Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,785 members, 7,820,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:53 PM

Tottenam On Fire - Foreign Affairs (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Tottenam On Fire (24525 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tottenam On Fire by coogar: 1:01am On Aug 09, 2011
hmm
Re: Tottenam On Fire by Nobody: 1:02am On Aug 09, 2011
coogar:

these ones are africans too, right?

---------
---------

carpetright offers to help as firms and families pick up bill
The rioting will leave business with a bill for millions of pounds, according to early estimates. Even though many insurance policies will cover businesses for lost trade, retail sources said the cost of damage and lost stock alone would start at tens of millions.

Most commercial insurance covers criminal acts, but there are also fears that many independent shopkeepers will be forced to pay for repairs because they lack insurance. In Tottenham, 83 per cent of shops are independent, according to the Local Data Company.

Lord Harris of Peckham, the founder, chairman and chief executive of Carpetright, offered help to the families who lived in 28 flats above his store in Tottenham, which was set alight early on Sunday. He said: “If it had not been for my shop underneath them they might have kept their homes. I have got to help these people.

Javid Patel spent yesterday cleaning up what remains of his clothing shop in Wood Green. He estimates that he lost up to £55,000 in stock when the nearby Leather Land was looted and burnt.

“They took a lot of stock, but the worst thing is that they burnt the shop. The electrics, the sprinkler, the water: everything got messed up, ” he said. JD Sports in Tottenham was also badly hit by looters.

Peter Cowgill, the retailer’s executive chairman, told Radio 4’s World at One: “There was a good deal of police providing security around the firefighters, so resources were stretched around the looting.

Probably Muslim.

But that's not the point. The overwhelming majority are black. Look, Iam a hardworking proffesional (don't live in England though), but these acts of senseless violence have convinced the entire world, once again,  how "uncivilised" some of us can be. Unfortunately, we get tarred with the same brush. It's utterly indefensible.
Re: Tottenam On Fire by redsun(m): 1:03am On Aug 09, 2011
It is spreading like wild fire.
Re: Tottenam On Fire by cap28: 1:04am On Aug 09, 2011
(Reuters) - Riots spread to new areas of London on Monday while looting also erupted in the city of Birmingham as Britain's worst unrest in decades escalated in a third night of violence.

Prime Minister David Cameron cut short his holiday to fly home to tackle the violence, which politicians and police have blamed on criminal thugs and which come amid deep economic gloom in Britain.

In Hackney, a multi-ethnic area in east London close to the site of next year's Olympic Games, hooded youths set fire to rubbish bins and pushed them down a street towards police, while hurling bottles and bricks.

Many laughed as they ran back when police charged them. Others shouted into their cellphones telling their friends to join in.

The disturbances started late on Saturday in London's northern Tottenham district when a peaceful protest over the police's shooting of a suspect turned violent.

On Monday, the violence had spread to the south of the city, including the areas of Peckham, Croydon and Lewisham.

Attackers also smashed shops and looted property in the central England city of Birmingham, police said, in the first sign of the riots spreading beyond the capital.

In Hackney, with the street thick with smoke, looters smashed their way into a local shop, stealing whisky and beer. One had even grabbed a packet of cornflakes. Another man ran away laughing while carrying four bottles of whisky.

"I am from South Africa and it reminds me of the riots there, except the police here are not so rough," said one middle-aged local resident, who declined to give his name.

"But the kids don't have any respect for the police or for property. It's sad for the people who live round here."

In Peckam, flames leapt into the air from a torched building, while rubble was strewn across the street. People walked in and out of shops looting.

Cameron's office said he would cut short his holiday in Italy to chair an emergency crisis meeting, amid growing calls from the public for officials to take control of the crisis.

Police had arrested 215 people, according to Home Secretary Theresa May.

"The violence we've seen, the looting we've seen, the thuggery we've seen, this is sheer criminality ,  these people will be brought to justice, they will be made to face the consequences of their actions," she said.

"SENSELESS"

But despite a heavy police presence, they appeared unable to contain the violence as looters coordinated through mobile phones and Twitter to try to keep one step ahead of them.

In Hackney, youths in brown hoods posed for pictures in front of a burning car on a street corner. Others swarmed around a skip full of bricks and gathered them up.

