Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,418 members, 7,830,112 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:25 PM

Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? - Car Talk (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? (38494 Views)

What Comes To Your Mind When You See These Cars On The Road? (PHOTOS) / See This BMW Futuristic Motorcycle That Belongs To Blade Runner / Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by Yemaxollar(m): 5:59pm On Aug 26, 2022
parking in front of peoples properties is a security threat and can criminate the owner of the property. e.g. abandoned stolen vehicle, bomb or illegal weapons, and a lots u can think of.....blocking people from their view or the entrance of their house, spying, kidnapping and so on.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by Orangedreams: 6:02pm On Aug 26, 2022
I think we should be more specific. This madness is only in Lagos. Not sure it's same in other states. Honestly it is not funny the entitlement mentality. Unfortunately, these same idiots who use tyres to block spaces in front of their houses, park their cars in front of people houses when they go out. It is madness indeed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by ibinaboonline: 7:03pm On Aug 26, 2022
Who your empathy epp? Go and pack your car in front of people's properties in Europe or the US. It doesn't matter that you're blocking the home owner's access to their property.
sukkot:
its just infuriating. that someone has the guts to walk up to your private property and let the air out ire when you are parked on a road they do not own. its one of the frustrating things about living in nigeria. its just so irritating. am getting to the point where i m starting to see all nigerians in their own little ways are dictatorial in nature which is good because my empathy is starting to fade off slowly. you cant be empathetic when living amongst demons lol.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by chatinent: 7:07pm On Aug 26, 2022
You mah no park in front of person shop. That's the entrance and exit way.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by mycar: 7:17pm On Aug 26, 2022
The poster should go and park in front of police station or army barracks, nonsense

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by lezz(m): 7:26pm On Aug 26, 2022
GloriousGbola:

depends on the road. some roads can clearly be claimed as government roads.

and depending on the mood the agents can be very aggressive about setback. the summary is they are within the law as it was probably sworn in - though of course you can actually take them to court to be absolutely sure.

i am usually very very paranoid about parking and i sometimes will find a place far from where i am going with clearly defined car park and walk or take okada. because i have resting bitch face when i have to deal with these louts and they can see it.
whatever you're smoking, it's time to quit

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by Philomath1212: 7:26pm On Aug 26, 2022
When you're in a lawless country, everyone rules...
The problem of Nigeria are the Nigerians...
Sometimes I wonder if there's brain in their heads...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by Bluffly: 7:33pm On Aug 26, 2022
alizma:

Sometimes you save some money for this kind of wahala, park somewhere, leave your vehicle to a distance not too far, if anyone try to deflect your tyre don't disturb him just make a video of him/her, thereafter you drive out like that so that the tyre will completely damage then go to police and register a case of attempted kidnapped because whoever deflect your tyre can pass for many possible case. Then tell the police that you are too scared to go there on that day.that you need to see your doctor. Then the following, by which time the criminal must have forgotten the case, return to the station for your case let them picked him and charge him for attempting to kidnap you for ransom. By the time the person finished with that case and buy you a new tyre, next time he won't try it.
Look at how dumb you suggestion is. You want to accuse the house owner you patled in front of his house for kidnapping. Please go and face ypur studies
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by Dwightventures(m): 7:41pm On Aug 26, 2022
Ishilove:

So you had empathy before?? Welcome to the real world, son.

1992 Journal entry

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by alizma: 7:52pm On Aug 26, 2022
Bluffly:

Look at how dumb you suggestion is. You want to accuse the house owner you patled in front of his house for kidnapping. Please go and face ypur studies
You will know that my advise is not dumb the day you or any of your relations try that rubbish with me. I have don it before and I will do it again when the opportunity provide itself. Since some of you think you are mad, people like me will always remind you that madness is in every man, how we all manage it is what differentiate us from others. I parked on a road constructed with public funds of which I am one and because you think you build house there, you have the right to deflate my tyre, you will hear am hot.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by southernbelle(f): 7:55pm On Aug 26, 2022
I also noticed same with walkways/sidewalks. Some home-owners will deliberately block government-constructed walkways/sidewalks outside their houses with tyres, big waste bins, blocks, etc., leaving pedestrians to use the main roadways that are dangerous.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by Dtruthspeaker: 8:00pm On Aug 26, 2022
sukkot:
somehow i dont think appurtenances works when it is public road grin

