Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,676 members, 7,809,570 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:22 AM

Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM (15646 Views)

Nigerian King And His 4 Wives In Matching Outfits Causes Stir In London / Thousands Of Topless Swaziland's Virgins Dance For King To Celebrate Womanhood / National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ChinenyeN(m): 9:59pm On Jul 28, 2011
Is this discussion not about Nri hegemony? Is it not about Nri the propagated "head of Igbo culture and religion"? Is it not about Nri the so much acclaimed 'Pope' of all Igbo people?

Eze Nri flying over to U.S. to bless some museum exhibit on behalf of "Igbo people" implies A LOT.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Onlytruth(m): 10:03pm On Jul 28, 2011
In fact these guys just spoilt my day. angry
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Onlytruth(m): 10:03pm On Jul 28, 2011
Posted by: ChinenyeN

Is this discussion not about Nri hegemony? Is it not about Nri the propagated "head of Igbo culture and religion"? Is it not about Nri the so much acclaimed 'Pope' of all Igbo people?

Eze Nri flying over to U.S. to bless some museum exhibit on behalf of "Igbo people" implies A LOT.

So since when did Nri ask for tax or force you to do anything?
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ChinenyeN(m): 10:04pm On Jul 28, 2011
Onlytruth, see you writing as if things were different. I've told you and others several times that nothing has changed regarding my viewpoints. Don't try to act like things were different. . . "Just when I thought that ChinenyeN" my foot.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Abagworo(m): 10:04pm On Jul 28, 2011
Igbo has no king.Each segment has what they believe in.Nri never ruled Igboland and never will.Aro never ruled Igboland as well.Onitsha never ruled Igboland,Aboh never ruled Igboland.They all had their Kings that ruled their small area.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Onlytruth(m): 10:07pm On Jul 28, 2011
ChinenyeN

You are disappointing me with your level of LOW REASONING.

ezeagu was talking about a RELIGIOUS and CULTURAL influence of the Nri, while you and Ezeuche were fixated on POLITICAL, MILITARY AND AUTHORITY influence.

The guy gave up!
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ChinenyeN(m): 10:07pm On Jul 28, 2011
Stop diverting this discussion. This isn't about tax or force. This is about the erroneous Nri claims of religious/cultural hegemony. The overstatement of Nri area of influence.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Onlytruth(m): 10:08pm On Jul 28, 2011
Well you did not provide any evidence to the contrary of what he was saying. Rather you were busy partitioning Igboland to suit your clannish revisionism.

Go ahead anyway.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Onlytruth(m): 10:11pm On Jul 28, 2011
My main worry is that some of you who are busy partitioning Igboland today would wake up tomorrow to start commenting on sensitive national issues affecting the Igbo nation.
You cannot make a positive contribution to our PR when you are closet clannists.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ChinenyeN(m): 10:13pm On Jul 28, 2011
Yes. Excuse yourself. You're here talking about clannish revisionism. Who is revising what when it is clear and obvious that my people have no traditions regarding Nri and any hegemony. You want to enter here and tell me about my culture and people?
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Onlytruth(m): 10:16pm On Jul 28, 2011
Posted by: ChinenyeN

Yes. Excuse yourself. You're here talking about clannish revisionism. Who is revising what when it is clear and obvious that my people have no traditions regarding Nri and any hegemony. You want to enter here and tell me about my culture and people?

Like I said before, you did not provide any evidence to the contrary. Please note that I am not supporting Nri hegemony over Igboland. We are all here to learn new things.

My angst is that you never provided any contrary evidence, rather you are busy dissecting Igboland into parts.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by hackney(m): 10:16pm On Jul 28, 2011
WHO IS EZE NRI?
How come he's so great but  most igbos dont know him?
he's blessing stolen artefacts on whose behalf? ?

whoever is imposing this eze nri on the igbos should go and push that agenda in his village.
where d f.ux.ck is nri by the way? ? ? ?

1 Like

Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Onlytruth(m): 10:19pm On Jul 28, 2011
Ezeagu provided his own evidence with things like Omu, igu -aro, ichi, and ikpu aru (alu), market days and new yam.
I don't know if that is all true, but I need evidence to the contrary.
Dissecting Igboland into parts is SELF DEFEATING.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ezeagu(m): 10:23pm On Jul 28, 2011
Abagworo:

Northern Igbos and Delta Igbos have stories of people coming from Nri to settle and form some organization there.Southern Igbos have none or little of that.

Yes, that's because those are Nri settlements, and Nri didn't settle so much southwards.

