Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,678 members, 7,820,377 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:54 PM

As a university Graduate, I can't speak Good english. I'm depressed. - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / As a university Graduate, I can't speak Good english. I'm depressed. (2998 Views)

Help! A Man Is Threatening To Release My Nudes, I'm Depressed! / I'm 29 But Look 13, I'm Depressed, The Disrespect Is Too Much! Please Help Me / She Is Not A Graduate, I Don't Know If I Should Marry Her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: As a university Graduate, I can't speak Good english. I'm depressed. by cavreek: 10:05pm On Aug 23, 2022
Do what works for u.
Had some mates back den who couldn't speak fluently so they had to defend their project in their language although it was the predominant. Do not follow this advise ooo
Speak more of english make blunders and improve
Re: As a university Graduate, I can't speak Good english. I'm depressed. by imagrg(m): 10:37pm On Aug 23, 2022
Then go back to JSS2.
Why come to romance section to tell us?
We can only teach you kpekus language here!
Hope you cum with Vaseline?
Re: As a university Graduate, I can't speak Good english. I'm depressed. by HarunaWest(m): 11:01pm On Aug 23, 2022
Barrister026:
I graduated 3years ago, all my years in school I think it's a waste. what's the use when I can't express myself vocally with simple and correct english in public place without making several grammatical blunders which I know of and it gets me sad most of the times. but when it comes to writing, I think I try small in that aspect. securing a job haven't been easy for me..I attended some interview in the past with my CV after the written part..when it comes to oral aspect when asked questions.. some of the interviewers get shocked with the way I respond with several grammatical blunders..(some smile most time, while some just keep quiet and let me keep going on).. I know my oral English is very bad and I can't maintain a simple conversation for a period of time..due to the fact that I attended public schools during my primary and secondary school days with missed classes and not very good grades.
I seriously need Help, this has got me fustrated because I know alot of opportunities that has passed me by because of this.
some people don't even believe I'm a graduate because of this error in my life.
Seun
lalasticlala
I hope you are aware that Lucky Dune and Celine Dion learnt English as adults. They couldn't speak nada. It's never too late. Get videos on YouTube to help you. Cheers.
Re: As a university Graduate, I can't speak Good english. I'm depressed. by SPAMBOX7: 11:29pm On Aug 23, 2022
Barrister026:

Thanks very much.
writing is very easy for me, even though I still make mistake.
but to speak out loud or converse with english is my greatest problem.
because of this I always get axious when I want to respond in english.
making me misuse some minor words
You can start working on yourself immediately even on this thread. Start by reading every comment you see on this thread aloud.
Don't read in your mind. Read it out like you are reading for someone. Do that for all the next books you read as well.
In less than a week you will forget you had a problem like this
Re: As a university Graduate, I can't speak Good english. I'm depressed. by SPAMBOX7: 11:31pm On Aug 23, 2022
Rozross:
Where’s your oraimo chord and 2by4 that you wanted to use on me?
You already turned on by a nigga. And now you stalking

I bet he makes ur thighs tinglecheesy
Re: As a university Graduate, I can't speak Good english. I'm depressed. by IsellSmartTvs: 12:03am On Aug 24, 2022
Primary school education is the foundation of learning how to read and write.
Speak a little and make more sense,trying to go lengthy will expose ur errors cus u already loosing confidence.

Re: As a university Graduate, I can't speak Good english. I'm depressed. by pansophist(m): 1:02am On Aug 24, 2022
Read often. Read and read. Thats the way out.
Re: As a university Graduate, I can't speak Good english. I'm depressed. by Regex: 5:54am On Aug 24, 2022
pansophist:
Read often. Read and read. Thats the way out.

I can not over emphasise the benefits of reading. My mother when we were younger introduced us to western books, Animprphs, Goosebumps etc. Now one will say they're just book, I also read them. I am speaking from experience, I read this books till I got into university and guess what, my English was so refined in universities people made fun of me. But I wasn't deterred. I am in UK, and this English people don't believe me when I tell them I have only just come. They think I was born here.

So read books. Not just any books, read wide.
Re: As a university Graduate, I can't speak Good english. I'm depressed. by Lamanii22(f): 7:30am On Aug 24, 2022
And you can write very well like this? Like it’s unbelievable that you can’t speak well….
Re: As a university Graduate, I can't speak Good english. I'm depressed. by MajorLanister: 7:59am On Aug 24, 2022
Barrister026:
I graduated 3years ago, all my years in school I think it's a waste. what's the use when I can't express myself vocally with simple and correct english in public place without making several grammatical blunders which I know of and it gets me sad most of the times. but when it comes to writing, I think I try small in that aspect. securing a job haven't been easy for me..I attended some interview in the past with my CV after the written part..when it comes to oral aspect when asked questions.. some of the interviewers get shocked with the way I respond with several grammatical blunders..(some smile most time, while some just keep quiet and let me keep going on).. I know my oral English is very bad and I can't maintain a simple conversation for a period of time..due to the fact that I attended public schools during my primary and secondary school days with missed classes and not very good grades.
I seriously need Help, this has got me fustrated because I know alot of opportunities that has passed me by because of this.
Seun
lalasticlala

Yes ops, You write well.

And speaking about getting a job have you considered writing but this time in Computer language. Getting a job is easy but getting the right paying job is the catch. Until your job transition to a skill-based role, one can't be sought after. There are several skills to learn from content writing to digital marketing and to programming but hone your skill in one.

