Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,513 members, 7,816,245 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:11 AM

Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? (25834 Views)

Should I Quit My 30k Job Or Continue And Hope For A Better Days / Second Class Upper At 26 Years of age, any hope securing a graduate trainee job. / My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by Drezinc(m): 9:28am On Jul 30, 2022
chatinent:
I go use pidgin. No vex.

True true, time go reach when administrative work go disappear unto say AI go take over. The takeover is already in place.

Tech is the future.

And e dey easy to learn now because na the basics. Soon, it will be expensive because of the demands.

But what I think?
It will always look difficult if we keep calling it technology. Technology is actually that skill everyone has. My dummy thoughts tho.

Did a voice over as an amateur for an Indian couple and they were wanting more. And I am like..with this my yeye voice? Hehe.

Tried virtual assistance..with a faster speed rate of delivering 10k words in a day. Employer asked how I did it. I no tell am. That's my secret...pay me.

Opened a website for a man running a candy shop in 20minutes, designed and functional. Dude was all surprised. First guy charged him $4000 for 3 weeks. I charged $2k for few minutes. You can guess the rest. No bi say I sabi pass the first person, no. But I only learn things with AI these days...it just makes works easier.

For instance, there's a tool to do everything you do in an office for a week in minutes. What's really the need visiting? You snap the paper, it converts to Word. It computes..provides options for charts and many more. Then why do humans suffer?

So I used to draw when I was lil. Like I draw well. But later, I found one tool where you put the original picture and it paints it like hand drawn. What I do, I freelanced with it. You can hardly tell... My secret? Simple tool! Faster delivery!

Everybody has a skill. Try doing the lil graphic design you know...it's money.

Even if na only pidgin you sabi translate to, visit sites and offer to translate their webpages to Nigerian pidgin. They may not pay you at first...yeah, work as an intern. They will add you to translation team. Na CV bi that for next paying jobs.

I'm proud to say I am a contributor and developer at Google. Oya ask me what I did. Na just to do survey and review. Offered to translate too. grin No bi say I kuma do anything self. But that batch that year, I was enlisted as a contributor. But you needed to see how I boosted with “Developer at Google” during my Fiverr days.

Same with Wikipedia. I helped edited some profile. My name enter team from Nigeria that year. grin It was in my freelance CV, trust me.

I'm sorry but I like money... genuine money tho.

Just do it right and yes, boast about it in your CV.

Everyone has a skill.

I know of a dude online who says he has no skill..but he sends potatoes as love notes to emotionally depressed folks. Dude is a freaking millionaire.

I believe every skill is technical. You just need to know to apply it to meet the audience.

So many ways to make money..but it requires consistency.

Did I forget? I think the analogue age hasn't really passed so far we remain a developing country.

So cashing out it easy until tomorrow.

I no dey too do webinar again..cos I have personal businesses to manage...pay me N100k make I dedicate one week put skill into you. Trust me, e no go affect your normal jobs.

No caps.

I sent you a PM. Please check let's talk.
Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by chatinent: 10:33am On Jul 30, 2022
Drezinc:

I sent you a PM. Please check let's talk.

Responded.
Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by Kpboy1: 9:17am On Jul 31, 2022
pocohantas:

Lmao. Last week I contacted this guy to come clean the house. You know, focus on what brings in money and delegate the little things. He told me he is going to church o. That he would come “next week Mon/Tue”. By 1am, I put on music, opened all the windows and cleaned everywhere myself. He started calling on Tuesday and I told him it is done.

Abeg, make she dey go church and wedding. But if she beg you for urgent 2k, feel free to change am for her. cheesy

I do follow your comments and they are particularly intriguing (though u go ballistic at times and it seems to soothe some nerves, am indifferent to it). Joined NL recently. Despite having self awareness and stable way of engaging issues, surprised you're vilified in some quaters rather than engaged in sane discussions.

Not typical of you, how and why did you engage a male domestic service. Pls share age and your thought process after factoring in security. He might become attracted to a mature and delectabled lady. More interesting you forgot the ego play except he's quite juvenile and should see you as "aunty figure". This ego discuss will trigger emotions, do kindly ignore. Regards

1 Like

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by pocohantas(f): 9:43am On Jul 31, 2022
Kpboy1:

I do follow your comments and they are particularly intriguing (though u go ballistic at times and it seems to soothe some nerves, am indifferent to it). Joined NL recently. Despite having self awareness and stable way of engaging issues, surprised you're vilified in some quaters rather than engaged in sane discussions.

