Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,239 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:29 AM

Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns (16018 Views)

Subsidy: Nigeria Treasury Must Be Protected From Looters — Tinubu / Nigerian Airlines Sound Alarm Over ‘Existential Threat’ / Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Will Pay A Price, Borrowings May Continue – Femi Adesina (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Daddyyin: 11:18am On Aug 11, 2022
laladre:

Tested and trusted in your village abi, am sure your brother is an Agbero.

Mumu, you get person wey better reach Tinubu for your family?

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by surgical: 11:31am On Aug 11, 2022
blackmantis:

Why can't fuel subsidy be removed?
How long will it take to build a new refinery and at what cost? Where will the money come from?

Removing subsidy will encourage private individuals to build refineries because they know they can sell and make a profit.

Inflation is already hitting us hard and it will bite harder.... it's just a matter of time.
where are they getting the trillions they are wasting on subsidy, will it cost trillions to build refineries, it is not because of subsidy that there are no investors, its about government policy
The model the government have applied will bring about endless increase in prices for as long as importation continues
There will always be adjustments for foreign exchange fluctuations, or the need to adjust to international prices
Why not build refineries or encourage it to be built first and let's see if the issues of subsidy will ever come up again
Even small Niger have refineries and export to Nigeria
But some brainwashed individuals will leave real issues and be shouting subsidy, how many times have buhari removed subsidy, that he will have to announce again he will remove after removal,he will come again that he wants to remove, any government that applies buhari strategy will keep moving In circles without getting to it destination

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Average9jaman: 11:35am On Aug 11, 2022
Mokason288:
BUhari told us that there was nothing like subsidy

He has never heard that word.... now his government is paying 4trilion on subsidy that he has already removed twice

My brother I tire o shocked
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by ImperialYoruba: 12:09pm On Aug 11, 2022
Ofiadiegwu:

You can keep assuming, your best guess is zero
Your small mind can't guess rightly about me and also, your projections about 2023 is completely unrealistic because you have little mind.
Calm down. It's going to be alright.
We will welcome you to a new working Nigeria in 2023

A new working Nigeria under a Yoruba President, governing over Nigeria and Biafra.

Say Amen.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by ImperialYoruba: 12:13pm On Aug 11, 2022
mycar:

Who will intervene if not the administrators? The issue of fuel subsidy is all about accountability and trust.

Visioners.

You can get administrators in thousands, visioners are rare. Tinubu is a visionary, Obi is an administrator. grin

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by ImperialYoruba: 12:22pm On Aug 11, 2022
Realtalk20:

HAHAHAHAHAHAA you are such a clown..... No other state in the southwest is developed...

We have Lagos Abuja port Harcourt then the likes of Akwa ibom, cross River Ebonyi Anambra before you talk of Ogun state anywhere

Pls shift

How many Nigerians have migrated to developed Anambra in 2022, compare with developed Ogun.

Nigerians migrate to development. This is why SW has more Ibo living there than there are Ibos living in SE. Lack of development forced your exit. And where do you go? Yorubaland.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Cognitivereason: 1:16pm On Aug 11, 2022
29kobo:

And in return, people would rush to invest in refineries, and associated businesses...which would lead to imports ending. There would be some improvement in the value of the naira, (not to N1-$1 MIND!) and there would also be enough cash for other things...plus if we do it right, we can do as some other countries have done and funnel it into targeted plans to ease the strike...like increased public transport spending.

these are achievements we will see atleast a decade after subsidies have been removed.. there is no Nigerian that will respect the government if it takes that approach at the expense of their sufferings for over a decade.. mind you the value of the naira will not improve...the rate at which it depreciate will reduce and probably more supply... remember the naira is guarded by the CBN instead of it to be floated..

funny enough if we dont take that approach.. our sufferings multiply more somewhere in the future... but like I said if you can accept and bear buying fuel for N500/litre with other services and commodities increasing further...will others do?

