Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,402 members, 7,812,176 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:32 AM

Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation (5902 Views)

Vandalism: FG May Acquire Tarkwa Bay, Kachikwu Warns Community / Ibe Kachiukwu Assumes Office As Minister Of State For Petroleum Resources (Photo / Fg May Acquire Shares In 9 Rescued Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by tpia5: 5:38am On Jul 27, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Yes, what we are used to is mouthing off about how easy it is even when it is clear we are oblivious to the facts of the condition of farmers . . . .

you seem to lack comprehension skills because you're always so eager to type:

tpia@:

since nigeria already has a farming sector, why not find out how they started and in addition, people need to understand farming is a cash intensive venture which doesnt yield immediate high returns and can be arbitrary.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by Kobojunkie: 5:41am On Jul 27, 2011
tpia@:

^^sorry about your late uncle but there agricultural institutes within nigeria itself which handle the issue of seed types and strains.

bringing in seeds from outside has to be done through the proper channels unless you have special exemptions to this rule, i should think.

i doubt you can just do it arbitrarily like that because there are so many factors to be brought into consideration.

as per your friend in fishery- i dont think starting a fish farm is that hard. Was she applying for grants in nigeria or in the US?

i dont think most nigerian start up farms get any grants though i could be wrong.

tpia@:

since nigeria already has a farming sector, why not find out how they started and in addition, people need to understand farming is a cash intensive venture which doesnt yield immediate high returns and can be arbitrary.

tpia@:

i'm not used to the idea of starting a farm with a bank loan or grant. That sounds western, imo.

However, i dont doubt its possible people do that in nigeria too.

coming from a line of farmers on both sides, i cant really say for sure but all this is news to me.

Oh yes, oh brilliant one!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed  You are certainly not the one typing all the disconnected "FACTS" just for the sake of typing!
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by tpia5: 5:42am On Jul 27, 2011
and no, i'm not new to farming and as far as i know, entering the farming sector as a large scale farmer and little actual farming knowledge, is quite risky.

you start small and grow, imo, not start large with no room to give yourself the growth experience.

however, if anyone has done so successfully, kindly share with the rest of us since we're all learning here.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by tpia5: 5:43am On Jul 27, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Oh yes, oh brilliant one!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

you're not making sense in your eagerness to prove itk.

reread my posts slowly and if you still dont get it, skip ahead to somebody else.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by OAM4J: 5:44am On Jul 27, 2011
tpia@:

i'm not used to the idea of starting a farm with a bank loan or grant. That sounds western, imo.

However, i dont doubt its possible people do that in nigeria too.

coming from a line of farmers on both sides, i cant really say for sure but all this is news to me.

Well it was easier for your parents in those days cos they had inherited lands, tranning and facilities from their parents.

Imagine a fresh graduate of Agric Science planning to go into farming today without inherited land and money, where will he start from?

That is why it is beyond just telling the unemployed graduates to go back into farming? Farming today requires a lot of capital and it a very risky venture.  I know someone who invested in fish farming, made a terrible loss and later died of heart attack.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by Roland17(m): 5:45am On Jul 27, 2011
@kobojunkie
I am not disappointed or marveled at your response, despite your obvious grammatical errors and poor sentence construction evident on this thread, especially on your self contradicting statement originally found on the first page of this thread, which is still there for every one to read and for which u do not have a justifiable explanation for, i would not be drawn into an argument of insults with you. we all make mistakes, no one is above mistakes,  accepting an error does not make u less of what u already are.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by Kobojunkie: 5:46am On Jul 27, 2011
OAM4J:

Well it was easier for your parents in those days cos they had inherited lands, tranning and facilities from their parents.

Imagine a fresh graduate of Agric Science planning to go into farming today without inherited land and money, where will he start from?

That is why it is beyond just telling the unemployed graduates to go back into farming? Farming today requires a lot of capital and it a very risky venture.  I know someone who invested in fish farming, made a terrible loss and later died of heart attack.

^^^ you are talking! grin grin grin grin grin  Stop telling me we need Government to do the job when it is that we have graduates, my friend included, who are unable to do it because of limited access to the necessary resources. 