I came across a thread where the op narrated how he is surviving with 95k.

https://www.nairaland.com/7292931/how-survive-salary-95k-married

For me, I use to earn precisely 105k and it was just as you narrated until I made a decision to learn a skill. Yes, a skill. Skilled paid Jobs like Programming which I do now are the best. transitioned from a regular administrative role to a Technical career path.

Started building websites and Mobiles for companies. Currently, I work two jobs remotely. And am not there yet like my Other Co-programmers who work for foreign companies here in Nigeria. But I have a cumulative net salary income of 430k monthly (gigs not included). I learned to code with 250k for three months. it wasn't easy cos most of my friends who enrolled with me aren't on that path any longer.

I can offer any interesting learning coding, Precisely Frontend Development REACT JS (the Hottest stack at the moment) should hit me up. portfoliocv2022@gmail.com. Send me a mail with the subject "Frontend Development".

For those interested, we will have a 1hr google meet call where I will Orientate you on the rudiments and paths to enable you to decide if programming is for you.
Re: As a university Graduate, I can't speak Good english. I'm depressed. by helleryjoe: 8:07am On Feb 06
44 English Grammar Exercises for Beginners offers a comprehensive set of practice activities tailored specifically for those new to learning English. These exercises cover a wide range of grammar topics essential for building a strong foundation in the language. From basic concepts such as sentence structure and verb conjugation to more advanced topics like tense usage and sentence types, these exercises provide learners with a structured approach to mastering English grammar. Each exercise is thoughtfully designed to be accessible and engaging, allowing beginners to gradually develop their skills and confidence in using English correctly. Make sure to Practice English regularly to improve your language skills and fluency. By completing these exercises, beginners can gain a solid understanding of grammar principles and lay the groundwork for further language development.
Re: As a university Graduate, I can't speak Good english. I'm depressed. by MisterBanny(m): 8:13am On Feb 06
Seun
lalasticlala

OP, I'm sorry for your plight. Don't be depressed pls. Be fine. Continue to speak and never be afraid of making blunders. The more blunders, the better u become. I guess u schooled in the village public sch at the foundation of ur education. It's well
Re: As a university Graduate, I can't speak Good english. I'm depressed. by helleryjoe: 11:16am On Feb 06
English exercises Adjectives Order offer learners structured practice in understanding and correctly arranging adjectives in English sentences. These exercises focus on the order of adjectives, which typically follows a specific sequence based on their type, such as opinion, size, age, shape, color, origin, material, and purpose. By engaging in these exercises, learners can improve their ability to construct grammatically correct and coherent sentences by placing adjectives in the appropriate order. Additionally, these exercises may involve activities such as identifying and correcting errors in adjective order, rewriting sentences to adhere to the correct adjective sequence, and creating sentences that effectively describe objects or experiences using multiple adjectives. Consistent Practice English is key to improving fluency and proficiency in the language. Mastery of adjective order is essential for clear and effective communication in English, making these exercises valuable for learners aiming to enhance their language proficiency.
Re: As a university Graduate, I can't speak Good english. I'm depressed. by placeofallure(f): 12:39pm On Feb 06

Thanks very much.
writing is very easy for me, even though I still make mistake.
but to speak out loud or converse with english is my greatest problem.
because of this I always get axious when I want to respond in english.
making me misuse some minor words

You need a speech coach. Hire one today if you can.
Re: As a university Graduate, I can't speak Good english. I'm depressed. by dkidd: 12:51pm On Feb 06
VeryWickedMan:
People underrate the importance of a good primary school for their kids. If you miss it, you can never get it back.
This is very correct. Good standard kindergarten to primary school is where it is formed. If they missed the foundation because the parents wanted to compromise and then u like take them to the best secondary school they will still not be completely refined. I thank God for my palê. Even some very smart students back in uni had serious problems communicating in plain simple English. Some girls are worse off fine as a mermaid but wait make them open mouth u go 🏃

4 Likes

Re: As a university Graduate, I can't speak Good english. I'm depressed. by Exceed15: 2:57pm On Feb 06
Only fools will rush here to bash you. Hello, in your own way develop yourself, read books , watch movies(Hollywood with good story line.Take your time to speak ,never rush. Most importantly be successful at what you do.
Re: As a university Graduate, I can't speak Good english. I'm depressed. by whitejs: 3:21pm On Feb 06
Davepal:
Op you can do it.
It's good you recognize this, which mean it's easy to get through it. I experienced this in the past but I got over it. I attended public school too.
Solution:
1. Try as much you can to socialize with people in English. Avoid staying in door all the time. I know why I am saying this. You can asked me why.

2. Change your ENVIRONMENT if you can. Our environment plays a major part in the way we speak or ability to communicate very well.
Change your locality or travel to other state.

3. You can engage yourself in teaching in primary or secondary school or organize a free teaching class for younger ones with that you can see how fast you will improve.
The reason in your poor speaking is freight when you thought the people you are meeting are above you in speaking good English.

Your brain and speaking stabilized when you start engaging in discussion and teaching to people with that your brain will be rewired on speaking good English without fear.

4. Always pray to God with good in English who is the author of languages. You will experience miracles.
Re: As a university Graduate, I can't speak Good english. I'm depressed. by minasu190: 4:27pm On Feb 06
That is not a barrier sir, you are Nigerian you should be proud of your local language.
Re: As a university Graduate, I can't speak Good english. I'm depressed. by Bornboy4: 5:58pm On Feb 06
An English language teacher once asked a student in his Grammar class as she responded to a question asked without the teacher's permission, "Who told you to spoke?" grin grin
Some graduates of today ehn, go play for school...I swear!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Discovered She Is Hiv Positive / Foreply, Is It Important? / Why Don't Women Ask Men Out On Dates?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.