"I don't know why they are doing this," said a middle-aged woman who lived nearby. "It's senseless ,  they are just cacking on their own doorstep."

The BBC said the Hackney clashes broke out after police stopped and searched a man.

Government officials branded rioters as opportunistic criminals and said the violence would not affect preparations for next summer's Olympic Games.

Police Deputy Assistant Commissioner Steve Kavanagh said the force was putting more officers on the streets in Hackney and other areas on Monday night.

"Let me make it clear that people who are using current events as an excuse or cover to break the law, steal, attack police officers and cause fear to Londoners will not be tolerated by the vast majority of Londoners and us," he said.

BARRICADES

A small group of people said they had barricaded themselves inside the 110-year-old Hackney Empire theatre to escape the violence.

"We are stuck inside," said one person, who did not give her name, in a telephone conversation with Reuters.

"We don't want to be near the windows. They seem to be targeting shops at the moment. It's very scary."

"We are in the back of the building, staying away from the front. We have barricaded the doors and put chains on the doors."

Youths appeared to have used a free message service on Blackberry mobile phones to coordinate attacks on shops and police.

Research In Motion, the Canadian manufacturer of Blackberry smartphones, said it would work with British authorities, but gave no details on what information, if any, it would give the police.

"We feel for those impacted by this weekend's riots in London. We have engaged with the authorities to assist in any way we can," RIM spokesman Patrick Spence said in a statement.

Some have branded the disturbances as a cry for help from impoverished areas reeling from the government's harsh austerity cuts to tackle a big budget deficit, with youth services and other facilities cut back sharply.

"Tottenham is a deprived area. Unemployment is very, very high ,  they are frustrated," said Uzodinma Wigwe, 49, who was made redundant from his job as a cleaner recently.

Officials said there was no excuse.

"It was needless, opportunistic theft and violence, nothing more, nothing less. It is completely unacceptable," said Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg.
Re: Tottenam On Fire by Nobody: 1:17am On Aug 09, 2011
Brits suck!That's it!
Re: Tottenam On Fire by gestapo(f): 2:44am On Aug 09, 2011
WTF shocked

Great Britain has finally one to the dogs undecided Now they are being held to ransom by mindess yobs who had been accorded so much rights and not one iota of responsibility undecided

Fucking hell, it took only 100 Muslims defending an Isamic bank in Whitechapel to make dem feral yobs back off the whole whitechapel area totally, and apparently, this mindless vandals also legged it and ran for their dear lives when they were set upon by some handful of Turkish gangs in Hackney who they know better to not mess with, so why is the whoe Country up in arms about this senseless kids whom they can all have under lock and keys in a matter of two days.

Forget unleashing the Armies on this untouchable nonentities with their overbloated egos, just permanently give adult men of all colour and race a chance to exercise authority and mete out a likkle bit of jungle justice on any errant misbehaving youth that crosses their path and watch how sanity would be restored to Britain instantly undecided

And black people are so daft and bereft of commonsense, i wonder why this had to be piggybacked on the death of a suspected drug-dealer, when they could have easily latched onto one of the numerous workers's strikes Buncha brainless farts angry angry
Re: Tottenam On Fire by dayokanu(m): 5:39am On Aug 09, 2011
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Tottenam On Fire by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:48am On Aug 09, 2011
You better hope they dont revoke your spot for the Olympics

My-Key, you might wanna bleach your skin harder next time.
Re: Tottenam On Fire by werepeLeri: 7:01am On Aug 09, 2011
If this happens in another country preparing to host the Olympics - see how the Brits will lead in chorusing that the hosting rights be withdrawn from that country. Now who dare speak against them?
Re: Tottenam On Fire by busybody20: 7:34am On Aug 09, 2011
dis thing is spreading all over uk! na wa

3 days of riot in Uk 250 arrested, 0 killed

1 day of riot in Nigeria 400 arrested 2,000 killed.

difference is too much

Send d Army in NOW to curb dis menance!  See what human rights has cause. Police cant even shoot in d air to scarce dem looters n yobs off

Manchester dey stand by oooo Pls dont let it start hia is gonna be bad  cry Lord have mercy
Re: Tottenam On Fire by heryyy(m): 7:34am On Aug 09, 2011
One Of London's Riot Conversation On BBM, Sam r u looting ? Yes mom do u need anything ? Yes one 32'' LCD tv,New Laptop & a pair of shoe for ur sister,ok mom,tell dad to ping me too grin
Re: Tottenam On Fire by Nobody: 8:37am On Aug 09, 2011
ThiefOfHearts:

You better hope they dont revoke your spot for the Olympics

My-Key, you might wanna bleach your skin harder next time.

