Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,941 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:39 PM

Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" (1036 Views)

To Question God's Existence Is To Question If We Should Do The Good He Says / Adeboye On Death Of Son, Dare: I Cannot Complain, Blame Or Question God / Is Having The Mental Strength To Question God's Existence A Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Wilgrea7(m): 7:32pm On Sep 12, 2022
Yeah.. this is sure to piss some people off.

Alright.. let's get straight into it. Questioning God. It's the one thing that's seen as a taboo especially in Abrahamic religions like Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

When asked certain questions, theists often turn to excuses like

1. We should not question God.. A teapot has no right to question the potter. A creation has no right to question the creator. Something along those lines.

2. God is all knowing, and his ways are above our ways. He is all wise, so no matter what it is you have a problem with, there is a higher reason/purpose for it you can't see

3. God answers to no one

4. Don't blaspheme.. this is often followed by certain threats of an imaginary afterlife

So today, I'm going to make a case for why you absolutely need to question your “God".. and why the 4 excuses given above, are not only illogical, but downright manipulative and destructive.

I'll say it once. People who do not want you to think.. are NOT your friend.

It may be somewhat of a long read, so please bear with me.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Wilgrea7(m): 7:33pm On Sep 12, 2022
Why you should absolutely question God

Let's get 1 thing straight.

1. Nobody.. no authority, no force, no individual, no prophet, no deity, no god, is beyond questioning.

If someone makes a statement about how we ought to live our lives, by virtue of being conscious thinking beings, we have every right to question that statement. It is not disrespect.. it's called critical thinking.. and not being an idiot.

People make references to statements like “would you question your parents?" .. and i will address that in the rebuttals for the 4 excuses theists give.. so moving on.

2. Claims made on behalf of anybody, must be questioned

None of us.. not me.. not you.. not anyone, saw this alleged God writing down, or dictating the things in the so called scriptures to Muhammad, Joshua, David, the apostles and any of the other religious authors.

We did not hear, see, or directly experience God making those statements. All we have, are second hand and third hand reports.

It's not a case of God speaking to everyone and saying “do this and do that"

It is a case of someone else, saying “this person, whom i believe is God told me that you should do this and do that" while simultaneously failing to prove it

3. God, whatever it is supposed to be, is not in any way, clearly well defined

I'll give an example.

Let's say for a minute, you grew up without knowing your father. You don't know what he looks like, or the kind of person he is.

Now, your father never reached out to you. Instead, someone else shows up at your doorstep and says “your father said you should give me 10 million"

Would you blindly accept, because you shouldn't question your elders, or would you ask questions? Would you not probe the claim to first know if the person was lying, or if the person who claimed to be your father was indeed an imposter?

Would you blindly follow the supposed demands of a person you've never met and interacted with personally, because someone else said you shouldn't question them?

Now, what if multiple people showed up at your doorstep all claiming to have interacted with your supposed unproven and unseen father, but all giving contradictory requests.. wouldn't that in of itself be a reason to ask MORE questions?
Re: Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Wilgrea7(m): 7:34pm On Sep 12, 2022
Now, i want to address the common exuses given by theists as to why we shouldn't question this supposed God, and show why far from being respectful, they're manipulative, and destructive.

These flimsy excuses have taken many forms. Forms like

1. A child, has no right questioning the decision of it's parents
2. A teapot should not question the potter, therefore a creation should not question its creator
3. God answers to no one
4. God's ways are above our ways. He's infinitely smarter, yadi yada.

These are often viewed as a thing of respect.. But they are far from being respectful. In addition to the points mentioned above, like the fact that

1. The existence of said parent has not been proven
2. These are situations of hearsay and second hard reports, which have also not been proven

there are many other problems with this analogy.

For example, it assumes that asking questions, is bad. It's not. It's how we learn. If your parent says stealing is bad, and you ask why, you're not disrespecting them.

You're rationalizing why an action would be deemed bad. They can go on to explain that stealing hurts the person getting robbed.. and since we wouldn't like our things to be stolen, we shouldn't do that to others.