For America here, no be government dey help American farmers stay on top of their competition year in and year out?  shocked shocked shocked See Indonesia dey help their businesses and farmers get land to lease now in Africa . . . other countries doing the same. That is what we need government to do for us.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by Kobojunkie: 5:47am On Jul 27, 2011
Roland17:

@kobojunkie
I am not disappointed or marveled at your response, despite your obvious grammatical errors and poor sentence construction evident on this thread, especially on your self contradicting statement originally found on the first page of this thread, which is still there for every one to read and for which u do not have a justifiable explanation for, i would not be drawn into an argument of insults with you. we all make mistakes, no one is above mistakes,  accepting an error does not make u less of what u already are.
Kobojunkie:

I am on second away from declaring you definitely need to go back to your English lecturer to question the score he gave you in that class of his/hers . . .  grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy

I am not above mistakes -- never have said that I am --- but I will not cop to someone elses mistake, even yours. Now go back, and re-read to figure out why that statement, even clear, remains hard for you to comprehend.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by tpia5: 5:49am On Jul 27, 2011
OAM4J:

Well it was easier for your parents in those days cos they have inherited lands, tranning and facilities from their parents.

^^that's the issue with farming.

some years are good while others are bad.

this is a general thing not specific to nigeria alone.

relying on govt grants only, as a farmer, may lead to ruin if proper planning isnt done.

in my own experience, you take farming as a second job in addition to your regular one. Or if your partner has a well paying job, then you can concentrate on the farm.

its very difficult to survive solely on farming though it was possible in the past with cocoa.

but these days i'm not even sure which cash crops are viable for the global market.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by Roland17(m): 5:59am On Jul 27, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I am not above mistakes -- never have said that I am --- but I will not cop to someone elses mistake, even yours. Now go back, and re-read to figure out why that statement, even clear, remains hard for you to comprehend.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by Roland17(m): 6:02am On Jul 27, 2011
"Government going out to acquire land is opposite of what we need. If anything, what we need is government creating for us a better environment for to encourage us, our graduates especially, to go back to the land."
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by Roland17(m): 6:10am On Jul 27, 2011
^^^what could be more contradictory?
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by NegroNtns(m): 6:21am On Jul 27, 2011
@post, In terms of comparative advantage I'm suspecting its an outsourced venture in which the state is providing land and funding but not the manpower or operations. if that's true, then the focus is geared at internatonal market - exports!

That notwithstanding, there could be a subsidized ratio for home consumption. You also have the vertical industries, breakfast cereal, animal feeds and so on
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by tpia5: 6:27am On Jul 27, 2011
besides oil palm, what's a good export crop these days?
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by JaaizTech: 6:29am On Jul 27, 2011
Interesting. I have had this idea for years. At least it shows Lagos is thinking, but the 'back-draw' is we are at the mercy of the Govt. of those states. Especially for the fact that most rice production viable states are up north.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by seanet02: 7:02am On Jul 27, 2011
Kobo na real enemy of Progress
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by Sike(m): 7:14am On Jul 27, 2011
why RICE
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by Demdem(m): 8:23am On Jul 27, 2011
Honestly, i see nothing wrong with this initiative of the state govt. The truth is govt intervention cant simply be over emphasized. Its really capital intensive & risky in nigeria going into farming despite past govt intervention which has discouraged quite a lot of people to delve into it. I'v carefully read the opinions of those against it on this tread i simply don't think it holds any weight at all.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by redsun(m): 8:58am On Jul 27, 2011
most farmers in d west are in business because of govt subsidies and support.Nigerian govt is not doing enough to boost farming
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by redsun(m): 9:02am On Jul 27, 2011
it is good step in d right direction if it takes off.Far more ethical,rational and viable than eko atlantic project
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by redsun(m): 9:06am On Jul 27, 2011
A man that cannot feed himself cannot climb mountains,same applies to a state or a country.WE NEED TO START FROM D BASICS
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by aribisala0(m): 9:18am On Jul 27, 2011
EzeUche:

The public sector is always ineffective when it comes to running a parastatal.
is this in the quran or bible?
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by atasteve: 9:36am On Jul 27, 2011
But after all said and done, Lagos state government is really thinking.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by edogirl2: 10:42am On Jul 27, 2011
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poster - I'm not advocating that we reduce imports of cars, tvs and other tech-heavy products. I'm talking about simple rice
Seun - How many Nigerian rice farms do you own?  How much money have you invested in Nigerian rice farms?

Couple of weeks ago, you told a chap he had no right to comment on a similar topic becos he has no investment in Nigeria. I told you then, it was daft to suggest only those who invested money could opine.

You are at it again. Now we need to leave our jobs, education etc, become rice farmers & only then can we comment on the prospects for rice farming in this country? And how soon after we set up our farms/invest can we come back here to comment sir? 2 months, 6, or maybe 12months?