Don't kill the messenger, luv. You've f.ucked up Britain, and the reputation of all black people worldwide. I hope you are proud of your "yoof" now.
Re: Tottenam On Fire by Titto(f): 9:07am On Aug 09, 2011
This is the shocking moment a young man is apparently forced to hand over all of his clothes after appearing to be stripped Unclad during lawless riots overnight.
I

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2024001/Forced-strip-Unclad-street-Shocking-scenes-rioters-steal-clothes-rifle-bags-people-make-way-home.html#ixzz1UW7ASo42

Re: Tottenam On Fire by gestapo(f): 9:13am On Aug 09, 2011
^^^

shocked shocked shocked Tell me these are viral pictures shocked shocked shocked
Re: Tottenam On Fire by norrisman: 9:20am On Aug 09, 2011
When ppl 'protest' in Libya & the govt tries to end the 'protests', NATO comes in to protect the civilians from the govt cos NATO feels the 'protesters' have a right to protest for however long they wish, damage property & kill Libyan soldiers. Now the UK govt knows what illegal protests/ rioting feels like, they call the protesters criminals and thugs. Are the 'protesters' in Libya who even have guns any different from the criminals & thugs in London? So why are NATO helping Criminals & Thugs
Re: Tottenam On Fire by juman(m): 9:26am On Aug 09, 2011
Oh no, this is bad.
Re: Tottenam On Fire by Nija4Life(m): 9:29am On Aug 09, 2011
It's so so sad having to watch this, there's just no justification for this, none whatsoever. This is just criminal behaviour, full stop. The thing that also annoys me is you see so called community leaders come up on tv and dish out the usual drivel that it is due to 'lack of opportunities, lack of jobs and one even said it is the 'unheard voices', really? Sorry, but there are numerous opportunities and jobs about. Perhaps if they get some education and get off their back side and do something to change their situation rather than blame everyone else for their predicament apart from themselves. This is also a reflection of some young people's behaviour in the UK who think society owes them everything and they want to get something for nothing. Life doesn't work like that I'm afraid but if they think they are suffering maybe they could try relocating to East Africa or even our dear Naija and see what poverty means first hand.

The government needs to get a grip, I have sympathy for the police because their hands are tied and they were just overwhelmed. How can you control a mob without teargas, not even rubber bullets or water cannons. The rioters knew this and that is why they went on their looting rampage without any resistance from the police. Police needs greater powers to tackle riots of this nature, something UK politicians needs to address.
Re: Tottenam On Fire by busybody20: 10:01am On Aug 09, 2011
Even Macdonalds wasnt spared. .some even had time to COOK their meals.  undecided, Chinese resturant and shops u wldnt evn think dey wld break into like Make-Up shops  . Thief wan make-up?  undecided 

time to call pple in uk to check on dem   cry
Re: Tottenam On Fire by werepeLeri: 10:28am On Aug 09, 2011
Nija4Life:

It's so so sad having to watch this, there's just no justification for this, none whatsoever. This is just criminal behaviour, full stop. The thing that also annoys me is you see so called community leaders come up on tv and dish out the usual drivel that it is due to 'lack of opportunities, lack of jobs and one even said it is the 'unheard voices', really? Sorry, but there are numerous opportunities and jobs about. Perhaps if they get some education and get off their back side and do something to change their situation rather than blame everyone else for their predicament apart from themselves. This is also a reflection of some young people's behaviour in the UK who think society owes them everything and they want to get something for nothing. Life doesn't work like that I'm afraid but if they think they are suffering maybe they could try relocating to East Africa or even our dear Naija and see what poverty means first hand.

