Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,807 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:06 PM

Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? (34355 Views)

Employees That Slept With Their Bosses, How Did It End? / 7 Types Of Bosses In Nigeria's Corporate Outfits / Your Experiences With Chinese Bosses As Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Aug 10, 2022
Hello Nairalanders. So, I want you guys to give your opinion about something.

For those of you that have learnt one trade or the other in Nigeria be it Tailoring, Mobile phone repair, Barbing, mechanic and so on, is it true that those bosses do not teach their apprentices well? I mean, is it that they just work and expect you to watch and just understand it just like that? Please, say your opinion.

Now, this is specifically for Hardware mobile phone repairers. How was your learning process like? Were you taught very well or you had to figure out stuffs on your own? I'm actually experiencing such now and I feel it's unfair. I have great interest in mobile phone repair but I hate being insulted for what I wasn't taught in the first place.

Is this a norm in Nigeria?

50 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? by Nobody: 2:17pm On Aug 10, 2022
Kindly help move this to front page please�

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? by MrHighSea: 1:15pm On Aug 11, 2022
That's how Kazeem and Obioma his friend learnt to wreck cars and wardrobes.

87 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? by wunmi590(m): 1:15pm On Aug 11, 2022

I think it used to be then, when people learn for free, but such rarely happen now as most of them now pay thier boss alot of money to gain the experience.

How will you pay a boss to teach you, and he/she is using you to play.....

Additionally, it also depend on individual ability to put his or her mind in the little that the boss teaches...

My wife learnt tailoring for just 3month while waiting for NYSC and used YouTube to master the remaining, she's now a master in sewing....

114 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? by eallstar: 1:16pm On Aug 11, 2022
4Humanity4All:
Kindly help move this to front page please�
Hi

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? by oluseyiforjesus(m): 1:16pm On Aug 11, 2022
Ok

1 Like

Re: Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? by Lightened: 1:16pm On Aug 11, 2022
Hmmm

I refuse to say what's inside my mind. Op, go and enroll first and let's see how it goes.

4 Likes

Re: Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? by doviqosu: 1:16pm On Aug 11, 2022
shocked

Ani's Child Rights and development foundation, join us put a smile on the face of many needy
Sponsors for
Food, Scholarship and Empowerment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? by moststylish(m): 1:17pm On Aug 11, 2022
Its kind of a norm

2 Likes

Re: Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? by A305: 1:17pm On Aug 11, 2022
We human are competitive by nature because resources are limited. So the fact that you learning a trade doesn't mean, you will be taught everything 100%, because your boss's trade secret is why he stands out. it's his signature that enables him compete in the saturated market.

So why would you expect him to hand over his trade secrets to you?

Chances are you will surpass him or the fear of you taking over the market (with your newly improved ideas added to his), or you could take over his clients.

People only teach their own children everything to be better than them (the parents), not an outsider.

75 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? by weljewel: 1:17pm On Aug 11, 2022
Praise be to God for lifting me up!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? by A305: 1:17pm On Aug 11, 2022
This land is not for sale.

Beware of 419.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? by phemmyflexxy(m): 1:17pm On Aug 11, 2022
It is the norm...
Watch and learn...
No explanation is given...

8 Likes

Re: Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? by Spiff20(m): 1:17pm On Aug 11, 2022
That's the way they learnt too. In fact they don't know how to teach, they only know how to. They're stupid in fact.

17 Likes

Re: Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? by leovictor15(m): 1:17pm On Aug 11, 2022
This is true

2 Likes

Re: Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? by mytime24(f): 1:19pm On Aug 11, 2022
Here to read comments

1 Like

Re: Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? by butterfly777(m): 1:19pm On Aug 11, 2022
Thank you for asking. Though I didn't learn work, I observed that masters often just work without verbally teaching their apprehentices what they are doing. I now wonder if they do the instructions when we customers are not there, and I considered asking my barber about this because I noticed this with him. But I haven't asked.

7 Likes

Re: Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? by Godsofsoccer: 1:19pm On Aug 11, 2022
You expected biro, chalkboard and books?
Why you no go school?

Learning work na practical work no be theories.
Best way to learn is to practically watch how a solution is arrived at repeatedly.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? by sheanzy(m): 1:19pm On Aug 11, 2022
Ok
Re: Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? by Abegng1: 1:19pm On Aug 11, 2022
Simon Dahboss

1 Like

Re: Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? by oregan(m): 1:19pm On Aug 11, 2022
Irrespective, any boss willnt allow you to spoil customer gadget, encourage yourself and get some tools to practice outside your boss domain. That’s how you become ur own boss
I will also advice that you learn from someone that will handle you as brother/friend

4 Likes

Re: Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? by Vikelo1212: 1:20pm On Aug 11, 2022
Different people with their different teaching styles.

Just be patient, keen and curious, then diligently go about your work and before you know it, people will get to prefer you than your co-workers.
Re: Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? by Kevinsamba: 1:20pm On Aug 11, 2022
That's how it is o
Very few masters actually teach
The rest na just watch and learn
But i personally think it should be a mixture of both
(Teaching & learning while watching)

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? by IMASTEX: 1:21pm On Aug 11, 2022
Most of them are not expose outside the job, thus find it difficult to pass knowledge to another through teaching. My advise is to upgrade yourself using online means to quicken the learning process.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? by KingTom(m): 1:21pm On Aug 11, 2022
No be all
Re: Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? by fineboynl(m): 1:21pm On Aug 11, 2022
.. Majority will not bother to teach you ontime. They want you to first suffer and served them before they will teach you.

From previous experience when a master teach the boy at once. He will think he already knows the work so why will he continues to served and doing boy boy to the master.

Some boys don't stay long they just move ahead once they know small thing. They will think about making money with that little they already learnt.

The first year is to send you messages and errand. He will only show you the small small things. By this time the master have study your behavior very well. From the second year that when he will start teaching you the main things.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? by iamyemiakins(m): 1:21pm On Aug 11, 2022
I learnt iPhone software, hardware & repair. I wasn't taught much by my boss then, although we did theory and practical. Na to just teach you small and expect you to continue watching them, to master it on time grin

3 Likes

Re: Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? by HoneyBee23(f): 1:21pm On Aug 11, 2022
Dr Henry Bolaji Akinduro CEO of Total Grace Group and Patron NUJ Oyo chapter Is Killing His Staffs

https://www.nairaland.com/7275517/dr-henry-bolaji-akinduro-ceo#115594523

Say no to modern day slavery!!!
Re: Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? by Tonytonex(m): 1:21pm On Aug 11, 2022
Mostly, that's how it is. Just do your best to learn. If possible, don't blink when they're working. Cause they won't teach you everything. So that you won't know more than them. Oga na master kind of a thing.

2 Likes

Re: Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? by vickyfrancis1(m): 1:22pm On Aug 11, 2022
An honest mentor will teach you most but not all so as to distinguish himself as par Oga na baba
An average boss will expect you to watch and learn and try and figure things out yourself.
What helped me during my training days was the internet....I watch YouTube videos alot and sometimes I ask and watch other mentors and apprentices during my spare time.
Even though I'm not close to perfection...
Sometimes my boss would send me on an irrelevant errand so as to miss an important aspect of our work but when he found out that I already knew that he was hiding from me, he loosen up.
So always DYOR.

18 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

An Employer Sent The Above Message To His Employees / I Collected $30m For Helping Gov’t Recover $300m – Afe Babalola / What Is The Salary Structure Of The Nigerian Immigration Service?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.