Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,694 members, 7,831,163 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:42 PM

Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? (20503 Views)

Is This Employment Letter Genuine? (pics) / Job Employment Offer / How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by Yimmicks: 4:16pm On Aug 15, 2022
Sound like Mikano, if so, run ooo....
Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by toprealman: 4:17pm On Aug 15, 2022
PavillionEnergy:
Hello Nairalanders,
I need advice regarding this opportunity.

I applied for an Engineering Graduate Trainee Position recently. I wrote the aptitude and technical tests and passed. I also attended the interview and I was successful.

The Contract Form was sent to me and I saw some clauses that I need to discuss here before I append my signature.

1. The training runs for two years before conversion to a full staff.

2. You cannot terminate the contract for the training once you sign. You must stay for the full two years.

3. There is a canteen at the factory, but you have to buy the food.

4. There is no full HMO benefits but the factory has a clinic to attend to medical needs of the trainee.

5. The gross pay for the first year is 50K. The gross pay for the second year is 70K and from the third year, you earn 100K.

6. The company does not offer accommodation for the trainees.

7. I am not sure if the company uses staff bus.

8. Work is Monday to Saturday. 9:00AM to 6:00PM. Although Saturday work ends by 1:00PM

NOTE: I stay in the FCT so I would need to relocate. The company is in Lagos.

Slavery
Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by mandikwilliams: 4:18pm On Aug 15, 2022
[quote author=PavillionEnergy post=115728682]Hello Nairalanders,

I applied for an Engineering Graduate Trainee Position recently. I wrote the aptitude and technical tests and passed. I also attended the interview and I was successful.

The Contract Form was sent to me and I saw some clauses that I need to discuss here before I append my signature.

2. You cannot terminate the contract for the training once you sign. You must stay for the full two years.

4. There is no full HMO benefits but the factory has a clinic to attend to medical needs of the trainee.

5. The gross pay for the first year is 50K. The gross pay for the second year is 70K and from the third year, you earn 100K.

8. Work is Monday to Saturday. 9:00AM to 6:00PM. Although Saturday work ends by 1:00PM

Don't look at the benefit but the experience you will gain within the space of the said period and enrich your CV.
Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by thegrinch(m): 4:19pm On Aug 15, 2022
Na Only for Lagos you go see Jobless man advising person wey wan get job!

For Comparison, check the Above poster... That is a sensible person!

Orlaoluwayimika:
Honest feedback.

This is slavery in disguise.

The pay is nonsense pay 50k gross (40k net at most).
No lunch, no trport.

2 yrs bond on a 40k salary in Lagos, u go hear wehn cos na hunger and anger go finish u
You will regret taking such offer cos Ur salary can't take u home let alone u having a take home.

Run Run Run.
It is slavery in disguise.

My guess is the coy is either a Chinese/india/lebanese coy cos na dem dey do this kind nonesense.

I'm repeating it Run and keep searching. U re beta off unemployed than slaving away for this kinda contract

Modified
OP don't mind anyone telling u to accept the offer. It is modern day slavery raise to power 2..

Surviving in Lagos with this kinda pay no be beans oo.
Transportation alone will finish this pay let alone feeding and accommodation even if u ve free trport, accommodation and feeding it is still a No No. 2 years bond for a graduate on a 40k salary.

The only thing that can make me advise u to accept this offer is if:
1 there is no bonding
2 u ve free accommodation, transportation and feeding.

If any of the 2 above is missing don't try it cos u will regret it
Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by idu1(m): 4:20pm On Aug 15, 2022
Nonsense offer.
Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by Socratiz: 4:26pm On Aug 15, 2022
My question is

If you cannot terminate the contract during the probation if two years, can they company terminate it?

Seems you are bound to the company but the company is not bound to you. This is why this arrangement is suspicious.

If this is an Indian/ Lebanese/ Chinese company, you're in big trouble because you will work till you drop. Every opportunity to reduce your monthly stipends would be seized.

You will be lucky to go home with 30k per month.

Forget about working Monday to Friday, you will work even on Sunday 9am to 5pm.