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by 2rez: 1:23pm On Aug 11, 2022
World bank, we know already so fccuk you and your fccuuking warning. Shove your fcuuking warning down your fcccuuking butt. Nonsense.

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Ray02: 1:23pm On Aug 11, 2022
knowhowk:
. He went to Bubu ,assured him he will be President.

7 years ,You mean Jagaban couldn't stand with Bubu to Use his Economic magic Wand to save Naija Ailling Economic Issues .

It's Well.
As in, that thing dey vex me. You claimed to know the solutions to problems facing Nigeria, whereas you are a party member, a prominent one at that, and you allowed Nigeria to degenerate like this. Is it not wise to help ahead, so that it would be easier for you to continue when you become president.?

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by mycar: 1:23pm On Aug 11, 2022
ImperialYoruba:

Visioners.

You can get administrators in thousands, visioners are rare. Tinubu is a visionary, Obi is an administrator. grin
What vision my brother, the vision of Buhari shocked grin and the calamity of APC and how they are handling our country? I wish you what his vision is doing to our economy.
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Realtalk20: 1:47pm On Aug 11, 2022
ImperialYoruba:

How many Nigerians have migrated to developed Anambra in 2022, compare with developed Ogun.

Nigerians migrate to development. This is why SW has more Ibo living there than there are Ibos living in SE. Lack of development forced your exit. And where do you go? Yorubaland.
Hehehehehe clown you are so dumb.

I am not Ibo for your information. Dummy grin

Now cry years of painment grin
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Ofiadiegwu: 1:47pm On Aug 11, 2022
ImperialYoruba:

A new working Nigeria under a Yoruba President, governing over Nigeria and Biafra.

Say Amen.

I am not anti-Yoruba in any way.
I have Yoruba role models, mentors and friends.
Obasanjo as a Yoruba president was a good thing.
Now this is me.
Can you express you self as I have done?

You may not because of your small mind and myopic tendencies.

However, make no mistakes:
We need no Boko Haram members and acquaintances in the seat of power in Nigeria.

Know these things and know peace

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Realtalk20: 1:48pm On Aug 11, 2022
ImperialYoruba:

Hehehehehe clown you are so dumb.

I am not Ibo for your information. Dummy grin

Now cry years of painment grin..
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Steveabbeyly: 2:19pm On Aug 11, 2022
It is so surprising that news about Nnamdi Kanu could not attract thousands of likes, shares and comments from his followers who had before this presidential election period, adored him and called him their only true leader and no politician in the east can march him. Today, Kanu has been swapped for the election and Nigeria is their country and no more referred to as a ZOO again and non easterners called animals. And untill after the election when they failed to win the election then Nnamdi Kanu will again matter to them and becomes their leader ever loveth and liveth then Nigeria automatically becomes a ZOO again. Lesson learnt from issue of Kanu is that be careful when people start singing your praises saying "we will make the elephant or crown the elephant as a king". My brother be extremely careful so that you will not be led to your golgotha. Nnamdi Kanu is bearing the brunt all alone today, the poor boy.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by einsteine(m): 2:32pm On Aug 11, 2022
Buhari said there was no subsidy but yet he has paid more subsidy than any other Nigerian government in history, while also more than doubling the price of PMS. I blame the foolish Nigerians protesting in 2012 not knowing they were being remote controlled by the Action Congress of Nigeria.
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by einsteine(m): 2:34pm On Aug 11, 2022
Mokason288:

The surprising thing to me is that a lot of Northerners are still willing to die for BUhari despite destroying the North

Because they don't believe he is the cause.
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by einsteine(m): 2:36pm On Aug 11, 2022
Enkidu70:
Not to excuse the current set of thieves from APC, but Goodluck Jonathan foisted this bastard Emefiele on Nigerians. That bald, worthless beast is the legacy of GEJ's cluelessness, compounded by Buhari's illiteracy. The man studied engineering, then he went to work with a bank...he's not even an accountant talkless an economist. Dude has no business running the central bank of any serious country.

