Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,546 members, 7,816,329 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:38 AM

Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business - Jobs/Vacancies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business (24749 Views)

Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK / Should I Leave My Bank Job For A Chinese Owned Multinational Telecoms Company? / How To Get A High Paying Job In 4 Months In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business by sulakishop(m): 8:42pm On Aug 24, 2022
Keep your job and do your business. Simply hire a competent manager if need be.

2 Likes

Re: Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business by MisterKennedy(m): 8:47pm On Aug 24, 2022
dennis3888:
Good day everyone please i need your candid advise and opinion

Am about to leave my bank job of seven years with a salary of 100k for a new business note the business has already been set up already

my fears is that am married and you know what that means i have ready responsibilities. so am now having fears that what of it doesn't work (which have been praying about seriously).

probably the fears is just in my head. your opinion please

Good evening sir

I strongly advice that you stay with your banking job as bakery jobs are over-saturated these days and highly competitive.

You can just do the baking job as a side hustle but please do not quit your banking job that is 100% lucrative

Bakery might not be as lucrative because of too much competition.

1 Like

Re: Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business by Obnoxious2001(m): 9:10pm On Aug 24, 2022
dennis3888:

Am about to leave my bank job of seven years with a salary of 100k for a new business note the business has already been set up already

my fears is that am married and you know what that means i have ready responsibilities. so am now having fears that what of it doesn't work (which have been praying about seriously).

Bro hold unto your bank job and run your bakery.

Get someone to run it for you.
Or probably get young students / out of school youthful individual and work with them.

Just to a suggestion any way

1 Like

Re: Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business by aydgov: 9:17pm On Aug 24, 2022
My blunt advice, don't quit your job now because you need to run feasibility study of the business to know how sustainable it is.
Firstly, hiring reliable and experienced bakery worker especially in production and marketing aspect of it is very crucial. Using your strategical discretion to manage and monitor the business affairs is another thing.
Finally, do this and be convinced that the business capacity can sustain you. I think this will enable you to decide reasonably.

1 Like

Re: Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business by Geosystem(m): 9:24pm On Aug 24, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:
Don't try it! Go and work at least part-time in a bakery first.

The last person I know who did this entered serious financial and debt problems! Go first and learn the rudiments and tricks of the trade before putting your hard-earned savings in it.

For free business ideas and directory of sources of fund, and other freebies, check my signature!

Best ever advice IMO. Work for free self if you can. Your goal is to see how the systems work in a typical bakery. Financial management, marketing and production are key for your business. Best wishes

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business by rhames(m): 9:39pm On Aug 24, 2022
dennis3888:

Welcome to the entrepreneur generation and lucky to have an experienced Baker and Baker trainer and bakery and confectionery strategist here.

What's your level of training?

I was trained by three big institutions in and already five years in the business as a consultant and a bakery owner. It's an interesting journey as a baker.

Seven things determine the success of your bakery business. Your equipment, Capital, cost of materials, your personnel, location,management and customers.

Start with one bag everyday for the first three months and increase it to three bags in the fourth.

Beware of these retail and wholesale distributors. They are the main source of bakery business closures in the country. Sell directly and in cash.

Pay your workers moderately.

Maintain a good bank account and a fine credit score. You could attract funding from multilateral organisations. I got additional long term funding from one of these local institutions ( not NIRSAL)

Keep good records of transactions.

Good luck.

How about you?

2 Likes

Re: Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business by Ruthymoon(f): 9:41pm On Aug 24, 2022
Bakery business too get wahala , to much of problems, e nor easy at all
Re: Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business by Thustle: 9:49pm On Aug 24, 2022
dennis3888:

