Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,101 members, 7,811,097 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:18 PM

Let's Discuss USED Vehicles - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Let's Discuss USED Vehicles (22088 Views)

Cheap European Used Vehicles At Very Good Prices / Cheap European Used Vehicles Less Than 1m / Contact Bettycars for cheap European used vehicles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Discuss USED Vehicles by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:05pm On Aug 21, 2022
There's this good feeling of pride, accomplishment, security, prestige and closure when an individual buys a foreign used vehicle. Usually the assumption is he/she has gotten a vehicle that was well maintained by the previous owner/owners, under satisfactory automotive industry standards.

Foreign used vehicles come in from a lot geographical locations across the world, e.g South Africa , China, Japan, Europe, middle East, USA , and Canada. These are top on the list for vehicles frequently imported into Nigeria.

I will comment from background in vehicle maintenance and sales about observations I have made in this regard. I may not be able to cover topics as it is very broad, but I am sure before the end of page 1 you will get to the heart of the matter.

Let's start with Trucks and proper SUVs (non ajebo)

The Toyota Hilux , Prado, Fortuner, Lexus LX series are very popular within government circles as utility and operational vehicles, also in the private sector mostly used by the site engineers , security operatives, and VIPs . No doubt these are very reliable brands, and they command a lot of prestige and respect among other road users as they are usually accompanied by armed security agents.

Unfortunately you would seldom ever find them in the American market, they are usually bought brand new and shipped in from Japan or the middle East or South Africa.

Nigerian Used versions of these models are very popular, although most are upgraded and many do not have custom duty, but the foreign used are not so popular reason why the Nigerian used is heavily patronised.

https://www.nairaland.com/6602304/superb-toyota-hilux-2018-upgraded

https://www.nairaland.com/5842062/upgrade-toyota-hilux-latest-models

Getting brand new units would cost about ₦36m - ₦50m So the industry diversified Into upgrades. Suddenly All the abandoned rundown 4x4 Hilux suddenly became valuable the engines were rebuilt / replaced, Interiors upgraded and redone, fresh paintwork and a modern body kit installed. Prices between 8-15m and now more affordable. It was a win win for buyers and sellers, buyers didn't have to spend so much getting a basic utility vehicle , while sellers, and spare part dealers smiled to the bank. At the end the pride, and prestige was intact cheesy

The Prados a d Lexus's of same category followed same pattern.

3 Likes

Re: Let's Discuss USED Vehicles by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:05pm On Aug 21, 2022
Before I go far , this thread is not aimed to discourage people from buying Foreign Used cars, but to reason.

Let's look at popular Suvs gotten from the Canadian market Clean title.

The Honda CRV 2009-2012
The Rav4 2008-2018
The Lexus Rx330/350 2004-2009
The Lexus Rx350 2010-2018
The Pontiac Torrent 2006-2009
Mercedes ML350 2009-2012

With mileages Ranging from 100-200,000 miles these were usually very good buys assuming due diligence was done, usually the main worry was getting them to Nigeria in shortest possible time via containerised transport usually between 3-4months landing time. As I said when due diligence was done, Canadian used cars are great seldom had engine or transmission related issues and the Mexicans do not operate as often in that route.

But sadly there are more vehicles which would have missed due diligence than those that did, and those vehicles eventually do go for thanks giving and surprise birthday gifts

Let's pick 1 vehicle out of the samples above

2011 rav4 Foreign used Limited Edition V6 engine 4x4 (no due diligence)

Typically this would currently sell for about 5.5-6m

Without due diligence you would be looking at one or more of the following issues (which are very common by the way)

3 sec Rattle on cold startup.

Rear suspension noise .

Missing or stolen catalysts .

Transmission noise or howl while driving.

Worn out or winter tyres .

Rust on suspension members.

Note this is a clean title ,

Repairs would cost roughly 500k-1m with some repairs that would be exempted and the owner left to live with the issues as there is no guarantee a replacement unit will not have same defect (transmission noise, 3sec rattle)

Now let's look at possible available options of same vehicle Nigerian used.