Not typical of you, how and why did you engage a male domestic service. Pls share age and your thought process after factoring in security. He might become attracted to a mature and delectabled lady. More interesting you forgot the ego play except he's quite juvenile and should see you as "aunty figure". This ego discuss will trigger emotions, do kindly ignore. Regards

Not typical of me is what exactly? Do you know me from anywhere? Ego play where he is working and on a job he marketed himself for? If his ego comes into play, he would leave and I keep my money. It is not rocket science.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by Kpboy1: 12:10pm On Jul 31, 2022
pocohantas:

Not typical of me is what exactly? Do you know me from anywhere? Ego play where he is working and on a job he marketed himself for? If his ego comes into play, he would leave and I keep my money. It is not rocket science.

Oh okay. grin saw through emotional challenge(s) women face leading men, especially security risk in a domestic situation and confident you would have considered such...warm regards

1 Like

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by Iceyy(f): 8:19am On Aug 01, 2022
pocohantas:

You have spoken well.

Right here is one of the major reasons I stopped guiding. People think customer support is easy and many of them go for CS, but I have given 150 students 4 sample scenarios and NONE could come up with a professional response. But they all claimed to be CUSTOMER SERVICE PROS.
Hello Pocohontas, do you teach people on this? I would love to connect and learn from you. Do you mind if I pm you?

1 Like

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by pocohantas(f): 10:11am On Aug 01, 2022
Iceyy:
Hello Pocohontas, do you teach people on this? I would love to connect and learn from you. Do you mind if I pm you?

Good morning,

No, I don’t. You can visit this thread https://www.nairaland.com/6413405/upwork-thread-questions-advice

Thank you
Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by mafolayomi(f): 10:30am On Aug 01, 2022
VeryWickedMan:

Nigerians love wickedness cheesy grin

Please I will also like to work with you o. Something good for people that are not techy like me
Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by mafolayomi(f): 11:01am On Aug 01, 2022
Acidosis:

The essence of this thread...

You don't have to be in tech to earn this and even more.
Biko put me through as well.��
Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by Acidosis(m): 4:16pm On Aug 01, 2022
mafolayomi:

Biko put me through as well.��

My sister, I'm here to learn too lipsrsealed Check this page and the previous page. I think you'll find some useful links
Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by hellohgy(m): 8:20pm On Aug 01, 2022
johnpablo541:

Yes, writing still sells on Upwork, but the competition is very stiff right now. If you are new on Upwork it may take a while to land your first job. Be patient and keep submitting proposals.

Once you have had several hires it becomes easy, you wouldn't need to be submitting proposals that much anymore as you would start having repeat customers, and invitations to interviews.

Upwork is like the regular job market, only that it is remote, the clients are not there to dash anyone money, rather pay for your skills and work done, some do send tips though if they are very impressed with your world.

A friend of mine joined Upwork and I told her to learn the particular skill she wanted to sell, she said "it no hard jare."

She got her first interview within a few weeks and the client asked for a simple task, guess what she flopped. When she told me about it I had to look at what she did and I laughed, I told her that what she did was below average.

She was all about the money, she keeps asking, "how much do you make every week?"
I told her to calm down and focus on learning the desired skill and building a profile.

Then concerning your question on bank accounts, when I started, I was making withdrawals to my naija bank accounts, I no longer make use of that.

I now make use of Payoneer and USA virtual accounts, you can get them from Grey and Geegpay.

Here are a few useful tips, start small. Don't go and be charging $30/hr when you have no work experience on your profile.

Sometimes I do get some offers to write a simple letter for say $10 or $20. I still do it, it doesn't take more than 20 mins to do that, just check google for samples and edit them to the client's requirements.

A client once messaged me that he wanted to write a letter to a school in the USA to find out if they will consider him for their masters program, I got confused with the request, cos I felt even someone in secondary school should be able to write a letter to ask an institution such questions.

I just sha wrote the letter and sent to him, dude was super-excited.

So start small, and focus on building your profile, the money part is important but it should not be the only thing you focus on for now.

Thank you for this perfect and wonderful reply!.

1 Like

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by JapaProf: 8:35pm On Aug 01, 2022
From Copywriting to UX Writing to Technical Writing

The opportunities are limitless

2 Likes

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by EMEKAodogwu1: 7:36pm On Aug 03, 2022
You can do any work online, the budding one now is teaching

1 Like

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by NawtyC001(m): 1:12am On Aug 04, 2022
johnpablo541:

Well spoken, then a lot of us Nigerians have poor work ethics. I had this friend i used to share gigs with when i have too much on my hand.

After a while she started giving excuses why she couldn't do the job, she will call me later in the evening that she had church program and they didn't close on time, or have one marriage or occasion she wants to attend.