Didn't Buhari retain him?

Joke is on you if you think Emefiele is the problem. He is only obeying orders. That's why Ngozi Okonjo Iweala performed better under Obasanjo than under Jonathan (even though she had much more power under Jonathan). The head of government matters in countries like Nigeria because there is no independence to government roles.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by BIGDADDY000(m): 3:05pm On Aug 11, 2022
malel1:
If my south west brodas listened to us 2015 , these things wouldn’t have happened

am a YORUBA MAN, please always include yoruba muslim, they are the problem of south west, not all of us here are dumb
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Enkidu70: 3:10pm On Aug 11, 2022
einsteine:

Joke is on you if you think Emefiele is the problem. He is only obeying orders. That's why Ngozi Okonjo Iweala performed better under Obasanjo than under Jonathan (even though she had much more power under Jonathan). The head of government matters in countries like Nigeria because there is no independence to government roles.

What orders can Buhari give him? No be wetin you sabi you go order. Be like Jonathan na ya deity

Sorry o

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Wwwq: 4:51pm On Aug 11, 2022
Oh
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by PhantomProbe(m): 5:49pm On Aug 11, 2022
Mokason288:

He has never heard that word.... now his government is paying 4trilion on subsidy that he has already removed twice
Truth be told, only dumb minds believed buhari's campaign promises.
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Okobola146: 6:21pm On Aug 11, 2022
Daddyyin:

No sane person will defend Buhari’s failures but Asiwaju is a different person. He is not clueless, he’s a performer; tested and trusted.
see as I just dey take bad eye look you

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Perfectbeing(m): 6:28pm On Aug 11, 2022
Mokason288:

This is exactly how Obi is saying he will do this and that but when he gets there e eye go clear.

Everything looks easy when you're not there.

Same way Fashola thought a serious government will solve electricity problem in 6 months. But 7 years later and power problem still dey.

Peter Obi will piss for body if e ever gets there..

If***
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by AyeMoJuba: 6:29pm On Aug 11, 2022
tadlel:
Tinubu is a PLACE HOLDER for gov Shettima, the earlier you people realize this the better oo.

Most of this people pushing this Drug Lord doesn't know there's an agenda to just install him by fire by force and when he is tired and sick before 2 years, Shettima will be swear in as president and more kabiru sokoto will be hiding in his house.

Even Yaradua was way stronger than him before he became president

Affliction shall not rise the second time

The same way you people said Buhari won't last 6months
You even went ahead after he had live over 1yr that he's a clone...a certain All Sudan

Aren't you ashamed?

3 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Perfectbeing(m): 6:34pm On Aug 11, 2022
Buhari should make things easier for the next President. Remove the damn subsidy for crying out loud.

Stopping unnecessary costs and expenses is merely treating a cancer sore instead of the cancer itself.

Make things easier for Tinubu our incoming President biko.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Perfectbeing(m): 6:37pm On Aug 11, 2022
Christian36:
Lol, with the revenue Lagos is getting, yet can't compete with cities like Dubai as a result of corruption organize by Mr billion vans. The revenue of Lagos is equal to or greater than the federal allocation of 10states in Nigeria. You guys should fine another story to tell us not using Lagos as an achievement.
Why don't you compare Lagos revenue and population with that of Dubai.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Perfectbeing(m): 6:40pm On Aug 11, 2022
whitephoenix:

No be only solvent. Inspite of raising taxes indiscriminately thereby increasing IGR, Lagos which is the smallest state in the country by landmass still has the highest debts by far among the states in Nigeria, both local and foreign debts, from 1999 till date.

It is wicked to raise taxes from people's sufferings and then misuse it. It is wicked.

Now, future generations have the burden of debts, ironically for a state that generates the most. Shame
Can you explain why USA is the most indebted nation even though it generates the most Money?
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by AyeMoJuba: 6:41pm On Aug 11, 2022
Perfectbeing:
This is exactly how Obi is saying he will do this and that but when he gets there e eye go clear.