Think very well before you hand yourself with this rope

1 Like

Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by Trojan8(m): 4:29pm On Aug 15, 2022
After 3 years, still on 100k salary. Meanwhile you can sit down invest six months to GMAT, and try your hands on better firms. That salary is slavery bro. I am on a GT program, and it is basically x4 of what you posted there. I don't want to imagine what three years would look like.
Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by Highman56: 4:42pm On Aug 15, 2022
Asin 70k for the whole year or monthly?
Brother I go advise as my blood brother use your two legs and run from that company
Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by odimbannamdi(m): 4:45pm On Aug 15, 2022
PavillionEnergy:
Hello Nairalanders,

Op, I WON'T advise you take the offer. Even at gross value, the month take-home is too low. The total value proposition is shitty.

If you must take it (probably on the basis of career alignment or dire need for the salary), and them what options are available in the event that you want to terminate the contract
Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by Lordhynet: 4:47pm On Aug 15, 2022
I take God beg you no take am, Lagos Expenses no be beans, na waste of two years beside Dem go overwork you
Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by Lordhynet: 4:48pm On Aug 15, 2022
I take God beg you no take am, Lagos Expenses no be beans, na waste of two years beside Dem go overwork you [color=#006600][/color]
Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by Micval: 4:48pm On Aug 15, 2022
[quote author=PavillionEnergy post=115728682]Hello Nairalanders,

The only time these comes into effect is when your new place of work send back a reference letter to where you ate coming from, other wise, you ll just resign, using person reason as the issue and move on
Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by DeOTR: 4:51pm On Aug 15, 2022
TheNiceGuy:
I'm very sure you don't know the gravity of the agreement he'll sign.

You can't leave within that two years, you think it's a joke angry

Nothing will happen.
I have signed such bond before, though far better pay, and I even had to issue an undated check of 1.5M to the company.
When I got a better offer, all I had to do is stop attending stand-ups and turning up tasks late. They had to terminate the appointment themselves. The worst thing that happened is I never featured the experience in my employment history.

1 Like

Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by beezyblaze(m): 4:53pm On Aug 15, 2022
tunjidachosen:
Everything is not all about money...if it aligns well with your future goals and ambitions, then take it and get the experience..money can't buy experience. The most important thing for a fresh graduate is to learn first hand, the money is important but more important is the experience. Just be sure that they are well structured so that you can even learn not just the job but how an organisation is setup and run.

Yeah money can’t buy experience but then what do one need work experiences for??
Isn’t it to give you the relevant skills and in-dept knowledge that qualifies you or make you worthy of a higher pay boss??

Or is there something I’m missing?

1 Like

Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by donogaga(m): 4:59pm On Aug 15, 2022
Lawalabiodun:

To be sincere my brother, in regards to what you listed above, definitely if you get a better offer within the space of that two(2) years, you are going nowhere.

My advice goes thus, provided you are doing nothing for now and the said GT program aligns with the career path you want for yourself, kindly accept the offer, be prayerful and hope that better opportunities locate you at the end of your time with the said company, best wishes in your future endeavors bro.

No responsible and or reputable company would draft such contract. It's a red flag.

He shouldn't accept it.
Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by awoo47: 5:03pm On Aug 15, 2022
Lawalabiodun:

To be sincere my brother, in regards to what you listed above, definitely if you get a better offer within the space of that two(2) years, you are going nowhere.

My advice goes thus, provided you are doing nothing for now and the said GT program aligns with the career path you want for yourself, kindly accept the offer, be prayerful and hope that better opportunities locate you at the end of your time with the said company, best wishes in your future endeavors bro.
grin cheesy

Only mumu will fall for that...
If you wan comot, you go comot

Nothing wey anybody fit do

1 Like

Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by youngprof1999(m): 5:04pm On Aug 15, 2022
PavillionEnergy:
Hello Nairalanders,

Don’t take it, look for another job
Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by awoo47: 5:06pm On Aug 15, 2022
Regex:

What kind of contract does not leave the worker room to terminate if one is no longer interested?

