Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:41 AM

Japan Mourns As Funeral For Shinzo Abe Is Held In Tokyo (Photos) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Japan Mourns As Funeral For Shinzo Abe Is Held In Tokyo (Photos) (31436 Views)

Shinzo Abe: Buhari, World Leaders Pay Tribute To Slain Japan ex-PM / Shinzo Abe Has Died After Being Shot / The Moment Japan Ex-PM, Shinzo Abe Was Shot (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Japan Mourns As Funeral For Shinzo Abe Is Held In Tokyo (Photos) by LIVE08(m): 10:28am On Jul 12, 2022
Mourners lined the streets of central Tokyo on Tuesday to bid farewell to assassinated former Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe, as his hearse was driven past political landmarks after a private funeral.

The country’s longest-serving prime minister was gunned down on Friday while campaigning, in a crime that rattled Japan and prompted an outpouring of international condemnation and grief.

His funeral was held at Tokyo’s Zojoji temple on Tuesday, with relatives and close acquaintances in attendance.

But elsewhere in the temple compound, thousands of well-wishers lined up in the humid heat to pay their respects before a photo of the late leader, who held office until 2020.

“I can’t get over my sadness, so I came here to lay flowers and say a prayer,” consultant Tsukasa Yokawa, 41, told AFP, describing Abe as “a great prime minister who did a lot to elevate Japan’s presence” on the global stage.

After the service, a hearse carrying Abe’s body departed for a final tour of some of the political landmarks he served in throughout his career: the parliament, prime minister’s office, and headquarters of his ruling Liberal Democratic Party.

Outside each, staff and officials including ministers and senior LDP figures stood sombrely. They pressed their hands together and bowed their heads in respect as the car arrived.

Abe’s widow Akie sat in the front of the hearse, carrying her husband’s mortuary tablet inscribed with his posthumous Buddhist name, and bowed back.

Along the route from the temple to the site, residents gathered to offer prayers and take photographs of the former leader’s last procession.

Security flaws
Abe was campaigning in the western city of Nara when he was shot.

The murder suspect, 41-year-old Tetsuya Yamagami, is in custody and has told police he targeted Abe because he believed the politician was linked to an organisation he resented.

Yamagami approached him from behind in broad daylight, in circumstances that have raised questions about security.

Police searches of the suspect’s home have found pellets and other possible components for building a gun like the crude weapon used in the attack, Japanese media reported Tuesday, citing unnamed investigative sources.

Yamagami spent three years in Japan’s navy and reportedly told investigators that his mother’s large donations to a religious organisation had caused the family financial troubles.

The Unification Church, a global religious movement founded in Korea in the 1950s, said on Monday that Yamagami’s mother was a member, but did not comment on any donations she may have made.

Condolences pour in
Foreign Minister Yoshimasa Hayashi said Tuesday that more than 1,700 condolence messages had been received from 259 countries, territories and international bodies.

On Monday, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken made a previously unscheduled stop in Tokyo to pay tribute to Abe, describing him as a “man of vision.”

And Taiwanese Vice President William Lai was also in Tokyo for a surprise trip, Taiwanese media said.

The visit has the potential to anger Beijing, though Hayashi said Lai was travelling in a private capacity and there was no change to Japan’s policy on non-governmental working relations with Taiwan.

Public memorials for Abe are expected to be held at a later date.

Abe was the scion of a political family and became the country’s youngest post-war prime minister when he took power for the first time in 2006, aged 52.

He resigned two years ago at the end of his second stint after suffering health problems.

His hawkish, nationalist views were divisive, particularly his desire to reform the pacifist constitution, and he weathered a series of scandals, including allegations of cronyism.

But he was lauded by others for his economic strategy, dubbed “Abenomics”, and his efforts to put Japan firmly on the world stage, including by cultivating close ties with former US president Donald Trump.

https://guardian.ng/news/japan-mourns-as-funeral-for-former-pm-abe-held-in-tokyo/

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Japan Mourns As Funeral For Shinzo Abe Is Held In Tokyo (Photos) by LIVE08(m): 10:33am On Jul 12, 2022
More

2 Likes

Re: Japan Mourns As Funeral For Shinzo Abe Is Held In Tokyo (Photos) by adebwalex(m): 10:44am On Jul 12, 2022
So painful to be assasinated in such manner.. Very weak security personnel attach to him...

