Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,715 members, 7,816,947 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:50 PM

Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? (22521 Views)

Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? / Cost Of NECO Registration In Private Schools / Fraud In Private Nursery/Pri Schl:Must A Child Buy A Book His Elder Ones Have? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Michello5(m): 12:13pm On Sep 09, 2022
Una salaries wey no get head

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by owiko(m): 12:13pm On Sep 09, 2022
I most of the private schools, their condition of services is akin to master/slave kind of arrangement. Who want labor to death for peanut?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by ednut1(m): 12:13pm On Sep 09, 2022
The useless school owners have been exploiting teachers with huge work load and poor pay. My mums friend makes 30m every term and mostly buys houses with it while she pays teachers 15k a month. What kind of evil is that

12 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by rusher14: 12:14pm On Sep 09, 2022
Ayilara1:
Public schools should be standardised

You want to find a way to blame government.

No, let private individuals pay the right cost for educating their wards.

Parents don't want to pay the right fee.

Proprietors don't want to pay the right salaries to their teachers

Everyman and his dog wants to blame government.

5 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Jeezuzpick(m): 12:14pm On Sep 09, 2022
duro4chang:
The reasons are many.Some of the reasons are poor salary, poor condition of service, job not pensionable,some school owners are bullies.

Methinks you just spelt out ALL the reasons, Boss.

2 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by SirDickOdogwu(m): 12:14pm On Sep 09, 2022
Why not when they don't treat the Staffs right, you overuse them, charge millions from parents and pay teaches peanuts � na only for Nigeria you go see this kind thing, they should adopt hour payment for their teaches and see how graduates will stom the school..... my take

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Crafteck1: 12:15pm On Sep 09, 2022
People leave where they are underpaid and not valued, parents who harass teachers for shouting or using cane on their spoilt children can teach them at home.

4 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by DLSReigns: 12:15pm On Sep 09, 2022
Infact I have come to understand that packaging is just the strategy private schools have over public schools. When you talk of qualified teachers,individuals making a career out of teaching, Most are still in public schools.

11 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by babyfaceafrica: 12:15pm On Sep 09, 2022
They don't pay well. Pay good prices and see people teaching

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by PHIPEX(m): 12:16pm On Sep 09, 2022
The private schools pay their teachers peanuts, sometimes less than the minimum wage.

The average salary in 90% of the private schools in Lagos is around 40k. That is an equivalent of the tuition paid by 1 student/pupil in a term. Statistically, the schools use the average termly tuition of 4 students/pupils to pay a teacher's salaries in a term(4months).

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by tbambam: 12:16pm On Sep 09, 2022
Why won't here be scarcity when private schools will be paying 25k with no regard for the teachers well being.. most private schools in Nigeria treat their staffs like slaves... It's worst here in Ibadan....

One even recently opened in one of the major industrial estate in Ibadan, all teachers rushed there because the school looks modern and the school fees is extremely high.. most of the teachers I know there are complaining bitterly with the way they are treated , especially from the wife of the proprietor ..can we. Call her proprietress before feminist get angry..

I blame the government anyway

6 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by anyilalaz: 12:16pm On Sep 09, 2022
SocialJustice:
If not for the irresponsibility of government, there should be nothing like private school, especially those mushroom slave factory.
Remember growing up in my community, no private schools, what we have then was govt., and missionary schools.

Not long time ago, same was obtainable for universities and polytechnics.

Reason for this|: Failure of government.
Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Tribalism123(m): 12:17pm On Sep 09, 2022
COVID 19 was an eye opener. No salary was paid upon the fact that it was poor salary. Some teachers the found that they can actually do better than class room teaching. Most of them went into tech. And now that inflation has grown wide, the ones remaining leave without notices for better future.
That's my submission. I am into tech now. And speaking with experience.

8 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Josywhyte: 12:17pm On Sep 09, 2022
1. Many private school owners feel they are them a favour

2. Meager salary

3. Bullies and insults from the school owners. They talk to u like you're a child (though we still have some good ones)

4. Distance

5. You're overly stressed,etc

3 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Mrbenny001: 12:18pm On Sep 09, 2022
Imagine a school where pupils pays upto millions including boarding facilities while they pay their teaching staff 25k...30k is this wickedness or cutting cost

2 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by nasirujj(m): 12:18pm On Sep 09, 2022
Private schools mostly employ 0 level cos the graduates can not settle down for a salary of 15-20k working from 7 to 4pm everyday. And always deducting your salaries for slight mistake and the worse part is indiscipline of the students.

Public schools students are more discipline compared to private schools. The head teacher, proprietress, director, parents will query you for punishing a student.

2 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by kelblaze(m): 12:18pm On Sep 09, 2022
duro4chang:
The reasons are many.Some of the reasons are poor salary, poor condition of service, job not pensionable,some school owners are bullies.

Very true!
Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by aestake: 12:18pm On Sep 09, 2022
Vinnie2000:

So with more Graduates Running away from teaching, who will teach our children in the Future
You. Born and teach.