Please do not accept such offer. You are not a slave.
that contract is illegal
I will collect it and leave, they can't do anything. It's plain scare tactics

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by Lawalabiodun(m): 5:06pm On Aug 15, 2022
donogaga:

No responsible and or reputable company would draft such contract. It's a red flag.

He shouldn't accept it.

I'm not antagonizing your opinion to him, but the truth is both of us do not know the financial status of the questioner, so if the said offer would assist him to have a reasonable experience along his career path, then why not?

Only God knows best, thanks for your Input.
Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by XX01(f): 5:09pm On Aug 15, 2022
PavillionEnergy:
Hello Nairalanders,

They cannot keep you hostage. That runs against the anti slavery law. If you find a better job, wait till you've been paid then put in your resignation letter and move. Find out how your new company does reference letters etc.

That's such an anti-labour contract.
Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by alphabbey1(m): 5:11pm On Aug 15, 2022
aikyg:
Take the offer. As a graduate trainee, you'll have the opportunity of a steady income while you improve your technical and administrative skills. Two years is just 24 months. Make sure that you spend the two years wisely. Invest in certifications and do not spend money on unnecessary things. Good luck!
Hear yourself. 50k monthly, no accommodation, no feeding, no transport.
You know how much is data subscription alone per month ?
Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by 506olufikunayo: 5:12pm On Aug 15, 2022
Modern day slavery,I guess the company is manage by indians.Modern day slavery,I guess the company is manage by indians....
Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by Brunicekid(m): 5:25pm On Aug 15, 2022
donogaga:

Don't take it bro.

Try and source for funds by all means necessary and leave that Country. I bet you won't regret it.
Source for money through which means??

The fact that you can't leave in the first two years is not encouraging, though..
Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by Brunicekid(m): 5:26pm On Aug 15, 2022
SimplyAJ:
Wait let me get something first. Is gross pay monthly or yearly? grin
If it's yearly, then it's a no no. Better offers ahead. cool
Cuz I don't see how 50k in a year would meet your daily needs (even of you're still living with your parents)
Definitely, this should be yearly naa.. OP, I know it's monthly..Am I right?
Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by alphabbey1(m): 5:29pm On Aug 15, 2022
vivavik:
Please don't fail to take up this opportunity,
1. You would gain experience
2. Leave your comfort zone and stretch yourself for greatness.
3. Never say never, something great can come out of it.
Don't place monies ahead of knowledge, I made this mistake as a start up and I wasn't too happy afterwards.
Most importantly pray about it. I prayed and God made me recover.
By No 2, I guess you mean "leave your comfort zone and stretch yourself for Slavery"

By the time Hunger wire him and he start begging his friends for money, he will know what he has enmeshed himself in. A company put in contract that you can't leave till end of 2 years, you think they don't know the hardship he's coming for....
In Lagos, you want to survive on 50k with no free accommodation, no free transportation, no free feeding.

First of all, he can't get anything apart from face me and face you house where room will be in oshodi and bathroom will be in agege....

Let's say he spend 1k per day on food which is almost impossible. That's already 30k per month.

Brooooooo. Monday to Saturday - 50k.... 9 to 6pm, Erasing any mindset of side hustle....... To even think of the fact this company made applicants write exams and strict interview. That company will reap its fruit for this wickedness....
Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by tundayajis12(m): 5:42pm On Aug 15, 2022
Orlaoluwayimika:
Honest feedback.

This is slavery in disguise.

The pay is nonsense pay 50k gross (40k net at most).
No lunch, no trport.

2 yrs bond on a 40k salary in Lagos, u go hear wehn cos na hunger and anger go finish u
You will regret taking such offer cos Ur salary can't take u home let alone u having a take home.

Run Run Run.
It is slavery in disguise.

My guess is the coy is either a Chinese/india/lebanese coy cos na dem dey do this kind nonesense.

I'm repeating it Run and keep searching. U re beta off unemployed than slaving away for this kinda contract

Modified
OP don't mind anyone telling u to accept the offer. It is modern day slavery raise to power 2..

Surviving in Lagos with this kinda pay no be beans oo.
Transportation alone will finish this pay let alone feeding and accommodation even if u ve free trport, accommodation and feeding it is still a No No. 2 years bond for a graduate on a 40k salary.

