Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,441 members, 7,819,627 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:29 PM

Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals (16409 Views)

Japa: Nigerians Flood Foreign Embassies As Economic Hardship Bites Harder / Japa: Nigerians Lament As Canada Suspends Visa Operations In Abuja / What Nigerians Travelling To Dubai Are Going Through At Cotonou Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by CountVersailles(f): 8:46pm On Sep 16, 2022
sisisioge:

Thank you o...Aunty Canny was making seem like I was lying. While I do not want to do the whole breakdown, I feel it's only fair that people are aware of how bad it could get especially for single folks. Besides, I know that newbies start with survival jobs and so it will get better. The goal is to get rooted and move towards the better.

I said let me add this....how will one add that one bought a winter coat for almost 400CAD? Isn't that from the same little income? That's like crazy!
I didn't say you were lying. I said the fact that that is your reality doesn't make it the reality of significantly more persons. If you are only saving $200 a month, then you are doing something very wrong. For example, buying winter jackets for 400CAD. Really? 400CAD? If you are only imagining saving $200 a month and you are in the same breath thinking of buying winter jackets of $400, then I have no further words for you.

4 Likes

Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by Sweetvie: 8:49pm On Sep 16, 2022
CountVersailles:

I didn't say you were lying. I said the fact that that is your reality doesn't make it the reality of significantly more persons. If you are only saving $200 a month, then you are doing something very wrong. For example, buying winter jackets for 400CAD. Really? 400CAD? If you are only imagining saving $200 a month and you are in the same breath thinking of buying winter jackets of $400, then I have no further words for you.
Lol... As if everyone spend the same way
Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by sisisioge: 9:19pm On Sep 16, 2022
CountVersailles:

Thank you....its no imagination. Jacket bought already abi you want the label too? Whew! Good afternoon biko!

1 Like

Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by CountVersailles(f): 9:27pm On Sep 16, 2022
sisisioge:

Thank you....its no imagination. Jacket bought already abi you want the label too? Whew! Good afternoon biko!
Good luck. We know una type.
Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by sisisioge: 9:30pm On Sep 16, 2022
CountVersailles:

Good luck. We know una type.

Thank you for your kind words....madam canny grin

1 Like

Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by adeolabilkis002: 9:30pm On Sep 16, 2022
@AstraDroid, please can you help me with insight on how to get good jobs though have been learning python for web Dev before but switching to data sci .

Please help a sis cos I'm a single mom of 3 working in a private sec sch with 20k take home
I sent you a mail tho
Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by Hybkay(m): 10:41pm On Sep 16, 2022
@AstraDroid I sent you a mail. Kindly respond
Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by Meklex(m): 10:44pm On Sep 16, 2022
adeolabilkis002:
@AstraDroid, please can you help me with insight on how to get good jobs though have been learning python for web Dev before but switching to data sci .

Please help a sis cos I'm a single mom of 3 working in a private sec sch with 20k take home
I sent you a mail tho
wow. I admire your efforts. You can check indeed dot com. Also check out tech Twitter for recommendations and mentorship. You can also follow this woman on Facebook, she is a data scientist in USA and she drops info on how to go about learning and getting jobs as a data analyst
Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by demolagilbert: 11:10pm On Sep 16, 2022
CountVersailles:

Hello auntie, can you please explain this your mathematics? Somebody is earning 3600$ per month and can’t save $200? Did you even go to school at all?

I have lived in Canada and can explain to you in case you don’t know and are relying on typical rumours to form an opinion.

$3600 monthly. Let's say you live in Alberta. You pay rent of $1400 which is a super comfortable one bed already. Power/hydro - $50, internet - $75, groceries every month - $300, car insurance-$200, gas- $100. You'd still have $1400 left which many can't even smell in Nigeria in a month. You can change it to naira and hold it in a Nigerian account if you so desperately want to hold valueless naira. And who wants to anyways?

And even then, all these spendings are even extreme.

