Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,031 members, 7,818,045 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:54 AM

Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? (8776 Views)

Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others / This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice / 10 Professional Codes Of Conduct For Managers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? by lawonel9: 2:08pm On Aug 10, 2022

Re: Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? by kingsworldola: 2:09pm On Aug 10, 2022
In a working system country; NO
In Nigeria; YES

1 Like

Re: Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? by alfajohn: 2:09pm On Aug 10, 2022
I don’t know where you work but the civil service rules says it is incumbent on the civil servant to obtain and comply with the public service rules. However their are ground norms that are usually codified like absenteeism, lateness, inappropriate dressing, use of fowl language and so forth. If guilty of any of the ground norms claiming ignorance may not help you
Re: Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? by stywo(m): 2:10pm On Aug 10, 2022
Holybaddo:
Are you new in this Country
Thank you for that question

1 Like

Re: Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? by Daniluv1(m): 2:11pm On Aug 10, 2022
NO
Re: Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? by PharmacyStore: 2:11pm On Aug 10, 2022
Well many businesses don't have a code of conduct document
Re: Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? by vabok(m): 2:15pm On Aug 10, 2022
As for a copy of a code of conduct document, read code 27, if you have violated it, just quietly and politely answer the query and state that you were not aware of this violation since you hadn't been issued with the document upon employment
Re: Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? by vikiphy89(m): 2:17pm On Aug 10, 2022
Offpoint1:
Tell us your f/cked-ups first before enquiring the code of conducts... What the hell did you do that warrant the query?

Query is not always given on first offense, are you a repeat-offender?

Sorry this is how I interpret your post "Hi guys! I just F my boss PA, but there was no code given to me that says I can't F my boss PA... is my boss right giving me query"?
I have been given query on first offense I did not commit, but because I did not report the person that committed the offense. So na naija we dey
Re: Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? by smile11s(m): 2:23pm On Aug 10, 2022
dubezra:
I was giving a query in my place of work(2nd month of employment), my boss stated the code(code 27) in the query later. But on my employment later and even till now I have not received the code of conduct document. My question is : Is someone suppose to be punished by his/her boss without first giving he/she the code of conduct?.

it depends though

https://gist.am/question/can-one-be-punished-in-a-workplace-without-been-given-a-code-of-conduct
Re: Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? by primeache: 2:23pm On Aug 10, 2022
That moment you should signed to abide by the rules and regulations of the organization, you are in for anything .

Know this, know peace
Re: Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? by hayjayman(m): 2:24pm On Aug 10, 2022
You were queried in your second month of employment, and you are proud to talk or spill it here.. ... You sure say being employed is suitable for you.. Na ogbono seeds you go sell las las

1 Like

Re: Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? by Eniitankorede: 2:29pm On Aug 10, 2022
Where there’s no law, there’s no guilt.
Re: Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? by Vikalinda(m): 2:32pm On Aug 10, 2022
Been employed, it is your responsibility to request for the company code of conduct Inorder to retain your job, ignorant to a law is not an excuse, However, you can approach your boss to explain to him that you have no knowledge of the code of conduct that he is quoting from, plead with him to withdraw the query,
Re: Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? by ppogba: 2:41pm On Aug 10, 2022
Reply the query with professionalism and try as much as possible to sieve the advice being given on Nairaland.

Jobs are scarce and guide the one you have jealously.

There are so many blind hoping to lead the non- blind in this country.
Re: Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? by CaptainFM1: 2:57pm On Aug 10, 2022
There are generic/industry code that will be applicable. In instances where none was given, the state or generic/industry code of conducts applies.
Re: Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? by MrSwitch: 3:05pm On Aug 10, 2022
This an opportunity to ask for the code of conduct document. Read it and understand it
Re: Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? by Offpoint1: 3:05pm On Aug 10, 2022
vikiphy89:

I have been given query on first offense I did not commit, but because I did not report the person that committed the offense. So na naija we dey
If you get query on first offense (if it's not money relate) then your superior down just like you.
Re: Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? by Ishilove: 3:21pm On Aug 10, 2022
xpressionx:
Nope.....

Just know that this is Nigeria where your teacher gives you 2+2=4 as classwork but during exams you see 2A=36,using pythagoras theory find X
This would have been funny if it wasn't true. Seriously, that is why I hated maths.
Re: Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? by AXYZ: 3:30pm On Aug 10, 2022
dubezra:
I was giving a query in my place of work(2nd month of employment), my boss stated the code(code 27) in the query later. But on my employment later and even till now I have not received the code of conduct document. My question is : Is someone suppose to be punished by his/her boss without first giving he/she the code of conduct?.

In some Organisations, you'll get to know the code of conduct as you progress on the job. What you did must have been very wrong even without seeing any code of conduct. We all know when we have done something wrong.

1 Like

Re: Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? by adisacool: 3:42pm On Aug 10, 2022
did you not receive the company hand book that guilds you through the work process.
Re: Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? by greenmouse(m): 3:47pm On Aug 10, 2022
yes, in fact, the workplace is the most important place to take action against any form of misconduct.

Re: Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? by felixawe(m): 4:56pm On Aug 10, 2022
That's not right , he ought to have started with verbal warning , repremind before query that's when you don't change.
Did ya boss handed you the code of conduct ? Because , you ought to have a copy. Maybe it's a private company.
Re: Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? by MARX77(m): 5:21pm On Aug 10, 2022
Na after you don commit the crime you go know say code of conduct de, lol
Re: Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? by Ijaya123: 6:57pm On Aug 10, 2022
dubezra:

No,I'm not given the a copy of the code of conduct even till now.

Then request for a copy from your boss.
Re: Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? by Tareq1105: 7:07pm On Aug 10, 2022
dubezra:

Did you get code of conduct when you were appointed?

Do you need code of conduct to know office etiquette?
Re: Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? by Qwi1: 11:51pm On Aug 10, 2022
Yea
Re: Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? by lenosah808: 4:23am On Aug 11, 2022
Hdh

Re: Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? by vikiphy89(m): 9:21am On Aug 11, 2022
Offpoint1:

If you get query on first offense (if it's not money relate) then your superior down just like you.
That's because I don't succumb to some of his antics then, and I'm not the type that shivers like others do, I know that most times I question his decisions because he's the type that makes decisions just because he is looking for victims. Nevertheless I counter some of his decisions that is not part of the work ethics. He gave me query and I faced panel, defended myself and he was transferred from our unit.
Re: Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? by dubezra: 11:12pm On Aug 11, 2022
Guys,thank you all for your answers, this what happened that I was given the query: On Thursday of that week,the headteacher of the school where I work, said we should come to work on Saturday so that we could finish up our work that was halted by a sudden public holiday.I and my colleagues all agreed to come, but on Friday I called my head teacher and gave her a good reason why I won't be able to come on Saturday; she accepted my reason, but insisted that I have to write a formal later of request of absence. She now said she will send her e-mail address.The e-mail address came late that night.Due to my schedule that day I could write the later.
Now,the query later she send says"you will therefore lose the salary of that day for missing work,according to code 37". Please ladies and gentlement is this a right judgment?.
Re: Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? by dubezra: 11:15pm On Aug 11, 2022
I did not write the letter is what I meant to say

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Politely Ask For Confirmation Mail From Boss. / How To Feel Less Tired After A Day's Work / Mental Health Issues In The Workplace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.