Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,552 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:09 AM

Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") (2046 Views)

BBM For PC Download, Blackberry Messenger For Windows7/8/vista Computer / Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance / Hp Deskjet D2360 Driver For Windows Vista (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by Niggy(m): 12:18pm On Jul 05, 2005
Originally: The release of  a new Windows "Longhorn"

Hi guys, I'd like to thank the contributors to my previous post  "Linux or Windows Operating System" especially jogego, lol.

Yeah, Microsoft just been battling with beta releases of Windows Longhorn.  I got the CD and installed it on my system.  Hmm it's nice but for the moment slow with lots of bugs and crashes (mind you it's still a beta version).  If you need more detail go to the Microsoft website (you won't get much anyway) or forums (here you get much + truth).  Or try www.microsoft-watch.com.

After installation, which took an hour one my p3 800mhz, I don't see much in the graphical interface but really there were lot of changes (I mean it).  It's different from XP's GUI.  I tripped for the bootscreen and logon, good work!

Actually I just got some tweak guides which can correct the slowness (I'm yet to experiment).
funny enough there is a software (longhorn tranformation pack 10.5) that upgrade your windows xp to longhorn. I tried it and it worked.

Longhorn is still in beta release and not downloadable, but thanks to a foreign forum friend, I was given a link for the download www.dannybeckett.co.uk/downloads  The site is passworded, so if interested contact me for the password (free).

According to the news in www.msbetas.org, "Microsoft has brought back veteran product closer, Chris Jones to run the Longhorn beta. Chris Jones was one of the primary forces behind getting Whistler (Windows XP) out the door. He replaces Joe Peterson in managing Longhorn's day to day movement towards release.

"Chris Jones…was brought back from COSD to save the (Longhorn) product," said one source. Longhorn has seen a number of features removed during its beta journey including WinFS, the Business Framework, the Side bar, the scripted shell, and other elements. Longhorn is currently scheduled for release in mid-2006. The first public beta is due out this Summer"

My advice for Microsoft is to throw the Longhorn Project open like Linux and let the Linux gurus solve their problem.
I love Linux!
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by shockreaction(m): 12:33pm On Jul 05, 2005
Longhorn looks interesting. I've read up a lot about it, and following up on the news. However, I won't bother installing any of the betas due to the reasons cited above a la slow with lots of bugs and crashes.

Oh yeah, http://www.microsoft.com/windows/longhorn/default.mspx too.
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by Niggy(m): 1:19pm On Jul 05, 2005
@shockreaction, i never instend to sound like dat, but it worth a try. try longhorn if u want n let me know ur view. bt remember to backup ur data( u r WARNED!)
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by jogego(m): 2:24pm On Jul 05, 2005
first off, will device drivers which work in XP work in longhorn?Knowing how XP SP2 was bungled up, and the fact that windows XP drivers do not work in XP 64bit edition, dont hold your breath. Maybe for testing to see how it looks but to be honest, for everyday desktop use? Me thinks not
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by Niggy(m): 2:36pm On Jul 05, 2005
yeah my system board drivers still work for longhorn, only thru upgrading and not on clickin the .exe icon. when i click on the setup.exe icon i get an error of incompartibility. so i went to my device manager and did an upgrade. with dat my device driver was up and running
cheers!
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by jogego(m): 2:50pm On Jul 05, 2005
By device drivers I mean peripherals you use, sound, web cams, scanners, network cards, printers, bluetooth etc. DO they all work?
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by Niggy(m): 2:54pm On Jul 05, 2005
yeah man,dt's what i' m talkin about. u know most modern motherboard driver cd has auto setup which automatically installs all the device drivers. dat doesn't work for the longhorn i installed. u ve to do a device update from the control panel n specify the location of the driver folder.
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by Hunter(m): 1:57pm On Jul 07, 2005
which build were you using? 5048 isn't very good compared to 4074 because they took stuff out when they switched code bases.
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by Niggy(m): 3:12pm On Jul 07, 2005
i'm still using the 4051. i wz downloading the 5048 illegally from a site bt for now the site is temporarily out. my 4051 suffered another crash yesterday. i think window has alot of joy to do to stabilize the code.
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by jogego(m): 7:28pm On Jul 07, 2005
Personally, I can't imagine running a Windows system. Anyhow, most of the stuff being touted in Longhorn, especially the desktop search, has been implemeted in the new Mac OS. By the time it finally comes out, it won't be cutting edge again.
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by Niggy(m): 4:17pm On Jul 15, 2005
there is this question concerning the GUI of longhorn compared to XP. i notice they ve reduced the color brightness of the gui which sucks up some system resources. huh dt's wise. Much of the system resources n memory are required to have a good windows xp GUI interface to run smooth.
There are many features formerly proposed to be in the longhorn which are now being dropped in order to make the system stable and faster. you can read more new online. you can hv a look at some some screenshots here.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-487.96.html
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by Chxta(m): 7:01pm On Jul 15, 2005
jogego:

