Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,388 members, 7,812,147 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:03 AM

Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation (5901 Views)

Vandalism: FG May Acquire Tarkwa Bay, Kachikwu Warns Community / Ibe Kachiukwu Assumes Office As Minister Of State For Petroleum Resources (Photo / Fg May Acquire Shares In 9 Rescued Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 3:15am On Jul 27, 2011
@ jason, are you a newbie on this forum? Why are you engaging Kobojunkie when she has gone on one of her Lagos/Fashola bashing rants? O lagbara o! You really should know better than that.

@ topic, while I agree that government parastatals have not exactly been a pillar of success in Nigeria, i think the idea behind the move makes good sense. It's not as if there is exactly a shortage of rice in the country but considering the volume of consumers, local production would be acsmart idea. By producing locally, food security in the country is boosted. The fact that it is government owned also means that it will have access to government's resources to ensure its success. Some argue that it should be left for the private sector but i disagree. As far as i know, there is no government edict banning private sector participation in rice production. If that is the case, why are private investors yet to engage in rice production. Besides, if government kicks it off andcmakes a success out of it, it will serve as motivation for private sector involvement since the aim of private investment (to make profit) has been proved possible by government.

my only fear in all this, of course, is that the Nigerian factor may kick in and someone, somewhere may make away with the money.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by aljharem(m): 3:16am On Jul 27, 2011
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by aljharem(m): 3:19am On Jul 27, 2011
sorry it was obj duing 1979
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by ektbear: 3:26am On Jul 27, 2011
Farming is something that doesn't seem to appeal to rich Nigerians. The guys who are most likely to pull it off in a successful manner (that can compete internationally) are instead involved in real estate, oil and gas, or importing.

Obasanjo Farms is nice. But we probably need 1000 or 10,000 such farms, not just a handful.

Basically, the free market isn't perfect. If Lagos State wants to step in and fix a problem that raw capitalism doesn't appear to be able to solve, this might not be a bad idea.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by OAM4J: 3:29am On Jul 27, 2011
I have no problem with either the public or private sector investing in agriculture. What is important is that we have sufficient food.

I would have been happier if what we are discussing is an action plan, but the news is that "Lagos may". So we are not sure if Lagos will eventually do it or not.

It has been estimated that few years from now, the world will experience food-shortage crises, any forthright thinking government should know that promoting/investing in agriculture is the way to go now.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by aljharem(m): 3:36am On Jul 27, 2011
1 Thing, is the land in Nigeria or outside Nigeria?
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by EkoIle1: 3:41am On Jul 27, 2011
senbonzakura_kageyoshi:

@ jason, are you a newbie on this forum? Why are you engaging Kobojunkie when she has gone on one of her Lagos/Fashola bashing rants? O lagbara o! You really should know better than that.

@ topic, while I agree that government parastatals have not exactly been a pillar of success in Nigeria, i think the idea behind the move makes good sense. It's not as if there is exactly a shortage of rice in the country but considering the volume of consumers, local production would be acsmart idea. By producing locally, food security in the country is boosted. The fact that it is government owned also means that it will have access to government's resources to ensure its success. Some argue that it should be left for the private sector but i disagree. As far as i know, there is no government edict banning private sector participation in rice production. If that is the case, why are private investors yet to engage in rice production. Besides, if government kicks it off andcmakes a success out of it, it will serve as motivation for private sector involvement since the aim of private investment (to make profit) has been proved possible by government.

my only fear in all this, of course, is that the Nigerian factor may kick in and someone, somewhere may make away with the money.

Very well said. The fact is, we all have reservations about our country and how things work sometimes, but so far, I like what Lagos state is doing with it's agriculture policy.

The basic foundation for any human growth is education, you have to spend money to educate your masses, you have to lead and create opportunities for them to grow and deliver.

Lagos state teamed up with one of the best folks in modern agriculture to educate Lagos Agric graduates in modern Agricultural practices and mechanization, they are even sending some of them to Israel for 3 months internship on farms in Israel, and return to the Lagos Agric-YES Farm to complete the remaining 3 months of internship.