First and foremost, bakery is not for the faint hearted. Eating of bread in Nigeria is in season and a lot of factors must be considered before setting up a bakery. There are three types of market for bread makers in Nigeria, ur sales depends on the area you're and the market you want to target. Am a baker though, I can help out with some stuffs if u need them.
Re: Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business by Trust50: 10:00pm On Aug 24, 2022
I'm a bakery owner with eighteen years experience. Infact we started like family business but we later settled ourselves. We are three out of four men in the business.
Currently, we are checking on other business to do as bakery isn't profitable again.
My dear, if I see any job that pays me #100.000.00 naira now I won't think twice but gladly accept the offer.
Don't leave your current job, you will surely regret
Re: Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business by Ajibade123(m): 10:15pm On Aug 24, 2022
life is too short for you not to try everything shit you want to try start your bakery
Re: Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business by jimcaddy(m): 11:02pm On Aug 24, 2022
They have already said what was in my mind. Bread business in Nigeria is not as lucrative as before because of competition, cost of materials, taxation, etc. It will be hard to break even at first because you will have to pay the Baker's salary. I mean, most bakeries are shutting down because they simply cannot break even.
Re: Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business by solochris(m): 11:35pm On Aug 24, 2022
dennis3888:

I own a bakery and I have been running it since 2 yrs now. If you live in Lagos, you can visit my bakery for proper training.
Check my thread below

https://www.nairaland.com/6310897/just-opened-own-bakery

1 Like

Re: Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business by POTUS9ja(m): 11:41pm On Aug 24, 2022
My brother please listen to me. I'm a bakery owner and a master baker here in Uyo. I started the business in 2015. After I trained in the Living Faith Church Headquarters (Canaanland) Bakery and other local bakeries at Ota. After my training, I did not have the funds to start; so what I did will shock you. I started buying loaves from Canaanland and flying them via plane to Uyo to sell. That was how passionate I was. Who does that? Lol!

I eventually started my bakery small scale and within a year, it grew to become one of the best three brands in Uyo City. My secret was quality and good customer relations.

See enh! A lot is required of you if you must go into this business. This decision is not to be taken lightly. There are a mile-long reasons I can give you why you must not just saunter into it. Get yourself a professional for advice. You must know the enormity of the task ahead.

I speak this way from personal experience as an owner, baker and Consultant in this business.

But if I must give my candid and undiluted advice; now is NOT a good time to enter this business. As I speak to you, I have closed my factory for months now. Almost 40% of my colleagues have done same too.

This is Uyo I'm taking about. I don't know of your own base. Generally speaking, there has been a serious downturn of the business. Bakery business is lucrative despite it's huge challenges. But the reality on ground now is that we are no longer making money the way we used to. Why do you think the National body of Master Bakers have threatened to go on strike? Our materials are so costly now that we can no longer make profits. You will attest that prices of bread have hit the roof. As a result people can no longer afford bread as before. Consequently, sales have dropped for the few factories still managing to produce.

You will also notice that the quality of the bread you used to buy has dropped drastically. This is the only way the bakers can manage to make a little profit.

Personally I have refused to alter my quality just because I want to make sales. I have come too far to lose my position in the market. I reckoned that I rather take a hiatus than to temper with my bread quality that is so beloved by many.

I am not discouraging you o! But please seek the input of experienced practitioners or consultants.

If you were here in Uyo or neighbouring towns, I would have gladly helped.

Goodluck Amigo!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business by Cleanworld(f): 1:54am On Aug 25, 2022
dennis3888:

''What of'' Will never allow you to be great. Seven year on 100k salary? So what of if you are sack today? won't you find a way and start that business. if you can put all ego aside and handle that business like its for another person, it won't be long before you will get to your great height .

SO WHAT OF IF YOU STRATEGIZE AND ASK OTHER TO JOIN YOU BASE ON COMmISSION?

GO I SAY ....AND PROSPER NOW!
Re: Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business by ChybuzzDD(m): 4:49am On Aug 25, 2022
aylive02:
. In most local places, they will require you join one "stuff" or the other like that. If you are a Muslim, Christian, or traditionalist, it must be a strong one to not give in to them. You know what I mean?

See ehh, when you believe so much in these rubbish things, it'll be difficult to make any progress in life.

The reason is that you'll be spending your time and resources trying to satisfy something that doesn't exist instead of focusing on improving yourself and/or business.

Have you asked yourself why only Africans dwell on these things The answer is pure ignorance!
Re: Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business by Phraences: 7:03am On Aug 25, 2022
Cleanworld:

''What of'' Will never allow you to be great. Seven year on 100k salary? So what of if you are sack today? won't you find a way and start that business. if you can put all ego aside and handle that business like its for another person, it won't be long before you will get to your great height .

