Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,223 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:38 AM

Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns (16017 Views)

Subsidy: Nigeria Treasury Must Be Protected From Looters — Tinubu / Nigerian Airlines Sound Alarm Over ‘Existential Threat’ / Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Will Pay A Price, Borrowings May Continue – Femi Adesina (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by hekola: 6:49am On Aug 11, 2022
ImperialYoruba:

Why couldnt Anambra govern itself?

now I can see you have no sense.. Lagos is the business capital of Nigeria.. think
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by harmargedon: 6:55am On Aug 11, 2022
ImperialYoruba:

Tinubu already issued same advisory to government very recently.

Tinubu continues to highlight risk areas and advise on policies that global institutions agree with and back.

Tinubu uplifted Lagos economy, Obi sank Anambra economy.

Vote success
Vote credibility
Vote competence
stop typing shit, have sense for once.
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by ImperialYoruba: 6:58am On Aug 11, 2022
mycar:

Not Tinubu my dear, everything points at Peter Obi because Tinubu is part and parcel of this administration and Buhari said it unequivocal that wherever his party goes , that's where he will go after been criticised for earlier saying that he belongs to everybody and to nobody and subsequently, he made the 5% comment, so tell me, is APC trying to save Nigeria from APC? Is Tinubu going to work with a team different from that of Buhari and who are they?

IMF is not talking about administration. They are talking about intervention for remedies. grin

A progressive solution, one modeled after the successes of Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by crazygod(m): 7:00am On Aug 11, 2022
datola:
Remove the scam subsidy. Decrease VAT rate to 5%. Simple as ABC
How many times will they remove subsidy? I have lost count.
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Ofiadiegwu: 7:01am On Aug 11, 2022
ImperialYoruba:

Tinubu continues to highlight risk areas and advise on policies that global institutions agree with and back.

Vote success
Vote credibility
Vote competence

This platform is not conducive for you to deceive people.
We are enlightened already.
Competency is what apc used to sell Buhari to Nigerians in 2015. How far now? You folks lied to Nigerians.

Fast forward to this post 2023, you are telling us a party with boko haram members are the competent side?

We are not blind in the eye nor in our minds. Don't lie to us again. We know competent people and we know parties where competent candidates are.

We owe no apologies to Boko Haram group but Nigerians cannot vote for Boko Haram affiliates
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by RepoMan007: 7:02am On Aug 11, 2022
Giant of Africa with giant disease and a doctor who cares about dressing leprosy for aesthetics.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by ImperialYoruba: 7:02am On Aug 11, 2022
hekola:
now I can see you have no sense.. Lagos is the business capital of Nigeria.. think

What stops Anambra from becoming business capital?

Kano governs itself, is it a business capital?
Ogun, Kaduna, Oyo, Rivers, Cross River, these places govern themselves. Are they business capitals?

3 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Timothyesekh: 7:03am On Aug 11, 2022
Things are getting worse everyday.
Continue.
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Realtalk20: 7:04am On Aug 11, 2022
ImperialYoruba:

Vote success
Vote credibility
Vote competence

Why didn't he uplift the entire southwest? Why only Lagos which anyone can do? What happened to Ogun, Oyo, Ondo , Ekiti and Osun
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Lekan239(m): 7:06am On Aug 11, 2022
butterfly777:

Stop blaming people for voting Jonathan out in 2015. Jonathan spent about 6 years in power and had proven himself incapable of helping the country. It was obvious he wasn't the answer and people just needed a change.

Before then, Buhari had tried like 3 times but he couldn't defeat Obasanjo, Yaradua and even Jonathan at first. But since Jonathan did not work, and Buhari was the main alternative then, people had little choice than to give him a try then. It is a simple happenstance and we can't really blame anyone for voting Buhari then.

But now we have a choice.

Peter Obi for 2023.
the same choice we had with Buhari, I hope this won't be another mistake
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by ImperialYoruba: 7:07am On Aug 11, 2022
Ofiadiegwu:

This platform is not conducive for you to deceive people.
We are enlightened already.
Competency is what apc used to sell Buhari to Nigerians in 2015. How far now? You folks lied to Nigerians.

Fast forward to this post 2023, you are telling us a party with boko haram members are the competent side?

We are not blind in the eye nor in our minds. Don't lie to is again. We know competent people and we know parties where competent candidates are.

We owe no apologies to Boko Haram group but Nigerians cannot vote for Boko Haram affiliates

You were incompetent in 2015 and remain incompetent in 2022.

Buhari came in 2015, 20yrs after Abacha.
I'd take Buhari regime ahead of Abacha's.

We will exploit your incompetence in 2023 to keep you out of power.
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by ImperialYoruba: 7:10am On Aug 11, 2022
Realtalk20:

Why didn't he uplift the entire southwest? Why only Lagos which anyone can do? What happened to Ogun, Oyo, Ondo , Ekiti and Osun

Ogun is second best state after Lagos. One step a time, next will be Oyo. Die die.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Ofiadiegwu: 7:13am On Aug 11, 2022
ImperialYoruba:

You were incompetent in 2015 and remain incompetent in 2022.

