Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,548 members, 7,827,049 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:41 AM

Who Can Translate Yanga From Pidgin English To English - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Who Can Translate Yanga From Pidgin English To English (1552 Views)

Wedding Invitation In Pidgin English (Pictured) / Please Help Me Translate Thus Yoruba Message To English / Translate This Yoruba Words To English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Can Translate Yanga From Pidgin English To English by guobe: 5:07am On Jul 15, 2022
A kid asked me the meaning of yanga and since yesterday I have been cracking my head to know the meaning of yanga in English language.who has a better idea.
Re: Who Can Translate Yanga From Pidgin English To English by guobe: 5:16am On Jul 15, 2022
GreatVocalist:
Firstly, you don't “crack” your head or brain, you “rack” it.

To the question, when a person is “doing yanga or shakara”, it means they're:

Playing hard to get.
Prideful/proud
Haughty
Insolent, etc.

So the word, “yanga” as a noun means: pride, insolence, haughtiness, conceited, etc.

Hope this helps?
Nice one thanks.surely helps.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Can Translate Yanga From Pidgin English To English by guobe: 5:35am On Jul 15, 2022
GreatVocalist:

Playing hard to get.
Prideful/proud
Haughty
Insolent, etc.

So the word, “yanga” as a noun means: pride, insolence, haughtiness, conceited, etc.

Hope this helps?
on another thought if you say some one is doing yanga can you say someone is doing proud?
Re: Who Can Translate Yanga From Pidgin English To English by guobe: 5:38am On Jul 15, 2022
GreatVocalist:

Playing hard to get.
Prideful/proud
Haughty
Insolent, etc.
Shakara and yanga are two close pidgin English words and I feel proud is too formal for those words

Hope this helps?
Re: Who Can Translate Yanga From Pidgin English To English by Enskynelson(m): 5:41am On Jul 15, 2022
guobe:
on another thought if you say some one is doing yanga can you say someone is doing proud?
The doing in your sentence doesn't really mean the person is working rather, it indicates a state and hence it can be interpreted as being proud.
Re: Who Can Translate Yanga From Pidgin English To English by guobe: 5:44am On Jul 15, 2022
GreatVocalist:

No, I don't think so.

The statement does not have to be interpreted the exact way in English. The focus is on the word “yanga” in this context, not the phrase “doing yanga”. In other words, if “yanga” means “proud” in English, then “doing” in pidgin means “being” in English.

Therefore a person “doing yanga” is actually “being proud”.
okay thanks

(1) (Reply)

Why Does Female Expose Their Private Part. / Nvde Videos Of Two Nigerian Runs Girls Leaked By A Yahoo Boy (18+ Video) / Tots Of Women About Men And Vice Versa!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.