That's a reason. An explanation that shows the child why something is the way it is. If the parent says “don't question me" .. they're not doing anything to develop the moral capacities of the child.

Rather, they're setting themselves up as an arbitrary authoritarian figure, with no other justification behind it.

Asking questions is not disrespect. It's wanting to know why something is the way it is. If you can't give any rationalization other than “because i said so".. then your statements have no basis, and I am under no obligation to obey you.

Which brings me to my next point. The one often used right after this one. That God is infinitely wise or that his ways are above our ways.

This is often used as a last resort, to try to claim that God's ways are so above our ways, that if he tried to explain his reasons to us, our mind would not understand, so therefore we just have to obey.

An example of this, would be vaccinating a baby. Their brain at the moment cannot fathom that the injection being given to them will help make them immune from deadly diseases. So they just have to go along with it.

But that analogy only looks at the good side of things. It tries to sweep the multitude of bad acts that could be justified with the same excuse.

Let's say a parent tells their child to dip their hand in a bucket of hot oil. And when the child asks why.. the parent says they can't possibly understand.. even if they explained it to them

Let's say a God tells you it's moral to stone people who aren't vigins to death, or to kill people who don't follow your religion. While this seems morally wrong to you.. your God says you wouldn't understand if he explained it to you... Does it make it any better?

If your God told you to kill your first 2 children and bathe in their blood, and he gave you the excuse of his ways being above your ways, does it make it any better? Would you do it?

We are NOT children. No matter how feeble our minds are, we have the ability to think and reason. If someone cannot provide justification for an action or request, and instead hides behind the curtain of “my ways are above your ways" then that request CANNOT be taken seriously.

An all knowing and all powerful God would have the ability to make things make sense to us, so we could understand. But we don't see that anywhere.
Re: Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Wilgrea7(m): 7:35pm On Sep 12, 2022
That brings me to my final excuse. That God is good, and we just have to trust in his goodness.

First of all, nothing, other than mere assumption, shows that the alleged God which has not been proven to exist, has to be good.

Just as we have bad parents who can abuse their children, and make them do horrible things, we are under no obligation to outrightly assume that a God, if it exists, is a good one, and has our best interest at heart.

One common exuse i hear is “look at the world God created.. with all its beauty.. how can you say he is not good.

First of all.. the link between the cause of our universe, and the deity claiming to have created our universe, has NOT been proven.

The fact that someone says a deity created the universe does not automatically mean the statement is true. None of the claims to creation have been proven as far as i know.

Secondly, making reference to the creation of the universe is emotional manipulation.

Imagine a parent tells their child... “I gave birth to you.. fed you.. clothed you.. now dip your hand in that hot bucket of oil and burn"

Do you see the emotional manipulation here? Just because some acts of good are done, doesn't mean the subsequent request is good.

It's a terrible example.. and an attempt to emotionally blackmail people. Anyone who gives such an example, whether knowingly or unknowingly, is trying to manipulate you emotionally.

This is a lot.. so I'll stop here for now to hear your thoughts, ideas and rebuttals.

Let's have a sensible discussion.
Re: Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Wilgrea7(m): 4:49pm On Sep 14, 2022
Any takers?
Re: Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Maynmann: 6:29am On Sep 15, 2022

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Wilgrea7(m): 4:16pm On Sep 16, 2022
Mr Endtimer .. maybe you'll have some thoughts about this
Re: Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Endtimer: 5:02pm On Sep 16, 2022
There are a number of issues at play here: one concerns the Euthyphro dilemma, another concerns predestination of some sort or fate and the final one concerns God’s omni-benevolence. So when you say we shouldn’t question God you’re arguing on three different grounds simultaneously. I’ll address all three separately. But I agree with the basic conclusion that questioning belief is justified and should be encouraged more often in theism. I’ll address the three sub-themes as questioning God morally, questioning God’s plan for our lives and questioning God’s benevolence. I will address them as a Christian, not a theist.
Re: Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Endtimer: 5:17pm On Sep 16, 2022
On questioning God’s morality
- This age old topic concerns the source of morality and is most famously described by Plato. His Euthyphro dilemma can be simplified as asking:
A) Is something good because God does it?
B) Does God do things because they are good?