SO WHAT OF IF YOU STRATEGIZE AND ASK OTHER TO JOIN YOU BASE ON COMmISSION?

GO I SAY ....AND PROSPER NOW!

Aspire to Inspire. Na una dey lead person to grave.
Re: Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business by Phraences: 7:05am On Aug 25, 2022
POTUS9ja:
My brother please listen to me. I'm a bakery owner and a master baker here in Uyo. I started the business in 2015. After I trained in the Living Faith Church Headquarters (Canaanland) Bakery and other local bakeries at Ota. After my training, I did not have the funds to start; so what I did will shock you. I started buying loaves from Canaanland and flying them via plane to Uyo to sell. That was how passionate I was. Who does that? Lol!

I eventually started my bakery small scale and within a year, it grew to become one of the best three brands in Uyo City. My secret was quality and good customer relations.

See enh! A lot is required of you if you must go into this business. This decision is not to be taken lightly. There are a mile-long reasons I can give you why you must not just saunter into it. Get yourself a professional for advice. You must know the enormity of the task ahead.

I speak this way from personal experience as an owner, baker and Consultant in this business.

But if I must give my candid and undiluted advice; now is NOT a good time to enter this business. As I speak to you, I have closed my factory for months now. Almost 40% of my colleagues have done same too.

This is Uyo I'm taking about. I don't know of your own base. Generally speaking, there has been a serious downturn of the business. Bakery business is lucrative despite it's huge challenges. But the reality on ground now is that we are no longer making money the way we used to. Why do you think the National body of Master Bakers have threatened to go on strike? Our materials are so costly now that we can no longer make profits. You will attest that prices of bread have hit the roof. As a result people can no longer afford bread as before. Consequently, sales have dropped for the few factories still managing to produce.

You will also notice that the quality of the bread you used to buy has dropped drastically. This is the only way the bakers can manage to make a little profit.

Personally I have refused to alter my quality just because I want to make sales. I have come too far to lose my position in the market. I reckoned that I rather take a hiatus than to temper with my bread quality that is so beloved by many.

I am not discouraging you o! But please seek the input of experienced practitioners or consultants.

If you were here in Uyo or neighbouring towns, I would have gladly helped.

Goodluck Amigo!

The best advice comes from people who are in the business. When people are running away from the business, is that the right time to start?

Better to have everything on ground so when things stabilize you hit the ground running. Not jumping into it now.
Re: Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business by Phraences: 7:07am On Aug 25, 2022
Trust50:
I'm a bakery owner with eighteen years experience. Infact we started like family business but we later settled ourselves. We are three out of four men in the business.
Currently, we are checking on other business to do as bakery isn't profitable again.
My dear, if I see any job that pays me #100.000.00 naira now I won't think twice but gladly accept the offer.
Don't leave your current job, you will surely regret

This is reality on ground. One needs to be careful. Motivational speakers are dangerous. There are important factors that need to be taken into consideration.
Re: Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business by dennis3888: 8:05am On Aug 25, 2022
Good morning all have read through all your Advises and criticism and I really appreciate your response but my challenges are thus

Where I work is in a different state from where I am setting up the business so monitoring, shuttling in between will be a big challenge

Secondly my wife is working in a government establishment that is demanding so she can not put an eye on the business

Thirdly it's a new business and have invested a couple of millions in the business how can I leave it in the hands of strangers to manage it for me.my plan is to kick start it and watch it grow then I will look for other source of income like a paid job.