The only thing that can make me advise u to accept this offer is if:
1 there is no bonding
2 u ve free accommodation, transportation and feeding.

If any of the 2 above is missing don't try it cos u will regret it

I second this

1 Like

Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by alphabbey1(m): 5:43pm On Aug 15, 2022
tunjidachosen:
Everything is not all about money...if it aligns well with your future goals and ambitions, then take it and get the experience..money can't buy experience. The most important thing for a fresh graduate is to learn first hand, the money is important but more important is the experience. Just be sure that they are well structured so that you can even learn not just the job but how an organisation is setup and run.

I can't belive I live in same country with a misologist such as owner of this quoted comment.
Is it that bolded comment he will tell his landlord, Transport driver, food seller, internet company.... Or you've forgotten work start from 9am and end 6pm. Meaning no side hustle, income is only depended on the meagre salary.... OP only saving grace have to be if he's still collecting pocket money from his parent

1 Like

Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by Carlyboi(m): 5:56pm On Aug 15, 2022
Two things are wrong with your offer,no,scrap that,it’s three things,the terms of your offer,the duration and lastly and most importantly the pay check....this company isn’t willing to give you no breaks aren’t willing to compensate or compromise I won’t necessarily say it’s a slave deal but it’s more of a “ beast of burden “ kinda situation

It’s an engineering role so obviously you won’t be lounging off,Also the work-hours (9-6pm)is long and tight,it’s a full time engaging and arduous role,no perks (accommodation,feeding or transportation)i won’t say you shouldn’t take the offer cos I don’t encourage idling but before you take a refuse the offer do an in-depth inquisition in to the company,have a better grasp of your working conditions and how important is staff welfare to them,if you can speak with present or ex-employees that would be perfect ,so as to know what exactly you’re getting into,you can ask God about it if you believe him cos he is an all-knower the place might hold great prospects for you despite the stringent and ridiculous T & Cs,the experience can also serve you in good stead.

Lastly if anything else can’t be adjusted on the contract at least try and remove or reduce the 2year binding period to at most 6months.Wish you the best on your journey and hope you have a clarity of mind while making a decision.
Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by JayIsforGod(m): 6:01pm On Aug 15, 2022
Take the Offer ; Work & gain experience that is this is in your area of specialty.

Once you have gained skills , knowledge & experience kindly look out for another Job with better pay & working condition. Them never killed anybody who terminated his/her contract for lack of interest or underpayment before & yourself won't be first.

This Lagos ; even if you are paid #150k , na managing level you dey . . . .expensive plenty!!!
Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by Noblex2011(m): 6:07pm On Aug 15, 2022
Getting 45k as net salary in Lagos doesn't worth it. I assumed 45k as net salary after the deductions. If it is Ibadan, Akure, Osun or Kwara , I would have advise you to take it because you can still manage yourself with that. Even with 45k in those states, you will still need to lend money at times from people. But if I am in your shoe, I will never go for 45k net salary in Lagos. You can make your decision sha but for me , it is a capital no.#japa
Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by alphabbey1(m): 6:14pm On Aug 15, 2022
thegrinch:
Na Only for Lagos you go see Jobless man advising person wey wan get job!

For Comparison, check the Above poster... That is a sensible person!

Only 3 category of people reason like you

1) People with CGPA that's nothing to write home about and still have no self value

2) People with no hope of making it in life

3) People still living under there parent

Earning 150k monthly with no incentive in Lagos is still living below poverty level..... it will take you donkey years to be able to afford Corrola 2005....
I belive you are still being spoon fed, reason for thinking these funds are big...

1 Like

Re: Graduate Trainee: Should I Take This Employment Offer? by colizee(m): 6:16pm On Aug 15, 2022
donogaga:

Don't take it bro.

Try and source for funds by all means necessary and leave that Country. I bet you won't regret it.

Source for funds? I don't get it.

As in open a GoFundMe account or what?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview / How Do You Feel Staying At Home On A Monday Morning? Share Your Experience. / Top 10 Core Questions You MUST Ask In A Job Interview To Land Your Dream Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.