2 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Josywhyte: 12:19pm On Sep 09, 2022
These indomie and new technology children of these days have no interest in school anymore,so why will a teacher stress himself/herself to go teach unserious students. They will tell u 'sir las las school na scam', 'school no fit give me money'

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by intruder15(m): 12:20pm On Sep 09, 2022
Vinnie2000:
Was in a Tricycle going home and observed that most Schools put a Vacancy for 'Teachers Wanted'.

The driver now said 'Na so so Teachers dis Schools dey find?

'If dem dey see am, e for beta nah.The Guy next to me, said!

He now told us he is a Private school teacher for 5yrs and that these days, Graduates ARE NO LONGER INTERESTED in teaching jobs!

That they are all into Plumbing, Tailoring, Graphics designs, Online selling, Bitcoin trade, Yahoo, Hookups, etc.

SO, THE QUESTION IS

What is the cause of this?

If this Ugly trend continues, Who will Teach the New generation of Nigerian children

Or in 2035 or 2040, will Education in Nigeria be something, Dispensable or Optional

Pls move to FP. Tanx.

The issue is that these private schools want to employ a graduate as a teacher and pay him like a plumber.

Instead of them to channel their energy to corpers that will appreciate the 15-20k stipend, they want to pay a father/mother 20k to 30k to teach 5 subjects under strict supervision. That's the problem.

3 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Teebaba30(m): 12:21pm On Sep 09, 2022
Of course it must happened, how do u want a guy of 28 years of age to plan his life with 15k salary with almost 3 core subjects?. No extra income, no extra time for urself. When u go on holiday nothing for you, they will only pay u to survive so u can continue to serve them, not payment to prosper in life. MAN MUST WISE UP

2 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Unlimited22: 12:21pm On Sep 09, 2022
You wán pay person 40k to teach two subjects and you wonder why. Lmao.

2 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Ge0rgeN0ra: 12:23pm On Sep 09, 2022
nahr:
The pay is too paltry and the stress is too much.
some pay well tho for those who value the importance of teachers.
The one I'm currently engaged with is paying 65k

5 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Kreddy: 12:26pm On Sep 09, 2022
Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by BabaAgba79(m): 12:28pm On Sep 09, 2022
Vinnie2000:
Was in a Tricycle going home and observed that most Schools put a Vacancy for 'Teachers Wanted'.

He now told us he is a Private school teacher for 5yrs and that these days, Graduates ARE NO LONGER INTERESTED in teaching jobs!

That they are all into Plumbing, Tailoring, Graphics designs, Online selling, Bitcoin trade, Yahoo, Hookups, etc.

SO, THE QUESTION IS

If this Ugly trend continues, Who will Teach the New generation of Nigerian children

Or in 2035 or 2040, will Education in Nigeria be something, Dispensable or Optional

Pls move to FP. Tanx.

My dear, I was once a private school teacher. I was being paid per hour. It was terrible. It was 250/300 naira per hour. At times, in a week, I wud do 12 hrs to 15 hrs in a week. In a month, I wud earn like 12,000 to 14,000 naira in 2012. I wanted to marry as a graduate, I could not due to meagre salary. I could not even rent a house. I was called for an interview in a popular private school to be paid 45,000. I lost the job. I felt like my world had crashed! In 2014, I got a job with a Federal Parastatal, and my salary was in six figures! After two months I got a car and a two bedroom apartment in Abuja. No one will stay in private schools! Those schools need to be regulated like other agencies! Lack of regulation is what is destroying the private schools.

6 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Cmanforall: 12:31pm On Sep 09, 2022
duro4chang:
And to compensate for the poor salaries, school fees must be increased, which can make parents withdraw their children
Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Science3105: 12:32pm On Sep 09, 2022
I left my teaching job, the reasons are.
(1) Poor working conditions: in the school where I work the management is ready to use you till you die. I don't see a school where a teacher will be the one to follow school bus, a teacher will be the one to sweep the class if the cleaner is not around, the class is very close to the toilet and it stinks, even the environment stinks.
2. Poor management: The kind of management in my former school is nothing to write home about, they are all after what to want to eat at the detriment of teachers.
3. Salary issues: In my former school the President refused to pay full payment of July salary , even August salary he hasn't pay and we are in September.
5. Sharing of fliers: Almost all the time we share fliers like there is no tomorrow, if you don't come to share fliers the school will penalize you by not paying your salary.

3 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by phemmyfour: 12:32pm On Sep 09, 2022
Vinnie2000:

SO, THE QUESTION IS

Pls move to FP. Tanx.
They ain't well paid. Very few can meet their needs

They get owed for months

The school owners are only interested in maximizing profit. Teachers welfare= 0

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Selina22: 12:38pm On Sep 09, 2022
PRIVATE SCHOOL OWNERS IN NIGERIA ARE VERY GREEDY AND SELFISH ,THEY USE ,ABUSE AND DOWNGRADE THE TEACHERS BECAUSE THERE IS NO JOB ,SO MANY FIRST CLASS AND SOUND GRADUATES ARE LANGUISHING IN PRIVATE SCHOOLS

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Know 98% Will Still Fail This Simple Mathematics [see Question] / Don Davis: Court Grants Bail To Deeper Life High School Principal, 6 Others / Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.