Lastly my bank job is stressful and demanding and it's target driven and I can loose it anytime so it's also risky for me

Thank you all

2 Likes

Re: Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business by JessiE06: 10:19am On Aug 25, 2022
Please stay with your job or think of another business to open. Bakery business is not a business you can start if you are not very FINANCIALLY BUOYANT and have ANOTHER steady source of income. It is a highly risky business where you can lose 70% of your investment in a day. As someone whose parents own a bakery what I can never advise anyone to start it because you have to be prepared to run into debt at anytime. You'll be shocked at the large amount of debts and loans most of these big bakeries have to take to continue running. It is a very profitable business but it is so risky that just the slightest thing can cause you to lose half of your investment. Worst is no matter how many years of experience you have it is never enough. I can go on and on about the risks. From production to the workers to sales. It's plenty
Re: Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business by JessiE06: 10:19am On Aug 25, 2022
JessiE06:
Please stay with your job or think of another business to open. Bakery business is not a business you can start if you are not very FINANCIALLY BUOYANT and have ANOTHER steady source of income. It is a highly risky business where you can lose 70% of your investment in a day. As someone whose parents own a bakery what I can never advise anyone to start it because you have to be prepared to run into debt at anytime. You'll be shocked at the large amount of debts and loans most of these big bakeries have to take to continue running. It is a very profitable business but it is so risky that just the slightest thing can cause you to lose half of your investment. Worst is no matter how many years of experience you have it is never enough. I can go on and on about the risks. From production to the workers to sales. It's plenty
Re: Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business by CzarChris(m): 11:00am On Aug 25, 2022
Nlkay:

Pls what kind of consultancy are you into?
I'm a geotechnical engineering consultant.

2 Likes

Re: Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business by CzarChris(m): 11:04am On Aug 25, 2022
Bengs37:
[color=#006600][/color] please what does it take to become a consultant in ones field.
Have a mentor,
Get the needed qualifications in your field,
Get experience while of course working for your mentor,
Register with the professional bodies in your field to get the needed licenses where necessary and your good to go.
Re: Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business by CzarChris(m): 11:12am On Aug 25, 2022
pocohantas:

Make una dey calm down with motivational speech abeg. Salary pass salary.
No bi motivational speech o. Agreed salary pass salary, but ensure you have a side hustle just in case. I've worked with an IOC in my earlier days. Some of these guys where paid in dollars, some where paid in millions. The starting salary for a fresh graduate was 450k as at 2010. I don't know about now. But once they retire, or even downsize, the payoff is huge, but within 5years they die off. Because of bad investments.
Good you have a wonderful salary, but hmmm, anything can happen at anytime. Sack, retrenchment and downsizing is real ooo!
Re: Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business by Nlkay(m): 12:23pm On Aug 25, 2022
CzarChris:
I'm a geotechnical engineering consultant.

How often do you get jobs with this? You reside in Lagos or where cos I share same discipline.
Re: Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business by CzarChris(m): 9:43pm On Aug 25, 2022
Nlkay:

How often do you get jobs with this? You reside in Lagos or where cos I share same discipline.
You have a degree in Civil Engineering/Engineering Geology?

1 Like

Re: Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business by Nlkay(m): 10:49pm On Aug 25, 2022
CzarChris:
You have a degree in Civil Engineering/Engineering Geology?

Geology
Re: Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business by dennis3888: 4:16pm On Sep 06, 2022
Please you are derailing my thread biko
Re: Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business by tammie24: 9:30am On Sep 09, 2022
dennis3888:
Good morning all have read through all your Advises and criticism and I really appreciate your response but my challenges are thus

Where I work is in a different state from where I am setting up the business so monitoring, shuttling in between will be a big challenge

Secondly my wife is working in a government establishment that is demanding so she can not put an eye on the business

Thirdly it's a new business and have invested a couple of millions in the business how can I leave it in the hands of strangers to manage it for me.my plan is to kick start it and watch it grow then I will look for other source of income like a paid job.

Lastly my bank job is stressful and demanding and it's target driven and I can loose it anytime so it's also risky for me

Thank you all
grow your business joor
Put your energy in your business
Life itself is a risk
Just make sure your bread is affordable tho cos that's where the market really is... Masses
God be with you

1 Like

Re: Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business by dennis3888: 7:46am On Oct 03, 2022
Thanks bro

grow your business joor
Put your energy in your business
Life itself is a risk
Just make sure your bread is affordable tho cos that's where the market really is... Masses
God be with you[/quote]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why It Is So Dificult To Get A Job With A 2.2? / How Do You Respond To This Kind Of Question? / Please Help Before My Friend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.