The theist is trapped between a rock and a hard place. The first option would mean that morality is arbitrary. God can do whatever he wants and that would be good. It follows that we can do whatever we want as well as long as it’s on God’s good list at the moment. In this scenario, morals are a mirage.

The second option would mean that good exists independent of God and we do not need him to arrive at morals. In this sense God is morally irrelevant.

Of course, I choose A. Whatever God does is good. However, God will only do a particular set of things. That is to say, God will willingly only ever act in certain ways and by doing so, eliminate the arbitrariness Plato saw as inevitable. In this sense we have objective morals and God as their source just as we did before the question was raised.

I should note that the point of this and subsequent posts is not to comment on whether to question God (which is fine by me), but to provide answers to some of these questions as presented in the op.
Re: Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Endtimer: 5:29pm On Sep 16, 2022
On questioning God’s plan for our lives
- To begin, everything that happens doesn’t happen for a reason. God doesn’t micromanage reality. Good things happen to bad people and bad things happen to good people. Anyone who says otherwise is peddling extra biblical doctrine. The absurdity and randomness of the human condition are poetically described in the books of Job and Ecclesiastes.

Also, given God’s desire that we act freely, it is no surprise that our fates are not set in stone. In this regard it is futile to question God’s ways. Whether or not they are higher than yours or He is infinitely more intelligent is beside the point. If one’s entire family is wiped out by terrorists it would be more prudent to console them, rather than discuss God’s grand plan as God had nothing to do with the event. It’s not that God allowed it to happen because he has a grand plan for the person. It’s that something bad happened to the person due to others exercising their free will. If one chooses to question God in such a scenario, they have wrongly believed that they are owed security and protection by God. Thinking like that is just a form of prosperity gospel.
Re: Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Endtimer: 5:54pm On Sep 16, 2022
On questioning God’s benevolence
- It is true that as a Christian I believe that God’s goodness is enough reason to believe Him. Aquinas’ fourth way is a great summary of what I believe and how to address this topic. He observes a gradation of values of all things and proposes a superlative standard. This is commonly done by scientists even today. For instance, chemists presuppose the existence of an ideal gas that doesn’t exist to describe behaviors by other gases. Likewise, God is traditionally believed (it is irrelevant whether God exists or whether it is true or not as this is Christian doctrine and not the present argument) to be ideally good; the superlative good from which all other goods are sub-prefixed. Why it is assumed that the creator of the universe is good is because it is assumed that the first cause must possess superlative moral qualities from which others derive. This first cause as we have already discussed is omnipotent. An omnipotent malevolence is implausible given that we exist freely and often happily. To construct a syllogism, presupposing God’s existence:
- God is maximally moral or immoral and prevents infinite regress of moral dependency.

-Given the world we live in it isn’t rational to suppose that God is the grease conceivable evil. Everyday life testifies against that notion.

-Therefore God isn’t evil and is maximally good.

To account for the evil in the world in spite of an omnipotent benevolence, we rely on the free will argument.

I anticipate your response.
Re: Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Dtruthspeaker: 5:59pm On Sep 16, 2022
Wilgrea7:

1. Nobody.. no authority, no force, no individual, no prophet, no deity, no god, is beyond questioning.

Do you real-eyes that while you are simply exercising your own power to ask questions THE RESPONDENT QUESTIONED ALSO HAS HIS OWN POWER TO REFUSE TO GIVE YOU THE ANSWERS?
Re: Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Dtruthspeaker: 6:06pm On Sep 16, 2022
Wilgrea7:
Yeah.. this is sure to piss some people off....

Don't stress yourself God did Say

"Come now let us reason together" Isaiah 1:18

He further Said

A- Ask and it shall be given unto thee.
S- Seek and you shall find.
K -Knock and it shall be opened up unto thee. Mathew 7:7

But surely, ordinary natural common sense and good training has taught everyone that no reasonable person ever answers any unreasonable and offensive (malafides) questions.

