Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,100 members, 7,811,095 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:16 PM

FAAN Apologises Over Faulty Escalators At Lagos Airport - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / FAAN Apologises Over Faulty Escalators At Lagos Airport (13262 Views)

Emdee Tiamiyu Apologises Over Comment On BBC Interview / FAAN Apologises Over blackout At MMIA, Ikeja / Commotion Among Passengers In Nigeria-turkey Bound Plane Over Faulty AC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

FAAN Apologises Over Faulty Escalators At Lagos Airport by HonNL: 11:53am On Sep 05, 2022
A twitter user has narrated how she suffered a serious cut on her leg due to the faulty escalators at the MMIA, Lagos.

In a post shared on twitter, the lady @elvikioup said she was going to take legal actions after the near-death experience.

Life-Threatening Experience with Escalators at Murtala Mohammed International Airport Lagos.

Thread with pictures and videos attached.

On Saturday 3rd September 2022, I returned to Nigeria with my family. My excited 5 year old wanted to use the escalator instead of the stairs.

We travel around the world and escalators are normal to him. However, in the past I’d warned my kids not to use escalators in Nigeria (how sad). On this day, he wanted to and I insisted I hold his hand (there's no place in the world we go that I've held his hand on an escalator).

I noticed the razor-sharp edges of the escalator and it was going very fast. I looked down and the very fast escalator had people tumbling on themselves. Humans started piling on each other. My reflex, I lifted my 5yr old in the air, he spread his legs high while I lay on my back.

I joined the pile of humans at the base of the escalator. The only defense I had for myself was to raise my head so that only my back was bearing the grind of the escalators. A passenger snatched my 5yr old from me.

My 9 yr old son, behind me jumped over the railings and other passengers caught him. My husband was behind me had managed to take a grip that only his back was scratched by the sharp edges. My daughter and Gloria who were behind my husband were running back up the escalators

Eventually some people lifted me up at the base of the death-trap called escalators. The immigration officers that were looking at us, looked away while continuing with the job at hand on which passengers will be in a net, 'catch for the day'.

Despite the shouts, the wailing and pandemonium, everyone was going on with their activities. It took them over 40 minutes for first aid to arrive after my husband had shouted down the airport.

I remember when those escalators happened to a boy years before. That was why I warned my children, but my 5 year old was too young to remember.

I went to the hospital and I was given a tetanus injection. Gloria had an X-ray taken of her hand.The body ache, swelling on my back and legs is ongoing.

I wonder who certified and approved the safety/ use of these escalators. We were told that they were serviced a few days before. I am definitely going to sue . The state of those escalators is totally unacceptable.

As a citizen of this country and a consistent tax payer, I have the right to raise an inquiry into this matter and sue for damages. It’s more worrisome that protection, safety, support of human life is an outward neglect and negligence of the immigration officers at the airport.

This is an obnoxious show and dereliction of duty from the immigration and security official at the airport. It is also appalling that first aid came as the last aid after 40 minutes of this painful ordeal. I was bleeding and anxious to go to hospital.

I don’t think it should be a crime to come back to my country after a holiday abroad only to go through a near-death experience.

I will get to the root of the certification of these escalators legally.

My family is traumatized.
FAAN I’m coming!

SOURCE

However, the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) has taken full responsibility and apologised to the family involved.

September 5, 2022

Press Release

Re: Life-Threatening Experience With Escalators at Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos.

With respect to the above mentioned incident which occurred at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos on Saturday, September 3, 2022, the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria takes full responsibility for the unfortunate incident, and we hereby tender our apology to the family involved.

Accordingly, We have also reached out to actively participate in the care for the injured.

FAAN is reviewing the operating procedure for the equipment, to ensure that such sudden mechanical faults do not occur again.

FAAN......Committed to her core values of Safety, Security and Comfort.

Faithful A. Hope-Ivbaze (Mrs.)
Acting General Manager, Corporate Affairs

SOURCE

1 Like

Re: FAAN Apologises Over Faulty Escalators At Lagos Airport by OMOJOHN001: 12:05pm On Sep 05, 2022
K
Re: FAAN Apologises Over Faulty Escalators At Lagos Airport by SouthSouth1914: 12:06pm On Sep 05, 2022
An international airport having a death trap as escalators calls for heads to roll! Since FAAN is claiming responsibility, can they tell us what else is wrong with the airport?

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FAAN Apologises Over Faulty Escalators At Lagos Airport by AdamuKD: 12:06pm On Sep 05, 2022
grin
Tilinbu Lagos
Zombies are dumb
Nonsense slum state

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: FAAN Apologises Over Faulty Escalators At Lagos Airport by Civilianarmy: 12:06pm On Sep 05, 2022
Nonense everywhere.

Any president wey enter must first restructure this kauntry or else e go hear am

4 Likes

Re: FAAN Apologises Over Faulty Escalators At Lagos Airport by Prechgold1180(m): 12:06pm On Sep 05, 2022
Kukuruku cook that thing

12 Likes

Re: FAAN Apologises Over Faulty Escalators At Lagos Airport by GbpusdHacked(m): 12:06pm On Sep 05, 2022
sad
Re: FAAN Apologises Over Faulty Escalators At Lagos Airport by TriCee: 12:06pm On Sep 05, 2022
Hmmm, poor maintenance culture caused this.

If they don't take responsibility, who will

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FAAN Apologises Over Faulty Escalators At Lagos Airport by Fedrick100: 12:07pm On Sep 05, 2022
They have taken the blood that was needed
Only few will understand

10 Likes

Re: FAAN Apologises Over Faulty Escalators At Lagos Airport by AleAirHub(m): 12:07pm On Sep 05, 2022
In this dysfunctional government, this is the first time I've noticed a department or ministry accepting responsibility. Future days will be better. cheesy

21 Likes

Re: FAAN Apologises Over Faulty Escalators At Lagos Airport by MrFixIt007: 12:07pm On Sep 05, 2022
Who can get the real owner of this name?

