Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,165 members, 7,815,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:34 AM

How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits (37255 Views)

NIN-Bank Linkage: 85.51 Million Bank Customers Risk Account Suspension / Skye Bank Customers Don't Panic - 10 Things To Know About Skye Bank Takeover / How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits by ipobarecriminals: 9:05am On Sep 04, 2022
sad
Re: How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits by SouthSouth1914: 9:05am On Sep 04, 2022
abumeinben:

Village people sef the thing don tire them.

It's no news that IT personnel of banks are leaving. Lots of "stuff" may happen. There's nothing that can't be tracked on how money moves in banks, it depends on who's involved and why.

The mass hysteria on bank staffs leaving the country is directly proportional to endless ongoing bank fraud. Some of these fraud cannot be found immediately, until audit or so are done!
Re: How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits by Rayjnr: 9:06am On Sep 04, 2022
I so much pity customers that put their life savings in these four Banks,
Zenith
Access
Gtb
Uba
I am in the financial sector, just as CBN rightly said, they don't resolve issues.

2 Likes

Re: How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits by Honchoslim16(m): 9:07am On Sep 04, 2022
I ran up them bands, this ain't NFT money
Re: How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits by TheWolfen(m): 9:07am On Sep 04, 2022
Rogue bank staffs. Thieves!
These same people will be blaming politicians for corruption undecided
Re: How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits by baralatie(m): 9:13am On Sep 04, 2022
YoungLionken:
They're definitely talking about access bank..

Severally airtime debit without remittance..

Criminally minded charges every damn time..

Poor network, especially weekends, lots more..

Buhari is actually better than Access bank...

Re: How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits by Gaabasky: 9:13am On Sep 04, 2022
I knw GTBank will be there n top the list n I'm not disappointed.
Re: How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits by Halo22: 9:16am On Sep 04, 2022
Once had such case with GTCO(bank). Mine was a case of #53000.00 being transferred via Opay link, though I suspected my neighbor who once used my phone to fund his Opay acct. However till today, the bank couldn't resolve that issue after two years. It's unfortunate

2 Likes

Re: How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits by atheistandproud(m): 9:17am On Sep 04, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:
These are mostly the bank IT staff that are being purged from the system .
The media was once using these same fraudulent IT staffers to blackmail the government that they are leaving our banks en mass to japa when most were actually fleecing innocent depositors and fleeing or attempting to flee Nigeria with efcc on their trail.

Exactly. How much them dey pay IT when dem take see money take japa.

International Flight tickets na your mate? Na big bars person go cough up oh.
Re: How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits by unscripted(m): 9:19am On Sep 04, 2022
They pay contract staffs 75 k in this harsh economy, what did they expect.. the banking industry is a sensitive one , you must treat your staffs well to avoid this stories ... these banks declare massive profit every year while paying contract staffs peanut.. now the masses get punished for their greed .. these stories will not end until CBN sincerely do the right thing about this contract staff nonsense..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits by Ayodeoba: 9:22am On Sep 04, 2022
Access bank should be held for ridiculous charges,I remembered one night,a sum of thirty three thousand went missing overnight from my gtb account,I rushed down to gtb bank,they knew what I could do based on the fact I was working with a press then,they refunded my money after 20working days

2 Likes

Re: How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits by baralatie(m): 9:24am On Sep 04, 2022
Ayodeoba:
Access bank should be held,I remembered one night,a sum of thirty three thousand went missing overnight from my account,I rushed down to gtb bank,they knew what I could do based on the fact I was working with a press then,they refunded my money after 20working days
You lucky o
Re: How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits by Nobody: 9:26am On Sep 04, 2022
Rayjnr:
Zenith
Access
Gtb
Uba
I am in the financial sector, just as CBN rightly said, they don't resolve issues.
But I thought uba was better na.
Re: How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits by Nobody: 9:28am On Sep 04, 2022
unite4real:
I stopped reading when I got to the part on the article where it says GTB in one year had 673.7M complain.

"GTB recorded 673.7m complaints attached to claims of N3.09bn."

How is that possible. Not even in China will such a number spring out.

I weak for our journalists in Nigeria.
very half baked journalism to sway public sympathy. How do u blame a bank for a customer who compromised his or her details to a fraudster over the phone? Same people who support and praise every yahoo boy in the street will still complain of fraud.

4 Likes

Re: How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits by JoshTim: 9:29am On Sep 04, 2022
There are two sides to commercial banking: receiving and the giving side. Banks receive deposits from you and i ( because it is not owned by them, it is called a liability. If i put my money in the bank, i expect interest(the reward for keeping my money in the bank).

Banks take this funds and give it out to credit "worthy" individuals and institutions in return for the same amount and interest(to meet the interest contractually promised the depositors and as a form of gain to the bank).

So, if there is fraud as a result of the collapse of the internal control mechanism of the bank, the bank is liable and responsible for it. And so may suffer fines, reputational damage, credit risk, and so on.

Fraud, NPLs are the biggest sources of bank failure.

Most fraud nowadays are coordinated from within.

