Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,490 members, 7,954,891 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 11:51 AM

I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar (2551 Views)

Atiku: I Will Hand Over Power To A Young President / Osinbajo Presides Over Federal Executive Council Meeting / Osinbajo: Buhari Will Hand Over To South-West In 2023 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by factcheckmmm: 3:37pm On Aug 22, 2022
Why don't tryit
Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by Blue3k(m): 3:39pm On Aug 22, 2022
Lol half of you are sweating reading this. Yall know your state can't run nothing efficiently. The states will just have to figure out how they want to fund it. They'll probably just allow schools to set tuitions if they're smart.

2 Likes

Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by Natbrowny: 3:39pm On Aug 22, 2022
TI1919:
This Man don't have any solution about Nigeria problem just like Buhari

The 3 main candidates no get anything.
Noone really can transform this nation

Too many issues
If south win, north n west go dey vex
If north win, west n south go parah
If west win, north n south go beef

Share dis naija to like 10 nations make place like Kaduna alone be 1 country grin

1 Like

Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by Patrioticbreed9(m): 3:48pm On Aug 22, 2022
Mynd44:
Ha! Does he actually know that he would need an act of NASS plus the states also do not possess the funds required to fund these schools. The states can't even fund their own schools not to mention adding more to it.

Universities should be allowed to run by themselves, allowed to set tuition charges and use the money to oay for the staff and other such needs. FG schools come in only when huge projects are needed. In the way, each school can set their wages and be autonomous.

That is the only way out

Wow! Briliant!

I never thought of this.

Just like normal school, universities should be allowed to manage their variouse institutions.

Mynd for president grin
Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by Patrioticbreed9(m): 3:49pm On Aug 22, 2022
kay1one:

Oga move Peter Obi posts at this NBA conference to front page.
Don't fight a moving train!
Na by force?
Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by Owopariola001: 4:06pm On Aug 22, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:
Hahaha!! If this report is true then it seems HE Atiku does not understand the issues. I can imagine asking Osun state to fund and manage OAU, it will be too much for Osun state.
check my signature for freebies!

It won't, but the tuition fees will definitely increase with at least 500%
Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by naijapips04: 4:10pm On Aug 22, 2022
Natbrowny:
If Lagos state handle Unilag

School fees na 7figures. grin grin cheesy cheesy

Why is Lasu not 7 figures? Unilag used to be a regional school.
Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by Okoroawusa: 4:11pm On Aug 22, 2022
Mynd44:
Ha! Does he actually know that he would need an act of NASS plus the states also do not possess the funds required to fund these schools. The states can't even fund their own schools not to mention adding more to it.

Universities should be allowed to run by themselves, allowed to set tuition charges and use the money to oay for the staff and other such needs. FG schools come in only when huge projects are needed. In the way, each school can set their wages and be autonomous.

That is the only way out
You have spoken well, bro
Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by MossLuv: 4:19pm On Aug 22, 2022
Hia! He wan come kill the educational system in Nigeria kpata kpata
Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by Mynd44: 4:42pm On Aug 22, 2022
nazicartel:
I have been trying to understand something. From Acceptance fee to sch fees. Does the universities pay all these money to the federal government?
Yes. Universities have no power to touch these funds.

Now in what I have explained, these Unis will have to generate funds to be better and improve. They can start giving 6,12,24 months diplomas for a fee where you can go get a diploma in restaurant handling now or Viewing centre management. They bring actual restaurant management of Viewing centre owners to lecture you, and you pay.

How can universities of Agriculture now have farm markets?
How can Universities of tech not be supplying the local markets with solutions to their basic tech needs?

These universities have become redundant and need to be off-loaded. This can't happen while the government still control them

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by princeSammyz: 5:04pm On Aug 22, 2022
This is a promising perspective, and I think we should dissect and look into it critically. Most persons are afraid and rightly so, giving the antecedents of state governments in handling institutions. But it will now be every state to himself. One advantage of this will be that a situation as we have now where almost the whole tertiary education system is brought to a stand still by industrial action will no longer arise. It is up to each state to keep its own ship afloat. The FG will probably be in charge of control/standards.
Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by XerXers: 5:36pm On Aug 22, 2022
Where will they get the money to run the universities. Unless there will be �% resource control
Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by Viscuz: 6:23pm On Aug 22, 2022
Okoroawusa:

You have spoken well, bro

My new follower welcome

Your High blood pressure never start

1 Like

Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by samuelpeters(m): 8:24pm On Aug 22, 2022
Mynd44:

Yes. Universities have no power to touch these funds.

Now in what I have explained, these Unis will have to generate funds to be better and improve. They can start giving 6,12,24 months diplomas for a fee where you can go get a diploma in restaurant handling now or Viewing centre management. They bring actual restaurant management of Viewing centre owners to lecture you, and you pay.

How can universities of Agriculture now have farm markets?
How can Universities of tech not be supplying the local markets with solutions to their basic tech needs?

These universities have become redundant and need to be off-loaded. This can't happen while the government still control them
You mean federal universities do not have access to their acceptance fees?
If there are no benefits whatsoever, why are they charging for acceptance fee at all. They could have just charge 1000 naira.
I schooled at UNN. Acceptance fee was 6000, later increased to 25,000. I think it's up to 30k now.

So UNN no get share.
Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by Mynd44: 9:20pm On Aug 22, 2022
samuelpeters:

You mean federal universities do not have access to their acceptance fees?
If there are no benefits whatsoever, why are they charging for acceptance fee at all. They could have just charge 1000 naira.
I schooled at UNN. Acceptance fee was 6000, later increased to 25,000. I think it's up to 30k now.

So UNN no get share.
I stand to be corrected but I doubt they do as these payments are don with TSA to FG Accounts
Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by grandstar(m): 12:18am On Aug 23, 2022
Handing over the universities to the state government is the most stupid idea ever. If the federal government lacks the resources to manage these education citadel, is it the impoverished state governments that have the funds?

When it comes to education, I am a layman. Nevertheless, the ASUU strike and its stupendous duration exposes governments incompetence.

I am sure not all ASUU demands involve money. Why not implement those? For instance, ASUU once had to fight for the retirement age of professors to be increased to 70 years. It took the federal governments years to implement it

What of autonomy? I think it would help them raise funds. Federal universities must find creative ways to raise money. The federal government isn't leading the way by being proactive and it now makes them look either indifferent or outright incompetent.

If truth be told, Nigeria's overdependence on crude oil revenues for 75% of the budget is now far from sufficient for taking care of the needs of the nation. What's worse is that trillions of this scarce cash is wasted on a stupid fuel subsidy that could have long been abolished if the man up there took the bull by the horn in 2016. OBJ and GEJ would have grabbed it with both hands.

Non-oil revenues need to rise to 75% of governments income. Achieving this may be possible if the right people are placed there.

There was an African country that used a private company to collect taxes from the ports or so and revenue increased many fold. The duty was taken from the customs. I'm not sure of thecountry but I suspecr its Mozambique.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tinubu To Visit Ebonyi / More Photo and Video from Labour Party Presidential Campaign Rally In Jalingo / 2023 Nigerian Election Result According To Arewa Republic.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.