Check out the this video. This is nothing but a huge investment and commitment, I don't even see the federal government taking such steps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4wRUp9tPQY
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by Kobojunkie: 3:44am On Jul 27, 2011
Eko Ile:

So food/food security is no longer basic needs? And what about the folks needed to work on the farms from farm hands, machine and milling operators all the way to retail outlets having legitimate jobs, collecting paychecks and paying taxes back to the state? Are these not basic needs.

I know it's your calling in life to swim in negativity and sadness, but some of you don't even try to make sense no more.

Yes, @Eko_ile is now advocating for Government to get into Farming to provide people with food to eat.  I knew you would try to make even the nonsensical make sense with your bull arguments  . . ,  ROFLMAO!! Even though Rice production is not a problem in Nigeria . . . Fashola should definitely get into rice farming.

Yes, Government should also stick with controlling power production, Healthcare, Drainage construction etc. Suddenly, Fashola's name has come up and we must all throw away what we know so we can support even the nonsensical with Fashola! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by Kobojunkie: 3:46am On Jul 27, 2011
OAM4J:

I have no problem with either the public or private sector investing in agriculture. What is important is that we have sufficient food.

I would have been happier if what we are discussing is an action plan, but the news is that "Lagos may". So we are not sure if Lagos will eventually do it or not.

It has been estimated that few years from now, the world will experience food-shortage crises, any forthright thinking government should know that promoting/investing in agriculture is the way to go now.

You raise that issue on this thread but I will follow up by asking you exactly how many Goverment's have actually taken the hoe to go start up farming so they can provide the food that will be needed?? How many Governments around the world have decided that issue is legit reason for them to take on food production, in addition with trying to govern their people??  grin grin grin grin grin

Nigeria really deserves what it continues to get ooo. I just saw a piece on Indonesia making deals with countries like Uganda, Kenya, Sierra leone etc to allow Indonesian businesses buy up/lease land for food production. And what are we doing? Rejoicing and damning every would-be farmer, and agric graduate out there who has been struggling to get help/assistance from Government(considering the astronomically high cost of leasing land, let along purchasing, and running a thriving agricultural business in Nigeria) because some of us want more praise time for Fashola. grin
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by Roland17(m): 4:21am On Jul 27, 2011
Who else on NL is perfect at self contradiction if not Kobojunkie? read her 2nd post on this topic and you would realize what i mean, i pray she is subtle and mature enough to admit the contradiction.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by aljharem(m): 4:23am On Jul 27, 2011
Roland17:

Who else on NL is perfect at self contradiction if not Kobojunkie? read her 2nd post on this topic and you would realize what i mean, i pray she is subtle and mature enough to admit the contradiction.
grin grin grin grin abeg leave my kobo J alone.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by Kobojunkie: 4:26am On Jul 27, 2011
Roland17:

Here is a simple test of your intelligence. Point out the contradiction . . .  ! I challenge you! undecided
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by aljharem(m): 4:37am On Jul 27, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Here is a simple test of your intelligence. Point out the contradiction . . .  ! I challenge you! undecided

thats my kobo kobo kiss kiss kiss
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by OAM4J: 4:44am On Jul 27, 2011
Kobojunkie:

You raise that issue on this thread but I will follow up by asking you exactly how many Goverment's have actually taken the hoe to go start up farming so they can provide the food that will be needed?? How many Governments around the world have decided that issue is legit reason for them to take on food production, in addition with trying to govern their people??  grin grin grin grin grin

Nigeria really deserves what it continues to get ooo. I just saw a piece on Indonesia making deals with countries like Uganda, Kenya, Sierra leone etc to allow Indonesian businesses buy up/lease land for food production. And what are we doing? Rejoicing and damning every would-be farmer, and agric graduate out there who has been struggling to get help/assistance from Government(considering the astronomically high cost of leasing land, let along purchasing, and running a thriving agricultural business in Nigeria) because some of us want more praise time for Fashola.  grin