But every bonafide and reasonable question is liable to be answered.
Re: Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Wilgrea7(m): 7:41am On Sep 17, 2022
As always.. an outstanding response from you.

I agree with most of your points.. especially on what people would refer to as “God's plan"... As an atheist.. I don't subscribe to the notion that everything that happens, happens because “God wills it" or had a plan for it or something like that.. Sometimes.. things just happen.

That being said, i think the point that stuck out to me most, was the one on morality, which I'll attempt to address here.

Endtimer:
On questioning God’s benevolence
- It is true that as a Christian I believe that God’s goodness is enough reason to believe Him. Aquinas’ fourth way is a great summary of what I believe and how to address this topic. He observes a gradation of values of all things and proposes a superlative standard. This is commonly done by scientists even today. For instance, chemists presuppose the existence of an ideal gas that doesn’t exist to describe behaviors by other gases. Likewise, God is traditionally believed (it is irrelevant whether God exists or whether it is true or not as this is Christian doctrine and not the present argument) to be ideally good; the superlative good from which all other goods are sub-prefixed. Why it is assumed that the creator of the universe is good is because it is assumed that the first cause must possess superlative moral qualities from which others derive. This first cause as we have already discussed is omnipotent. An omnipotent malevolence is implausible given that we exist freely and often happily. To construct a syllogism, presupposing God’s existence:
- God is maximally moral or immoral and prevents infinite regress of moral dependency.

-Given the world we live in it isn’t rational to suppose that God is the grease conceivable evil. Everyday life testifies against that notion.

-Therefore God isn’t evil and is maximally good.

To account for the evil in the world in spite of an omnipotent benevolence, we rely on the free will argument.

I anticipate your response.

Your reference to the ideal gas makes sense, but I don't really think it applies here. So if I remember correctly (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), an ideal gas is supposed to have certain attributes, or at least in relation to things like temperature, pressure and volume. It is against these things we try to predict the behavior of other gases.

Coming to a God, the idea that a God is supremely good, is not seen in relation to any other factor. The idea that a God is the highest level of good possible, is one that could make sense in some weird theory.

But when if you try to attach this superlative morality to a God like the Christian or Muslim God, then it all falls apart in my opinion.

So earlier, you mentioned that God is good, because whatever he does is good. And then you added by saying that he will only do certain things or act in a certain way. I see that as a contradiction.

If whatever a God does is, and has to be considered good, then regardless of what he does, it MUST be seen as good

And if a God will, or can only act in a certain way in order to be considered good, then good is not dependent on him, or should I say, good is not dependent on his actions. I fail to see the middle ground here.

While I have a lot to say when it comes to morality, especially Abrahamic morality, I think it would be important to clearly understand your position on the dichotomy i addressed above.

You also mentioned that is good and evil were not dependent on God, then we wouldn't need him

I don't usually argue in defense of theistic positions... But i don't think that has to be the case here. If a standard for right and wrong exist, then you could say that such standard was set by a God.

The idea that we would not need God in such a situation only arises in cases where people think a God has to directly tell them or spell out what right and wrong are, as in the case of Abrahamic religions and a several others.

So basically, it becomes more of a deistic vs theistic argument

The question then arises, that if a God set a standard for good and bad, is he subject to that standard? If yes, then he can be seen as good or bad.. if no, then he can neither be seen as good nor bad.

I've had this discussion with some theists here. It seems to me as though most people want a God who is perfectly or maximally good, and one who can still do whatever he wants and retain the title.

The reason we can call ourselves good or bad, is because we measure our actions against a standard. If a God has no standard to measure himself against, then I don't think it makes sense to call him maximally good.. or bad.

The idea of a maximally good being isn't even something I agree with.. mainly because I don't see how it is possible.

Some people have said that since a God would invent the standard, and deviation from said standard would be what is considered bad, then by virtue, God is maximally good. But that doesn't relate.

The standard itself cannot be seen as good or bad.. the standard simply is. The only way you can call it good or bad is if you measure it against another standard.

If I set a rule, that no one should eat after 9pm.. that doesn't make me, or the rule itself, right. If there is no other higher standard to measure it against, then titles such as good or bad in respect to a God just don't seem to make sense.