The word "Residential Estate" or even "Private Estate" proves that this does not qualify as public infrastructure.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by Bluffly: 8:00pm On Aug 26, 2022
alizma:

You will know that my advise is not dumb the day you or any of your relations try that rubbish with me. I have don it before and I will do it again when the opportunity provide itself. Since some of you think you are mad, people like me will always remind you that madness is in every man, how we all manage it is what differentiate us from others. I parked on a road constructed with public funds of which I am one and because you think you build house there, you have the right to deflate my tyre, you will hear am hot.
Dumb, dont change gear. You entered an estate and parked infront of a house. Infact it is time-wasting to argue with idiots. I am sure you did that with a stupid person perhaps like you.

It is public fund that did the road in an estate abi.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by alizma: 8:04pm On Aug 26, 2022
Bluffly:

Dumb, dont change gear. You entered an estate and parked infront of a house. Infact it is time-wasting to argue with idiots. I am sure you did that with a stupid person perhaps like you.

It is public fund that did the road in an estate abi.
If you didn't read the post from the beginning, I will advise you go back and read it. He said he parked on the road in front of a house. I don't know where you leave but I for one understand clearly what OP is saying because I have had such experience on several occasions with house and shop owners. Once I am on the road and I am not disturb by government officials, I am ready to give it back to any individual or group in their own measure. Don't be too blind to read the topic before jumping into argument with people.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by Bluffly: 8:19pm On Aug 26, 2022
alizma:

If you didn't read the post from the beginning, I will advise you go back and read it. He said he parked on the road in front of a house. I don't know where you leave but I for one understand clearly what OP is saying because I have had such experience on several occasions with house and shop owners. Once I am on the road and I am not disturb by government officials, I am ready to give it back to any individual or group in their own measure. Don't be too blind to read the topic before jumping into argument with people.
Oga you entered argument with yourself. In the third paragraph he metioned estate. You should read well and learn to decipher. What he experienced was in an estate.

See it attached if you cannot navigate your way

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by Myself2(m): 8:29pm On Aug 26, 2022
sukkot:
I have had issues with 'mad' Nigerians over this madness. you will see people put tire on the road in front of their house so that you will not park in front of their house like did you pay for the road too? Is the road your property?

And when you park there they will leak your tire. Please, do these idiots know that their property does not extend beyond the fence you paid for? You don't own the road. I hate these people with this entitlement mindset. One idiot haas actually leaked my tire because I parked on government road that happens to be in front of his property. You will see these demonic sons of baal disfigure the whole place by putting tires on roads in front of their house so someone does not park there.

This has happened to me in estates too. When you buy a house in a gated estate do you buy the road in front of your house with it? I seriously need an answer to this particular question because I have had troubles with people in gated estates who think the road in front of their house is theirs and no one can park on it?