Can't you see the incongruity in setting up a forum and insisting only people who have invested in Nigeria may comment on the Nigerian economy?
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by buy1get2(m): 10:42am On Jul 27, 2011
Lagos is on d fast track dis dayz o
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by mrjingles(m): 11:03am On Jul 27, 2011
Make una leave this junkie babe alone, she's a comic relief on nland, the clown princess of pointless arguments and contradictory statements. In short she's a clown! Just ignore her abeg.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by Desola(f): 11:05am On Jul 27, 2011
Like him or loathe him, Ekoile backs his assertions with documentary facts and Fashola makes it all to easy - the man performs! While some are complaining that he hasn't cultivated the ground for farming, EkoIle rushes back into the archives and gives them all a SHUT UP! Why? Because Fash has already done it and is moving on to greater things.

The adversaries should just sit there and argue with their big big grammar that is devoid of an iota of sense while like a Tsunami, Fash sweeps them away!

Anyway, as per the topic, I think its a brilliant move! Why continue to import if we represent the largest consumer in the continent? Common sense dictates that this is a lucrative avenue to not only leave change in our pocket, but to also be the giant of Africa in rice production and export to other African countries! Must we wait for Dangote to take the reins again? If the private sector refuses to do the dirty work, let the public sector pick up the baton! It would help reduce unemployment and improve agricultural research.

At one time, Nigeria was the largest palm oil producer in the world. Indonesia bought a few seeds and the rest is now history. The tables have now turned and we buy from those we fed. You see the irony? If you don't want them to slap your face again, then now is the time.

Lagos knows that with the success of this, they Would be smiling to the bank in no time and perhaps more money to install new drainage system that our madam kofo has been harping on about!

A step in the right direction, Fash!
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by pjo: 11:10am On Jul 27, 2011
Sorry to post this in thread.i had wanted to start a new one,but i don't know how to.please we should ignore sms or calls from scammers that claim to be your copper mate when you did ur NYSC. i think they get your details from the picture albom tha u were given on d day of your POP. I got a text frm someone on friday morning.he addressed me by my full name and said we we coper mate @ sokoto 2010 batch b.he told me he had gotten a job with AGIP oil in rivers state throug his inlaw nd gave me a number to call if i was interested.i did call d socalled inlaw and one thing led to another, b4 i could knw it,i hd paid close to 100k in tn d acc.just dis morning,a nother person called that his name is emmanuel somebody.that we served 2gether in sokoto nd that he has gotten a job with an oil refinery in kaduna i should call him so he could give a number to call.pls don't be a victim,tell ur people and friends especially those that just finished serving.pls tell me how to start a new thread so i could start a fresh thread for this.Sorry to post this in thread.i had wanted to start a new one,but i don't know how to.please we should ignore sms or calls from scammers that claim to be your copper mate when you did ur NYSC. i think they get your details from the picture albom tha u were given on d day of your POP. I got a text frm someone on friday morning.he addressed me by my full name and said we we coper mate @ sokoto 2010 batch b.he told me he had gotten a job with AGIP oil in rivers state throug his inlaw nd gave me a number to call if i was interested.i did call d socalled inlaw and one thing led to another, b4 i could knw it,i hd paid close to 100k in tn d acc.just dis morning,a nother person called that his name is emmanuel somebody.that we served 2gether in sokoto nd that he has gotten a job with an oil refinery in kaduna i should call him so he could give a number to call.pls don't be a victim,tell ur people and friends especially those that just finished serving.pls tell me how to start a new thread so i could start a fresh thread for this.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by Akanbiedu(m): 11:16am On Jul 27, 2011
Nigerians are used to state-run institutions failing, there are too numerous examples around. This is the reason for suspicion.

We don't have to reduce everything to individuals, what about when Fashola leaves office. I seriously don't think Lagos state needs to involve itself in agriculture.

If Lagos however is interested in part ownership with private investors, it will be a great idea.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by member479760: 11:22am On Jul 27, 2011
when Fashola leaves office the farm will become his own! (FFN)
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by delicious1(m): 12:09pm On Jul 27, 2011
What's wrong in acquiring land to cultivate food, when the rest of the world are looking for ways to curb food scarcity?

If the FG cannot seek to expand other areas of the economy-asides oil & gas, then too bad.

Lagos wants to acquire land for farming, that would most likely create lots of jobs-and and some people are here moaning about it.

Western countries have been buying up African farming properties and large tracts of arable land, many of these lands are being taken in order to develop biofuel production, in place of normal food production.

It's better we buy up or acquire our own land and use it for food farming-to give jobs to local farmers and feed our people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Review North-East Budget Or Face Insurgency - Ex-Yobe Governor To GEJ / Breaking:- Investors Flee Nigeria - Bloomberg News!!! / Channels TV Drone Pictures Of Peter Obi's Rally In TBS Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.