What do you think?

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Wilgrea7(m): 9:17am On Sep 17, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Do you real-eyes that while you are simply exercising your own power to ask questions THE RESPONDENT QUESTIONED ALSO HAS HIS OWN POWER TO REFUSE TO GIVE YOU THE ANSWERS?

If someone wants to tell me how i should live, and I ask why, and the person chooses to withold the reasons.. then i am under no obligation to obey them

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Wilgrea7(m): 9:21am On Sep 17, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Don't stress yourself God did Say

"Come now let us reason together" Isaiah 1:18

He further Said

A- Ask and it shall be given unto thee.
S- Seek and you shall find.
K -Knock and it shall be opened up unto thee. Mathew 7:7

But surely, ordinary natural common sense and good training has taught everyone that no reasonable person ever answers any unreasonable and offensive (malafides) questions.

But every bonafide and reasonable question is liable to be answered.

I don't think my questions are unreasonable or offensive.

Also . When i talk of questioning God.. I don't simply mean asking “God" questions.

I mean questioning everything relating to the concept of God. For example

Questioning the claim that God indeed spoke to people or inspired anything
Questioning the claim that certain miracles happened
Questioning the notion that a God has to be a certain way
Questioning the alleged instructions claimed to have been given by said God through someone else, rather than directly
Questioning the way certain things are done, or were reported to have been done

And more

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Dtruthspeaker: 9:44am On Sep 17, 2022
Wilgrea7:

I don't think my questions are unreasonable or offensive.

It is not the person who gives unreasonablility and offence who determines whether he was unreasonable and offensive.

It is the person who is hurt and wounded by that unreasonability and offence.

And as you have seen many have accused you of being offensive.

Wilgrea7:

Also . When i talk of questioning God.. I don't simply mean asking “God" questions.

I mean questioning everything relating to the concept of God...

This declaration alone has already revealed your Anti- God Pre-judged mind (Bias and Apathy and Rebellion) all of which give offence because you have already broken The Law of Fair Hearing, Presumption of Innocence and Good Faith among other Laws, which of course immediately shows and proves that your question is borne out of malice and not bonafide.

Which is why every.reasonable will not be disposed to responding to your question in exercise of their power to refuse to answer your question.
Re: Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Dtruthspeaker: 9:52am On Sep 17, 2022
Wilgrea7:

If someone wants to tell me how i should live, and I ask why, and the person chooses to withold the reasons.. then i am under no obligation to obey them

Your asking this question "how i should live, and why" has already told us that you have already planned and desired to disobey them as you have power to so disobey, (Rebellion)

So we immediately see that your asking the question is vain as you have already decided that you would not obey.

And that if and when given an answer, you are only going to use that answer as your public open declaration of why you are disobeying, thinking that we do not know that you planned on disobeying anyway!

Therefore, no reasonable person would answer you unless they have their own reasons for giving the answer, after all, what will be, will be.

And you are still going to disobey as you planned to do whether anyone answers you or not!

You would use your power in any way and manner as you choose but you 'i hate God people' always forget that you are not the only ones who can use their Power!

Others too who have power, also have a Right like you to use their own Power!

And when we remind you people of that, you people go beserk and that is when you people start shout and Complain that God has used His Power or He Should not Use His Power.

But when it comes to you people, no one should tell you to not use your power.

That is how unreasonable and unjust and unfair you "I hate God people" are, and really you are not entitled to be listened to by anyone nor be given the gift of a response.
Re: Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Wilgrea7(m): 11:42am On Sep 17, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

It is not the person who gives unreasonablility and offence who determines whether he was unreasonable and offensive.

It is the person who is hurt and wounded by that unreasonability and offence.

And as you have seen many have accused you of being offensive.

Several things

1. I didn't question YOU... I questioned your concept of a God. If you choose to take offense... That's on you.

I also don't ask questions to offend. I ask to know. To understand. If your God exists, and he indeed sees the heart of men, the he knows my intentions. And except he somehow disclosed them to you, your getting offended on his behalf makes no sense.