Make una dey calm down when una dey make these claims just to justify una naija wretchedness
silly guttural post per usual. Lol

1 Like

Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by demolagilbert: 11:15pm On Sep 16, 2022
sisisioge:

See you with your caustic mouth, na everybody no go school because you dey Canny ba? By the way, no be rumour, na experience I share. As if you no go pay tax and your bills are limited to that....before we start with the loans you're servicing. By the way, when I dey naija, a lot of my circle were earning way more than $1400 per month....don't use your limited experience to judge others. Na survival make crayfish bend biko.
as in I just tire.
Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by sisisioge: 11:31pm On Sep 16, 2022
demolagilbert:
as in I just tire. No joke. Circa 2014 most of my friends that were living in the US 3 years prior no get the things wey I get at that time. Now in 2022 none of them have my house and my 2 cars. One of these guys drives a 2010 CRV and still rents for God's sake, and I haven't even crossed 600k per month 11 years into my career.

My sister, by the time he gets a house, he would spend the next 25years paying for it....and the house is a wooden box o. Not his fault, it is our country. If security and electricity issues could be resolved in naija, I'm running back like a rabbit. The Aunty that was talking is probably one of those that either have a partner, have kids, single mother, works round the clock or lives like a miser. I dare not even do half of the things I do in naija here....I won't even be able to afford it. They call it the survival phase....it is well jare.

3 Likes

Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by jedisco(m): 12:47am On Sep 17, 2022
sisisioge:

See you with your caustic mouth, na everybody no go school because you dey Canny ba? By the way, no be rumour, na experience I share. As if you no go pay tax and your bills are limited to that....before we start with the loans you're servicing. By the way, when I dey naija, a lot of my circle were earning way more than $1400 per month....don't use your limited experience to judge others. Na survival make crayfish bend biko.

When people abroad say someone earns 3600 a month, what they mean is take home pay after tax. Aside accommodation (which is same for all developed nations), most other expenditure -food, clothing e.t.c are relatively cheaper.
It's much easier for a single person to live a reasonable life and save on a good pay in Canada than it is in Nigeria.

sisisioge:

I said let me add this....how will one add that one bought a winter coat for almost 400CAD? Isn't that from the same little income? That's like crazy!

Lol... It's quite clear when it's google search someone is relying on.
Like I said earlier, clothing is hardly an expense you take note of in a developed society. The clothes people buy as okrika in Nigeria are clothes which have been given away or discarded.
Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by sisisioge: 12:51am On Sep 17, 2022
jedisco:

When people abroad say someone earns 3600 a month, what they mean is take home pay after tax. Aside accommodation (which is same for all developed nations), most other expenditure -food, clothing e.t.c are relatively cheaper.
It's much easier for a single person to live a reasonable life and save on a good pay in Canada than it is in Nigeria.

Lol... It's quite clear when it's google search someone is relying on.
Like I said earlier, clothing is hardly an expense you take note of in a developed society. The clothes people buy as okrika in Nigeria are clothes which have been given away or discarded.

Whew! All of you folks that were really "struggling" before leaving naija sef that are currently enjoying the "relief"...its always so hard for you to belief others are not "north east" materials....e no matter sha. All of us go dey alright last last. How your double shift? grin
Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by jedisco(m): 1:05am On Sep 17, 2022
truthsayer009:

Your points are valid in some areas, but may not be valid when compared to earning 3600 CAD. You didn't actually break down and justify why you aren't able to save more than 200 CAD in a month. You should still be able to save more than that.

I agree that saving abroad can be hard, also it is easier to earn 600k to 1M as a single lady in Nigeria. Usually most people that Japa may not have this knowledge, they might be on a 200 - 400k range. So earning $1400 CAD might sound like a lot to them. If you were earning really well before you travelled, you might be angry with your experience when you move, seeing that you spend more than 30 - 50 percent of your monthly earnings on rent which doesn't make sense.

