Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:45 AM

Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? (22556 Views)

Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? / Cost Of NECO Registration In Private Schools / Fraud In Private Nursery/Pri Schl:Must A Child Buy A Book His Elder Ones Have? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Kaido: 12:40pm On Sep 09, 2022
Poor pay
Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Zagee: 12:41pm On Sep 09, 2022
Most times pay is poor.

Delayed salaries.

People sometimes want more than the class room(despite the emotional backlash we get for leaving the kids) we just have to survive.

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by khadaffi(m): 12:41pm On Sep 09, 2022
Vinnie2000:

So with more Graduates Running away from teaching, who will teach our children in the Future

There will always be government schools. So your kids might attend that. Before then, public schools might have improved

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by judedwriter(m): 12:45pm On Sep 09, 2022
Poor salaries has been the major problem of Nigerian private schools from time immemorial! undecided

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Jokerman(m): 12:46pm On Sep 09, 2022
Collect good school fees so that you can pay teachers good.

2 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Ifeogunleye1(f): 12:46pm On Sep 09, 2022
[quote author=Legendforte post=116493202]The proprietors are not fair when it comes to salaries of their employees. Abuse and mockery of teachers by pupils and students without any punitive measures taking by the school management against them. E .g my place of work

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Welcomme: 12:49pm On Sep 09, 2022
Teach in private school? God forbid! Ain't going to try that again. I suffered and was looking haggard when I was a private school teacher.

3 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by lordixon(m): 12:51pm On Sep 09, 2022
duro4chang:
The reasons are many.Some of the reasons are poor salary, poor condition of service, job not pensionable,some school owners are bullies.

and nobody regulates or supervises them. what the ministry of education does is to come to the school, eat rice, chicken and malt and collect money.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by haconjy(m): 12:51pm On Sep 09, 2022
As a teacher, let me answer that question

Straight to the point.
1. Teachers work more, receive less.
2. Owner of the schools are wicked, frustrating and even owing the meager salary.
3. Parent bullies are incomparable. I know what I faced in these case.
4. Students are another Thing. They are not encouraging. They want to make money and not to be disciplined.
5. Cost of everything has increased by 500 %. How will I survive with #30,000 with a wife and 2 children?
6. Government are not helping in their own part. All they want is money and not seeing to the welfare of teachers. How will teacher received less why doctors received more? Are they both not dealing with lives? Politicians are the worst.
7. Lastly, to what I can remember, some people are very fast to bombard teachers online, and any where because teacher makes some mistakes.

The way forward is very simple, school that can't pay minimum wages should be close down.
Government should pay more attention to teachers welfare...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Smiles285(m): 12:56pm On Sep 09, 2022
Vinnie2000:
Was in a Tricycle going home and observed that most Schools put a Vacancy for 'Teachers Wanted'.

The driver now said 'Na so so Teachers dis Schools dey find?

'If dem dey see am, e for beta nah.The Guy next to me, said!

He now told us he is a Private school teacher for 5yrs and that these days, Graduates ARE NO LONGER INTERESTED in teaching jobs!

That they are all into Plumbing, Tailoring, Graphics designs, Online selling, Bitcoin trade, Yahoo, Hookups, etc.

SO, THE QUESTION IS

What is the cause of this?

If this Ugly trend continues, Who will Teach the New generation of Nigerian children

Or in 2035 or 2040, will Education in Nigeria be something, Dispensable or Optional

Pls move to FP. Tanx.
why won't they be looking for teachers when they find it very difficult to pay well after stressing the hell out of their teachers.

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Alawode01(m): 1:00pm On Sep 09, 2022
Poor salary, over work,lack of motivation.

2 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by israelmao(m): 1:02pm On Sep 09, 2022
Most owners of private schools are good at exploring graduates they pay little and want the best to be delivered they are over-profit oriented to the extent that they've forgotten that it cost you time,energy and resources to earn your degree.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by ajepako(f): 1:03pm On Sep 09, 2022
Pells:
You don't need a witch doctor to tell you Private school teachers in Nigeria even with Bsc are paid 10k-30k per month like slaves angry shocked shocked
Nigeria is just wasting all because of Buhari and Queen Lizzie
One is gone,it's remaining the other grin angry

Bros... Queen ' Eliminated ' at age 96 ?

I pray to be ' eliminated at age 96' in wealth and grace too

Amen

2 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by duro4chang(m): 1:06pm On Sep 09, 2022
Jeezuzpick:

Methinks you just spelt out ALL the reasons, Boss.
I have been in the system for years.

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Sensiblerealist: 1:06pm On Sep 09, 2022
Contact please

Prolificgiant:
Their pay is not encouraging ,are u a professional in cleaning and reside in lagos call or chat i av a job for u
Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by duro4chang(m): 1:06pm On Sep 09, 2022
Cmanforall:

And to compensate for the poor salaries, school fees must be increased, which can make parents withdraw their children
Hmmmmm
Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by duro4chang(m): 1:07pm On Sep 09, 2022
kelblaze:

Very true!
I have been in the system for years
Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Mrpojj(m): 1:08pm On Sep 09, 2022
Vinnie2000:
Was in a Tricycle going home and observed that most Schools put a Vacancy for 'Teachers Wanted'.