2. Also, just because you get offended at a question.. doesn't mean the person who asked it is necessary wrong. They may be, but then again, they may not be.

There are certain people today that would get offended if you use the word “human" because it has man in it. They actually exist.

Them choosing to get offended won't stop me from calling them humans. I won't bend reality to pander to your emotions.

This declaration alone has already revealed your Anti- God Pre-judged mind (Bias and Apathy and Rebellion) all of which give offence because you have already broken The Law of Fair Hearing, Presumption of Innocence and Good Faith among other Laws, which of course immediately shows and proves that your question is borne out of malice and not bonafide.

Which is why every.reasonable will not be disposed to responding to your question in exercise of their power to refuse to answer your question.

What part of my questions show a “pre-judged" mind? Since when is wanting to verify claims crucual to how you're supposed to live an act of rebellion?

If you get offended by basic and harmless questions like that, then that's on you. You can't proceed to call something offensive simply because it challenges the notion of God you have.

When you bring any sort of doctrine to people, they have every right to question every single bit of it.

If it offends you, then I'm sorry... But I won't blindly accept unproven or unclear claims simply because challenging them hurt you, or your God's feelings

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Wilgrea7(m): 12:01pm On Sep 17, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Your asking this question "how i should live, and why" has already told us that you have already planned and desired to disobey them as you have power to so disobey, (Rebellion)

Asking why does not imply you want to disobey. It simply implies, that you want to know "why"

So we immediately see that your asking the question is vain as you have already decided that you would not obey.

And that if and when given an answer, you are only going to use that answer as your public open declaration of why you are disobeying, thinking that we do not know that you planned on disobeying anyway!

Therefore, no reasonable person would answer you unless they have their own reasons for giving the answer, after all, what will be, will be.

And you are still going to disobey as you planned to do whether anyone answers you or not!

You have no idea what I have planned. As someone who frequently attacks me for making assumptions. You're making some very bold ones here yourself.

You would use your power in any way and manner as you choose but you 'i hate God people' always forget that you are not the only ones who can use their Power!

Others too who have power, also have a Right like you to use their own Power!

And when we remind you people of that, you people go beserk and that is when you people start shout and Complain that God has used His Power or He Should not Use His Power.

But when it comes to you people, no one should tell you to not use your power.

That is how unreasonable and unjust and unfair you "I hate God people" are, and really you are not entitled to be listened to by anyone nor be given the gift of a response.

Nothing you've said here makes any sense in relation to me, or what other atheists do. Who made this about people's rights to use "power"??You're talking about something else entirely.

Questioning your concept of a God, does not mean I hate "God". Asking questions, and hatred are not the same thing. You should really learn the difference.
Re: Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Dtruthspeaker: 12:09pm On Sep 17, 2022
Wilgrea7:

Several things

1. I didn't question YOU... I questioned your concept of a God. If you choose to take offense... That's on you.

When you question "MY" concept of God, do you not question me?

And when offence is given to a person it would definitely "be on" the person, so you have only admitted that you would do whatever you like and do not care who it offends, as is you can do with your power.

No problem, we have all seen that the good/evil we do, always returns back to the doer!

Wilgrea7:

I also don't ask questions to offend.

You are just repeating yourself! Already addressed.

Wilgrea7:

2. Also, just because you get offended at a question.. doesn't mean the person who asked it is necessary wrong.

That is why The Owner of this world set down A Court, so that
Re: Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Dtruthspeaker: 12:22pm On Sep 17, 2022
Wilgrea7:

Asking why does not imply you want to disobey. It simply implies, that you want to know "why".

You have no idea what I have planned. As someone who frequently attacks me for making assumptions. You're making some very bold ones here yourself.

People know that we are sometimes successful in reading other people's minds. So we know when you plan on disobeying.

Wilgrea7:

Nothing you've said here makes any sense in relation to me, or what other atheists do. Who made this about people's rights to use "power"??

When you said
"1. Nobody.. no authority, no force, no individual, no prophet, no deity, no god, is beyond questioning"

Because you have mouth and power to ask questions!