Can I chat you privately?
Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by ewa20buredi100: 7:47am On Aug 04, 2022
pocohantas:

I am not in tech and I have netted way more than that in a month. So which one is I better learn tech? I won’t learn it even at gunpoint. They can’t pressure me.
https://www.nairaland.com/7261673/how-lucrative-it-courses

Please what is your take on this.

Thank you
Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by ewa20buredi100: 7:49am On Aug 04, 2022
chatinent:

Responded.

Please what is you take on this?

Thank you
Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by ewa20buredi100: 7:51am On Aug 04, 2022
SmartyPants:

It's not about hard work.

1. For content writing, Nigerians generally don't write that well. Africans in general. You can find many large companies with several Nigerian programmers but not one single Nigerian writer despite the fact that there are more writers than programmers in Nigeria. Even a few reasonably successful Nigerian writers I've come across still have visible room for improvement.

2. I don't know why there aren't many Nigerians in customer support and design jobs. It could be that most Nigerians don't even know that these jobs are available.

Please your input.
Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by ewa20buredi100: 7:53am On Aug 04, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
There's a lot. You could be a Salesforce admin. You could do marketing automation with tools like Salesforce marketing cloud or pardot. Their certifications are very highly valued. An entry level job in those fields will pay you more than even some senior devs in Nigeria sef and there's so much demand out there's it's so crazy. Research on tech platforms and no code tools there's always an administrative side to it which absolutely no programmer wants to use and touch and get good at those administrative tasks. Get insanely good and extremely dangerous and watch your fortunes change.

Please your counsel is highly appreciated

Thank you
Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by ewa20buredi100: 7:57am On Aug 04, 2022

Cc DrLevi, truthsayer009, Truth234, The5DME

Thank you
Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by johnpablo541(m): 10:45am On Aug 04, 2022
NawtyC001:

Can I chat you privately?

Kindly ask your questions here, someone else may learn learn from it.
Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by Foxie: 5:58pm On Aug 04, 2022
EMEKAodogwu1:
You can do any work online, the budding one now is teaching
Kindly shed more light, thanks
Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by ThiagoKid(m): 5:58pm On Aug 05, 2022
chatinent:

Responded.
Hello, Chatinent. Trust you are faring good, from your end?

Yes, please; (1) I would like to seek your indulgence that pertains the apps newbies in writing can make use of; to develop proficiency in that field.

(2) As the spirit leads, perhaps; I would be elated if you have any word of advice, suggestions, etc for persons in such niche (writing).

Thank you, much.
Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by chatinent: 9:20pm On Aug 05, 2022
ThiagoKid:
Hello, Chatinent. Trust you are faring good, from your end?

Yes, please; (1) I would like to seek your indulgence that pertains the apps newbies in writing can make use of; to develop proficiency in that field.

(2) As the spirit leads, perhaps; I would be elated if you have any word of advice, suggestions, etc for persons in such niche (writing).

Thank you, much.

Major: Grammarly, Turnitin, Ms Word. Make sure all tools are premium.

Reference tools: Google Scholar, Semantic Scholar, Pub Med, Mendeley.

Enjoy your freelance world.

1 Like

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by ThiagoKid(m): 10:03pm On Aug 05, 2022
chatinent:

Major: Grammarly, Turnitin, Ms Word. Make sure all tools are premium.

Reference tools: Google Scholar, Semantic Scholar, Pub Med, Mendeley.

Enjoy your freelance world.
You are appreciated. I received value. Thank you!

Modified:

After checking on play store, seem Pub Med is more of medical research related?
Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by Raalsalghul: 3:46am On Aug 06, 2022
pocohantas:

Do you know these roles please?

Type it careers without coding into YouTube search box.

You should get some information with the search results.
Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by Penguin2: 5:08pm On Aug 08, 2022
johnpablo541:

Yes, writing still sells on Upwork, but the competition is very stiff right now. If you are new on Upwork it may take a while to land your first job. Be patient and keep submitting proposals.

Once you have had several hires it becomes easy, you wouldn't need to be submitting proposals that much anymore as you would start having repeat customers, and invitations to interviews.

Upwork is like the regular job market, only that it is remote, the clients are not there to dash anyone money, rather pay for your skills and work done, some do send tips though if they are very impressed with your world.

A friend of mine joined Upwork and I told her to learn the particular skill she wanted to sell, she said "it no hard jare."

She got her first interview within a few weeks and the client asked for a simple task, guess what she flopped. When she told me about it I had to look at what she did and I laughed, I told her that what she did was below average.