Between 3-4m you would find same vehicle with varying degrees of issues .

History of engine overheat

Removed thermostat

Timing related issues

Sludge

Converted AC 's from auto to manual

Converted transmissions from 13-10 pin

Front and rear suspension issues

But also if you look diligently you will still find that less than one or 2 year used limited edition with a few scratches on the front and rear bumper, zero abuse to engine, suspension, air-conditioning, reasonable mileage without very good tyres.

With that 3-4m you most likely will only have to change ownership and get your own plates detail the interior and make it look nice the savings could get to almost 2m if you search well. Sometimes you could get same vehicle with everything intact but for the engine. Now I know not so many people want the stress of buying a car and resuming capital projects like engine replacements but sometimes it's good to think deep if the assessment is just a defective engine or transmission or suspension and the price difference is ₦3m while the parts are ₦1m shouldn't I take it?

More vehicles and examples to follow

10 Likes

Re: Let's Discuss USED Vehicles by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:05pm On Aug 21, 2022
Now let's stray into some very common foreign used vehicles

2005-2007 Toyota Corolla 3.8-4m

The 2009- 2013 corolla 4-5.5m

The 2003- 2006 Camry 3m

The 2007-2009 Camry. 4-5m

The 2005-2007 corolla can easily be found at 1.7-3m If you search diligently and most times in very good state of repairs. Engine and transmissions usually the main defects for the cheaper ones with a maximum of 400k for a full engine and 200k for transmission. As long as the body and Interior is great not a bad idea to buy one and install a great engine or transmission or both? You might never know the Toks might not come with and engine as sound as the one you are putting into it wink.

The 2009-2013 reasonable reg cars start from 2.5m to as high as 3,100,000 (kill ya sef) major issues with registered vehicles are

Steering rack
Air-conditioning
Engine
Catalytic converter

Engine is really expensive ₦500,000 deal breaker if you find one with a bad engine, air-conditioning can be tricky to fix the VDV compressor can be a pain in the behind if you are using (tokumbor) used replacements, steering rack a quick repair is about 10k does not last long, foreign used is ₦50,000 a new China clone less than 100k OEM don't even think it wink .

2003-2006 Camry from 1.5- 2.5m for the cheap ones always a bad 2az engine or and an abused 13pin transmission, it will set you back almost 800k if you jam the 2. But there are so many that have neither issues and you could save so much money (₦500k +) if you diligently search.

The 2007-2009 Camry Engine, transmission and air-conditioning. Registered ones sit between 2m- 2.8m air-conditioning can be a pain in the behind if you are using used parts, avoid any with a defective transmission, it's not a very easy battle cheesy, but again if you look well you will find reg ones under 3m with new tyres and no issues .

4 Likes

Re: Let's Discuss USED Vehicles by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:06pm On Aug 21, 2022
Re: Let's Discuss USED Vehicles by HOTARIO(m): 4:22pm On Aug 21, 2022
Nice thread. Let me add the Mitsubishi Pajero to the list and its interestingly the most affordable to scoop up, while holding up nicely. It's an underrated champion and a solid work horse with nice manners and street credibility.

1 Like

Re: Let's Discuss USED Vehicles by Trustme2(m): 4:44pm On Aug 21, 2022
Following
Re: Let's Discuss USED Vehicles by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:03pm On Aug 21, 2022
HOTARIO:
Nice thread. Let me add the Mitsubishi Pajero to the list and its interestingly the most affordable to scoop up, while holding up nicely. It's an underrated champion and a solid work horse with nice manners and street credibility.

I agree with you. But Mitsubishi parts are not as easy to find as it's close counterparts in the Japanese realm. And rebuilds are more common than replacements.
Re: Let's Discuss USED Vehicles by Sellfish(m): 6:00pm On Aug 21, 2022
Nice discourse

Experts might kindly clarify us on the general supposition that these upgraded vehicles suffer structural and general safety compromise as a result of these upgrades..