Personally, I can't imagine running a Windows system. Anyhow, most of the stuff being touted in Longhorn, especially the desktop search, has been implemeted in the new Mac OS. By the time it finally comes out, it won't be cutting edge again.

Exactly. Microsoft are so slow, that it makes one wonder how they became the world's prima dona.
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by WhiteBaby(m): 1:54am On Jul 20, 2005
All I can say is that Microsoft is .......... (surprise surprise) Microsoft. The single most important change Microsoft ever made was Windows 95. Since then, thev'e not really done anything spectacular, apart from create more spectacular and annoying BSODs (Blue Screen Of Death, for the uninformed). I plan to introduce an appreciable number of Nigerians to GNU/Linux, and it's my firm belief that with a distro like Debian, Windows and Longhorn and Shorttail rolleyes are in a big pot of soup.

Anybody needing Debian, or Mandrake or Kanotix contact me !!
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by hotangel2(f): 7:25am On Jul 20, 2005
You have a thing for computers niggy, right?
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by rufaai(m): 10:59pm On Jul 21, 2005
Oh Men,

LongHorn is quite nice, but requires more. You people with facing the problem with slowness of your computer.

Its because Win LongHornTM requires Pentium IV and Above with the minimum frequency of 1000Hz or Above.

LongHornTM is fantastic, with colourfull bacgrounds and transparent window; that enable you to view your desktop without minimizing or closing your window. Its really great, Check it out online

You need to have a better computer to use LongHornTM.
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by rufaai(m): 11:10pm On Jul 21, 2005
Hey Niggy,

Thats not fear to ask people to contact your for the passphrase, why dont you post it on the forum? infact Forget it.

If anyone wants to download the LongHornTM Transformation Pack 10.5 can go to this address

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Longhorn-Transformation-Pack-To-the-Ultimate-Transforming.shtml

Wish you nice time with longHorn, Though it only make your Windows XP look like the upcoming Microsoft Longhorn?

By the way, you better know it that Win LongHornTM Has not been realeased yet by Microsft, It will be released soon by 2006.
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by Niggy(m): 11:29am On Jul 22, 2005
@rufaai, well i must say u are under-informed about longhorn. longhorn is not offically released but u can get it(illegal), more precisely i got it. the longhorn transformation themes just gives u a feel of longhorn not longhorn and it's not really close to the real longhorn look. ive used both so i know what's up! also with the trans theme ur system becomes unstable and if u don't know how to go around the installation u end up crashing ur system . the installation is not as easy as normal theme installation. though readme is provided, au may people read the readme before proceeding with an installation. just be careful when installing the trans theme, even the theme creator warns u also, he claim not to be responsible for crash or lost of data,so idid going to say BACK UP YOUR DATA!
the first time i tried the version 9 my system crashed! i hd to do a reinstallation and master the instalation b4 proceeding and i must say again, it does n't have the full theme of longhorn. try long horn itself and see what 'm saying.
longhorn isnot a new release as it seems, they ve been at it since 2002. and many versions have been out, the present iscode 5048 or so.
i ve a p2p group that shares softwares. here i got the longhorn prerelease, even the macintosh os which is claimed not to be downloadable is available(illegal), mandriva 2006, and even longhorn 2006(illegal).
rufaai, try and be updated
pls note the illegal stressed!
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by hotangel2(f): 11:31am On Jul 22, 2005
Niggy?!?! Are you a computer expert or what?>? It's one thing to have a thing for computers, and it's another thing to be Bill Gate (II) the second
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by Niggy(m): 11:39am On Jul 22, 2005
@hot-angel, au are you?
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by hotangel2(f): 7:23pm On Jul 22, 2005
i am fine. smiley
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by jogego(m): 8:45pm On Jul 22, 2005
Longhorn revealed to be named vista for release

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx

and as to why the choice of the name Vista?