ChinenyeN:

Isn't hegemony when someone has absolute power over another group of people? The pope is the head of the Catholic church, does that make him a supreme leader over Argentina, the Philippines, or even Italy?

hackney:

WHO IS EZE NRI?
How come he's so great but  most igbos dont know him?
he's blessing stolen artefacts on whose behalf? ?

whoever is imposing this eze nri on the igbos should go and push that agenda in his village.
where d f.ux.ck is nri by the way? ? ? ?

What do most Igbo people know? Do they even remember to teach their children their language, let alone who Eze Nri is.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Abagworo(m): 10:24pm On Jul 28, 2011
Onlytruth:

My main worry is that some of you who are busy partitioning Igboland today would wake up tomorrow to start commenting on sensitive national issues affecting the Igbo nation.
You cannot make a positive contribution to our PR when you are closet clannists.

Brother I will like you to understand the point here.I have seen some Yorubas on this forum erroneously say that Nri is the origin of all Igbos.It is good to point out the fact that Nri has its branch of Igbo very different from others in origin.Trying to force everybody to accept Nri is what will split Igbo ethnic group to its original independent groups.We should acknowledge our differences even in our unity.I can as well wake up one morning to claim that all Igbos originated from Benin or Ijaw and back it up with some Benin or Ijaw influences in our dialect and culture.Same goes with the Ekpe and Okonko stuff that originates from Cross River.

So all Umunri should know their boundary as well as Umuidu,Umuoru ,Umuisu and Umuaro.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ezeagu(m): 10:25pm On Jul 28, 2011
Abagworo:

Brother I will like you to understand the point here.I have seen some Yorubas on this forum erroneously say that Nri is the origin of all Igbos.It is good to point out the fact that Nri has its branch of Igbo very different from others in origin.Trying to force everybody to accept Nri is what will split Igbo ethnic group to its original independent groups.We should acknowledge our differences even in our unity.I can as well wake up one morning to claim that all Igbos originated from Benin or Ijaw and back it up with some Benin or Ijaw influences in our dialect and culture.Same goes with the Ekpe and Okonko stuff that originates from Cross River.

So all Umunri should know their boundary as well as Umuidu,Umuoru ,Umuisu and Umuaro.

Who claimed Nri is the origin of all Igbo people here?
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by houvest: 10:27pm On Jul 28, 2011
Interesting Thread.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by EzeUche(m): 10:29pm On Jul 28, 2011
Igbo Enwe Eze!

I cannot believe our Northern Igbo brothers are acting trying to have cultural hegemony.

We do not recognize the Eze Nri's hegemony in Southern Igboland. The Eze Aro remains the only leader I shall recognize.

The Aro's influence was much stronger than the Eze Nri's influence. Our influence could be felt throughout Igboland, Ibibioland, Ekoiland etc.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Onlytruth(m): 10:30pm On Jul 28, 2011
Posted by: ezeagu
Who claimed Nri is the origin of all Igbo people here?

Was wondering that too!  undecided
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ezeagu(m): 10:30pm On Jul 28, 2011
EzeUche:

The Aro's influence was much stronger than the Eze Nri's influence. Our influence could be felt throughout Igboland, Ibibioland, Ekoiland etc.

What influence did Aro have?
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Onlytruth(m): 10:35pm On Jul 28, 2011
The way I have come to see this is like Jews for instance.

Isreal was one tribe made up of many clans within it. Even the bible account show that Israel assimilated a lot of the groups they met in the promised land, meaning that they are NOT biologically all children of Jacob.

But guess what, the most influential TILL DATE of the Israeli group is the clan of JUDA.
Hence even some countries refer to Israelites as JUDEN or JUDE.

Like I said before, folks can believe whatever they like, but please remember that when tomorrow you start fighting Yorubas and other groups on this forum.
Be reflective before you type here, else others would think you are just a fool.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by EzeUche(m): 10:36pm On Jul 28, 2011
ezeagu:

What influence did Aro have?

Are you asking that question? What influence that the Aro had?

The Ibini Ukpabi influence could be felt throughout Igboland.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Onlytruth(m): 10:37pm On Jul 28, 2011
In fact this debate is part of why I called for a cultural revolution in Igboland to set some things straight and banish alien things.
The place is turning into a zoo of sorts with all kinds of claims and counter claims.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by EzeUche(m): 10:39pm On Jul 28, 2011
Onlytruth:

The way I have come to see this is like Jews for instance.

Isreal was one tribe made up of many clans within it. Even the bible account show that Israel assimilated a lot of the groups they met in the promised land, meaning that they are NOT biologically all children of Jacob.

But guess what, the most influential TILL DATE of the Israeli group is the clan of JUDA.
Hence even some countries refer to Israelites are JUDEN or JUDE.