I know and understand the complications surrounding private sector investment in Agriculture in Nigeria because I am close to a number of people involve. I dont want to go into the issues but believe me, it is really not encouraging even with all the announced Government interventions/assistance. That said, if the private sector are not encouraged to produce food, nothing stops a thinking Government doing so and later sell/hand it over to private sector after it has become viable. What is key is that something must be done now before the crisis hit us unprepared.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by Kobojunkie: 4:54am On Jul 27, 2011
OAM4J:

I know and understand the complications surrounding private sector investment in Agriculture in Nigeria because I am close to a number of people involve. I dont want to go into the issues but believe me, it is really not encouraging even with all the announced Government interventions/assistance. That said, if the private sector are not encouraged to produce food, nothing stops a thinking Government doing so and later sell/hand it over to private sector after it has become viable. What is key is that something must be done now before the crisis hit us unprepared.

Excuse me? I don't understand what you have above. Who is responsible for encouraging the private sector to produce food? Is it not Government?

I also know of some of the so-called complications surrounding private sector investment in Agriculture in Nigeria, and what I have to say is BULL . . . we all know that much of the money doled out to many of the programs end up going to the GANG MEMBERS of the politicians. I remember the recent 200 million dollars made available, only to go straight to the large scale farmers(most of them politicians) who do not even need the grants really.

My recently late uncle was a PHD in agricultural sciences with a dream to own his own farm -- bring in improved seeds to help improve farming in Nigeria, attract big research(one of the programs went to Kenya since the Government dragged it's feet for so long on preparing the school and all)well. He fought for decades to get government to invest, in improving the agriculture department in the university he taught at. He even tried to run for office to get stuff done. Well, he is late now . . . died two years ago.

I also happen to have a friend who holds a masters in Fishery. She had high hopes that she could make it as a farmer. Applied for various grants programs supposedly available to people interested in farming, but no luck! We actually put together grant request paper and never hear zilch from the agency, even after confirming that the paper was received and all.

So, I am sorry if I am not for government PRETENDING we do not have people who are passionate about food production, that it should then decide to head to the farm on it's own.

Definitely -- Absolutely! Something must be done NOW, and that something is not for govenrnment to go buying up land in the name of planting crops to feed the people. If there were programs out there, even by the Lagos Government to encourage people to go back to the fields, be sure that I will be one of those to take advantage of such a program. What we need are honest-to-goodness plans to invest in our local farmers --- aid them, help them succeed. We do not need our Government to take on farming duties . . . when it has other duties to tackle ASAP.

Plus, I did ask earlier about the generator business that the Government is already involved in. How is that working out? Is money coming out from that venture yet? Where are we investing that? undecided undecided

Anywho, like I said, I think this is another WAYO WAYO news from the Lagos media machine . . . . trying to claim the state is doing yet another thing the state is not doing.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by tpia5: 5:01am On Jul 27, 2011
^^sorry about your late uncle but there agricultural institutes within nigeria itself which handle the issue of seed types and strains.

bringing in seeds from outside has to be done through the proper channels unless you have special exemptions to this rule, i should think.

i doubt you can just do it arbitrarily like that because there are so many factors to be brought into consideration.

as per your friend in fishery- i dont think starting a fish farm is that hard. Was she applying for grants in nigeria or in the US?

i dont think most nigerian start up farms get any grants though i could be wrong.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by OAM4J: 5:08am On Jul 27, 2011
@Kobojunkie

Am glad you understand the issues, all the experiences you recount are not so different from mine. I know there are lot of Nigerians who with lil motivation are willing to go into farming as well, but somehow all these government encouragements/interventions/grants have so far failed to yield desired results due to the level of corruption in our society. While they consider the alternatives, I still maintain that it is not out of place for Government to invest in agriculture and later sell/hand it over to private sectors, especially such large scale farming.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by Roland17(m): 5:10am On Jul 27, 2011
According to Kobojunkie in her second post found on the first page of this thread i quote "Government going out to acquire land is opposite of what we need. If anything, what we need is government creating for us a better environment for to encourage us, our graduates especially, to go back to the land"

Am i the only one reading the contradiction in that statement? especially as it relates to the topic of this thread and her position in this argument?
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by Kobojunkie: 5:11am On Jul 27, 2011
OAM4J:

@Kobojunkie

Am glad you understand the issues, all the experiences you recount are not so different from mine. I know there are lot of Nigerians who with lil motivation are willing to go into farming as well, but somehow all these government encouragements/interventions/grants have so far failed to yield desired results due to the level of corruption in our society. While they consider the alternatives, I still maintain that it is not out of place for Government to invest in agriculture and later sell/hand it over to private sectors, especially such large scale farming.