Wilgrea7:

Questioning your concept of a God, does not mean I hate "God". Asking questions, and hatred are not the same thing. You should really learn the difference.

We know hatred when we hear it.

And time and experience has shown us that the only people who ask certain types of questions have all turned out to be haters of God!
Re: Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Wilgrea7(m): 12:26pm On Sep 17, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

When you question "MY" concept of God, do you not question me?

Absolutely not. Your decision to accept the concept has absolutely no bearing on me questioning it. If I choose to believe in magic unicorns, and you question if they exist, you're questioning the belief. Not me. If I get offended, that's on me.

Think of it like this. Let's say I believe there's a magic fairy talking to me, promising me a million dollars if i cut off my toe. If i go around telling people they should do the same to win the money, the notion of the money-giving fairy will be scrutinized. Because people question things. It's how we separate fact from fiction.

If I choose to get offended, at their criticism, then I'm to blame. You cannot expect a belief to engage with reality, and not be verified or scrutinized.

And when offence is given to a person it would definitely "be on" the person, so you have only admitted that you would do whatever you like and do not care who it offends, as is you can do with your power.

No problem, we have all seen that the good/evil we do, always returns back to the doer!

I'll say it again. Reality does not bend to your emotions. If you make a claim to reality, then that claim is subject to the scrutinization process all other objects in reality face. Putting your emotions in-between won't change that. If anything, it only shows how insecure you currently are.

If I say there's a pink unicorn following me, and I'm able to prove it without any doubt, then why will i get offended if someone asks me to? The only set of people who get offended are the ones who have nothing to prove, but insist on being taken seriously, or insist on their claims being taken as truth.

For someone who claims to love the truth, you sure don't like it when this alleged "truth" is put to the test
Re: Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Wilgrea7(m): 12:30pm On Sep 17, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

People know that we are sometimes successful in reading other people's minds. So we know when you plan on disobeying.

Congratulations I guess?

When you said
"1. Nobody.. no authority, no force, no individual, no prophet, no deity, no god, is beyond questioning"

Because you have mouth and power to ask questions!

Yes... I can, and will, ask questions. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. It how we learn. It's how we grow. If the idea of asking questions is something you find deeply troubling, then that says a lot about you. Not the person asking.

We know hatred when we hear it.

And time and experience has shown us that the only people who ask certain types of questions have all turned out to be haters of God!

Once again... Congratulations??
Re: Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Dtruthspeaker: 12:35pm On Sep 17, 2022
Wilgrea7:
... If the idea of asking questions is something you find deeply troubling, then that says a lot about you. Not the person asking.

grin go look at my personal text in my profile!
Re: Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Wilgrea7(m): 12:54pm On Sep 17, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

grin go look at my personal text in my profile!

cheesy

Wilgrea7:

For someone who claims to love the truth, you sure don't like it when this alleged "truth" is put to the test

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Endtimer: 12:56pm On Sep 17, 2022
I’ll address what I can. I need to read more on God’s relationship to certain things.

Wilgrea7:

So earlier, you mentioned that God is good, because whatever he does is good. And then you added by saying that he will only do certain things or act in a certain way. I see that as a contradiction.

I don’t see the contradiction. The point of that option in the dilemma is to make the theist abandon moral objectivity in favor of arbitrariness. I accepted the option and sidestepped the challenge it is supposed to pose.

Wilgrea7:

If whatever a God does is, and has to be considered good, then regardless of what he does, it MUST be seen as good

I agree.

Wilgrea7:

And if a God will, or can only act in a certain way in order to be considered good, then good is not dependent on him, or should I say, good is not dependent on his actions. I fail to see the middle ground here.

I disagree. Here you are mixing up the premises of both options of the dilemma. It isn’t that God will only act in a certain way to be seen as good. It is that whatever God does is good. Good is whatever God does. It isn’t that He only acts in those ways to conform to the good; rather those things are only good because they are His characteristics. Good is therefore entirely dependent on Him. However to eliminate the possibility of moral subjectivity, I said that God does not change morally. While whatever He does is good, He has only ever done the same things. So good is good because God does it and it doesn’t change because God’s nature doesn’t change. Evil would be good if God suddenly did it, but that’s an impossibility in this model. This is theistically sound, even though it requires further explication to be used in Christianity.