For example, going by this thread, a lot of people cannot even live in major cities, they have to move up-north where ever they live to be able to afford rent & basic lifestyle, It's like moving from Lagos to Plateau State to just be able to live a normal life.

Aside accommodation, virtually every other expense of daily living is relatively cheaper in a western nation.

Talking about major cities and using UK as the example the person used it's certainly not equivalent to plateau vs lagos. In the UK, the difference between different areas are not as with Nigeria. Once again, this is something you'd fail to grasp if you've not lived there. If you're able to retain your income outside the big cities, then leaving the big cities is a very sensible thing to do.
You'd get better accommodation, better transport, safer environment, better schools, better environment for kids out of those big cities. There's a reason why many white folks leave/retire out of the big cities when they've made good money except they're in very prime locations. With covid, most who can now work partly from home have left the big cities to live a much better life in the surburbs.
Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by jedisco(m): 1:12am On Sep 17, 2022
sisisioge:

Whew! All of you folks that were really "struggling" before leaving naija sef that are currently enjoying the "relief"...its always so hard for you to belief others are not "north east" materials....e no matter sha. All of us go dey alright last last. How your double shift? grin

It has absolutely nothing to do with struggle. If you have adequate plans and a legal means of migration moving when one is single and free of commitment is most times very rewarding. Our IT folks, heathcare workers e.t.c who leave were relatively well paid in Nigeria. There's a reason why these bright heads leave and very few regret it.

There are loads of Nigerians who are doing well much themselves out there and rising up the social ladder quickly.

Again, you fall into the Nigerian fallacy of class

4 Likes

Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by sisisioge: 1:28am On Sep 17, 2022
jedisco:

It has absolutely nothing to do with struggle. If you have adequate plans and a legal means of migration moving when one is single and free of commitment is most times very rewarding. Our IT folks, heathcare workers e.t.c who leave were relatively well paid in Nigeria. There's a reason why these bright heads leave and very few regret it.

There are loads of Nigerians who are doing well much themselves out there and rising up the social ladder quickly.

Again, you fall into the Nigerian fallacy of class

Thank you....you are so right. Happy now? I think I've responded enough on this matter. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by jedisco(m): 2:40am On Sep 17, 2022
sisisioge:

Thank you....you are so right. Happy now? I think I've responded enough on this matter. Cheers.

Typical... when confronted with facts... cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by Ekpekus(m): 4:41am On Sep 17, 2022
CountVersailles:

I was about pointing that but I say make I chill... how would you be earning 3600 monthly and be buying just 1 jacket for 400? Doesn't make financial sense, except the jacket is part of the work you do. There are cheaper alternatives which are good as well...
Financial education and discipline is a major determining factor that distinguish people irrespective of their location or career.

4 Likes

Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by CountVersailles(f): 5:41am On Sep 17, 2022
sisisioge:

You must really be living in la-la land thinking that everyone was "struggling" in Nigeria before they left for Canada. So, apparently, it looks like you had a relatively comfortable life in Nigeria, but decided to emigrate nonetheless. In fact, una try. I wish you goodluck, because people like you na nostalgia no go make you think of how to better your life in a new country. You better dump that nostalgia and move on to actually differentiate yourself in a new society that doesn't care if you were earning big back in your home country.

let me add just for the sake of clarity that I wasn't "struggling" one bit in Nigeria before I moved. I was earning a very comfortable six-figure per month. Not per year, aunty. Per month. And thankfully, I'm also not "struggling" now. Still managing to save way more than I was earning per month back in Nigeria. But nostalgia didn't get me there. Neither did continual labouring over the thought that I was "enjoying" back in Nigeria.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by sisisioge: 5:47am On Sep 17, 2022
CountVersailles:

You must really be living in la-la land thinking that everyone was "struggling" in Nigeria before they left for Canada. So, apparently, it looks like you had a relatively comfortable life in Nigeria, but decided to emigrate nonetheless. In fact, una try. I wish you goodluck, because people like you na nostalgia no go make you think of how to better your life in a new country. You better dump that nostalgia and move on to actually differentiate yourself in a new society that doesn't care if you were earning big back in your home country.

let me add just for the sake of clarity that I wasn't "struggling" one bit in Nigeria before I moved. I was earning a very comfortable six-figure per month. Not per year, aunty. Per month. And thankfully, I'm also not "struggling" now. Still managing to save way more than I was earning per month back in Nigeria. But nostalgia didn't get me there. Neither did continual labouring over the thought that I was "enjoying" back in Nigeria.

You are right....happy? I have had more than enough on this matter. Good evening.
Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by GMBOFASIA: 8:19am On Sep 17, 2022
Evidenx:

You drop yours,I will reach out.

I day wait your message
Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by emmaodet: 10:06am On Sep 17, 2022
Ekpekus:

E be like say today na your off day bros... giving the op reasons won't change his mind... better use the time to volunteer or sleep sef

Na wa oooooo

This japa of a thing has been generating so much heat and traffic of recent.

Threads that generate a lot of heat on nairaland -

Japa gangs vs stay in nigeria team.
Self-employed vs job seekers
Marriage supporters vs I no wan marry team

Abeg make Una add una own

1 Like

Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by Nobody: 10:09am On Sep 17, 2022
jedisco:

Aside accommodation, virtually every other expense of daily living is relatively cheaper in a western nation.

Talking about major cities and using UK as the example the person used it's certainly not equivalent to plateau vs lagos. In the UK, the difference between different areas are not as with Nigeria. Once again, this is something you'd fail to grasp if you've not lived there. If you're able to retain your income outside the big cities, then leaving the big cities is a very sensible thing to do.
You'd get better accommodation, better transport, safer environment, better schools, better environment for kids out of those big cities. There's a reason why many white folks leave/retire out of the big cities when they've made good money except they're in very prime locations. With covid, most who can now work partly from home have left the big cities to live a much better life in the surburbs.

Have you ever lived in plateau state, Ibadan, Benin City or any where else different from the major cities like Lagos, Abuja, Kano or PH in Nigeria? Those places are actually functional & great to live but more country side, also cheaper to live in (If not for terrorism or security issues in Nigeria now). When it comes to job opportunities, you get more better in Lagos but living outside Lagos is best for every thing regarding food, quality of life and lifestyle.

Currently I live in the UK, for long periods I have stayed both inside London & far outside London. The difference is very clear & cannot be compared to staying inside London itself, underground tube & train routes to almost every single place in London, overwhelming Job opportunities, fun activities, the business minded people you meet etc, CEOs and entrepreneurs from all over the world. Thank God I have lived there myself, If not I would have believed every tom dick & harry story on the Internet. Ofcourse developed countries all have infrastructure and basic amenities in every city, but you cannot compare it to London please.

I can guarantee you 110% that the major reason people move away from London or other top UK major cities is cost, every other thing is better in those major cities itself.

Aside accommodation, virtually every other expense of daily living is relatively cheaper in a western nation --- This statement is also FALSE. Electricity bills and all sort of Bills have doubled in the past 1 year. Clothing is expensive, Every form of Labour is expensive, Child Care is overly expensive, Surgeries are mad expensive. I can go On & On.

Food is cheap, at least I am sure of that one & kids between the ages of 5 and 16 are entitled to a free place at a state school.

There are good sides & bad sides to every thing, nobody can sugar coat anything for me. I live there man!

3 Likes

Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by emmaodet: 10:21am On Sep 17, 2022
VMuna:

Thanks a lot for your breakdown of monthly living expenses. It's shed light on what one should expect to a reasonable extent.

I've come to the conclusion that a majority of this resounding narrative on how the UK has suddenly become difficult to live in, is being pushed by those who didn't run a thorough investigation before embarking on their japa journey, while those who are doing quite well, do not bother to respond to those complaints.