*Expect something as Gift!�����*

���� *Yekini Amoda Ogunlere*

3 Likes

Re: FAAN Apologises Over Faulty Escalators At Lagos Airport by Chris2863(m): 12:08pm On Sep 05, 2022
Nice one from them. At least, they took responsibility for that unlike our Nigerian politicians that can go any length to justify their stupidity

1 Like

Re: FAAN Apologises Over Faulty Escalators At Lagos Airport by Boyooosa(m): 12:08pm On Sep 05, 2022
What are you capable of handling effectively before

4 Likes

Re: FAAN Apologises Over Faulty Escalators At Lagos Airport by Mindlog: 12:08pm On Sep 05, 2022
Useless agency, no one would be sacked for the ineptitude.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FAAN Apologises Over Faulty Escalators At Lagos Airport by PRECIOUS14482(m): 12:09pm On Sep 05, 2022
From top to bottom

1 Like

Re: FAAN Apologises Over Faulty Escalators At Lagos Airport by slivertongue: 12:09pm On Sep 05, 2022
Follow it with compensation

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: FAAN Apologises Over Faulty Escalators At Lagos Airport by lhordspy: 12:10pm On Sep 05, 2022
End time escalator installed by Nyamiri people from dirty Aba market.

Na them

1 Like

Re: FAAN Apologises Over Faulty Escalators At Lagos Airport by Skodiswayze(m): 12:11pm On Sep 05, 2022
EscoBAT grin

MrFixIt007:

1 Like

Re: FAAN Apologises Over Faulty Escalators At Lagos Airport by Oddfinder001: 12:12pm On Sep 05, 2022
Noooo
Don't take responsibility, blame PDP,Igbos, unknown gunmen..shameful lots

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FAAN Apologises Over Faulty Escalators At Lagos Airport by tundeport(m): 12:12pm On Sep 05, 2022
Everything in this country is mess

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FAAN Apologises Over Faulty Escalators At Lagos Airport by lagosrd: 12:13pm On Sep 05, 2022
Can you imagine. They said they were only going to participate in the treatment process. Take them to court. FAAN has money and this should not be happening. Negligence and stealing will not allow them do the right thing.
Escalator wahala
Toilet .... So dirty
Camera.... Wahala
Immigration..... Wahala
Always looking for whom to rip off

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FAAN Apologises Over Faulty Escalators At Lagos Airport by Oddfinder001: 12:14pm On Sep 05, 2022
apache22b:
I pity the Obidient's urchins that will waste their useless votes on their Grandmaster who's the father of all lies.

Mark my words today, Peter Obi is going no where with his inconsequential lies.

A vote for Tinubu is a vote for a better Nigeria, better Economy, better Security.

Tinubu will single handedly eradicate touts ,Cultism and Agberos in the whole of Nigeria if elected into office.

Peter Obi and his Obidient urchins are only looking for what to eat and impoverish Nigeria even more .

Labour Party is a structureless party and cannot do more than a dead rat, just like the vulture griller [b][/b]

My brothers and sisters be wise and do what is right for a better future for our dear Country

Only Bola Ahmed Tinubu can put Nigeria on the right track again shocked
grin
Re: FAAN Apologises Over Faulty Escalators At Lagos Airport by nesphil(m): 12:14pm On Sep 05, 2022
This country nawa o.
Thank God no life was lost.
Re: FAAN Apologises Over Faulty Escalators At Lagos Airport by davillian(m): 12:14pm On Sep 05, 2022
Pele
Re: FAAN Apologises Over Faulty Escalators At Lagos Airport by blinking001(m): 12:14pm On Sep 05, 2022
Omoh, for this country? So an agency can take responsibilities for failures like this? More of this please
Re: FAAN Apologises Over Faulty Escalators At Lagos Airport by Typicool8(m): 12:14pm On Sep 05, 2022
MrFixIt007:

Who else if not Ahmed Bola Tinubu grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FAAN Apologises Over Faulty Escalators At Lagos Airport by obedience4(m): 12:15pm On Sep 05, 2022
apache22b:
I pity the Obidient's urchins that will waste their useless votes on their Grandmaster who's the father of all lies.

Mark my words today, Peter Obi is going no where with his inconsequential lies.

A vote for Tinubu is a vote for a better Nigeria, better Economy, better Security.

Tinubu will single handedly eradicate touts ,Cultism and Agberos in the whole of Nigeria if elected into office.

Peter Obi and his Obidient urchins are only looking for what to eat and impoverish Nigeria even more .

Labour Party is a structureless party and cannot do more than a dead rat, just like the vulture griller [b][/b]

My brothers and sisters be wise and do what is right for a better future for our dear Country

Only Bola Ahmed Tinubu can put Nigeria on the right track again shocked

Please vote your candidate and let others vote theirs..
Who dey hear you now go think say you get stake for APC..
Am voting PDP you vote your APC and let the people who want to vote labour vote
Re: FAAN Apologises Over Faulty Escalators At Lagos Airport by Tonymegabush1(m): 12:16pm On Sep 05, 2022
Funny ppl, FAAN only reacted because the man said he will take legal action against it's agency...

Lackadaisical attitude of Nigeria staffs to work is always below pair, was in the same airport on Friday each staff I meet was like asking for one monetary favor.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Apapa: Tanker Loaded With Petrol Falls & Spills Content / Ogbunike Cave And Her Untapped Tourist Potentials / Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Fire Razes 11 Vehicles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.