Thanks
Re: Let's Discuss USED Vehicles by Reelz: 6:29pm On Aug 21, 2022
Not forgetting Toyota siennas of all models.. that vehicle can handle so much load but also requires good maintenance..
Re: Let's Discuss USED Vehicles by dannydevito(m): 6:37pm On Aug 21, 2022
Nice thread,
The issue I see with used cars is the case of abuse and no maintenance history..... Remember we Sabi manage things for this side........... Waiting for more write up
Re: Let's Discuss USED Vehicles by Kingdemu: 6:43pm On Aug 21, 2022
Gazzuzz, I agree with your sentiments on the wise purchase of diligently used Naija used vehicles to save cost and achieve same results. The problem for laymen like me is where and how to get the particular make, model and year of the one we want, most especially those of us who live far away from cosmopolitan city areas.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's Discuss USED Vehicles by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:03pm On Aug 21, 2022
Updated. More writeup soon

1 Like

Re: Let's Discuss USED Vehicles by Kreamie(m): 7:37pm On Aug 21, 2022
Ff
Re: Let's Discuss USED Vehicles by aieromon(m): 7:43pm On Aug 21, 2022
GAZZUZZ:
Before I go far , this thread is not aimed to discourage people from buying Foreign Used cars, but to reason.

I'm confused comrade
Re: Let's Discuss USED Vehicles by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:07pm On Aug 21, 2022
aieromon:

I'm confused comrade

Where you miss road? cheesy

Last last the pocket will decide, not every one has time to be checking multiple reg vehicles
Re: Let's Discuss USED Vehicles by aieromon(m): 8:14pm On Aug 21, 2022
GAZZUZZ:

Where you miss road? cheesy

Last last the pocket will decide, not every one has time to be checking multiple reg vehicles

Your sudden love for used-in-Nigeria vehicles.

5 Likes

Re: Let's Discuss USED Vehicles by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:28pm On Aug 21, 2022
aieromon:

Your sudden love for used-in-Nigeria vehicles.

Our sudden reality, they are all used cars, just get a good one wink

20 Likes

Re: Let's Discuss USED Vehicles by Wisebird22(m): 8:34pm On Aug 21, 2022
It been long we heard from you, thanks for coming back,pls where is ikenna the three lion king
Re: Let's Discuss USED Vehicles by smartty68(m): 8:43pm On Aug 21, 2022
Learning.
Re: Let's Discuss USED Vehicles by Aakanbi(m): 8:54pm On Aug 21, 2022
GAZZUZZ:
There's this good feeling of pride, accomplishment, security, prestige and closure when an individual buys a foreign used vehicle. Usually the assumption is he/she has gotten a vehicle that was well maintained by the previous owner/owners, under satisfactory automotive industry standards.

Foreign used vehicles come in from a lot geographical locations across the world, e.g South Africa , China, Japan, Europe, middle East, USA , and Canada. These are top on the list for vehicles frequently imported into Nigeria.

I will comment from background in vehicle maintenance and sales about observations I have made in this regard. I may not be able to cover topics as it is very broad, but I am sure before the end of page 1 you will get to the heart of the matter.

Let's start with Trucks and proper SUVs (non ajebo)

The Toyota Hilux , Prado, Fortuner, Lexus LX series are very popular within government circles as utility and operational vehicles, also in the private sector mostly used by the site engineers , security operatives, and VIPs . No doubt these are very reliable brands, and they command a lot of prestige and respect among other road users as they are usually accompanied by armed security agents.

Unfortunately you would seldom ever find them in the American market, they are usually bought brand new and shipped in from Japan or the middle East or South Africa.