She was all about the money, she keeps asking, "how much do you make every week?"
I told her to calm down and focus on learning the desired skill and building a profile.

Then concerning your question on bank accounts, when I started, I was making withdrawals to my naija bank accounts, I no longer make use of that.

I now make use of Payoneer and USA virtual accounts, you can get them from Grey and Geegpay.

Here are a few useful tips, start small. Don't go and be charging $30/hr when you have no work experience on your profile.

Sometimes I do get some offers to write a simple letter for say $10 or $20. I still do it, it doesn't take more than 20 mins to do that, just check google for samples and edit them to the client's requirements.

A client once messaged me that he wanted to write a letter to a school in the USA to find out if they will consider him for their masters program, I got confused with the request, cos I felt even someone in secondary school should be able to write a letter to ask an institution such questions.

I just sha wrote the letter and sent to him, dude was super-excited.

So start small, and focus on building your profile, the money part is important but it should not be the only thing you focus on for now.
Please what do you know about proofreading?
Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by Casan0va: 8:03pm On Aug 08, 2022
chatinent:
I go use pidgin. No vex.

True true, time go reach when administrative work go disappear unto say AI go take over. The takeover is already in place.

Tech is the future.

And e dey easy to learn now because na the basics. Soon, it will be expensive because of the demands.

I no dey too do webinar again..cos I have personal businesses to manage...pay me N100k make I dedicate one week put skill into you. Trust me, e no go affect your normal jobs.

No caps.

I sent you a PM
Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by paragon40(m): 6:04pm On Aug 09, 2022
folake4u:

Even some Lawyers, Accountants and Doctors are transitioning into Tech because it is what is trending now.
Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by paragon40(m): 6:50pm On Aug 09, 2022
Jobia:
There are some remote opportunities for corporate lawyers sha
Such as? Please say more about this.
Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by DukkyBB: 7:52pm On Aug 11, 2022
Freelance Writer Wanted

Job Type: Independent

Company Overview
Our platform which commenced operations in March 2022, was birthed to help provide African women with the information, and resources they require to build successful careers and businesses. We are able to provide this support through our blog and various social media channels
The Position
• We are searching for an experienced freelance writer to generate content for our blog.
• To ensure success as a freelance writer, you should be accustomed to working with various word processors.
• The ideal candidate will be able to tailor their writing style to accommodate the needs of our target audience.
Key Responsibilities
• Conduct research in line with the topic you have been assigned to write on.
• Writing quality content based on the requirements and specifications of the audience and topic given (tone of voice, writing style).
• Proofreading your assignments to detect and correct errors.
• You are welcome to suggest innovative ideas and topics that suit our demographic.
• Ensure that the content is ready for publication within the specified deadlines.
• Submitting completed works via the requisite channels.

Required competencies
• Bachelor’s Degree in Mass Communication, English Literature, Journalism, or a relevant field would be ideal but not necessary.
• 1-3 years experience working as a freelance writer.
• Proven records of published work (mandatory).
• The ideal team member can work independently with minimal supervision.
• Familiarity with content management systems (CMS) such as WordPress is ideal but not required.
• Ability to express effectively in the English language.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to produce original work.
• Knowledge or familiarity with virtual collaborative tools such as Google Drive and Trello is an added advantage.
• Ability to meet deadlines and prioritize tasks.
• Excellent listening skills.
• Excellent time management skills.

Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should click on this URL to apply https://forms.gle/hBgwJqwvSqcqeJDw5.
Note: Due to a high volume of applications, please understand that we cannot contact every one and will only be reaching out to short-listed applicants who meet the minimum qualifications.
Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Aug 12, 2022
Hamza05:

Hello what are the remote opportunities available for corporate lawyers, I’ll appreciate if you show me the light��
sign up on LinkedIn and filter the job sections with your desired keywords. You'd see remote ones and their locations.
Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by gambia(m): 8:21pm On Aug 15, 2022
airsaylongcome:

I can not applaud you enough. You see that tech support role you mentioned, loads of non-techies can use that as their entry route.

About starting pay, tech support for entry-level competence working for a US company should be about $15/hr. $8-$10 for Europe.

Another key point, anyone looking to get remote should get their Domiciliary accounts sorted ahead. Even if na $0 dey the account, get it sorted ahead. And if possible, open in USD, EUR and GBP simultaneously

Hello, please can you mentor on the tech support role? I have the passion to learn.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Cripple Cobbler Gets A New Wheel-chair (photos) / A Female Nigeria Painter Showcase Her Skills Prove That She Is Not Lazy / How Do I Handle My Female Colleague?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.