Buhari came in 2015, 20yrs after Abacha.
I'd take Buhari regime ahead of Abacha's.

We will exploit your incompetence in 2023 to keep you out of power.

Your own definition of competency must be anything that leads to backwardness.

We know you retrogressive lots.
Backwardness is considered way forward by you.

Nigeria is wiser now.

Even Abacha regime being undemocratic is better that your Buhari/qpc regime of hunger, poverty and terrorism.

We reject retrogression in all it's facets
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by butterfly777(m): 7:15am On Aug 11, 2022
Lekan239:
the same choice we had with Buhari, I hope this won't be another mistake

I believe it won't.
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Cognitivereason: 7:17am On Aug 11, 2022
datola:

can you buy fuel N500/ litre... when diesel increase to N800+...you want to tell me you didnt blame buhari instead of the russia ukraine war?

some of yall are confused
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by ImperialYoruba: 7:19am On Aug 11, 2022
Ofiadiegwu:

Your own definition of competency must be anything that leads to backwardness.

We know you retrogressive lots.
Backwardness is considered way forward by you.

Nigeria is wiser now.

Even Abacha regime being undemocratic is better that your Buhari/qpc regime of hunger, poverty and terrorism.

We reject retrogression in all it's facets

Whether you reject or accept it Nigeria will continue and the dominant must have its way.

So move over

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by SlavaUkraini: 7:21am On Aug 11, 2022
ImperialYoruba:

Vote success
Vote credibility
Vote competence

You are very wrong to ascribe the seeming success of Lagos today to one man.

Past leaders and the current leaders must be given their accolades for the efforts they made in Lagos.

Buba Maruwa is still celebrated today in certain quarters in Lagos.

What about BabaTunde Fashola...

What about Akinwumin Ambode....

What about Babajide Sanwo-Olu that is currently playing his role....

Ascribing success to just one Man is telling others that they were just a puppet and their input is meaningless.

Just imagine if Fashola is running for president tomorrow....

What would he campaign with if you ascribe the seeming success of Lagos State to Tinubu

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Cognitivereason: 7:22am On Aug 11, 2022
butterfly777:

I believe it won't.

it will because people think peter obi will cast some spells that will make Nigeria stop borrowing and generating more revenues...some bigger phools think...the country can generate more revenue to cater for it needs without taxing the citizens more.. they think we can stop subsidizing petrol and still keep the price constant...they think we can increase the value of naira without floating it..some dunce dont eve know the disadvantage of floating the currency..

if peter truly means well about rebuilding our economy nd not borrow..he will have no choice than to end fuel subsidy...it is that time people will bless buhari more..
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Tingotoe: 7:23am On Aug 11, 2022
It has never ended well for any country that implemented the recommendations of the world bank and IMF.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by butterfly777(m): 7:24am On Aug 11, 2022
Cognitivereason:

it will because people think peter obi will cast some spells that will make Nigeria stop borrowing and generating more revenues...some bigger phools think...the country can generate more revenue to cater for it needs without taxing the citizens more.. they think we can stop subsidizing petrol and still keep the price constant...they think we can increase the value of naira without floating it..some dunce dont eve know the disadvantage of floating the currency..

if peter truly means well about rebuilding our economy nd not borrow..he will have no choice than to end fuel subsidy...it is that time people will bless buhari more..

I disagree your assertion at the beginning her, but I am okay with your ending statement that starts with "if" . We can't say it will yet, but we know that if he does the right things, we will have the right results.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Cognitivereason: 7:26am On Aug 11, 2022
mycar:

Show me one seaport in Anambra, take away sea port in Lagos and Lagos will turn to kastina. and don't tell me that Tinubu built Lagos because Lagos is not Tinubu's home state, charity they say begins at home and what has he done for his state?
As the first civilian governor in this 3rd republic, he allocated to himself a larger part of Lagos economy and you want him to replicate it in the country. Kindly think it through.

If Tinubu has anything to offer, he is the chieftain of the party, he supported Buhari twice, meaning he believes in Buhari, so if that's his sense of judgement. I am not a party to it.

anambra geographically can never host a sea port...go and google search what a sea port is and areas where they are built..

only ogun, edo,delta,bayelsa,akwa-ibom, calabar and rivers can host seaport...anambra can not accommodate more than a river port...which GEJ built but left it useless
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by waslag11(m): 7:26am On Aug 11, 2022
datola:

Well said while some turn it to tribal war and campaign strategy

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by ImperialYoruba: 7:28am On Aug 11, 2022
SlavaUkraini:

You are very wrong to ascribe the seeming success of Lagos today to one man.

Past leaders and the current leaders must be given their accolades for the efforts they made in Lagos.

Buba Maruwa is still celebrated today in certain quarters in Lagos.

What about BabaTunde Fashola...

What about Akinwumin Ambode....

What about Babajide Sanwo-Olu that is currently playing his role....

Ascribing success to just one Man is telling others that they were just a puppet and their input is meaningless.

Just imagine if Fashola is running for president tomorrow....

