Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,712 members, 7,816,917 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:14 PM

Is Having The Mental Strength To Question God's Existence A Sin? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Having The Mental Strength To Question God's Existence A Sin? (628 Views)

Nairalanders, Please Why Is God's Existence A Debate? / Adeboye On Death Of Son, Dare: I Cannot Complain, Blame Or Question God / Seun, Finally I Want To Give You An Undeniable Proof of God's Existence. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Having The Mental Strength To Question God's Existence A Sin? by Dannyfan(m): 12:16pm On Jul 26, 2020
I have been faced with many thoughts in the past to question the existence of God but with the society norms, I haven't been able to ask the question.
It was recently, I got to believe that the ability to question God's existence is in everyone mental reasoning and strength. That's why I ask the question that; Is questioning the existence of God a sin?
Re: Is Having The Mental Strength To Question God's Existence A Sin? by Nobody: 12:19pm On Jul 26, 2020
Dannyfan:
I have been faced with many thoughts in the past to question the existence of God but with the society norms, I haven't been able to ask the question.
It was recently, I got to believe that the ability to question God's existence is in everyone mental reasoning and strength. That's why I ask the question that; Is questioning the existence of God a sin?
No,
I doubt think so.
God himself has empowered your brain to do so...
Re: Is Having The Mental Strength To Question God's Existence A Sin? by Dannyfan(m): 12:30pm On Jul 26, 2020
WinLABSnStores:

No,
I doubt think so.
God himself has empowered your brain to do so...

With the empowered brain, can it be see as a sin when you disbelieve in His existence?
Re: Is Having The Mental Strength To Question God's Existence A Sin? by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jul 26, 2020
Dannyfan:
With the empowered brain, can it be see as a sin when you disbelieve in His existence?
I don't think it's reasonable to think that God doesn't exist. It's just that, our IMAGINATIONS of the form of good maybe what's not correct. That's why many religion and believes exists.
Furthermore, it's also not reasonable to think that there's no force somewhere responsible for creations... Do you believe in the "big bang theory" ?
Re: Is Having The Mental Strength To Question God's Existence A Sin? by Dannyfan(m): 12:50pm On Jul 26, 2020
WinLABSnStores:

I don't think it's reasonable to think that God doesn't exist. It's just that, our IMAGINATIONS of the form of good maybe what's not correct. That's why many religion and believes exists.
Furthermore, it's also not reasonable to think that there's no force somewhere responsible for creations... Do you believe in the "big bang theory" ?
no. I believe that there is a force driving religious people, maybe different forces for different groups but does that create God?
Re: Is Having The Mental Strength To Question God's Existence A Sin? by karo93: 12:50pm On Jul 26, 2020
The argument that everything(the different galaxies, moons and planets) appeared out of nothing is not a very strong argument.

It is more likely that something caused them to be. Maybe all the different creation stories are just summaries of what actually caused everything to be. Maybe the process of creation actually took a very long time enough to fit into the theory of evolution.

Maybe the whole process started with a big bang orchestrated by a particular being...

No one can logically prove or disprove this. No one can logically prove or disprove the existence of a supreme being. You can only question it and ofcourse question his motives and actual desires

Disproving the image of God as captured by various religions is easy.

But disproving that a supreme being started the big bang for whatever reasons is impossible.

I doubt questioning God's existence is a sin though. I dont think gullibility is a virtue

But making a definite conclusion that there is no God despite your inability to logically prove it doesnt sound very intelligent.
Re: Is Having The Mental Strength To Question God's Existence A Sin? by Primesky(m): 12:50pm On Jul 26, 2020
Dannyfan:

Take care what thoughts you intertain in your heart. The greatest battle for our souls takes place there. Some thoughts are not yours, but projected by external forces.

This is my own opinion and view on your question, questioning from the standpoint of ignorance is not wrong provided you have an open mind to accept the truth and realities available.

Some times due to hardships, difficulties and unfulfilled dreams people have questioned many things, including the existence of God, like if God exist, why would he allow this and that to happen or continue to happen. Remember, God was there when His only begotten son was crucified/killed, He did nothing as it were neither did He permit any angel, spirit or created thing to act. The ertah protested (earthquake), and the elements reacted (Darkenes). But the process went on. Why?. The almighty had a plan. He's an intentional God, and doesn't owe anybody complete details of why he does or should do what he does, patience and believe is what we need.

It is natural for us to seek physical evidence first before we believe, but he says, blessed are those who believe even when they haven't seen.

The lowest level a man can go is to question the existence of God, believing that he doesn't exist is subtly saying that you are a mistake that just happened by chance and was not intentionally created by someone. Hence, the Bible calls such a fool.

Making a categorical statement and accepting the believe that God doesn't exist, after all evidences provided to you by circumstances, events and most importantly the Bible, is a sin!.
Re: Is Having The Mental Strength To Question God's Existence A Sin? by karo93: 1:05pm On Jul 26, 2020
Funny enough you actually need faith to be an atheist. The more logical position will be that of the agnostic.

The atheist has to believe that there is no God despite not having enough proof to make that conclusion.

An atheist says; i believe there is no person on earth called Salamandocolo because there is no proof that he exists

The deist says; there is someone known as that because i have read books that spoke of his exploits

The agnostic says; i dont know ! There is no proof that he exists and there is no logical argument that prevents such a person from existing

It takes faith to be an atheist
Re: Is Having The Mental Strength To Question God's Existence A Sin? by sotall(m): 1:15pm On Jul 26, 2020
Primesky:

Take care what thoughts you intertain in your heart. The greatest battle for our souls takes place there. Some thoughts are not yours, but projected by external forces.