A Band 5 NHS nurse can earn roughly £1,550 - £1,650 monthly after tax while working just 3 days a week. If she decides to take up agency roles on her free days, she can comfortably double that pay. Now factor in joint income from both spouses and you'll get a basic idea of how much they stand to earn.

I think it just boils down to running a proper investigation, asking the right questions from the right people, before making that japa decision.

The UK tends to favour certain professions, come rain or shine, so one has to think well, choose wisely, set financial targets and live within one's means.

My viewpoint may change as time progresses and I get older, but I think it's best to live in the UK to build life savings and eventually move to another country with a lower cost of living but still has access to good healthcare.

Thanks once again for your post.

Like someone said above. It is better to earn in pounds or dollars and stay in a low cost country.
Earning dollars and staying in nigeria won’t be a bad decision after all but to be honest, there are some basic amenities that are not in nigeria which we are not enjoying.
The government schools should have been standard and superb like too private schools likewise the hospitals.
I guess we don’t take these things serious but they are basic amenities necessary for the citizens.
Life is not all about money, sometimes a good environment is very important and such environment here are very very expensive for the common man.
The general hospital my mum died at was very very terrible. Hospital like hostel with each patient having beds close to each other. Fans not working, general toilet. Even going there alone, you will be infected with another disease entirely different from the one you brought. Must everyone use private hospital? Can even all the citizens afford private hospitals? The private hospital we even used before moving her to general is a topic for another day sef.
I don’t blame people going because many things are wrong here. We staying back have our personal reasons and the most important thing is that at the end of the day, whether abroad or nigeria, we all should be able to feed ourselves without disturbing the other person or be a burden to them. Sikena

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by emmaodet: 10:34am On Sep 17, 2022
Nigerians are very very wicked people and it is the reason the country is not and will not move forward.

Nigerians abroad are always laughing the Nigerians at home especially when they here devaluation and they make calculations on how much their monthly savings is in naira. They are happy, satisfied they made the right decision of jumping at the right time and not suffering like others at home.
Meanwhile, the ones at home are hoping the ones abroad fails and not have tangible savings so that when they eventually come home, they can subtly throw jabs at them that what have they achieved after so many years abroad.
Same thing also play out with the working and jobless.
The one working in chevron or Mobil will be balling, riding nice cars and rubbing it on the one struggling while the one struggling is waiting and hoping for the day the employed one will fall or get sacked and have a feeling of what it is to be down. Yet this is a country with so many churches and mosques and a strong religious background.
Tufiakwaaaa

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by jesmond3945: 11:41am On Sep 17, 2022
emmaodet:
Nigerians are very very wicked people and it is the reason the country is not and will not move forward.

Nigerians abroad are always laughing the Nigerians at home especially when they here devaluation and they make calculations on how much their monthly savings is in naira. They are happy, satisfied they made the right decision of jumping at the right time and not suffering like others at home.
Meanwhile, the ones at home are hoping the ones abroad fails and not have tangible savings so that when they eventually come home, they can subtly throw jabs at them that what have they achieved after so many years abroad.
Same thing also play out with the working and jobless.
The one working in chevron or Mobil will be balling, riding nice cars and rubbing it on the one struggling while the one struggling is waiting and hoping for the day the employed one will fall or get sacked and have a feeling of what it is to be down. Yet this is a country with so many churches and mosques and a strong religious background.
Tufiakwaaaa
is called misery loves company

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by emmaodet: 11:43am On Sep 17, 2022
truthsayer009:

Have you ever lived in plateau state, Ibadan, Benin City or any where else different from the major cities like Lagos, Abuja, Kano or PH in Nigeria? Those places are actually functional & great to live but more country side, also cheaper to live in (If not for terrorism or security issues in Nigeria now). When it comes to job opportunities, you get more better in Lagos but living outside Lagos is best for every thing regarding food, quality of life and lifestyle.