109 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Japan Mourns As Funeral For Shinzo Abe Is Held In Tokyo (Photos) by Africana1123(m): 10:51am On Jul 12, 2022
Rip

God protect my south east Biafra brother

Asiwaju bola Ahmed tinubu incoming president of federal republic of nigeria

Emilokan will protect all lives

Asiwaju 2023

32 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Japan Mourns As Funeral For Shinzo Abe Is Held In Tokyo (Photos) by ExplorerReturns(m): 10:53am On Jul 12, 2022
Farewell shinzo my guy. I so much like this man and Japan in general. I suspect the hands of China.
Automate your hotel room booking business and eliminate fraud with this complete hotel management system with ability of guests to make and pay for reservation online. Designed to make life easier for Nigeria hotel owners.

Also comes with an Android app and lots of features. Click the link on my signature for complete details and demo

18 Likes

Re: Japan Mourns As Funeral For Shinzo Abe Is Held In Tokyo (Photos) by bibianna(f): 10:56am On Jul 12, 2022
When you're loved and have done more great than harm to people, this is how the people and the world bids you farewell!

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japan Mourns As Funeral For Shinzo Abe Is Held In Tokyo (Photos) by Zelenskyy(m): 12:44pm On Jul 12, 2022
The same way Tinubu Urchins would Mourn
Tinubu when the Boko Haram Founder he Picked as VP finally Poison and Kill him.

Their Grand plan is to TAKEOVER Nigeria and the Drug Baron from Lagos is just a Pawn.

These Boko Haram Sympathizers see Tinubu as a Half Misguided Muslim and would get rid of him ASAP if elected.

They know the Man Tinubu is very sick and they are not willing and ready to allow a Sick Fake Muslim to Rule Over their Imaginary Caliphate.

When they Poison and Kill him, they would now blame his Sickness.

How can a supposed educated Tinubu be so Insensitivite, Reckless and Incompetent with his VP choice ?

Well Tinubu don buy market and he should write his Will if he has not done so.

Because Kasim Shetimma has the Boko Haram blood flowing in his veins and would kill Tinubu if Elected........ That is their Plan.

All well meaning Nigerians must Rise up against the EVIL Plans of these Boko Haram Sympathizers.

All well meaning Nigerians must Rise up and Vote against this Wickedness that Terrorists want to Unleash on Nigeria.

A Vote for The APC is a Vote for Boko Haram.

A Vote for the APC is a Vote for Terrorism.

A Vote for the APC is a Vote to Silence the Church and Islamize Nigeria.

Enough is Enough: APC must Go

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Japan Mourns As Funeral For Shinzo Abe Is Held In Tokyo (Photos) by seanwilliam(m): 12:45pm On Jul 12, 2022
Putin why
Re: Japan Mourns As Funeral For Shinzo Abe Is Held In Tokyo (Photos) by salbis(m): 12:45pm On Jul 12, 2022
From these pictures, i think to some extent the man is loved by his people. I wonder if this is possible at the demise of our thieving elites.

4 Likes

Re: Japan Mourns As Funeral For Shinzo Abe Is Held In Tokyo (Photos) by tillaman(m): 12:45pm On Jul 12, 2022
Rest In Peace Mr Abe

3 Likes

Re: Japan Mourns As Funeral For Shinzo Abe Is Held In Tokyo (Photos) by NwaNimo1(m): 12:45pm On Jul 12, 2022
'Japa' from Japan.....

[img]https://giffiles./216/216404.gif[/img]
Re: Japan Mourns As Funeral For Shinzo Abe Is Held In Tokyo (Photos) by Franking: 12:45pm On Jul 12, 2022
We need that sort of scenario here na.

3 Likes

Re: Japan Mourns As Funeral For Shinzo Abe Is Held In Tokyo (Photos) by ShenTeh(m): 12:46pm On Jul 12, 2022
He was a good man.

