Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,826 members, 7,813,728 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:06 PM

Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway (8313 Views)

PanamaPapers Exposes Enrico Monfrini, Nigerian Public Officers May Be Prosecuted / Bayelsa: PDP In Early Lead, As INEC Declares Results At Polling Units, Wards / Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by MeandSum: 7:01pm On Aug 07, 2011
As far as I am concern, the not so honorable Hon. Friday Itulah from the very not so honorable PDP can take the law and shove it where the sun don't shine, that is, in their behind.

The intelligent thing to do here is to seek a true declaration of wealth from everyone. Government should confiscate your property if you live in a bungalow that cost 100 million naira and you paid no tax last year or the year before. Same thing with cars. Also, create a special tax for "bribes" like they have in some European countries. that way we'll know who give what to whom smiley
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by okadaman2: 7:02pm On Aug 07, 2011
We know it's not going to work with the current crop of leaders some foooooolish immmmmmbecilles elected.

My Question is: Will you support a radical dictator leader willing to enforce this? I will. Including:

No generators at home for public officials

Pay only minimum wage to legislators

If you don't like it, start a business grin
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by Outstrip(f): 7:03pm On Aug 07, 2011
Can they legally do it. I dont see this as a solution to the problem
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by Nosyke(m): 7:05pm On Aug 07, 2011
okada_man:

If your kid is smart enough to go to MIT, it must be on an MIT funded scholarship. She get's a waiver for that. Verifiable scholarship. If not, she should matriculate at ESUT.

Let's all rot together, it's only fair.

grin grin
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by okadaman2: 7:09pm On Aug 07, 2011
a few years ago, kema chikwe's daughter did just that in a letter she wrote to this day - 'in defense of my mummy' . the little biatch went as far as to deride the author of an article lambasting the incompetent mrs chikwe as a graduate of our 'who knows what schools', while blathering about how she and her siblings all graduated from 'top ten US schools'

Unfortunately that privileged Wesleyan educated idiooooot can't keep a home, but she can get on Facebook and online to talk down at ordinary Nigerians.

Some of these foooools will eventually get the King Louis XVI treatment. We only need a few Robespierre's

I see no other way.
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by MeandSum: 7:10pm On Aug 07, 2011
LadyT:

We need a revolution.  Sadly these current leaders are already grooming their useless offspring to take over.  

I used to think how could God ask the Israelites out wipe out an entire race now I understand.  Rubbish

Hey me Lady, about God asking the Israelite, we'll talk about that some other day. OK? because that one is Rubbish too - smiley
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by daywatcher: 7:30pm On Aug 07, 2011
This will make sense if passed.
Bill was introduced by a northerner and in the article, opposed by a southerner from Edo, hmmm
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by MeandSum: 7:41pm On Aug 07, 2011
daywatcher:

This will make sense if passed.
Bill was introduced by a northerner and in the article, opposed by a southerner from Edo, hmmm

What sense would this make? What would be the aim of the law and how would we measure achievement?
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by Sagamite(m): 7:44pm On Aug 07, 2011
MeandSum:

What sense would this make? What would be the aim of the law and how would we measure achievement?

What sense? It will mean the powerful in the public sector will have no choice but to put pressure on their colleagues in charge of education to make sure the standard is good.

How would you measure achievement? Fck me!!! By the quality assessment of the local education system.

Is that rocket science?

Let me stretch your brain a bit more to make it think.

A better education will lead to an enlightened population who will be able to choose better leaders. Not the Alao-Akala-type worshiping ediots we have all over Nigeria with a right to vote.

A better education with a better set of leaders will lead to a wealthier population, which will lead to less need to steal.
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by tlops(m): 8:09pm On Aug 07, 2011
what if they were studying abroad before their father became public official?

don't know how its going to be enforceable,
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by Sagamite(m): 8:16pm On Aug 07, 2011
tlops:

what if they were studying abroad before their father became public official?

don't know how its going to be enforceable,

How does that point make it unenforceable?

Any sensible introduction will include circumstantial criteria being set.

If you are going to be a Director/Perm Sec in the public sector, 99% of the time you will have been a career civil servant and it will take you over 20 years to get there. So no chance that you kids will already be studying abroad once the law is in place.