Currently I live in the UK, for long periods I have stayed both inside London & far outside London. The difference is very clear & cannot be compared to staying inside London itself, underground tube & train routes to almost every single place in London, overwhelming Job opportunities, fun activities, the business minded people you meet etc, CEOs and entrepreneurs from all over the world. Thank God I have lived there myself, If not I would have believed every tom dick & harry story on the Internet. Ofcourse developed countries all have infrastructure and basic amenities in every city, but you cannot compare it to London please.

I can guarantee you 110% that the major reason people move away from London or other top UK major cities is cost, every other thing is better in those major cities itself.

Aside accommodation, virtually every other expense of daily living is relatively cheaper in a western nation --- This statement is also FALSE. Electricity bills and all sort of Bills have doubled in the past 1 year. Clothing is expensive, Every form of Labour is expensive, Child Care is overly expensive, Surgeries are mad expensive. I can go On & On.

Food is cheap, at least I am sure of that one & kids between the ages of 5 and 16 are entitled to a free place at a state school.

There are good sides & bad sides to every thing, nobody can sugar coat anything for me. I live there man!

I also believe the more you move out from London, the leser your income will be thereby evening out what you are running aay from.

If you want to avoid paying 500k and above house rent in Lagos because it is expensive, Yes you will get a nice decent 200k apartment in abeokuta but it will be very very hard fro you to get 250k and above job in abeokuta.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by Regex: 1:00pm On Sep 17, 2022
emmaodet:

I also believe the more you move out from London, the leser your income will be thereby evening out what you are running aay from.

If you want to avoid paying 500k and above house rent in Lagos because it is expensive, Yes you will get a nice decent 200k apartment in abeokuta but it will be very very hard fro you to get 250k and above job in abeokuta.

Your first paragraph is relatively not true. I have lived in Newcastle, Sunderland, London and now Living in one of the cities of the Essex County. Minimum wage is the same everywhere. Cities cheaper than London pay more than London because there are scarce workforce. The only difference is London roads are well articulated and transport systems well connected in London. In London there is relatively no difference in transportation during Bank holiday and normal days. The difference is so negligible. But outside London, you could tell.

The op you quoted is very much right in what he's said. In fact he has spoken out experience and not hearsay.

The reason I mentioned where I have lived in the UK is because I was paid the less in London and paid more in Newcastle upon Tyne. The type of job I did in both cities and how they're valued by them may have an effect on it nonetheless.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by emmaodet: 1:16pm On Sep 17, 2022
Regex:

Your first paragraph is relatively not true. I have lived in Newcastle, Sunderland, London and now Living in one of the cities of the Essex County. Minimum wage is the same everywhere. Cities cheaper than London pay more than London because there are scarce workforce. The only difference is London roads are well articulated and transport systems well connected in London. In London there is relatively no difference in transportation during Bank holiday and normal days. The difference is so negligible. But outside London, you could tell.

The op you quoted is very much right in what he's said. In fact he has spoken out experience and not hearsay.

The reason I mentioned where I have lived in the UK is because I was paid the less in London and paid more in Newcastle upon Tyne. The type of job I did in both cities and how they're valued by them may have an effect on it nonetheless.
En en.

Well, what can i say.
Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by Regex: 1:22pm On Sep 17, 2022
Munamoqel:
Nigerians that sold everything and resign from their Good jobs to relocate to paradise Uk ,New Zealand ,Canada are learning the Hard way ! There are no perfect place .UK has excellent NHS but accessing it is now a nighmare .you can wait Months trying to see a dentist or a GP . And a simple thing like root canal surgery done within a day in Nigeria at 50k cost almost 1500 pounds in the Uk . There is housing shortage and getting house to rent is now a Nightmare with you money some.are paying 600 euro in Dublin to share room not house with unknown propel ! Gas and electricity cost around 4000 pounds per year and you literally live paycheck to paycheck if not careful and there are no shortcut pay for heating or die in the winter ! Houses in New Zealand cost 400k pounds are nonsense 2 bedroom.with no garages and garden while this sum can land you a deplux in banana island , Asokoro with pool and garden .in the uk there are there are few investment opportunities unlike Nigeria where you can easy setup.we pray for.better Nigeria that truly ours !