3 Likes

Re: Japan Mourns As Funeral For Shinzo Abe Is Held In Tokyo (Photos) by Rebirth212: 12:47pm On Jul 12, 2022
Wen BUBU turn go reach nah

6 Likes

Re: Japan Mourns As Funeral For Shinzo Abe Is Held In Tokyo (Photos) by stano2(m): 12:47pm On Jul 12, 2022
Rest In Peace…
So no brave person in Nigeria to replicate such here… kaiii.

1 Like

Re: Japan Mourns As Funeral For Shinzo Abe Is Held In Tokyo (Photos) by crackhouse(m): 12:47pm On Jul 12, 2022
RIP
Re: Japan Mourns As Funeral For Shinzo Abe Is Held In Tokyo (Photos) by DSC7: 12:47pm On Jul 12, 2022
Eeeeyyyaaa....

May Bubu Live Long if he is leading well...

1 Like

Re: Japan Mourns As Funeral For Shinzo Abe Is Held In Tokyo (Photos) by atobs4real(m): 12:47pm On Jul 12, 2022
So sad.
Insecurity every where
Re: Japan Mourns As Funeral For Shinzo Abe Is Held In Tokyo (Photos) by iykofias(m): 12:48pm On Jul 12, 2022
ExplorerReturns:
Farewell shinzo my guy. I so much like this man and Japan in general. I suspect the hands of China
your suspicion is as a result of your ignorance

3 Likes

Re: Japan Mourns As Funeral For Shinzo Abe Is Held In Tokyo (Photos) by Rexymania(m): 12:48pm On Jul 12, 2022
That should have been... bU
Re: Japan Mourns As Funeral For Shinzo Abe Is Held In Tokyo (Photos) by NaijaRoyalty(m): 12:48pm On Jul 12, 2022
ShenTeh:
He was a good man.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japan Mourns As Funeral For Shinzo Abe Is Held In Tokyo (Photos) by WIZGUY69(m): 12:48pm On Jul 12, 2022
Very painful.

3 Likes

Re: Japan Mourns As Funeral For Shinzo Abe Is Held In Tokyo (Photos) by anonymuz(m): 12:48pm On Jul 12, 2022
ExplorerReturns:
Farewell shinzo my guy. I so much like this man and Japan in general. I suspect the hands of China
shocked

Chinese are good in professionalism
Re: Japan Mourns As Funeral For Shinzo Abe Is Held In Tokyo (Photos) by Realists(m): 12:49pm On Jul 12, 2022
Terrorism is real & it can only breed hate.
Re: Japan Mourns As Funeral For Shinzo Abe Is Held In Tokyo (Photos) by BabaOfLagos: 12:50pm On Jul 12, 2022
adebwalex:
So painful to be assasinated in such manner.. Very weak security personnel attach to him...

Yes the security was weak,

But that's the standard over there...

When you have less insecurity issues, you don't need a crowd of security personnel around you...
For those who understands Basketball profits.. See the link below https://www.nairaland.com/7169675/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japan Mourns As Funeral For Shinzo Abe Is Held In Tokyo (Photos) by zoer(m): 12:50pm On Jul 12, 2022
So shame no dey catch you?..which school you attend?
Africana1123:
Rip

God protect my south east Biafra brother

Asiwaju bola Ahmed tinubu incoming president of federal republic of nigeria

Emilokan will protect all life

Asiwaju 2023

2 Likes

Re: Japan Mourns As Funeral For Shinzo Abe Is Held In Tokyo (Photos) by Benwallt(m): 12:50pm On Jul 12, 2022
That unfortunate crude being is spending the rest of miserable life behind bars
Re: Japan Mourns As Funeral For Shinzo Abe Is Held In Tokyo (Photos) by biggy00000(m): 12:50pm On Jul 12, 2022
adebwalex:
Did you see the video?
A wise one once said " if you hear the sound of a gunshot, calm down as the bullet is not meant for you"

5 Likes

Re: Japan Mourns As Funeral For Shinzo Abe Is Held In Tokyo (Photos) by IamWonderful: 12:50pm On Jul 12, 2022
Ok

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Russia Gives Ukrainian Troops At Azovstal steel plant 4pm Today To Surrender / U.S. Reaffirms Support For Two-state Solution ( Pix, Video) / 8-year-old Yemeni Bride Dies From Internal Bleeding On Wedding Night

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.