Nigerian Used versions of these models are very popular, although most are upgraded and many do not have custom duty, but the foreign used are not so popular reason why the Nigerian used is heavily patronised.

https://www.nairaland.com/6602304/superb-toyota-hilux-2018-upgraded

https://www.nairaland.com/5842062/upgrade-toyota-hilux-latest-models

Getting brand new units would cost about ₦36m - ₦50m So the industry diversified Into upgrades. Suddenly All the abandoned rundown 4x4 Hilux suddenly became valuable the engines were rebuilt / replaced, Interiors upgraded and redone, fresh paintwork and a modern body kit installed. Prices between 8-15m and now more affordable. It was a win win for buyers and sellers, buyers didn't have to spend so much getting a basic utility vehicle , while sellers, and spare part dealers smiled to the bank. At the end the pride, and prestige was intact cheesy

The Prados a d Lexus's of same category followed same pattern.

What are your thoughts of Renault cars in particular Logan and Duster

Re: Let's Discuss USED Vehicles by petrusevents(m): 9:14pm On Aug 21, 2022
Nice thread Sir,

I was discussing with a friend who is keen on buying tokunba 2006 Corolla
Told him to get naija used for 1.6m
Used around 600k to upgrade it instead of spending about 3.5m to get a tokunbo one with about 150km millage

13 Likes

Re: Let's Discuss USED Vehicles by davizfx: 11:12pm On Aug 21, 2022
Please add es330 to the list, what are the deal breakers for a Nigerian used one? Thanks
Re: Let's Discuss USED Vehicles by thecuteone(m): 3:23am On Aug 22, 2022
Following
Re: Let's Discuss USED Vehicles by Sellfish(m): 3:41am On Aug 22, 2022
petrusevents:
Nice thread Sir,

Used around 600k to upgrade it instead of spending about 3.5m to get a tokunbo one with about 150km millage

Not practicable in these present times
Re: Let's Discuss USED Vehicles by boldx(m): 4:45am On Aug 22, 2022
Following
Re: Let's Discuss USED Vehicles by pacino26(m): 5:27am On Aug 22, 2022
Baba Gazzuz on the beat. A very interesting read given the times we live in. Most importantly make all the comrades of vawulence stand down before they will come to derail this beautiful thread.

Kindly consider discussing some stereotyped models and brands eg BMW X6 and Audi A and Q series of the Nigerian used market.

Re: Let's Discuss USED Vehicles by Sellfish(m): 5:54am On Aug 22, 2022
pacino26:
Baba Gazzuz on the beat. A very interesting read given the times we live in. Most importantly make all the comrades of vawulence stand down before they will come to derail this beautiful thread.

Kindly consider discussing some stereotyped models and brands eg BMW X6 and Audi A and Q series of the Nigerian used market.

Cc

DJreloaded
Buygala
Angrygoat
OfficialDJ
Kewtt
Verywickedman
Cokahot
All Oga Tunde's monikers

Kindly stay off this thread..

Na God we take beg una

Re: Let's Discuss USED Vehicles by Djreloaded(m): 6:11am On Aug 22, 2022
GAZZUZZ:

Our sudden reality, they are all used cars, just get a good one wink
I agree with this assertion. Wholeheartedly.

1 Like

Re: Let's Discuss USED Vehicles by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:37am On Aug 22, 2022
petrusevents:
Nice thread Sir,

Very good deal if he can find one. The corolla is one vehicle that can always be restored with ease.
Re: Let's Discuss USED Vehicles by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:47am On Aug 22, 2022
pacino26:

These models will literarily send you back to the village grin the BMW's and abuse are 5&6, technical know how is limited, spares are not so popular once the electricals are messed up in most German vehicles, putting it together can be Herculean. I have a friend who buys 2 models of every German vehicle (foreign used) one to use, the other for parts, he litterarily strips anything he needs from the organ donor .

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's Discuss USED Vehicles by Kewtt: 8:10am On Aug 22, 2022
Interesting thread. But I have no contribution since OP is majorly talking about Toyota vehicles.....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

GLEAMING NEW RANGE ROVER EVOQUE UNVEILED !!! / Audi Set To Unveil Jaguar I-pace Fighter: The E-tron SUV / Distributors Needed Nationwide,buy Portable Electric Car Tyre Air Pump,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.