Like I said before, folks can believe whatever they like, but please remember that when tomorrow you start fighting Yorubas and other groups on this forum.
Be reflective before you type here, else others would think you are just a fool.

There is no comparison. The Igbo clan of Nri is not paramount.

The Eze Aro and the Obi of Onitsha were two of 5 Igbo chiefs who were mentioned by the British as having authority.

You are a revisionist.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Onlytruth(m): 10:42pm On Jul 28, 2011
^^
If you read what I wrote then you may have a problem with comprehension.

The Jewish nation you know today is only bound together by Judaism, not ancestory.

There are many groups assimilated into them over the thousands of years of their formation.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by EzeUche(m): 10:43pm On Jul 28, 2011
I believe in Igbo unity but not at this expense.

Why should groups that do not recognize Nri's authority be forced to see the Eze Nri being treated like a Pope while the other Eze's are mere bishops?
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Onlytruth(m): 10:45pm On Jul 28, 2011
And I wonder why a mere claim of religious influence would make some Igbo groups start fuming as if they would be subjugated politically.
You see why Igbo is a weak nation today?
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ezeagu(m): 10:47pm On Jul 28, 2011
EzeUche:

Are you asking that question? What influence that the Aro had?

The Ibini Ukpabi influence could be felt throughout Igboland.

Ibin Ukpabi is dead and gone, and if not for the British exaggeration, most people wouldn't have remembered it. No one even knows what Ibin Ukpabi is but rather the 'Long Juju' which the British called it. The oracle wasn't even 'made' by Aro people.

On the other hand, the Nri influence in Igbo religion is still strong, although Nri itself has died down.

EzeUche:

There is no comparison. The Igbo clan of Nri is not paramount.

The Eze Aro and the Obi of Onitsha were two of 5 Igbo chiefs who were mentioned by the British as having authority.

You are a revisionist.

Those kings are actually kings and war lords, the Eze Nri was a ritual head. Nobody said the Nri clan is 'paramount'.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Onlytruth(m): 10:51pm On Jul 28, 2011
Posted by: EzeUche

I believe in Igbo unity but not at this expense.

Why should groups that do not recognize Nri's authority be forced to see the Eze Nri being treated like a Pope while the other Eze's are mere bishops?

I'm beginning to doubt that!
Have you actually sat down to think about how difficult it must have been for Ojukwu to hold Igboland together talk less of the minorities during the war?

When you have thought about that, you would come to understand why Israel is a strong nation though patched together by religion, while we are a weak nation.

Do you think I mind if Aro is recognised at the sole Igbo authority?

I'm not from Nri, and my people may even have their own views about Nri or anyone else.
But when you start making statements about "Northern Igbo", "Eastern Igbo" and "Southern Igbo", an external enemy would be chuckling and waiting for a day he would use people like you to destroy us.  undecided

If you think you won't sell Ndigbo, go back and re-read your comments.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by EzeUche(m): 10:52pm On Jul 28, 2011
The way some of my Igbo brothers to the North are acting, they are making me angry with their assertions.

Would my Northern Igbo brother like it if I said, that there clans were raided by my people?
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Onlytruth(m): 10:54pm On Jul 28, 2011
And I will soon warn foreigners to hence forth disregard comments from some nairalanders who claim to be Igbo.
Those people have identity problems. cool
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ChinenyeN(m): 10:57pm On Jul 28, 2011
Since when did it become okay to ignore a community's traditions (or in the case of my people a lack thereof)? Anyway. .

1) Omu: I looked this up and Google Books says its supposed to be palm frond. We call those 'igu'. We use igu symbolically to mark the end of a dispute between communities. Likewise, Annang/Efik/Ibibio/etc. also use palm frond [which they call ekpin or eyei] to mark the end of a dispute between communities. This week is the first I'm hearing of 'omu'.

2) Igu Aro: We don't mark our calendar by "Igu Aro". We don't even have "Igu Aro". Our calendar is marked by Ekpe. Not Ekpe for Okonko, but a different Ekpe.

3) Ichi: I looked this one up too. We do not have anything like Ichi marks which denote Ozo. Instead we do Kanja/Okanja which is an identification/tribal marking.

4) Ikpu aru: I don't know what we call it in Ngwa, but I know that it is the local priests of Ala who officiates sacrifices whenever someone commits sacrilege against Ala.

5) Market Days: The only thing I know about market days is the order in ala Ngwa and one proverb regarding it.

6) New Yam: We don't celebrate this.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Arrival Of A New Baby Amongst Ndigbo. / Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? / Mayans' 2012 Prediction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.