Simple question . . . what Government encouragement?

Wait a minute . . . are you going to tell me next that since Government has largely failed in providing infrastructure, we should OK Government going into the business of running it's own construction companies?  undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by Kobojunkie: 5:13am On Jul 27, 2011
Roland17:

According to Kobojunkie in her second post found on the first page of this thread i quote[b] "Government going out to acquire land is opposite of what we need. If anything, what we need is government creating for us a better environment for to encourage us, our graduates especially, to go back to the land"[/b]

Am i the only one reading the contradiction in that statement? especially as it relates to the topic of this thread and the position she takes on the argument?

I am on second away from declaring you definitely need to go back to your English lecturer to question the score he gave you in that class of his/hers . . . grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by tpia5: 5:14am On Jul 27, 2011
since nigeria already has a farming sector, why not find out how they started and in addition, people need to understand farming is a cash intensive venture which doesnt yield immediate high returns and can be arbitrary.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by EkoIle1: 5:16am On Jul 27, 2011
tpia@:

^^sorry about your late uncle but there agricultural institutes within nigeria itself which handle the issue of seed types and strains.

bringing in seeds from outside has to be done through the proper channels unless you have special exemptions to this rule, i should think.

i doubt you can just do it arbitrarily like that because there are so many factors to be brought into consideration.

as per your friend in fishery- i dont think starting a fish farm is that hard. Was she applying for grants in nigeria or in the US?

i dont think most nigerian start up farms get any grants though i could be wrong.

The same Lagos state government he/she's crying about is doing everything he/she's whining about from training farmers to handing out money and land for investment after graduation, they also have their own Agric institute with experts from Israel handling research and seeds issues.

This is nothing but the usual silly contradictory argument emanating from ignorance.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by OAM4J: 5:17am On Jul 27, 2011
tpia@:

It is not as easy as u stated. Difficult for any farmer to succeed in Nigeria with bank loans, and most of those government announced grants/loans are not well managed and usually end up in the pocket of few politicians claiming to be farmers.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by Kobojunkie: 5:19am On Jul 27, 2011
OAM4J:

It is not as easy as u stated. Difficult for any farmer to succeed in Nigeria with bank loans, and most of those government announced grants/loans are not well managed and usually end up in the pocket of few politicians claiming to be farmers.

Thank you!!! The so-called IFAD loan that Lagos attached it's name to, in 2008 -1009/10, is the one we worked for months on end to get. Only to discover at the end of the day that the stipulation for grant qualification alone was way beyond us.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by tpia5: 5:20am On Jul 27, 2011
The same Lagos state government he/she's crying about is doing everything he/she's whining about from training farmers to handing out money and land for investment after graduation

that's impressive- never heard of the like in nigeria.

at least to the best of my knowledge.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by tpia5: 5:23am On Jul 27, 2011
OAM4J:

i'm not used to the idea of starting a farm with a bank loan or grant. That sounds western, imo.

However, i dont doubt its possible people do that in nigeria too.

coming from a line of farmers on both sides, i cant really say for sure but all this is news to me.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by Kobojunkie: 5:26am On Jul 27, 2011
Yes, what we are used to is mouthing off about how easy it is even when it is clear we are oblivious to the facts of the condition of farmers . . . .

Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by EkoIle1: 5:27am On Jul 27, 2011
Birth Of A Proper Economy Rooted In Agric Has Taken Off In Lagos
…Says Fashola at First Graduation of AGRIC YES Trainees

Dec 18, 2010 - Lagos State Governor, Mr Babatunde Fashola (SAN) on Saturday attended the first graduation ceremony of Course One of the Agriculture Based Youth Empowerment Scheme (AGRIC-YES) Trainees in Epe with an affirmation that the birth of a proper economy, rooted in Agriculture that supports industrialization has taken off in Lagos.

Governor Fashola who spoke at the Agricultural Training Institute(ATI) Araga Poka in Epe venue of the colourful, well attended ceremony said the new economy would lead to the development of service sector that completes the chain of a resilient economy.

He explained that the Agric Yes Scheme is one of the many practical solutions that Government is deploying in response to the growing reality of youth unemployment and challenges it poses in a rapidly changing economic climate.

Said he: "We gather to witness the graduation of the first 100 out of 1000 young men and women who are programmed to benefit from the Agric Youth Empowerment Scheme (Agric Yes). We harvest the most critical resource, the fully trained, and highly skilled manpower that is the bedrock of our pursuit of food security in our State and country".

He added: "I am delighted that we have walked our talk again in the Agriculture sector of the Lagos economy. This has been possible because great men and women in the State public service and in the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives have found a new belief in themselves.

"When we started this journey some said we were too much in a hurry and that we will get tired, that we were running a marathon like a sprint and some even said we were all talk and no action but today even if you disbelieve what we say, you cannot disbelieve what we have done and you can see them".

"It pleases me that this is happening now because tomorrow (Sunday)this government would have spent 1300 days in office as part of the 1460 days of your mandate. It remains 160 days before we complete this term. We will keep walking and keep running in serving you", he explained.

Governor Fashola while congratulating the new graduands said he hopes they will take charge of the future that will ensure that Lagosians do not worry about what to eat, because if a country as small as Isreal can do it, Lagos too can double that feat.

He said in order to assist and support the take off of the programme, the State Government has approved micro-finance funding for their co-operatives which has been developed and is receiving support from the Ministry of Agriculture.

"The future certainly belongs to you all now, as you lead us into a new experience of high quality farming methods, packaging techniques, marketing and distribution network and strategies that will truly revolutionize the image and concept of Agriculture in our State and country."

"I see the birth of many other support industries such as canning and other value added services commencing not too long from now", the Governor said.

He urged them not to look behind but to continue to produce farm output because people will buy them , adding that he has already issued an Executive Order that the agric co-operatives of the public service where garri and potatoes are fried would be their ready market as they are ready to take the products.

Speaking earlier, the Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Special Projects who is also the Co-ordinator of the Programme, Mr Gbolahan Lawal said the Agric Yes programme was conceptualized as a form of social intervention response aimed at solving the twin problems of youth unemployment and food security.

He added that the scheme is a three phase intervention programme spanning a period of five years with a target of producing 1,000 laptop carrying elite farmers with phase one made up of a six month intensive training, phase two a six month internship stage where participants proceed to the commercial farm to learn best practices on running successful farms.

He explained that the third stage is the exit stage where successful trainees are permanently settled in farm estates (clusters) fashioned after the Isreali Kibutz/Mashev with empowerment in form of take off grants and linkage to the Lagos Micro Finance Institution (LASMI) for credit facilities and settlement.
[/b]

Mr Gbolahan added that the three phases of training, internship and settlement is being handled in collaboration with Isreali and Nigerian consultants.[/b]

Certificates were presented to the 100 graduating students who were admitted as Agric Youth Empowerment Scheme trainees with Mr Obayomi Olabiyi Aderemi emerging as the best graduating student.

Governor Fashola also undertook an extensive inspection of the facilities at the training institute as well as the offices before the commencement of the ceremony.

Prominent among those who attended the ceremony were members of the State Executive Council, traditional rulers like the Alara of Ilara, Oba A.O Adesanya, Elegushi of Ikateland, Oba Saheed Ademola Elegushi Kusenla II, the Ojomu of Ajiranland, Oba Tijani Adetunji Akinloye and Oloja of Epe, Oba Kamorudeen Animashaun among many other traditional rulers and foreign nationals.

Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by EkoIle1: 5:29am On Jul 27, 2011

Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by Kobojunkie: 5:30am On Jul 27, 2011
I like that !!! We have people who attended 4-year colleges to learn Agricultural sciences. Some graduated with Masters(6-years or more) in agricultural fields. Many even went on to work on farms for their IT attachment  . . .  . .  hmmm. . .   lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by OAM4J: 5:32am On Jul 27, 2011
tpia@:

that's impressive- never heard of the like in nigeria.

at least to the best of my knowledge.

Quite a number of former state governors did similar things. I remember the former Governor of Ebonyi before the current one, had this poultry program, where they were training, people, gave them grants, chicks, drugs and feeds on credit with the hope of buying the chickens from them after some months. I heard a number of the people abused it. So the problem is both on the government and the people side.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by EkoIle1: 5:34am On Jul 27, 2011
tpia@:

i'm not used to the idea of starting a farm with a bank loan or grant. That sounds western, imo.

However, i dont doubt its possible people do that in nigeria too.

coming from a line of farmers on both sides, i cant really say for sure but all this is news to me.

Fashola Approves N500 Million Loans for Agric - YES Graduates

Olasunkanmi Akoni

26 January 2011

Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State has approved the release of about N500 million loan facility for 100 youths who participated in the Agricultural Youth Empowerment Scheme (Agric-YES) aimed at boosting food production in the state.

Meanwhile, the state government has expressed concerns about the impact of climate change on crop and animal production in the state, saying global warning had negatively affected rice production by 40 percent between 2009 and 2010.

Permanent Secretary of the state Ministry of Agriculture, Dr. Yakub Basorun revealed this at a forum with Newsmen at the state secretariat, a situation he said "has been a source of concerns".

According to Basorun, the administration of Governor Fashola (SAN) had empowered 100 youths who participated in the Agric-YES, saying about N500 million loan facility would soon be granted to the beneficiaries to boost food production in the state.

He said N500 million credit facility for the last batch of participants in the programme "was ready. We will ensure that people will not go to the farm and later run away. This scheme is aimed bringing the interest of youths in agriculture. Every six months, we intend to graduate 100 youths who will be empowered to practice agriculture.

"We are also planning to embark on estate initiative for agricultural programme this year. We are discouraging individual allocation of land and encouraging estates. We have a fish farm estate in Ikorodu and we are looking at establishing a poultry estate where farmers can invest," he stated.

Commenting on rice production, Basorun said it has specifically suffered much setback as a result of unceasing rainfall and flood, which the permanent secretary attributed about 40 percent decline in the production.

He said the state "witnessed too much flooding in 2010 which affected rice production. There was lots of warming which went on in the northern hemisphere and brought in lots of moisture in our land".

But Basorun acknowledged that the rice production in the state had improved from 0.5 ton, which the permanent secretary said, the state used to produce before 2007 to a production of about 400 tons in 2010.

He said: "We expect to yield 600 tons of paddy (raw rice) rice annually. When processed, this can come up to about 400 tons of processed rice annually. This is equivalent to 8, 000 bags of rice per annum.

"Before our Rice for job programme started, the yield on our land was 500kg per hectare. Now we reap two tons of rice per hectare and that was when we were producing on 200 hectares. But the impact of global warming has been enormous. In 2009, about 40 percent of rice planted was lost to draught".

Basorun said the state government would target producing rice on 300 hectares of land this year as against the 200 hectares used last year, disclosing that the aim of the state government was to put in place ultra-modern rice factory before the end of the year.

He however unveiled the plan of the state government "to introduce technology adaptable to our environment to mitigate the impact of climate change. We have introduced machines and flood-resistant seeds to mitigate the effect of global warming. If we cannot increase production, we will not lose".

http://allafrica.com/stories/printable/201101270151.html

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG Spends N9bn Annually On 10-Aircraft Presidential Fleet / INEC On Partisan Campaign To Damage Jega's Reputation / Nairaland POLL: 2015 Presidential Election.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.