What would he campaign with if you ascribe the seeming success of Lagos State to Tinubu

We are talking about presidency and how Tinubu qualifies. If those other people were candidates we will relive their records.
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by NLElder: 7:29am On Aug 11, 2022
Diesel and kerosene that has no subsidy how market and what is the encouraging factor for fuel to follow suit? Why are the refineries not producing till date? Why should we as major crude oil producer be importing fuel? Until all these questions are answered, World Bank and other subsidy removal apologists should shut their dirty mouths! And who even wants the present Nigeria to exist? Are we existing economically as a nation. Rubbish
Trumpcard05:

https://punchng.com/nigeria-facing-existential-threat-world-bank-warns/
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Ofiadiegwu: 7:31am On Aug 11, 2022
ImperialYoruba:

Whether you reject or accept it Nigeria will continue and the dominant must have its way.

So move over

No, dominance of APC is expired already.

Watch and see
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by blackmantis: 7:35am On Aug 11, 2022
surgical:
I don't understand how people reason subsidy cannot be removed it will always be there except we do the needful which is build refineries ,the talk about subsidy portrays us as dumb people, solution is refinery
Without refinery there will be perpetual increase in price which will increase poverty and hardship because the variables are not in your control
Exchange rate, international prices, including freight charges

Why can't fuel subsidy be removed?
How long will it take to build a new refinery and at what cost? Where will the money come from?

Removing subsidy will encourage private individuals to build refineries because they know they can sell and make a profit.

Inflation is already hitting us hard and it will bite harder.... it's just a matter of time.

3 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by ImperialYoruba: 7:36am On Aug 11, 2022
darediamond:

A ND how as your so called Tinubu Upliftment of Lagos Economy transformed POSITIVELY THE STANDARD OF LIVING OF LAGOSIANS EXPECIALLY THOSE ONES WHO LIVES IN WHERE THEY REALLY DO NOT LIKE E. G. Makoko?

It is only a foolish man that Promotes Capitalists and Political Jobbers.

I already gave answer in a similar question.

Use omoibo to survey what progress and upliftment means.

Compare, in real terms, the life of yanminri in Lagos with that of his brother in kano, in maiduguri, in Onitsha.

Im sure the Ibo in Lagos will tell you life in Lagos is paradise.
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by ImperialYoruba: 7:41am On Aug 11, 2022
Ofiadiegwu:

No, dominance of APC is expired already.

Watch and see

There will be a succession from APC to APC.

If you dont like it, your biafra paraphernalia are still around. Put them back on and resume letters to UN.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Cognitivereason: 7:42am On Aug 11, 2022
butterfly777:

I disagree your assertion at the beginning her, but I am okay with your ending statement that starts with "if" . We can't say it will yet, but we know that if he does the right things, we will have the right results.

You are kidding yourself...the only result you will get is inflation if you can bear it to get the actual results.....

if Nigeria is to stop borrowing today...someone with the guts has to end subsidies which cost us 4 trillion a year and channel it into something productive...in the process of doing that...petrol will shoot up to N500/litre and people will suffer more plus inflations will quadruple...
what ever peter obi channels that subsidy money to will take nothing less than 5 years till we see the fruit of it...can you bear buying fuel for N500 and all the economic woos that follows it?..

Peter Obi will also have to increase taxes to meet the cost of transforming the our economy from consumption to production...some of you retards think all of the countries Peter obi uses as examples in his economic analysis are paying the same taxes we do in Nigeria..you all are kidding.. so you think Peter Obi will magically transform the economy to production without investing billions in USD? where will he get that money from? is it the oil money that cant be sufficient to cater for civil servant salaries alone? or to tax more or borrow loan...

dont worry...as much as i want Obi to win..when we get there..Nigerians will now see what we will face if he truly implements his policy..

remember we dont have power...we manage 3,500MW average when we need nothing less than 40,000MW... tell me where is Obi going to see money to build new transmission lines of such capacity as well as power plant..you think say na beans.. ordinary mambila power plant which is 3000MW from planning had to be scaled down to 1000MW because of the cost...

the Eygpt that changed their story in power....Do you know how much they borrowed...yall are in a delusion..

the leaders that messed up this country are the various head of states...
those were the times Nigeria was looted dry especially when there was no media coverage..our parents the will illiterates so weytin consign them?...just look at how much Abacha stole in USD...you want to tell me if he used that money to fix power..he wont fix it completely..can you compare the cost of fixing our mess today to the cost in the 1980s?

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by NOwazobia: 7:43am On Aug 11, 2022
The major problem we have in this country is gross solid corruption that has alienated accountability of resources, hence no amount of taxes or subsidy remover will change anything.

The difference is that the subsidy removed will be looted through a new channel which will eventually make the latter worse than the former.

What the world bank should be stressing is fighting corruption but they won't because of their corrupt nature also.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Benue 2023: Youths Stage Walk For Governor Ortom (Pictures) / I Won’t Be Intimidated By Desperate Politicians – Ekweremadu / Kwankwaso, Kano Deputy Governor Boycott APC Congress

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.