Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,218 members, 7,815,257 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:44 AM

Peter Obi Supported SSS Illegal Detention Of El-Rufai In Anambra (2013) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Peter Obi Supported SSS Illegal Detention Of El-Rufai In Anambra (2013) (5125 Views)

PDP Governors Reject El-Rufai In 2-Man Race For NGF Chairman / Emir Ado Bayero Presenting A Prize To El-Rufai In The 1970s / 2023 Loading: Osinbajo And El-Rufai In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Peter Obi Supported SSS Illegal Detention Of El-Rufai In Anambra (2013) by Bukayosakes: 10:46am On Aug 15, 2022
embarassedSSS detains El Rufai at Awka

•He has no business in Anambra, says Obi

Interim Deputy National Secretary of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Malam Nasir el-Rufai, was yesterday in Awka prevented from moving out of his hotel room to monitor the Anambra governorship election.

el-Rufai told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) at the ‘Finotel Hotel’ where he lodged that some armed men of the State Security Service (SSS) restrained him from moving out of the hotel to monitor the election.

He said:“I arrived in Awka by 7 p.m. on Friday and had a brief session with the APC candidate, Sen. Chris Ngige. When I came out to have my dinner, I saw three heavily armed SSS officers at the hotel.

“I asked them why they were following me; they told me that they were protecting me because Awka is not safe.

“I told them that I came with my own security. This morning, as I was about to have breakfast, they blocked the corridor and tried to restrain me from going out but I pushed by and went to the restaurant to eat.

“After my breakfast, I will be going to the APC Situation Room in town to monitor the election. I am being unlawfully detained here,’’ he said.

NAN reports that at this point, one of the SSS men entered the restaurant and confiscated the reporter’s tape recorder and deleted the recorded interview before returning it to her.

When contacted on telephone, the Director of SSS in the state, Mr. A.U. Okeiyi, confirmed the report, saying that el-Rufai was being protected.

“el-Rufai is not an ordinary person. If anything happens to him, they will blame the security,’’ .he said.

Heavily armed security men were seen guarding the premises of the hotel.

Anambra State Governor, Peter Obi, reacted angrily to the development.

He said the former minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) had no business in Anambra State on the day of election.

The governor said genuinely accredited observers are not hindered by anybody.

“Accredited observers are moving around freely. But I am not sure el-Rufai was accredited by INEC as an observer.

“Like I said before, he has no business or any reason to be in Anambra at this time. All he is doing is dragging the name of Anambra in the mud.

“I can’t go to Katsina and monitor a governorship election. This is a federation. Even if he belongs to a particular party, the party has chieftains in this state and people of the southeast extraction.

“People should know that we have one country and we must build it for our children. el- Rufai has no reason to be in Anambra State.

“Quote me anywhere. I can’t go to Katsina State or Kano or where ever he may come from and go and monitor elections there. He should stay there”.

https://thenationonlineng.net/sss-detains-el-rufai-awka/amp/

El-Rufai went to court and won

Unlawful detention: Court orders SSS to apologise to El-Rufai, pay him N2m in damages

The Federal High Court on Monday ordered the State Security Service to apologise to a former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nasir El-Rufai, and to pay him N2 million in damages for unlawful detention.

This follows the events of November 15 and 16 2013, during the last Anambra governorship elections, when SSS officials detained and harassed Mr. El-Rufai at the Finotel in Awka.

Dissatisfied with his treatment, and believing that the conduct of the SSS had no basis in law, Mr. El-Rufai approached the court for redress.

The case was listed as FHC/AWK/CS/310/13, with the SSS and the Attorney-General of the Federation as respondents.

Delivering judgment in Awka on Monday, Justice Ibrahim Bature Gafai held that the SSS has no statutory powers under the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 or under any Nigerian law to detain Mr. El-Rufai without showing cause to a court of competent jurisdiction.

The court therefore ordered the SSS to publish an apology in two national dailies for the unlawful and unconstitutional violation of his liberty.

In addition to the apology and monetary damages, the court also made significant pronouncements regarding the restriction of movement during elections.

The court declared that the Respondents have no powers under the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 or under any Nigerian law to either impose a general restriction on movement or restrict the applicant’s constitutional right of freedom of movement as enshrined in Section 34 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 on account of the Anambra State Gubernatorial election that took place on the 16th day of November, 2013 or any other election.

This decision has massive implications for the way government agencies routinely attempt to restrict movement of persons, especially during elections.
https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/168796-unlawful-detention-court-orders-sss-to-apologise-to-el-rufai-pay-him-n2m-in-damages.html

5 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Supported SSS Illegal Detention Of El-Rufai In Anambra (2013) by Nobody: 10:48am On Aug 15, 2022
Obi's observation is true.