The government needs to get a grip, I have sympathy for the police because their hands are tied and they were just overwhelmed. How can you control a mob without teargas, not even rubber bullets or water cannons. The rioters knew this and that is why they went on their looting rampage without any resistance from the police. Police needs greater powers to tackle riots of this nature, something UK politicians needs to address.

Really - where?
Re: Tottenam On Fire by busybody20: 10:28am On Aug 09, 2011

Croydon: A woman leaps from a burning building in Surrey Street, after flames threaten to engulf her. People stand to catch her as she jumps to safety

Vigilantes: [size=15pt]Mobs of Turkish men throng the streets in Dalston, where they chased away rioters intent on looting shops and businesses[/size]

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2023932/London-riots-Powerless-police-let-mob-seize-streets-loot-start-fires-violence-spreads.html#ixzz1UWQUuD2o
Re: Tottenam On Fire by werepeLeri: 10:29am On Aug 09, 2011
Why are you all pissed? At the end of the day, insurance will pay for the loot, and me and you will also in a way pay for it from our taxes. Our mumu too much.
Re: Tottenam On Fire by IBEXY(m): 11:12am On Aug 09, 2011
Even the wounded were not spared. See this scum steal from a wounded boy.
[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gex_ya4-Oo?version=3&hl=en_GB&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="349"[/flash]
Re: Tottenam On Fire by thameamead(f): 11:22am On Aug 09, 2011
SHOCKING!!!!!!!!!the right wing media hate the fact that white people are also looting,
Re: Tottenam On Fire by IBEXY(m): 11:31am On Aug 09, 2011
Every race is involved in the looting - both white and black. The photos on the front page of the Metro this morning is of a blond white guy swigging beer right in the middle of the mayhem. People should be careful before they blame it on blacks alone. The video above shows a white guy riffling through and stealing from the injured kid.
Re: Tottenam On Fire by delegiwa(m): 11:35am On Aug 09, 2011
Cameron just got me disappointed! Shoulda got the tanks rolling out,
Re: Tottenam On Fire by Nobody: 11:43am On Aug 09, 2011
IBEXY:

Every race is involved in the looting - both white and black. The photos on the front page of the Metro this morning is of a blond white guy swigging beer right in the middle of the mayhem. People should be careful before they blame it on blacks alone. The video above shows a white guy riffling through and stealing from the injured kid.

Shut up!!! It's mostly blacks. Same as in Paris, Brazil, Los Angeles, Haiti, Jamaica, pretty much everywhere.
Re: Tottenam On Fire by Nobody: 11:52am On Aug 09, 2011
London's black communi-ee "yoof" fair 2011, SCUM OF THE EARTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Tottenam On Fire by IBEXY(m): 11:57am On Aug 09, 2011
My-Key:

Shut up!!! It's mostly blacks. Same as in Paris, Brazil, Los Angeles, Haiti, Jamaica, pretty much everywhere.
Of course! I forgot you're here. Every single problem in Britain is the blacks/immigration:
the Economy, school fee hike, Police not responding to the riots on time etc.
Its nice having you around. Our first white right wing activist.
Re: Tottenam On Fire by Nobody: 12:04pm On Aug 09, 2011
IBEXY:

Of course! I forgot you're here. Every single problem in Britain is the blacks/immigration:
the Economy, school fee hike, Police not responding to the riots on time etc.
Its nice having you around. Our first white right wing activist.

Yeap, you GOT your FIRST SENTENCE RIGHT. Sickening lot, trying to justify this sort of behavior. "The Economy"-Aaaaaah yes, what is this thing called "economy" that only seems to affect blacks? I have never seen such scenes even in Africa-stripping innocent people Unclad, is that cuz of "da economy" too  angry

It's a bloody disgrace.
Re: Tottenam On Fire by busybody20: 12:26pm On Aug 09, 2011

A youth poses with a large sack of Tesco Value Basmati rice on the third night of rioting in London, proving that items need not be valuable to be targeted by looters

Re: Tottenam On Fire by tunnytox(m): 12:39pm On Aug 09, 2011
What a shame! Basmati rice?

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply)

France Defiant, Insists Niger Military Junta Cannot Expel Its Ambassador / Blast Rocks Zimbabwe President Emmerson Mnangagwa's Rally / Death Valley Scorched By 130F In Hottest Day Since 1913 (Pix, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.