He now told us he is a Private school teacher for 5yrs and that these days, Graduates ARE NO LONGER INTERESTED in teaching jobs!

That they are all into Plumbing, Tailoring, Graphics designs, Online selling, Bitcoin trade, Yahoo, Hookups, etc.

SO, THE QUESTION IS

If this Ugly trend continues, Who will Teach the New generation of Nigerian children

Or in 2035 or 2040, will Education in Nigeria be something, Dispensable or Optional

Pls move to FP. Tanx.
Poor Pay is the reason

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Sensiblerealist: 1:08pm On Sep 09, 2022
Never mind please, I found it on your contact. Is the job still available

Prolificgiant:
Their pay is not encouraging ,are u a professional in cleaning and reside in lagos call or chat i av a job for u

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Alaefulu(m): 1:08pm On Sep 09, 2022
Let them be putting the vacant ooo,as for me I can't stress myself without food all in the name of being called uncle....I rather farm than teach

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by MisterRuk(m): 1:11pm On Sep 09, 2022
intruder15:

The issue is that these private schools want to employ a graduate as a teacher and pay him like a plumber.

Instead of them to channel their energy to corpers that will appreciate the 15-20k stipend, they want to pay a father/mother 20k to 30k to teach 5 subjects under strict supervision. That's the problem.
Corpers are worse. They pay them less than 10k

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by MisterRuk(m): 1:12pm On Sep 09, 2022
intruder15:

The issue is that these private schools want to employ a graduate as a teacher and pay him like a plumber.

Instead of them to channel their energy to corpers that will appreciate the 15-20k stipend, they want to pay a father/mother 20k to 30k to teach 5 subjects under strict supervision. That's the problem.

corpers are worse. They are paid less than 10k

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Jflex07(m): 1:13pm On Sep 09, 2022
OMo,i thought for four years in a private school where I was paid just 30k,then one day I just realised and told myself that I am actually wasting my time here.. A guy who studied engineering earning 30k,i had to advise myself even though it wasn't easy and I took a bold step and rightly and I am better off today.. It's really not easy for 90% of private school teachers in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Sensiblerealist: 1:14pm On Sep 09, 2022
I swear you nailed it. Even many junior secondary school students are already into Yahoo and those ones would not leave secondary schools , then begin to seek employment in private schools.
You can imagine that the most they usually pay is 30k not minding whether/how you transport yourself to work.

Tokskob2008:
In 5 to 10 years to this time so many private schools would have been shut down. I remember those days that immediately SS3 concludes their WAEC exams the very first job was to teach in private schools and the school owners would employ them because they get to pay them lesser than the certified teachers but that isn't the case anymore. School owners still feel they can keep paying scraps all in the name of salary, even the young SS3 students can't work with them anymore not to talk of trained teachers.

Very poor salary, toxic working environment, too much of work overload and many more are the reasons you keep seeing the various vacancy at their gates. It's better to be jobless than to work in some of those schools because they will deprive you of the little happiness and liveliness you have.

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Jflex07(m): 1:15pm On Sep 09, 2022
duro4chang:
I have been in the system for years
Omo jakpa oh unless your school pays well.
Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by duro4chang(m): 1:17pm On Sep 09, 2022
Jflex07:
Omo jakpa oh unless your school pays well.
Age is no more on my side. I have used my life working for school owners.

3 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by sanya4good(m): 1:20pm On Sep 09, 2022
The way Nigerians are spreading everywhere, developing new areas coupled with over population makes it very difficult for governments to catch up with needed amenities and infrastructures thereby giving rise to mushroom private schools everywhere.

Parents' lack of capacity to pay appropriate school fees on their wards coupled with unnecessary rivalry among the school proprietors make the earnings of the schools very low thereby reducing their capacity to pay due wages to their workers.

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Jflex07(m): 1:20pm On Sep 09, 2022
duro4chang:
Age is no more on my side. I have used my life working for school owners.
So unfortunate bro. That's one thing with this school job, you will say let you manage it until something better comes but as you are managing it, time is going, a child you taught in jss1 is now in Ss3, that is about 6 fucking years without achieving anything tangible. I really feel sorry for private school teachers because I was once a private school teacher.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Dshocker(m): 1:21pm On Sep 09, 2022
Vinnie2000:

SO, THE QUESTION IS

Pls move to FP. Tanx.

The job is slavery and the pay is nothing to write home about.

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by duro4chang(m): 1:24pm On Sep 09, 2022
Jflex07:
So unfortunate bro. That's one thing with this school job, you will say let you manage it until something better comes but as you are managing it, time is going, a child you thought in jss1 is now in Ss3, that is about 6 fucking years without achieving anything tangible. I really feel sorry for private school teachers because I was once a private school teacher.
That is what is happening. That's the situation I find myself. With my age zI can't japa. Children are there not well taken care of.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ongoing Protest At Ait Road, Alagbado Lagos State / Abubakar Umar Awarded Scholarship In Cyprus After Graduating With First Class / Armed Gangs Exchange Gunfire At Chukwuemeka Ojukwu University (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.