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Supported SSS Illegal Detention Of El-Rufai In Anambra (2013) by rusher14: 10:50am On Aug 15, 2022
But Obi wants better treatment in Kaduna.

I pray oh!

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Supported SSS Illegal Detention Of El-Rufai In Anambra (2013) by Bukayosakes: 10:53am On Aug 15, 2022
topcatking:
It is false. El Rufai sued and won the case.

27 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Supported SSS Illegal Detention Of El-Rufai In Anambra (2013) by Throwback: 10:53am On Aug 15, 2022
Obi is as tribal as they come.

“Like I said before, he has no business or any reason to be in Anambra at this time. All he is doing is dragging the name of Anambra in the mud.

I can’t go to Katsina and monitor a governorship election. This is a federation. Even if he belongs to a particular party, the party has chieftains in this state and people of the southeast extraction.

“People should know that we have one country and we must build it for our children. el- Rufai has no reason to be in Anambra State.

Quote me anywhere. I can’t go to Katsina State or Kano or where ever he may come from and go and monitor elections there. He should stay there”.

Obi said he should be quoted anywhere, now he has been quoted.

He used his closeness to President Jonathan to abuse power by getting DSS to hold El Rufai hostage in Anambra.

From his tone I now realise that it is indeed true that he said all the words ascribed to him by those Northerners who lost their market in Anambra.

35 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Supported SSS Illegal Detention Of El-Rufai In Anambra (2013) by Throwback: 10:59am On Aug 15, 2022
topcatking:

You mean El Rufai who as a member of APC and part of the campaign team constituted by the APC to deliver the Anambra Governorship election, had no business being in Anambra for the said election.

Peter Obi cannot face his past, that is why he must lie to obtain his future.

33 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Supported SSS Illegal Detention Of El-Rufai In Anambra (2013) by Yibo(m): 11:09am On Aug 15, 2022
Peter Peter Obi is a thief

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Supported SSS Illegal Detention Of El-Rufai In Anambra (2013) by derecho(m): 11:10am On Aug 15, 2022
So?

4 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Supported SSS Illegal Detention Of El-Rufai In Anambra (2013) by slawomir: 7:07am On Aug 16, 2022
Damnnn niggar
And so

El rufai ain't got no business in anambra at that point in time

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Supported SSS Illegal Detention Of El-Rufai In Anambra (2013) by Racoon(m): 7:07am On Aug 16, 2022
El Rufai have no business then being in Anambra so it will not be unusual for the DSS to detained him

16 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Supported SSS Illegal Detention Of El-Rufai In Anambra (2013) by popez: 7:07am On Aug 16, 2022
Does Peter Obi now control the DSS? You people should leave the man y'all swore had no structure. What is this obsession? cheesy

You can't stop a mission who's time has come. Know this and know peace.

Vote common sense. Vote TeamNigeria

15 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Supported SSS Illegal Detention Of El-Rufai In Anambra (2013) by igbarasdynasty: 7:08am On Aug 16, 2022
grin

The most remarkable achievement of this present Government is their discovery of another Natural resources which is LIE.
they have used this resource to development every sector of the economy and all have been impacted drastically.

The only thing they could manage well is LIES. anyone that joins the APC is transformed to defend LIES.

VOTE wisely.... VOTE LP, VOTE OBI/DATTI

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Supported SSS Illegal Detention Of El-Rufai In Anambra (2013) by LuxInnovation1: 7:08am On Aug 16, 2022

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Supported SSS Illegal Detention Of El-Rufai In Anambra (2013) by Passionate888: 7:08am On Aug 16, 2022
How is it illegal?

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Supported SSS Illegal Detention Of El-Rufai In Anambra (2013) by Naijasermons(f): 7:08am On Aug 16, 2022
Wow
Re: Peter Obi Supported SSS Illegal Detention Of El-Rufai In Anambra (2013) by Goodmanamen: 7:08am On Aug 16, 2022
We want a better nigeria not all this rubbish,I never chop ooo

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi Supported SSS Illegal Detention Of El-Rufai In Anambra (2013) by ecolime(m): 7:08am On Aug 16, 2022
You guys should keep digging. It won't stop us from voting Peter Obi in 2023.

See key extract below.

Anambra State Governor, Peter Obi, reacted angrily to the development.

He said the former minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) had no business in Anambra State on the day of election.

The governor said genuinely accredited observers are not hindered by anybody.