Information security cracks more obvious than ever.

These information eventually get outside and customers are defrauded.

3 Likes

Re: How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits by Ayodeoba: 9:31am On Sep 04, 2022
unscripted:
They pay contract staffs 75 k in this harsh economy, what did they expect.. the banking industry is a sensitive one , you must treat your staffs well to avoid this stories ... these banks declare massive profit every year while paying contract staffs peanut.. now the masses get punished for their greed .. these stories will not end until CBN sincerely do the right thing about this contract staff nonsense..
with this your response,I believe you re one of those stealing from customers account,75k is still a whole lot of money if you spend wisely and save to invest in personal business,I was formally earning 50k but never stole anybody's money, stealing is forbidden in my family. If you re part of them,may you suffer in your old age and be completed isolated till you die. If the money is too small,why take the job?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits by Ayodeoba: 9:33am On Sep 04, 2022
baralatie:

You lucky o
I was ready to drag the hell out on them,the step I took then,they knew they are in hot soup if they didn't refund my money,I will disrupt their service in that branch and I got the backing of the press.
The alert I received was that I took Uber overnight,me wey dey speep that time

1 Like

Re: How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits by baralatie(m): 9:35am On Sep 04, 2022
Mufakirnaqdiun:

But I thought uba was better na.
Ehn
undecided
Re: How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits by GloriousGbola: 9:37am On Sep 04, 2022
@pocohantas

how much of this is friendly fraud?

and what are the measures end users should be taking that they are not taking?

a part of me thinks the issue may be people not taking adequate security measures

and also not going through proper channels

i had a failed transaction that did not reverse after 2 months. went to my local branch, got the we will work on it story
will be done in two weeks

after two weeks i called my banking officer directly and issue was resolved in 48 hours.

what are the actual steps to protect yourself?

1 Like

Re: How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits by WorkSmartEdu: 9:39am On Sep 04, 2022
It is a known fact that nigeria is a big crime zone. Every manner of abominable crimes go on there with no consequences, this is very terrible. What a shame! Peter Obi certainly has to ascend to the presidency next year if nigeria will attain any semblance of human dignity...QED!

1 Like

Re: How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits by We4all: 9:41am On Sep 04, 2022
So true! As it is now, I am trying to withdraw my funds from my bank accounts and leave as little as I can. Stupid banks that can’t protect their customers.

There was an international unauthorized transaction on my GTB account. I received an email from them as soon as the transaction occurred.

I was asked to hotlist my card if I didn’t recognize the transaction. I did so immediately, but stupid GTB bank failed to reverse the transaction.

I performed two transactions on my UBA account which didn’t go through. It’s been months and they have failed to refund my money.

Should I mention how they connive with fraudsters to request card details from naive customers?

My little niece opened a bank account recently and as soon as she and her chaperone stepped out of the bank premises, she received a call from a fraudster requesting for her card details.

How did a random fraudster get wind of her banking activities? The answer is simple: he acted in connivance with a bank staff.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits by NamelessOGBENI(m): 9:42am On Sep 04, 2022
Rich4god:
The basis of all this is that banks are highly under staffed and I blame CBN for all this. This is because they are supposed to regulate the welfare of banks staff and also. checkmate their workload.

My experience in banking, I have noticed that banks will rather prefer frauds to take place than for them to employ more staff to mitigate it. They did prefer for customers issue to go unsettled or delayed than for them to employ hands that will make the process faster.

Most banks have few hands attending to customers complaint resolution.

A lot of POS/ATM transaction that failed, customers hardly get refunds. And some that do have to go through the stress of going to the bank over and over again.

Now imagine how much yearly that customers forfeit to bank.

Most bank staff are overstretched in their work place. The bank management knows and the HR knows too.

Then the bulk of the staff in branches are mostly contract staff who earns very little money with little or no benefits. How then do you expect them to perform better.

I recently went through the he financial statements of the top 5 banks in Nigeria. Just see their enormous profit, yet bulk of their staff are contracts who earn nothing and CBN just kept quiet.

If our CBN regulatory department are doing their work properly, Andy bank who's yearly profit is above 100Bn have no business paying any of their staff doing core banking job less than 200k.

Funny enough, some banks have a yearly profit above 200Bn yet some of their core banking staff are been paid less than 100k monthly.
You capture it well.
Re: How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits by biggy00000(m): 9:43am On Sep 04, 2022
While I cannot absorb staff of the banks as they ar also prevail to lot of information;
Let's staff of NIBSS also share in the blame as sometimes these fraudster only have your BVN and name (which can also be gotten from NIBSS) and will need you to tell them the bank you use as well as your PAN/CCV.

Possible Solution.

All debit card PAN should be frozen by default; you as a card holder will need to contact and fill out a physical form in the bank to unlock your PAN for any online usage.

