelessness of this myopic aspiration,my own is if anyone speaks about Biafra after election. They should be executed straight!
Oga, not everything a president does requires a 'bill'. Continue to let useless incompetent leaders deceive you with excuses that the NASS is the reason they arent performing.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Shascky33: 9:52pm On Jul 06, 2022
1.Remove subsidy on pms, improve the railway services to get trailers off the road.
2. Subsidize diezel to help cut production cost for industries.
3. Improve power on the long run b4 completly removing subsidy of diezel.
4. Transportation allowances should be paid to civil servants.
It will be a long road but if properly implemented, will surely pay.

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by SKIBiNSKI(m): 10:31pm On Jul 06, 2022
fyneguy:
Lol

This guy sensationalizes everything.

He does not address issues to a logical end.

He just reels out stats to impress listeners without offering a reasonable solution.

Subsidy is a delicate national issue. Until we have local production capacity, its removal will hurt this weak economy.

Dangote refinery should come on board. FG should strike a contract refining deal with him. He can also be paid for refining with crude oil. That will tremendously reduce pressure on forex and freight costs. It will boost Naira value, as over 50% of our forex goes to oil importation.

That is the only way subsidy can be addressed.

Peter Obi is just a noisemaker
You obviously didn't read the article or coudn't comprehend.. this is how people like you jump into ridiculous conclusions.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by SKIBiNSKI(m): 10:31pm On Jul 06, 2022
Brendaniel:

You guys just come out with hatred to discredit someone without listening to what someone is saying, he said he will not remove subsidy without making an alternative for subsidy removal.

Don't destroy an old bridge till a new one is complete for use....
Don't mind the ignoramus.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by 2elliot: 10:41pm On Jul 06, 2022
zionstaar75:
kai!believe me you've never entered plane before?,it will be a waste of time arguing with u.no wonder!men am rolling on the floor with laughter. U have just disgraced your ancestors!!!looool
That is airpeace plane, and not Obi's private jet. Don't be a retard.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Bravospiff: 11:04pm On Jul 06, 2022
[quote author=fyneguy post=114476139]Lol

He just reels out stats to impress listeners without offering a reasonable solution.

Subsidy is a delicate national issue. Until we have local production capacity, its removal will hurt this weak economy.

Dangote refinery should come on board. FG should strike a contract refining deal with him. He can also be paid for refining with crude oil. That will tremendously reduce pressure on forex and freight costs. It will boost Naira value, as over 50% of our forex goes to oil importation.

Just listen to yourself...
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by goodheart02(m): 11:12pm On Jul 06, 2022
shortIGBOman:
Even if Peter ObiTUARY promised to give us free fuel, food and everything. We still won't vote him.

Make una rest

because you’re bound to suffering
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Kingspin(m): 11:18pm On Jul 06, 2022
Officialgarri:

We need to study the matter called Fuel subsidy before arriving on what to do about it.

Or are you aware of the inside report? We only hear about it, but nobody is talking about it convincingly.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by rant19ade: 11:26pm On Jul 06, 2022
And why he have to sell at int market rate, when he's refining it locally?
The factors of production are all within the country, so why will the price be subject to int price regimen?
P.S is that what Russia and Saudi also doing?

Cognitivereason:

the bolded is not true..

dangote can service nigeria and Cameroon fuel needs once it starts running but he can never sell PMS for even N300 per litre

he will sell at the international rate which is atleast N400 meaning we need to subsidize dangote and any other local refinery coming onboard
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Omodua(m): 1:05am On Jul 07, 2022
fyneguy:
Lol

And what's your solution if Peter Obi is a noisemaker? It's sad many of you have been bought over by decadent political moguls.
Selling your birthright and freedom because of crumbs from master's table.
Cheap slave!
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by kaey10(m): 5:05am On Jul 07, 2022
SocialJustice:
Nigeria does not consume 40 million litres daily. It is a fraud that happens at the NNPC. When consumption was 30 million litres, a senior NNPC official boasted that it will be artificially inflated to 50 million.

I believe they are stealing 60-80% of subsidy money. Remember how Captain Hosa Okunbors company was transporting petroleum products on paper but the ship was not making the deliveries.

A lot of rot will be uncovered.
Hmm I think I saw something like this in the news last week. Senate invited those in charge to come and explain how the daily consumption of fuel is 40mill litres but them no come
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by SocialJustice: 7:09am On Jul 07, 2022
kaey10:

Hmm I think I saw something like this in the news last week. Senate invited those in charge to come and explain how the daily consumption of fuel is 40mill litres but them no come
When senate invites a person in such matter, they are actually asking for their share.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by zionstaar75: 7:49am On Jul 07, 2022
2elliot:
That is airpeace plane, and not Obi's private jet. Don't be a retard.
so u don't know every airline has jets?did I say its Obi's own?and you're calling someone a slow poke?very funny how an ignoramus will look to insult someone more knowledgeable than him.if you've ever travelled by air you'll know jet is different from airplanes. Why am I even bothering with you,a man that doesn't know they hire jets.abeg village u dey for southeast? Lol
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Maxpro121: 8:14am On Jul 07, 2022
kozmokaz:

Peter is visionary
He is relatively better
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by 2elliot: 8:24am On Jul 07, 2022
zionstaar75:
so u don't know every airline has jets?did I say its Obi's own?and you're calling someone a slow poke?very funny how an ignoramus will look to insult someone more knowledgeable than him.if you've ever travelled by air you'll know jet is different from airplanes. Why am I even bothering with you,a man that doesn't know they hire jets.abeg village u dey for southeast? Lol
Which part of my comment is proving hard for you? That plane is a smaller plane that airlines like AirPeace use for states or desinations that have low customers patronage. I agree with you that those can be hired by individuals, but in that instance it was given to him by Airpeace during the 2019 elections when he was touring some northern states that have lower customers flights. And besides, he can afford it if he wanted, so what is your point?
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by shegz24(m): 8:33am On Jul 07, 2022
...so what is the alternative na?

Bro thinks he is talking to those kids on instagram or facebook that can be bamboozled by stats without a feasible solution profferred.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Carlosdd: 8:48am On Jul 07, 2022
seborrhic:

Olodo.
A gallon of fuel today in the US is $5 which is about ₦3000
I bet you don't know a gallon and litre are not the same.
Since your brain cannot process even the simple things,let me help you further;a(1)gallon is about 4 litres.Therefore a litre of fuel in the US today is 3000/4=₦750.
So where did your 6k-10k per litre come in?
Better go back to a primary school and start your schooling all over because you can't do a simple 1,2,3 talkless how to read or comprehend information.
Seun has abandoned nairaland and it's now filled with dunces and drop-outs from school,aside scammers and bloggers with made up stories.

That’s a mistake on my part I meant to say 1 gallon is 3.7854 liters equivalent but do your background check the price is different from one state to another , you can’t correct someone without insult, the reason sometimes I don’t like argue with a totally stranger you may not know maybe you are exchanging chat with a lunatic, one adage says if you married a stranger which you know nothing about at all it’s likely you marry a demon or you call it evil spirit .

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Peter Obi Visits Kingsley Moghalu (Photos). / Why Nigerians Should Resist The Proposed Christian "Ecclesiastical" Court Bill / Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.