“Accredited observers are moving around freely

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Supported SSS Illegal Detention Of El-Rufai In Anambra (2013) by Hndrrxxx(m): 7:08am On Aug 16, 2022
Man that nigga slick asf

Say Bohari 2.0
Re: Peter Obi Supported SSS Illegal Detention Of El-Rufai In Anambra (2013) by 5iine: 7:09am On Aug 16, 2022
Re: Peter Obi Supported SSS Illegal Detention Of El-Rufai In Anambra (2013) by tadiemo: 7:09am On Aug 16, 2022
Why is it that when you say you want a better Nigeria without mentioning the name of any candidate, everybody will think you are talking about Peter Obi?

12 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Supported SSS Illegal Detention Of El-Rufai In Anambra (2013) by mayowayon: 7:09am On Aug 16, 2022
Politics go just make people find out your history wella
Re: Peter Obi Supported SSS Illegal Detention Of El-Rufai In Anambra (2013) by InvestorVee(m): 7:09am On Aug 16, 2022
Everywhere na peter obi for nairaland this morning lol

6 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Supported SSS Illegal Detention Of El-Rufai In Anambra (2013) by Bethel4Life(f): 7:09am On Aug 16, 2022
Throwback:
Obi is as tribal as they come.

Obi said he should be quoted anywhere, now he has been quoted.

He used his closeness to President Jonathan to abuse power by getting DSS to hold El Rufai hostage in Anambra.

From his tone I now realise that it is indeed true that he said all the words ascribed to him by those Northerners who lost their market in Anambra.
Apc clutching at straws

Peter Obi is right, it isn't morally right go to another state and be going around on election day for monitoring as a governor or a VIP especially if ur not from the state

Example is the just concluded election in Osun
Pdp governors came but they stayed in a hotel and observed the election there.. what will u think if those pdp governors started moving around on that election day Wouldn't Apc shout Election Interference

Peter Obi on his part will never go to another states election and be moving about in that election day in the guise of monitoring

Quote me on that

Throwback:

at the bolded, propaganda cannot take u anywhere zone.bie

Show me evidence of the bolded and I will credit u with 100k

Peter obi never did that.. but as a BAT stard urchin that u are, u will believe it hook, line and propagate it..

I repeat show me the evidence of ur claims at the bolded, if not It will become known as its already known that ur really a liar and a scum not fit to live with humans

Challenge starts now

5 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Supported SSS Illegal Detention Of El-Rufai In Anambra (2013) by AuroraB(f): 7:09am On Aug 16, 2022
Person wey Dem no suppose release from that detention grin

3 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Supported SSS Illegal Detention Of El-Rufai In Anambra (2013) by greenermodels: 7:09am On Aug 16, 2022
Would El Rufai try that rubbish in Rivers state under Wike and live to tell the story? Would any southerner try it in Kaduna state under El Rufai and live to tell the story? Peter Obi is a sane and moderate human being, El Rufai is a blood sucking devil in human form. Nairaland moderators, shame on you.

NB: El Rufai doesn't even have a polling unit in Anambra nor can he vote there so what did he even go there to do on election day? Election days have restricted movements for everybody including potential trouble makers and election riggers.

4 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Supported SSS Illegal Detention Of El-Rufai In Anambra (2013) by anonimi: 7:09am On Aug 16, 2022
Bukayosakes:

It is false. El Rufai sued and won the case.

You dey mind the ZombieDients who tell lies anyhow like their fraudulent idol Peter Obi?
Who is fooled by their lies? Definitely not me and my household. Definitely not.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Supported SSS Illegal Detention Of El-Rufai In Anambra (2013) by mployer(m): 7:10am On Aug 16, 2022
Its a better news he was detained than hearing he was attacked in Anambra.

He actually came to drag Anambra name to mud but Obi outsmarted him.

4 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Supported SSS Illegal Detention Of El-Rufai In Anambra (2013) by Raxxye(m): 7:10am On Aug 16, 2022
So we should take this as one of the reasons we should not vote Peter Obi in the coming elections; bc he ordered SSS to detain El-Rufai, another State governor like himself in Anambra State? How ridiculous!
When did SSS, a federal security outfit, start taking orders from a State governor?
At about that same period(2013-2015) Rotimi Amaechi, the Rivers State Governor was crying daily about how the Police was harassing him daily in his own Rivers State through one Akin Fakorede, who was the head of SARS or so. Infact, Police once blocked the entrance of Obio/Akpor council secretariat for months and refused to allow the Council Chairman who was loyal to Amaechi access to his office. Would you still hold the governor responsible for such?
You see why this story doesn't make sense? You guys should try something else.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"Nawa O" —davido Reacts To Ongoing Presidential Tribunal Judgment / Obj To Quit Politics / Disobedient Nnamdi Kanu Stays With 20 People Today PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.