Olúwa a wá pẹlu wà

2 Likes

Re: How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits by Ayodeoba: 9:44am On Sep 04, 2022
franciskaine:
very half baked journalism to sway public sympathy. How do u blame a bank for a customer who compromised his or her details to a fraudster over the phone? Same people who support and praise every yahoo boy in the street will still complain of fraud.
ogbeni shut up,not all cases that customer's compromised their details with fraudsters,my money went missing overnight from gt account,I wasn't even using atm at all then,some bank staffs are thieves and doesn't care who cries
Re: How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits by Maccar02: 9:46am On Sep 04, 2022
Devil is even better than that analog bank call heritage bank
Re: How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits by Originalsly: 9:46am On Sep 04, 2022
The root of the problem is no consequences. In any institution ... as long as people are employed ... there will be fraudsters amongst them. What measures are in place to reduce fraud?... and what are the consequences? In my job ... the reputation and integrity of the employees are very high despite there are sooooo many opportunities for fraud and even more for theft. Why?... the consequences are extreme .... restitution plus fine and imprisonment. In this case... what consequences does the bank staff face if caught? ... stern warning or termination.... which makes it more that worth the risk to commit fraud.

2 Likes

Re: How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits by Hungerbadoo: 9:48am On Sep 04, 2022
That was how Access Bank debited me kon swallow my card join. Nonsense and ingredient.
Re: How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits by yemmit90: 9:52am On Sep 04, 2022
Rich4god:
The basis of all this is that banks are highly under staffed and I blame CBN for all this. This is because they are supposed to regulate the welfare of banks staff and also. checkmate their workload.

My experience in banking, I have noticed that banks will rather prefer frauds to take place than for them to employ more staff to mitigate it. They did prefer for customers issue to go unsettled or delayed than for them to employ hands that will make the process faster.

Most banks have few hands attending to customers complaint resolution.

A lot of POS/ATM transaction that failed, customers hardly get refunds. And some that do have to go through the stress of going to the bank over and over again.

Now imagine how much yearly that customers forfeit to bank.

Most bank staff are overstretched in their work place. The bank management knows and the HR knows too.

Then the bulk of the staff in branches are mostly contract staff who earns very little money with little or no benefits. How then do you expect them to perform better.

I recently went through the he financial statements of the top 5 banks in Nigeria. Just see their enormous profit, yet bulk of their staff are contracts who earn nothing and CBN just kept quiet.

If our CBN regulatory department are doing their work properly, Andy bank who's yearly profit is above 100Bn have no business paying any of their staff doing core banking job less than 200k.

Funny enough, some banks have a yearly profit above 200Bn yet some of their core banking staff are been paid less than 100k monthly.

This is not an issue at all. Infact bank can fully operate without any staff. All they needed is working automated system that will respond to customer's complaints immediately.

If those online banks can solve their customers problem in less than 24 hours, I don't think there is any excuse for traditional banks to do the same.

Their actions are mostly deliberate, and there is no regulation authority the victims can report.

3 Likes

Re: How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits by Revolva(m): 10:02am On Sep 04, 2022
Rayjnr:
Zenith
Access
Gtb
Uba

Bros I have these 4 bank account each and noting bad have happened to me like someone wiping my bank ACC ..never they can't get me ....I am smarter Dan a banker

Any body wey gurk na he lose guard his details

But

The only issue I have is UBA when someone used a UBA bank account to dupe me of 150k and I sued the account holder (Uba refused to give us the guy corect home address) can u imagine na fake address de customer (fraudsters) BVN , me vs Uba bank went to court for 9months and I won the case and money was reversed back to my account not all d money because when the bank acc was totally frozen with court order the fraudster have spent a lot out of the account I was lucky I met 101k which was reversed
Re: How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits by unscripted(m): 10:02am On Sep 04, 2022
Ayodeoba:
with this your response,I believe you re one of those stealing from customers account,75k is still a whole lot of money if you spend wisely and save to invest in personal business,I was formally earning 50k but never stole anybody's money, stealing is forbidden in my family. If you re part of them,may you suffer in your old age and be completed isolated till you die. If the money is too small,why take the job?
I did not say this to justify stealing ,, I am only pointing at one of the obvious cause of this manace. The issue is on a rise and u still want to blame individual moral and ethics for it? There is a structural wrong somewhere that is allowing staffs turn to crime easily. This is what I am trying to point out ... I am an insurer not a banker , and I have never being a contract staff.

2 Likes

Re: How Bank Staff-Assisted Frauds Affect Bank Customers’ Deposits by Basiljoe: 10:07am On Sep 04, 2022
Manny21:
I keep saying it bankers are the most fraudulent people in Nigeria. While the big bankers (executive directors) aid money laundering and fuel corruption in high places and at the top, the bankers at the middle and lower wrung of the ladder assist internet fraudsters, steal money belonging to customers and give information to criminals about customers
Not just in Nigeria. Almost everywhere in the world. International bankers have their hands dipped in unimaginable stuffs. From funding war and terrorism to underground money laundering to outright fraud.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Deal In Agric Products From North / Arthur Eze Hosts Birthday Reception For Prince Olisa, Visits Prisons, IDP Camps / What Is The Valid Zip Code For Nigeria? Pls Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.