http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_Explains_Windows_Vista_Name/1122056208
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by Niggy(m): 9:08am On Jul 25, 2005
since longhorn has suffered lots of disappointments microsofts decided to change the name to windows vista. people from a particular country which i can't remember now have claimed vista to mean chicken in their language, so they call it "windows chicken"
i think i still prefer the name longhorn to this vista of a thing.
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by Niggy(m): 12:18pm On Jul 25, 2005
Mid day news:

Microsoft's next-gen operating system shed its codename early Friday when Microsoft posted a 68-second video message on its website that had the sole purpose of introducing the name of the final product: The software will be called "Windows Vista"
Microsoft associates the terms "clear", "confident" and "connected" with the new operating system, hinting to arious new features of the software - including a new graphics engine, more multimedia capabilities, improved organization of information, more security, and easier to use networking features for various devices around the house.

The first beta version of the software is heading towards IT professionals and developers on August 3, according to Microsoft. The final product will be released in the Summer 2006 timeframe, which will be preceded by at least one release candidate (RC) and a second beta, which is rumored to become available sometime in November of this year.

According to Microsoft, the video message was taped at a recent briefing for the firm's global sales and marketing staff.

more news at: http://www6.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050722_110305.html

Re: Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by rufaai(m): 9:26pm On Jul 25, 2005
Windows Vista, Formarly know as Windows LongHorn,

As everyone knows, windows LongHornTM was to be release by 2006. now its name has been changed to Windows Vista.

Bringing clarity to your world

Today we live in a world of more information, more ways to communicate, more things to do. There is more you can do and even more you can discover from windows Vista.

Introducing Windows Vista™

It enables a new level of confidence in your PC and in your ability to get the most out of it.

It introduces clear ways to organize and use information the way you want to use it.

It seamlessly connects you to information, people, and devices that help you get the most out of life
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by joftech(m): 12:56pm On Jul 26, 2005
Vista, the name reminds me of Mamman Vasta, i hope those Redmond guys are not gearing up for a coup. Anyway, Penguin Green Berets are ready to counter any insurgence from the Goliath.
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by polo(m): 11:15pm On Nov 13, 2005
hey all,
Anyone heard or read about the new windos OS (Vista)coming out soon?
check out the features and tell me what you think about it.
Cheers.
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by joftech(m): 10:13am On Nov 14, 2005
MSFT is one funny company, before letting Vista out of the door they have started working on the next release after Vista.

I heard the next major release after Vista is dubbed "Blackcomb".
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by Hunter(m): 10:48pm On Nov 14, 2005
Yes joftech you are correct, there also working on an entirely new operating system not based on windows called singularity (it's a research project at the momment)
As for the release of Vista, It's not due to Q4 2006. The beta versions of it are already out to testers though (perhaps that is what you heard)
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by brightk(m): 7:30pm On Nov 16, 2005
Hey guys ,

I think i would wait and get the real longhorn when it is released by 2006 cos i cant bear the consequences of installing it on my system and crashing all what i have worked 4.  embarassed
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by tuxpow3r(m): 6:12pm On Dec 09, 2005
umnn, if you want the Longhorn look so bad and your box just can't seem to handle it, just get windowblinds from Stardock and find and dl the Vista skin by KOL and voila!
On a serious note though, I don't really care much for the overall windows GUI as I eventually mod it anyway and replace the explorer shell with Litestep -> www.litestep.net. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that Longhorn probably look really nice, I don't know as I haven't tried install it myself, but I'd rather wait until it comes out as a stable product.
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by 2nde(m): 10:39pm On Feb 03, 2006
It is a good thing that a new window will be out around the middle of this year, the window is called "Window Vista" with alot of clearity, speech recognition, powerful graphics, security to mention the few.
You can get more info about it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.aspx
http://news.com.com/1606-2_3-6018907.html?tag=ne.vid

I can't wait to have that new window.
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista (formerly "Longhorn") by Nobody: 2:05pm On Feb 17, 2006
For u guys so hung up on windows, it means Micro$oft is unleashing on you its latest bug-ridden software, which will lock out ALL your old drivers and software. Sorry, but i will wait until lots of users have made their mistakes with the new OS b4 i try it.

I only use windows cos i need a featured wysiwyg html editor and a c++ ide, and my company insists on developing windows software angry angry angry

Linux Rocks!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Toshiba Satellite P2oo Rt5: Webcam Driver Wanted / Need Help On Display Issue With My Laptop (HP G60-230US) / Compaq Cq61 SOLD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.