Do you need to be foul mouthed to make your point ? You started with mad Nigerians and a couple of the use of the term idiots, demonic sons of baal etc etc haba
Do you have an idea how the tone of your comment has portrayed you ?
Have you heard about legal set backs ? That is the space in front of the houses of people which they actually have a right to ? You don't know what they have seen and what they are trying to avoid. There has been cases of strangers that parked their vehicles in front of peoples houses, then abandoned the vehicles there for months before coming to tale them away, thereby subjecting the owners of the building to all manner of inconvenience and denial of the use of their legal set backs. Also some of those abandoned vehicles have turned out to be vehicles used and abandoned by robbers, which when the police officers eventually traced the vehicle to the spot it was parked, they just went ahead and arrested the owner of the house it was parked in front of. So people have their reasons for guarding their legal set backs jealously, if you want to use it, you have to ask nicely
If you must park in front of a persons house, normally there should be no issue, but you will help your own case if you take the initiative to politely ask for the permission of the occupant/owner of the building you intend to park in front of their house. Just ask nicely
A soft answer turneth away wrath, so the Bible says.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by EgunMogaji2: 8:34pm On Aug 26, 2022
sukkot:
a very valid point although i see a downside to that. it would turn to the wild wild west out here. all these mentally unhinged population we have in this country armed ? grin grin i dont know bro. some guy go to the amala joint and order 2 meat and they give him 2 small meat ? everybody in that joint catching a bullet on that day lol

I disagree.

A percentage of those in the amala joint will return fire too.

Pretty soon it’ll be public knowledge to control your craziness because others will treat your f’up.

In the meantime we’re being picked off one by one. The bad guy’s are already armed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by Originalsly: 9:02pm On Aug 26, 2022
adioolayi:

The security around their house is their business...go park elsewhere...park at dedicated parking lot...you can be seen as a security threat!

How far does the security zone extend?.... up to the parking lane?... to the middle of the street? I'm waiting for a sensible answer.
@ topic.... the owner has no right or control over street parking .... that's public space. Should I park in front a residence and return to find my tires flat.... that house ... and the car will be bombed with rotten eggs.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by Nobody: 10:46pm On Aug 26, 2022
Just don't smile ,when I park my car the kind aggressive look I go give you ehn, you go chill,if you mistake less my tyre then we go settle am for station

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by AfroKnight: 10:51pm On Aug 26, 2022
Op, Sukkot, your query is still ambiguous.

Are you talking about the setback between the fence and the road, Or the road shoulder?

If it’s the setback then the owner of the plot has full control over it even though he cannot build on it. He will also be prosecuted if the waste management agency finds the place untidy after a series of warnings.

If you mean the shoulder, it is government property. You can park there except the plot owner is a VIP who has security concerns, in which case you will be harassed by security officers for your suspicious parking.

For example, If you park in front of Peter Obi’s house, you will be moved by force.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by GerogeI(m): 11:23pm On Aug 26, 2022
GloriousGbola:

oh i am sure the neighbourhood watch and all those nosy old ladies will not call the police on strange cars parked beside their driveways

there is a lot of nuance you are missing here

Nigerians have to provide their own security. nigerians have to be paranoid. Nigerians know that if anyone starts abusing what you consider to be basic rights it will be on them

can you imagine someone abandoning a used ice cream truck in front of your house? or a stolen car? or parking in front of your house at night to fk in the car?

I have read all kinds of excuses on simple common civility, that I think Nigerians are mis-educated. Just like this poster. The simple question is does your property extend into the public space called road. The simple answer is no. If it did, you that is claiming the road in front of your house will not be able to go to market or work or school. Because you will have to use roads passing in front of other peoples houses.

What business of your is it, what a car parked, legally parked on a public road in front of your house is doing inside if the person has not invited you or knocked on your door? Whether sex or otherwise. If public nudity is a crime, then call the police, not blocking legsl road users as collateral purnishment. Who even gave you the job of preventing sex in a car in the first place.

Some people are talking of parking, as if the road in front of their house is their private garage. If you need private parking, build your own in your house. If you are parking on the road, note that it was built and approved by tax payers (even the road in your estate is public property, unless your estate is specifically designated as a private space which is rare), as such is a first come first serve parking space. Apart from junctions, and cross roads, any two lane road approved by town planning authority is a legal parking space for anybody, unless otherwise stated via a notice by the local Government authority. Not police or Army, as they have no jurisdiction over space planning.

