Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,557 members, 7,812,781 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:15 PM

Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll (12377 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Feel The SE Isn't Politically Relevant? / Nigeria’s Economy Under Buhari Worse Than 10 Years Ago: World Bank / Pat Utomi: Fulanis Made Me Rich, They Did More For Me Than My Own People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll by dre11(m): 7:47am On Aug 03, 2022
Nigeria is the country with the fourth highest proportion of people who report feeling less safe than five years ago, languishing behind only Lebanon, Afghanistan, and Venezuela.

By Kabir Yusuf

While President Muhammadu Buhari of Nigeria repeatedly claims that security has improved under his administration, a new poll shows that the majority of Nigerians feel less safe than they did five years ago.

The report – World Risk Pollshows that three in five Nigerians (61 per cent) feel less safe than they did five years ago. The report was authored by Lloyd’s Register Foundation, an independent global charity working to engineer a safer world.

The organisation gathered data from 125,000 people in 121 countries in order to get a global picture of the risk landscape, examining people’s experiences and perceptions of commonly faced risks, from pandemics and climate change to work-related accidents and road traffic collisions.

“Our aim is to help governments, regulators, inter-governmental bodies, businesses, NGOs, communities, and researchers use the findings to inform and target policies and interventions that save lives and help people feel safer,” the foundation said.

“We also intend the World Risk Poll to encourage other organisations to partner with us to create programmes and initiatives that help tackle the issues raised.”

According to the data – collected in 2021 – Nigeria is the country with the fourth highest proportion of people who report feeling less safe than five years ago, languishing behind only Lebanon, Afghanistan, and Venezuela.

At 61 per cent, this number has increased by a dramatic 26 percentage points since the last World Risk Poll in 2019, when 35 per cent of Nigerians reported feeling less safe.

While the Covid-19 pandemic may have played a role, the reasons behind this increase are likely linked to the country experiencing a wave of crime and violence in 2021 that included terrorism and kidnappings, the report said.

This is reflected in the poll results, with half (50 per cent) of the 1,000 Nigerians polled saying they, or someone they know, have experienced serious harm from violent crime in the past two years. This is more than double the number in 2019 when this figure stood at 22 per cent.

“The results from Nigeria are very concerning,” said Sarah Cumbers, Director of Evidence and Insight at Lloyd’s Register Foundation. “Amid a global pandemic, the continued fear of those we polled shows that greater action must be taken to improve safety.

“It’s worth noting that, although the violent crime was the biggest perceived threat to safety, other areas, including road or traffic accidents and severe weather also scored highly,” she said.

“Globally, especially in regions that already face widespread poverty and instability, governments and other policymakers must work with communities to build strategies to protect people from future pandemics that also account for the other risks they may now find themselves even more vulnerable to.”

Other safety risks Nigerians feel ‘very worried’ about include road or traffic accidents (59 per cent), severe weather (49 per cent), and the work they do (37 per cent).

Significantly, all areas of risk that Nigerians were polled about in 2019 saw an increase in responses of people feeling very worried in 2021.

Among the report’s most insightful findings is the fact that Covid-19 only ranks fourth among respondents’ most named threats – though the report also highlights growing concerns surrounding climate change and mental health, as well as a global underestimation of work-related harm risks.

About the report

For this second edition of the poll, the researchers conducted around 125,000 interviews in 121 countries last year, gathering insight from people around the world, including those living in places where little or no official data on safety and risk exists.

Spread across four themed reports, the poll covers the biggest risks facing people and communities globally, ranging from road crashes, severe weather, climate change, and disaster resilience, to work-related harm, violence, harassment at work, and use of personal data.

The study builds on the results from the inaugural poll in 2019 and explores how the relationship between perception and experience of risk may have shifted over time, including differences before and after the start of the Covid-19 pandemic.

It also provides an understanding of how demographic factors contribute to different groups of people worrying about, and experiencing risks, in different ways.

The foundation hopes that the research will be repeated at least two more times, in 2023 and 2025.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/546476-majority-of-nigerians-feel-less-safe-than-they-did-five-years-ago-report.html

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll by ThrownBack: 7:48am On Aug 03, 2022
Only im Nigeria will terrorists be ruling in some local governments while the president travels to give security lectures in Liberia.

If it happens in any other country, you will be impeached same day, and maybe the president will get a job in Liberia and stay there to train gatemen on how to push the gate.

130 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll by Lawlab254: 7:49am On Aug 03, 2022
robinso01:
And there was a time Nigeria was one of the safest country in the world, but now, reverse is the case

When was that please?

2 Likes

Re: Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll by Zonefree(m): 7:51am On Aug 03, 2022
. languishing behind only Lebanon, Afghanistan, and Venezuela.

See countries we're competing with cry

E no go better for APC!