If you are a politician or appointed public official, if your kid(s) are already studying abroad, it might go:

Soft approach: It is overlooked but then no more kid can go abroad from day you are appointed.

Hard approach: If the kid(s) is/are not at uni level or at final 2 years pre-uni, then you must bring them home within 6 months of your appointment.

If you can not deal with the rules, do not take the appointment and stay in the private sector.
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by MeandSum: 8:32pm On Aug 07, 2011
Sagamite:

What sense? It will mean the powerful in the public sector will have no choice but to put pressure on their colleagues in charge of education to make sure the standard is good.

How would you measure achievement? Fck me!!! By the quality assessment of the local education system.

Is that rocket science?

Let me stretch your brain a bit more to make it think.

A better education will lead to an enlightened population who will be able to choose better leaders. Not the Alao-Akala-type worshiping ediots we have all over Nigeria with a right to vote.

A better education with a better set of leaders will lead to a wealthier population, which will lead to less need to steal.

You actually believe what you just said above smiley

So, the only way to go about doing that is to pass a law that says z,y and z can't send their kids oversea. Is that correct?
What makes you think they'll stop looting if their kids study in Nigeria? The issue with education in Nigeria is neglect. Why? because the only money the country makes is looted.
I'm 100% sure the law would not achieve anything. It would end up hurting the poor the most.

What happened to the anti corruption law? Do you know it is illegal to loot government money? and yet they do it. What has the honorable done to fight that?
this is like giving someone medicine for headache when they're having a heart attack,

Where do these people get the money in the first place?
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by coolgb(m): 8:41pm On Aug 07, 2011
Interesting, see yarns. Smiling days ahead for private universities
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by marvix(m): 8:41pm On Aug 07, 2011
What is wrong with my people, the law seeks to bar public office holders from sending their kids abroad while the schools down here rot, it is either as a public officer you insist that the educational standards increase or you resign so your kids can get the best for money you will go ahead to make in the private sector instead of pushing the school bills to the government to pay, also there are still avenues to be excused from the law, the Minister of Education can grant a waiver and that is hwere we should be interested, the waiver should not be abused and no single Minister of govt official should be allowed to have more than one kid outside at a time,
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by MeandSum: 8:56pm On Aug 07, 2011
marvix:

What is wrong with my people, the law seeks to bar public office holders from sending their kids abroad while the schools down here rot, it is either as a public officer you insist that the educational standards increase or you resign so your kids can get the best for money you will go ahead to make in the private sector instead of pushing the school bills to the government to pay, also there are still avenues to be excused from the law, the Minister of Education can grant a waiver and that is hwere we should be interested, the waiver should not be abused and no single Minister of govt official should be allowed to have more than one kid outside at a time,

This would be illegal. While we are at it, we could as well start castrating public office holders so they have no children to inherit their ill gotten wealth.
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by Sagamite(m): 9:19pm On Aug 07, 2011
MeandSum:

You actually believe what you just said above smiley

So, the only way to go about doing that is to pass a law that says z,y and z can't send their kids oversea. Is that correct?
What makes you think they'll stop looting if their kids study in Nigeria? The issue with education in Nigeria is neglect. Why? because the only money the country makes is looted.
I'm 100% sure the law would not achieve anything. It would end up hurting the poor the most.

What happened to the anti corruption law? Do you know it is illegal to loot government money? and yet they do it. What has the honorable done to fight that?
this is like giving someone medicine for headache when they're having a heart attack,

Where do these people get the money in the first place?

You still don't get it.

- It is the most effective way and part of a multiple set of tools to tackle corruption.
- It would reduce corruption in the Education sector.
- If the education sector gets better, you will have more educated people that can make better decisions about electing leaders, hence you will stop seeing ediots like Alao-Akala who has no vision and who has no other avenue of making money except from looting.
- You will have better educated people that are intelligent enough to challenge those governing them, not illiterates that will sell their rights for N600.
- You will have more mass of people with better thinking faculties to understand issues by applying critical thinking.

What don't you get?

Education is neglected? And you think if they pour more money most will not be looted? In most public sectors in Nigeria, I bet at least 40% of allocation is looted or stolen through dubious arrangements.

If the most powerful people suppose to monitor the public sector risk having the lives of their kids ruined like most of the kids of average Nigerians, they will bring pressure for high performance on those responsible for education.