The most annoying, blocking street roads in the name of neighbourhood association. You have zilch rights over public roads either as landlords or tenants. That expressway you pass everyday goes in front of someones house. Even a mad man from the furthest boarderland in Nigeria has every right to pass through that estate gate you lock everyday without hinderance. For your security, secure your house, not the roads we all share just because you live close to that section

But alas, we live among mad people who are so strangely selfish and self centered that they cannot build a society, but think they are sane. The level of our brain self awareness has not gone much further away from that of animals, and is still not much further than the "me, I, mine, my" . Even public funds is not about the public but about their pockets, positions of public service to them is not about the service, but about their kingship and new found powers. They turn democratic tenets into validations of their alpha ego. Thats why tinubu is shouting emilokan, when he should be begging people to give him mandate.

Black people are inherently flawed in their psychology. They cannot work together, they cannot build except individually, they lack the brian capacity to project and understand the consequences of their choices and actions. Trust is a concept that they do not understand. Rather like mere monkies they steal and horde everything they can. Leadership to them means only Kingship and physical supremacy, hence their leaders only allow power to transcend at the point of their death. Like monkey troupes or tribes, the young leaders must kill the old leader to take power, so animalistic, but we all want to claim to be humans.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by Nobody: 12:36am On Aug 27, 2022
But u sef no try o, ur own house no get space wey u fit park na front of another man house u com see to park ur car, chai u sef fear God. In this kind of country wey everywhere no safe, u wan come make ur neighbor uncomfortable in his own house, u get luck say no be front of my house u come park ur car, u go cry nobody go answer u.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by Tobest94: 3:27am On Aug 27, 2022
Unless it’s state or federal road, if not you don’t even have the right to park in front of people’s house without their permission. People do a lot to repair and maintain road in front of their house and you think you have right to just park there anyhow?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by sukkot: 6:11am On Aug 27, 2022
southernbelle:
I also noticed same with walkways/sidewalks. Some home-owners will deliberately block government-constructed walkways/sidewalks outside their houses with tyres, big waste bins, blocks, etc., leaving pedestrians to use the main roadways that are dangerous.
complete madness. somebody needs to teach these people a lesson
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by sukkot: 6:14am On Aug 27, 2022
Orangedreams:
I think we should be more specific. This madness is only in Lagos. Not sure it's same in other states. Honestly it is not funny the entitlement mentality. Unfortunately, these same idiots who use tyres to block spaces in front of their houses, park their cars in front of people houses when they go out. It is madness indeed.
these idiots are making life miserable for everybody. acting like demonic mini dictators
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by sukkot: 6:20am On Aug 27, 2022
Bluffly:

Oga you entered argument with yourself. In the third paragraph he metioned estate. You should read well and learn to decipher. What he experienced was in an estate.

See it attached if you cannot navigate your way
bro the topic is in two parts, public roads as well as roads in private estates. alizma is right
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by sukkot: 6:23am On Aug 27, 2022
Originalsly:

How far does the security zone extend?.... up to the parking lane?... to the middle of the street? I'm waiting for a sensible answer.
@ topic.... the owner has no right or control over street parking .... that's public space. Should I park in front a residence and return to find my tires flat.... that house ... and the car will be bombed with rotten eggs.
grin grin thats called righteous vawulence lol
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by sukkot: 6:29am On Aug 27, 2022
GerogeI:

I have read all kinds of excuses on simple common civility, that I think Nigerians are mis-educated. Just like this poster. The simple question is does your property extend into the public space called road. The simple answer is no. If it did, you that is claiming the road in front of your house will not be able to go to market or work or school. Because you will have to use roads passing in front of other peoples houses.

What business of your is it, what a car parked, legally parked on a public road in front of your house is doing inside if the person has not invited you or knocked on your door? Whether sex or otherwise. If public nudity is a crime, then call the police, not blocking legsl road users as collateral purnishment. Who even gave you the job of preventing sex in a car in the first place.