This is my own opinion and view on your question, questioning from the standpoint of ignorance is not wrong provided you have an open mind to accept the truth and realities available.

Some times due to hardships, difficulties and unfulfilled dreams people have questioned many things, including the existence of God, like if God exist, why would he allow this and that to happen or continue to happen. Remember, God was there when His only begotten son was crucified/killed, He did nothing as it were neither did He permit any angel, spirit or created thing to act. The ertah protested (earthquake), and the elements reacted (Darkenes). But the process went on. Why?. The almighty had a plan. He's an intentional God, and doesn't owe anybody complete details of why he does or should do what he does, patience and believe is what we need.

It is natural for us to seek physical evidence first before we believe, but he says, blessed are those who believe even when they haven't seen.

The lowest level a man can go is to question the existence of God, believing that he doesn't exist is subtly saying that you are a mistake that just happened by chance and was not intentionally created by someone. Hence, the Bible calls such a fool.

Making a categorical statement and accepting the believe that God doesn't exist, after all evidences provided to you by circumstances, events and most importantly the Bible, is a sin!.

Re: Is Having The Mental Strength To Question God's Existence A Sin? by Dannyfan(m): 1:58pm On Jul 26, 2020
Primesky:

Thank you for this, I do have patience but believe is what I am battling with.

1 Like

Re: Is Having The Mental Strength To Question God's Existence A Sin? by Dannyfan(m): 2:02pm On Jul 26, 2020
karo93:
The argument that everything(the different galaxies, moons and planets) appeared out of nothing is not a very strong argument.

It is more likely that something caused them to be. Maybe all the different creation stories are just summaries of what actually caused everything to be. Maybe the process of creation actually took a very long time enough to fit into the theory of evolution.

Maybe the whole process started with a big bang orchestrated by a particular being...

No one can logically prove or disprove this. No one can logically prove or disprove the existence of a supreme being. You can only question it and ofcourse question his motives and actual desires

Disproving the image of God as captured by various religions is easy.

But disproving that a supreme being started the big bang for whatever reasons is impossible.

I doubt questioning God's existence is a sin though. I dont think gullibility is a virtue

But making a definite conclusion that there is no God despite your inability to logically prove it doesnt sound very intelligent.
Thank you for this insightful comment. So, there are high chances of a supreme being? Are you a christain?
Re: Is Having The Mental Strength To Question God's Existence A Sin? by Dannyfan(m): 2:05pm On Jul 26, 2020
karo93:
Funny enough you actually need faith to be an atheist. The more logical position will be that of the agnostic.

The atheist has to believe that there is no God despite not having enough proof to make that conclusion.

An atheist says; i believe there is no person on earth called Salamandocolo because there is no proof that he exists

The deist says; there is someone known as that because i have read books that spoke of his exploits

The agnostic says; i dont know ! There is no proof that he exists and there is no logical argument that prevents such a person from existing

It takes faith to be an atheist
hmmm.. I love this logic. So atheist is also a religion disbelieving God existence.
Re: Is Having The Mental Strength To Question God's Existence A Sin? by Kobojunkie: 2:06pm On Jul 26, 2020
Dannyfan:
if you have no real knowing of him, it becomes irrational not to question His very existence.
Re: Is Having The Mental Strength To Question God's Existence A Sin? by Dannyfan(m): 2:13pm On Jul 26, 2020
Kobojunkie:
if you have no real knowing of him, it becomes irrational not to question His very existence.
I do have real spiritual scenario (a personal drive) to know of him years ago, but will sin hinders it? Should a sinner not know of him?
Do I have sacrifice to make?
Re: Is Having The Mental Strength To Question God's Existence A Sin? by Kobojunkie: 2:20pm On Jul 26, 2020
Dannyfan:
I do have real spiritual scenario (a personal drive) to know of him years ago, but will sin hinders it? Should a sinner not know of him?
Do I have sacrifice to make?
Even those who claim to know Him are not all completely without sin. Remember Peter?

A drive to know Him is what is needed and a desire to surrender is another.

1 Like

Re: Is Having The Mental Strength To Question God's Existence A Sin? by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jul 26, 2020
Dannyfan:
no. I believe that there is a force driving religious people, maybe different forces for different groups but does that create God?
Definitely I think.
God must be responsible for all our actions.
And there's no manual or moral to what we think is right or wrong apart from what we humans have created for ourselves.
Re: Is Having The Mental Strength To Question God's Existence A Sin? by xproducer: 3:35pm On Jul 26, 2020
OP, just stating the facts respectfully... it doesn't indicate strength of mind, but in my opinion - ignorance of the existence, righteousness, and dominance of Almighty GOD; because if one knew one wouldn't have to ask the question.

"The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.” They are corrupt, They have done abominable works, There is none who does good." - Psalm 14:1

It appears to be a question that doesn't stem from faith, but unbelief... "for whatever is not from faith is sin." - Romans 14:23 (in part)

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him." - Hebrews 11:6 (Also James 1:7-9)

A word on unbelief... Romans 11:20, Hebrews 3:12

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

⭐⭐ Download Messages From SHILOH 2020 (updated) / 800-year-old Prophecy And Hidden Torah Codes: Gog And Magog Before Pandemic End / "Prophet Odumeje Is Fake” – Prophet Aloysius Challenges Him To Spiritual Battle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.