You don't get it?
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by Sagamite(m): 9:21pm On Aug 07, 2011
MeandSum:

This would be illegal. While we are at it, we could as well start castrating public office holders so they have no children to inherit their ill gotten wealth.

Are you trying to be a moooron with such a stewpid statement and analogy?
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by MeandSum: 9:40pm On Aug 07, 2011
Sagamite:

Are you trying to be a moooron with such a stewpid statement and analogy?

No, I am not. Are you?
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by Princek12(m): 9:50pm On Aug 07, 2011
To all the opponents of this bill, you need to rethink your stance. The same public servants who are charged with fixing our country have (1) a generator and diesel allowance to provide electricity for them while their constituents (their employers) live in darkness; (2) they go abroad for medical treatment while their constituents die in sub-standard hospitals; and (3) they send their children to foreign universities while our own universities are slowly decaying.

I see nothing wrong with the bill. As a public servant if you are subject to the same conditions as your constituents, you have a vested interest in fixing any problems that arises out of the conditions.
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by MeandSum: 9:51pm On Aug 07, 2011
Sagamite:

You still don't get it.

- It is the most effective way and part of a multiple set of tools to tackle corruption.
- It would reduce corruption in the Education sector.
- If the education sector gets better, you will have more educated people that can make better decisions about electing leaders, hence you will stop seeing ediots like Alao-Akala who has no vision and who has no other avenue of making money except from looting.
- You will have better educated people that are intelligent enough to challenge those governing them, not illiterates that will sell their rights for N600.
- You will have more mass of people with better thinking faculties to understand issues by applying critical thinking.

What don't you get?

Education is neglected? And you think if they pour more money most will not be looted? In most public sectors in Nigeria, I bet at least 40% of allocation is looted or stolen through dubious arrangements.

If the most powerful people suppose to monitor the public sector risk having the lives of their kids ruined like most of the kids of average Nigerians, they will bring pressure for high performance on those responsible for education.

You don't get it?

Because you think it would have the effect listed above doesn't make it so.

You didn't answer my questions.

How would you stop them from sending their kids overseas?
What happens if a family member "sponsor's" them?
What if they change their surnames  just to circumvent the law?

I still believe this is a misplaced energy and you calling me a moooron doesn't make you smart.
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by Nobody: 9:57pm On Aug 07, 2011
Yeye law. Yea, stopping their children from getting international education will stop corruption. Yes sir!
I guess hungry Nigerians must start from somewhere.

God help these "I had no shoe" generation.  grin
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by Sagamite(m): 9:58pm On Aug 07, 2011
MeandSum:

No, I am not. Are you?

You are not?

Explain how it is illegal to do such?

MeandSum:

Because you think it would have the effect listed above doesn't make it so.

You didn't answer my questions.

How would you stop them from sending their kids overseas?
What happens if a family member "sponsor's" them?
What if they change their surnames  just to circumvent the law?

I still believe this is a misplaced energy and you calling me a moooron doesn't make you smart.

Are you thick?

If you tell someone if they are a public servant and their kids are studying abroad they are sacked or in trouble you think most will still have kids abroad if it is enforced even if it was sponsored by Jesus?

They will change their name to get their degree certificate? That makes much sense to you?

Lets imagine they did, can't some people that know them or the kid report to the government in some cases?

Me calling you a mooron makes you a mooron, because I don't lie. Smart, I am above smart.
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by okadaman2: 10:03pm On Aug 07, 2011
MeandSum:

Actually that is a brilliant idea. I'll personally head the enforcement unit free of salary. I'll prefer we place their balls on a concrete floor and let my boys ride an Okada over it.

No point passing corrupt genes to future generations  embarassed

If you don't like it ask your daddies to stop stealing and go start a business  grin
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by Nobody: 10:06pm On Aug 07, 2011
okada_man:

Actually that is a brilliant idea. I'll personally head the enforcement unit free of salary. I'll prefer we place their balls on a concrete floor and let my boys ride an Okada over it.

No point passing corrupt genes to future generations  embarassed

If you don't like it ask your daddies to stop stealing and go start a business  grin

What about the ones wey no get balls? grin
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by IrunmoleD1: 10:10pm On Aug 07, 2011
My people, don't let us fight amonst ourselves. What can we do to change this trend of children of Gardner or Gatemen becoming like their father due to their inability to go to school. Children of Ministers will continue to be ministers because their fahter can afford to send them to "Harvard".