Wilgrea7:

The idea that we would not need God in such a situation only arises in cases where people think a God has to directly tell them or spell out what right and wrong are, as in the case of Abrahamic religions and a several others.

I do believe that God is the only authoritative source of morality. I’ve just been accused of not knowing anything about ethics but it is in fact well known that any atheistic philosophy of ethics must assume certain moral first principles borrowed from religion. Aquinas referred to these as the cardinal virtues as we can arrive at them logically even though they lack moral value without God.

Wilgrea7:

The standard itself cannot be seen as good or bad.. the standard simply is. The only way you can call it good or bad is if you measure it against another standard.

This is especially insightful. God’s moral qualities are seen as superlative. That is, God’s virtue outdoes all incidence of morality. While all morals are on a scale of decay from His, we’ve already covered this as part of the dilemma. The reason the standard is good is because it is representative of God’s character. Remember that that is the first option of the dilemma: that what ever God does is good. What makes it good is that God does it. What we’ve done here is pick God’s superlative qualities as our moral pivot (the only alternative would be superlative qualities in the other direction). The reason for this is so one standard doesn’t depend on another; so that we avoid infinite regress of moral dependency.
Re: Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Dtruthspeaker: 12:59pm On Sep 17, 2022
Wilgrea7:

Absolutely not. Your decision to accept the concept has absolutely no bearing on me questioning it.

Do you read what you write? Do you now see that you go crazy during arguments?

First you reply my question saying "When you question "MY" concept of God, do you not question me?" with "Absolutely Not". Which means that you are saying you are not questioning either me or 'my' concept.

Yet you admit
"I questioned your concept of a God" which always means that you questioned me.

Secondly, did I compell you here in any way or at any time to accept the concept?

Na wa for you.

Wilgrea7:

If I choose to believe in magic unicorns, and you question if they exist...Think of it like this. Let's say I believe there's a magic fairy ...

No one has asked you what you believe in. So no questions for you.
Re: Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Dtruthspeaker: 1:02pm On Sep 17, 2022
Wilgrea7:

If I did not like the Truth I would not be here arguing about it, even sometimes participating in none-sense and foolish arguments.
Re: Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Endtimer: 1:03pm On Sep 17, 2022
To clarify my last point: God’s standard is chosen as good because it is superlative, which means that if anything can stop infinite moral regress, it is either His morals or their evil superlative equivalent. It follows that He is either completely good or completely evil. At this point we are dealing with the designations “good” and “evil” rather than their connotations. We could dictionary swap the words and say God is evil but reality would remain the same and a positive and negative standard would still exist, however reversed.
Re: Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Wilgrea7(m): 1:44pm On Sep 17, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Do you read what you write? Do you now see that you go crazy during arguments?

First you reply my question saying "When you question "MY" concept of God, do you not question me?" with "Absolutely Not". Which means that you are saying you are not questioning either me or 'my' concept.

Yet you admit
"I questioned your concept of a God" which always means that you questioned me.

I've explained this to you already. Questioning the concept of God you happen to believe in has nothing to do with you believing in it. I'm questioning the concept and the concept alone.

Your emotional investment in it is what makes you offended. But that doesn't mean my questioning involves you.

Secondly, did I compel you here in any way or at any time to accept the concept?

Na wa for you.

Once again, this isn't about YOU
Re: Why You Should Absolutely Question "God" by Dtruthspeaker: 1:49pm On Sep 17, 2022
Wilgrea7:

I've explained this to you already. Questioning the concept of God you happen to believe in has nothing to do with you believing in it. I'm questioning the concept and the concept alone.

You are just making your matters worse.

Do you not see that it is crazy to say that "I happen to believe in" is not connected to "has nothing to do with you believing in it"?

Nna men!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Forum For C & S (cherubium And Seraphim) / Ako Letter To Abuzola / Everyone Learn From This: Another Home Wrecking Pastor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.