127 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll by robinso01(m): 7:52am On Aug 03, 2022
And there was a time Nigeria was one of the safest country in the world, but now, reverse is the case

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll by Maxymilliano(m): 7:55am On Aug 03, 2022
According to the data – collected in 2021 – Nigeria is the country with the fourth highest proportion of people who report feeling less safe than five years ago, languishing behind only Lebanon, Afghanistan, and Venezuela.
How else could ordinary Nigerians have felt if our lawmakers can be forced to proceed on 2 month vacation with the minority leader, Elumelu advising his colleagues to go back to their constituency if possible, as Abuja is longer safe.

Buhari has really let down majority of Nigerians who thought having a retired military general as president will put an end to the country economic and security woes.

6 Likes

Re: Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll by Penguin2: 8:05am On Aug 03, 2022
It’s not “majority of Nigerians”…

It’s “all Nigerians”.

Because even Buhari dey dodge him head like this.

Consequences of the disaster Tinubu foisted on Nigerians.

26 Likes

Re: Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll by SmellyNyash: 8:08am On Aug 03, 2022
Oga it's 100 percent

And they are trying to bring in another calamity and disaster

Some Nigerians don't deserve good things of life

116 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll by Gandollaar(f): 8:09am On Aug 03, 2022
That's very true. No where is safe, not even the airways.
Soon, they will start shooting down aircrafts because they have the means to do so.

We have fulanis and their collaborators to thank for such a beautiful situation.

109 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll by posty56: 8:48am On Aug 03, 2022
thanks to buhari and his Muslim brothers ,Fulani have the freedom to do anyhow as they want,yet some stupid Nigerians want to vote for another disaster

256 Likes 55 Shares

Re: Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll by Prettylima(f): 8:48am On Aug 03, 2022
100 percent true only God can help us lik this in case you need a carton for export or to package your goods and product that's what we good at

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll by ekukeku(m): 8:49am On Aug 03, 2022
UNEMPLOYMENT IS D BIGGEST THREAT TO OUR SECURITY SYSTEM.
MOST OF D EMPLOYEE WORK BECAUSE W WANT TO SURVIVE

2023 should be d end of dis people who thought we can only shout online & can't act
Let's use our pvc to flog Dem out

1 Like

Re: Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll by Coldie(m): 8:49am On Aug 03, 2022
Dss would go after this guy for this article
Re: Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll by christm386: 8:49am On Aug 03, 2022
As a concerned Nigeria, please can tinubu supporters tell me the exact projects tinubu did in Lagos

138 Likes 40 Shares

Re: Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll by Tribal: 8:49am On Aug 03, 2022
Thanks so much. I already clicked your Profile Signature Link and Joined.
YorubaYouth247:
❤‍PRAY for ALL Yoruba Land and Yoruba People!❤‍
YUI Prayer TIME:*10:00PM Every Wednesday*
TOPIC: CREATOR of Humanity, Please Forgive Us our Sins and the Sins of our Forefathers in Yoruba Land and Unite Us To Always Permanently Win over Invaders and Over All Enemies of Yoruba People

How are you Sirs and Mas? Today is YUI Prayer Day for ALL Yoruba Land. No money involved, this is the least that you and I can easily do for Yoruba Land for the sake of our Children because Praying Together, without any myopic secret intention to dominate, produces United Peaceful Land. And Peaceful Land of United Free People is guaranteed to make transformational Progress to become a Nation.

Religion doesn't matter where true Love and Brotherliness is held Supreme. Whether Islam, Traditionalists or Christianity, when we Unite to Call on the CREATOR of Humanity with sincere Hearts of Love towards one another as a People, HE Answers Speedily and Grants what we want for our Yoruba Land.

You could have been born in China, or in Saudi Arabia/Rome, or as an American. My CREATOR who is same as your CREATOR did Not make mistake by sending you and I here to Yoruba Land to be born as Yorubas with Yoruba Blood supremely Bonding us from Heaven as True Brothers and Sisters. Only incorrigibly foolish brothers and sisters would priortize Politics, Tradition, Region, Money or any other thing above the Bond of Divine Love(Uniting Blood) that United us from the CREATOR of Humanity.

Yorubaness is the Readiness to do everything to make ALL Yoruba Lives better: This comes first before any other thing. We learn every other things on Earth, the one that we are 1million % Sure of from Heaven is that it was not a Mistake that we Yorubas were Not born into different Countries/Tribes/Races. This is the undeniable Superior TRUTH above Politics, Religion, Tradition, Money, etc.

Wise People/Tribe become greatest among Humanity because they Accepted and Priortize the UNITING Done by the CREATOR Himself as being unnegotiably Supreme and Superior to unitings we humans met on Earth. Our CREATOR Supremely bonded us together from Heaven to come and Protect, Support, Defend, Uplift, Love and be Useful for one another as Yorubas on Earth and it would be extremely foolish to get on Earth and then priortize Money, Religion, Tradition, Politics, etc. over the Yoruba Blood that Unitedly flows in us. It is time to choose Genuine Wisdom of indivisible Uniting Yoruba Love for the sake of our Children and unborn Yoruba Generations.