Sorry oh. I want to ask, are you living in the UK in London Central particularly? Because e get money you mentioned for gas and electricity per year, and na for central London, Chelsea, Kensington, Kingston upon Thames, Hammersmith & Fulham and Chiswick deh pay that kind money for gas and electricity.
Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by Regex: 1:25pm On Sep 17, 2022
Munamoqel:
very true ! Most of the people flashing buggati veron are G boys abroad cos 99 percent of the citizens of this nation cannot afford it ! They are pro and cons of JAPA but Nigerians and bandwagon effect will not analyse thing properly and just join ! A LADY closed down her business that gives her net income of 2m monthly to move on a study visa now 3 month yet to get any job and been abused on the only care job she got !. The are good side and bad like the child care cost which is horrible in najia we used the extended family support ! Old people home , long wait time to.see a GP . housing crisis in Dublin you will pay 600 euro to be sharing room with strangers !

Look on the bright mister. It's a learning experience.
Re: Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals by jedisco(m): 2:50pm On Sep 17, 2022
truthsayer009:

I have lived in different parts of Nigeria including ABJ and different parts of UK including London. The post I quoted was berating the chap who said he moved to Newcastle from London. In UK, the smaller cities can many times be more liveable than London. In Nigeria, I'd get better roads, healthcare, security, education e.t.c in Abj than Plateau. It's mostly the opposite in the UK. One can comfortably send kids to state schools in many parts of SE & SW England as their schools of much better quality than London also with less knife crimes/drugs. Security, traffic e.t.c are better in smaller towns. The main advantage London offers for all is diversity.

Talking about pay, not many occupations would earn higher staying in London. If you do a job whose pay is similar nationwide, many times, you're better off moving out. In many parts of Southern England, they're no scarcity of folks who sold their properties in London to move south- many times to retire. There's a reason why house prices in parts of the SW shot up 20% in a single year over the pandemic.

After a stint in different parts of UK, I now live in a small southern town with a budding Nigerian community. All Nigerians I've met there have legitimate papers and many are rising up the economic ladder quickly. Most have good mortgages and a few are onto their second house (while the first is rented out) all within 5 yrs of coming over. Kids growing up have strong Nigerians in their community to look upto. Also roads in London are not better than where I live. I don't juggle with excess traffic when I drive to work.

Talking about cost of living, take a step back and understand how developed nations are structured. The UK needs citizens to work and pay taxes so you don't have to rely on the government to survive. In Nigeria, you need to work to survive. That means the UK is structured in a way that for virtually most jobs, if you plan well, you'd lead a reasonable life.

I used the word relatively cheap i.e affordable. When compared to the general income of others, I was in a higher earning bracket in Nigeria than the UK. Yet my pay for one day here will cover my feeding for a month with change. I wear branded items and I do not even consider what I spend on clothing as significant expenditure. My shoes last longer than I want them to and their cost price is hardly ever more than my pay for 1-2hrs (that is even when I don't target sales). I cannot say these for when I lived in Nigeria. If clothing was so cheap in Nigeria, why then are we importing old clothes from other nations?

When you understand affordability, you'd see that basic necessities of living (food, shelter, health, security) are significantly more expensive in Africa than the West. The major things more expensive there are accommodation (debatable) and labour (for good reason)

9 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Policeman Renders Help To Stranded Travelers On Their Way To Abuja (photos) / LASG To Close Pen Cinema Axis For Construction Work / Nigerian Passengers Pay Higher To African Countries Than Within Europe, UAE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.