Equal opportunity must be provided for everybody in the system. Nigeria has been gang rapped over and over again by opportuned few to the detriment of the majority. This trend need to stop.

Abeg stop calling each other names while our system is being gang rapped. What can we do to change things. Our generation has been abandoned, we shouldn't abandon ourselves
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by MeandSum: 10:10pm On Aug 07, 2011
Sagamite:

You are not?

Explain how it is illegal to do such?

Are you thick?

If you tell someone if they are a public servant and their kids are studying abroad they are in sacked or in trouble you think most will still have kids abroad if it is enforced?

Me callign you a mooron makes you a mooron, because I don't lie. Smart, I am above smart.

Because it would be illegal to force someone to study in a public school just because their parents are public workers.
The same way nobody can force you to use general hospital or any other government run service.

By the way, after this law what which would be the next law? a law to ban public workers from owning a car?- that way they'll fix the road!
a law to mandate that all public service servant only use general hospital - that way they'll fix the hospital
A law that bans public servant from using electricity - that way they'll know what it feels like for those who have no power supply

these are all misdirected laws and a waste of time because we've had laws in place for years that would have stopped corruption but it does not work. It wouldn't work.
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by okadaman2: 10:11pm On Aug 07, 2011
naijababe:

What about the ones wey no get balls?  grin

We declitorize them  grin
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by ak47mann(m): 10:11pm On Aug 07, 2011
na waoooo angry
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by okadaman2: 10:16pm On Aug 07, 2011
MeandSum:

Because it would be illegal to force someone to study in a public school just because their parents are public workers.
The same way nobody can force you to use general hospital or any other government run service.

It will be Legal when it becomes law.

We can force anyone to do anything, it's called authority.

We will deal with other issues the same way, public office is for patriots, not journeymen. Start a business if you want to be wealthy.
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by Sagamite(m): 10:17pm On Aug 07, 2011
MeandSum:

By the way, after this law what which would be the next law? a law to ban public workers from owning a car?- that way they'll fix the road!
a law to mandate that all public service servant only use general hospital - that way they'll fix the hospital
A law that bans public servant from using electricity - that way they'll know what it feels like for those who have no power supply

these are all misdirected laws and a waste of time because we've had laws in place for years that would have stopped corruption but it does not work. It wouldn't work.

That is your explanation of how it is illegal!

THAT is your explanation?

Do you know the meaning of illegal?

Who forced anybody?

Do your understand the meaning of choice? There is no choice there?

People can not choose not be public officials if they cannot accept the conditions or rules?

Can you see why I am PASSSIONATE about improving the education sector in Nigeria to improve critical thinking? You don't know the meaning of illegal?

This what happens when they destroy our education, we have people like this that cannot think and then will even fight on behalf of the oppressors.
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by Princek12(m): 10:20pm On Aug 07, 2011
MeandSum:

Your reasoning is flawed, as you are comparing apples to oranges. What we are saying here is that public officials should be barred from sending their children overseas for education, not that they can't send their kids to domestic private schools. All the analogies you stated above differs from what we are talking about.

As to your example on electricity, no one should be bar public officials from using electricity, but you can sure take away their diesel and generator allowances.

What you don't realize is that our elected officials think like animals, and you have to pass bills like this to tackle this endemic corruption that has been inserted into DNA of many Nigerians.
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by Sagamite(m): 10:23pm On Aug 07, 2011
Princek12:

Your reasoning is flawed, as you are comparing apples to oranges. What we are saying here is that public officials should be barred from sending their children overseas for education, not that they can't send their kids to domestic private schools. All the analogies you stated above differs from what we are talking about.

As to your example on electricity, no one should be bar public officials from using electricity, but you can sure take away their diesel and generator allowances.

What you don't realize is that our elected officials think like animals, and you have to pass bills like this to tackle this endemic corruption that has been inserted into DNA of many Nigerians.

The guy's critical thinking is non-existent.

A result of the failed education system the bill wants to directly tackle.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Is The Northern Part Of Nigeria Marginalized / Lastma Fines Vs Frsc Fines / Shocking Photo Of A 13 Year Old Jihadist Slaughtering A Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.