Some people are talking of parking, as if the road in front of their house is their private garage. If you need private parking, build your own in your house. If you are parking on the road, note that it was built and approved by tax payers (even the road in your estate is public property, unless your estate is specifically designated as a ptivate space which is rare), as such is a first come first serve parking space. Apart from junctions, and cross roads, any two lane road approved by town planning authority is a legal parking space for anybody, unless otherwise stated via a notice by the local Government authority. Not police or Army, as they have no jurisdiction over space planning.

The most annoying, blocking street roads in the name of neighbourhood association. You have zilch rights over public roads either as landlords or tenants. That expressway you pass everyday goes in front of someones house. Even a mad man from the furthest boarderland in Nigeria has every right to pass through that estate gate you lock everyday without hinderance. For your security, secure your house, not the roads we all share just because you live close to that section

But alas, we live among mad people who are so strangely selfish and self centered that they cannot build a society, but think they are sane. The level of our brain self awareness has not gone much further away from that of animals, and is still not much further than the "me, I, mine, my" . Even public funds is not about the public but about their pockets, positions of public service to them is not about the service, but about their kingship and new found powers. They turn democratic tenets into valudations of their alpha ego. Thats why tinubu is sjouting emilokan, when he should be begging oeople to give him mandate

Black people are inherently flawed in their psychology. The cannot work together, they cannot build except individually, they lack the brian capacity to project and understand the consequences of their choices and sctions. Trust is a concept that they do not understand. Rather like mere monkies they steal and horde everything they can. Leadership to them means only Kingship and physical supremacy, hence their leaders only allow power to transcend at the point of their death. Like monkies troupes or trubes, the young leaders must kill the old leader to take power.
very well said
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by sukkot: 6:32am On Aug 27, 2022
Philomath1212:
When you're in a lawless country, everyone rules...
The problem of Nigeria are the Nigerians...
Sometimes I wonder if there's brain in their heads...
very well said
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by sukkot: 6:33am On Aug 27, 2022
georgedaniel01:
Nigeria na illiterate country!

They won't maintain the road or even plants flowers.

Mad people will just step out and say "Oga them no dey park for here"
grin grin yeah
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by 9icetoo(m): 7:54am On Aug 27, 2022
GerogeI:

Some people are talking of parking, as if the road in front of their house is their private garage. If you need private parking, build your own in your house. If you are parking on the road, note that it was built and approved by tax payers (even the road in your estate is public property, unless your estate is specifically designated as a private space which is rare), as such is a first come first serve parking space. Apart from junctions, and cross roads, any two lane road approved by town planning authority is a legal parking space for anybody, unless otherwise stated via a notice by the local Government authority. Not police or Army, as they have no jurisdiction over space planning.

But alas, we live among mad people who are so strangely selfish and self centered that they cannot build a society, but think they are sane. The level of our brain self awareness has not gone much further away from that of animals, and is still not much further than the "me, I, mine, my" . Even public funds is not about the public but about their pockets, positions of public service to them is not about the service, but about their kingship and new found powers. They turn democratic tenets into validations of their alpha ego. Thats why tinubu is shouting emilokan, when he should be begging people to give him mandate.

Black people are inherently flawed in their psychology. They cannot work together, they cannot build except individually, they lack the brian capacity to project and understand the consequences of their choices and actions. Trust is a concept that they do not understand. Rather like mere monkies they steal and horde everything they can. Leadership to them means only Kingship and physical supremacy, hence their leaders only allow power to transcend at the point of their death. Like monkey troupes or tribes, the young leaders must kill the old leader to take power, so animalistic, but we all want to claim to be humans.

I couldn't have said it any better.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? by Chynx(m): 8:13am On Aug 27, 2022
Why don't you park in front of the premises you are visiting?

I have a long low gate-like fence in front of my house. If you park there, I deflate your tyres...cos you're not sure of where I have chosen to access my compound through! When you build your own house, you will understand!

Go call police.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

2020 BMW X1 Has A Bigger Grille And Screen / 10 Classes Of Nigeria Driver's License / A Few Weeks After I Bought My First Car, I Went Home Forgetting That I Had A Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.