Please, as soon as it is 10:00PM Tonight, let's post Prayers for ALL Yoruba People and Yoruba Land here in Yoruba Unity International Forum and on every Social Media such as Your Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. Your Children are guaranteed to Reap the Rewards as You Post Prayers for Yoruba Land Publicly. The more Souls Read it, the more it is Registered in Heaven as your Divine Investment for the Land, Remember what the Holy Book says about that, so you are doing yourself far much more Favour when You Pray for Yoruba Land. You can also copy this Post and Paste an all Social Media to wake all Yorubas Up!

May the CREATOR of Heaven and Earth preserve our Lives to see all our good Visions and Dreams for Yoruba Land come to reality soonest. STRICTLY for Yorubas: To Join YUI, simply Click my Profile Signature Link.

Let Love Lead. As some truly wise ones are already doing, Non-Yorubas and Yorubas alike can also Read and Comment Prayers for Yoruba Land on this Thread: https://www.nairaland.com/7261325/pray-yoruba-land

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll by Dubaku543: 8:49am On Aug 03, 2022
Yes
That is why most people are tribalistic when it comes to politics in Nigeria. They feel safer having their own brother on seat even if he is a devil devoid of competence.

I AM BLATANTLY SAYING IT WITHOUT MINCING WORDS THE MOST COMPETENT AND KNOWLEDGEABLE INDIVIDUAL TO STIR THE AFFAIRS OF THIS COUNTRY AMONGST THE TOP FOUR CONTESTANTS IS MR. PETER GREGORY OBI FOLLOWED BY KWANKWASO!! TAKE IT TO THE BANK!

Anything bereft of these two, Nigerians shall feel even worse and less safe than ever of this upcoming heat!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll by Atarakpa: 8:49am On Aug 03, 2022
They are right on this one . But my six year old son CAn boldly say this in public.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll by kelvyn7: 8:49am On Aug 03, 2022
shocked
Re: Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll by IboHausaYoruba: 8:49am On Aug 03, 2022
Hmmn! I was banned for good 3 weeks on Nairaland. Can't reply or create messages, can't even click like. What's my offence? I demonstrated my franchise as a responsible citizen by being Obidient, that was my sin. Since one can no longer publicly support any candidate of his choice on Nairaland. I think it's time for me to give up on this country. Since this platform is owned by a Yoruba, there is a secret scheming going on here to suppress, oppress and coarse everyone to eat 'Agbado and Cassava' by fire by force.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll by emmabest2000(m): 8:49am On Aug 03, 2022
Nigeria is a war zone

139 Likes 41 Shares

Re: Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll by Dailymice: 8:49am On Aug 03, 2022
sad
Re: Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll by Nackzy: 8:49am On Aug 03, 2022
Facts, 8 years ago was preaching against voting buhari, a lot of them attacked me on Nairaland, but today i see them no more, who knows if some of Buhari supporters are even dead as a result of hardship and insecurity brought upon Nigerians by Buhari and his useless supporters,

Message to Peter Obi, incase you become the president (which i know corrupt Nigerians will not allow that to happen,) pls don't disappoint your supporters like Buhari did

14 Likes

Re: Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll by Sucre6: 8:49am On Aug 03, 2022
Even blind man can literally see this one, sooth saying not needed here lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll by GamalNasser: 8:49am On Aug 03, 2022
Nigerian handed over power to elements of ISWAP on a platter I tell U

1 Like

Re: Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll by EKONGKING: 8:50am On Aug 03, 2022
The Zoo is not even fit for animals to stay talk less of humans.
Let the drug lord be the president of the zoo and Yoruba and fulani should continue their love affair and rule the zoo .

1 Like

Re: Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll by Oddfinder001: 8:50am On Aug 03, 2022
Tinubu wants to continue from where buhari stopped..
Nigerians, the future is in our hands

3 Likes

Re: Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll by ogaontop(m): 8:50am On Aug 03, 2022
Shame on to Tinubu and co. for giving us the tragic Buhari and still want to continue where he stopped!

2 Likes

Re: Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll by princepeter566: 8:50am On Aug 03, 2022
All Nigerians not majority.
Even buhari is afraid of his boys right now. Since they said they will kidnapp him and El rufai
Re: Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll by LagbajaTheBEREAN: 8:50am On Aug 03, 2022
Particularly if you're holed up north.
Re: Majority Of Nigerians Feel Less Safe Than They Did 5 Years Ago – World Risk Poll by abumeinben(m): 8:50am On Aug 03, 2022
Did I just read majority? If the presidential brigade was hit, it's no longer majority. It's more than that. Even the president has repeatedly confess that he wants to leave.

I yield the mic to Lai Mohammed

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Shell To Sell Nigeria Onshore Oil Business For $1.3 Billion / Okorocha's ADC Beats Policeman To Coma / Celebrities And Policemen Protest Against Gender Based Violence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.