Same way Fashola thought a serious government will solve electricity problem in 6 months. But 7 years later and power problem still dey.

If***

Don't waste your energy on these day dreamers
No Igbo man will ever again rule this country.
It will NEVER happen

Mark my words.
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Perfectbeing(m): 6:43pm On Aug 11, 2022
mycar:

All we need is effective government that will be able to determine the exact amount we spend on fuel importation, the exact quantity, the amount is always inflated just like contracts.

This the only reason I am supporting Peter Obi, he involves himself in the contract negotiation, he does not award contract based on tribal sentiment, he goes for the best deal, he scrutinises every transaction to make sure his state is not cheated out. That was how he saved money,
He doesn't spend anyhow, No wastage of fund, He sees a problem and look for solution which i believe Tinubu was good at but he may not have the strength to do them now and when you rely soo much on others just like Buhari is doing, the whole country will suffer.
Removing the fuel subsidy is the only solution bro.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by omohayek: 9:31pm On Aug 11, 2022
einsteine:

Actually the joke is on you. The governor of the CBN is statutorily independent, meaning Emefiele has no legal obligation whatsoever to pay attention to Buhari's economically illiterate demands, yet Emefiele does so anyway, like a fearful houseboy afraid of his master's koboko. This makes Emefiele far more deserving of scorn than any of the ministers who serve purely at Buhari's pleasure (and who can therefore be dismissed at any moment).

Emefiele has spent the last 7 years helping Buhari destroy the Nigerian economy when anyone with a backbone in his position could have simply said "No", but as usual tribalism blinds you and all the others on here who refuse to criticise him to the reality of his culpability. Godwin Emefiele is the most feckless and incompetent person ever to serve as governor of the CBN.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by einsteine(m): 9:43pm On Aug 11, 2022
omohayek:

Actually the joke is on you. The governor of the CBN is statutorily independent, meaning Emefiele has no legal obligation whatsoever to pay attention to Buhari's economically illiterate demands, yet Emefiele does so anyway, like a fearful houseboy afraid of his master's koboko. This makes Emefiele far more deserving of scorn than any of the ministers who serve purely at Buhari's pleasure (and who can therefore be dismissed at any moment).

Emefiele has spent the last 7 years helping Buhari destroy the Nigerian economy when anyone with a backbone in his position could have simply said "No", but as usual tribalism blinds you and all the others on here who refuse to criticise him to the reality of his culpability. Godwin Emefiele is the most feckless and incompetent person ever to serve as governor of the CBN.

Was Sanusi statutorily independent? Why was he technically fired?

Emefiele's incompetence is directly linked to Buhari's. If you can't understand that, then I don't know what to tell you. You could make Alan Greenspan the CBN governor and as long as Buhari is in charge, you will either get the same result or Greenspan will resign and someone who would supervise the same bad result would be the new CBN governor.

You say tribalism blinds me, on what evidence are you basing those spurious allegations? If your next retort includes such ad hominems, I will let you know right now that I would reply you with pure insults devoid of any form of decorum.

You launch into a strawman attack/argument, ignoring my basic point: any governor in charge of the CBN would have provided similar results because of the president in charge. C'est fini.

If you are arguing that Emefiele should have resigned, that's a different argument but anyone who would have served as governor under Buhari would have provided the exact same results. I could as well accuse you of being reluctant to blame Buhari and his poor economics but I won't.

Only an ignorant Nigerian would claim that anybody serving federally is actually independent. They may be statutorily independent but in reality, they are only as independent as the president wants them to be.
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Mokason288(m): 9:44pm On Aug 11, 2022
Perfectbeing:

If***
PO still sounds berra than someone who believes it’s his turn to rule

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown / Reps Move To Develop South East Development Commission / Revealed : The Biological Mother Of President Jonathans’ Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.