Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,224 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:58 AM

Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong (24057 Views)

Court Order: It is Unconstitutional for EFCC to Arrest Yahaya Bello - Lawyer / Kenneth Okonkwo: What APC Did Is Unconstitutional, Supports Peter Obi / Amotekun Is Unconstitutional - Maigari Dingyadi, Police Affairs Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by kenniegeezu(m): 5:55pm On Sep 16, 2022
I think it was a bad move from the Lagos state govt. Everyone knows how things are so hard in this country, yet people are struggling to make ends meet. Then LASG are auctioning peoples property without remorse.
Why not make them pay heavy fines as punishment instead of selling their vehicles.
Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by iolalekan30: 6:00pm On Sep 16, 2022
Am coming let me check ✔️
Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by simplesearch: 6:01pm On Sep 16, 2022
Lagos govt. might be caught in the cross fire eventually, on this particular issue. It's not about the offense but the procedure and principle to arrive at such conclusion. Since we are not in a banana Republic, it is left for things to be done the right way and must be seen to have been so done to gain public confidence. Otherwise one day the government might just wake up and reclaim your landed property for not paying land use charge, or take over your company for tax evasion. It will turn out a case of using illegality to cure illegality. In other words, Government or not; everyone deserves justice and reserve a right to fair hearing at all times.

1 Like

Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by Pacesetter123(m): 6:03pm On Sep 16, 2022
wolebest:

Who is this MUMU lawyer?

In Lagos State when you drive against the traffic you risk the impounding of your vehicle and mental evaluation of the driver at Federal Neuro Psychiatric Hospital at Yaba and Aro. That's what the law says.

Driving against the traffic is against the Laws of Lagos State and not a constitutional matter nor a Fundamental Human Rights matter.

Not a constitutional matter you said?
Are you aware that any law that is not consistent with the constitution of Nigeria is null and void to the extent of that inconsistency?
Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by dyera(m): 6:06pm On Sep 16, 2022
kushma:
The measures taken by Lagos state is very harsh there are other means of punishing defaulters than auctioning their cars off, many those are their means of living. Why don’t they fine them etc. if I see someone buying my car under auction, both me and buyer won’t enjoy the car…….

It is only heartless people that will not consider the fact that there are other means of punishing defaulters other than auctioning their cars of. 100k fine is severe punishment enough for these poor folks.

2 Likes

Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by Pimine: 6:06pm On Sep 16, 2022
Eriggs:
Nigerians should learn how to obey the traffic laws and see how the country progress and love forward to the western countries we are all crying to be like.
Shikena!
You again. I told you the other time that it was wrong and harsh, didn't I?

Government na thief thief.
Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by oneMalik: 6:06pm On Sep 16, 2022
wetin this one dey talk ?

you be lawyer na and you know law , help those you're fighting for fight the govt na or come Lagos come drive against traffic make we know your weight

jonsin man !

1 Like

Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by tabaski: 6:09pm On Sep 16, 2022
Honourable1901:
We have heard you , drive against traffic first you will know khaki no be leather

That carburator in your brain that is not serving enough fuel will not tell you
. This your comment enh grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by PJ123: 6:10pm On Sep 16, 2022
Anigreat:
shocked

Thank you Ini.

when I said this earlier, some good for nothing Idiotic myopic individuals here were attacking me, saying it's because of my hatred for Tinubu hence I am saying rubbish bla bla bla...like WTF? hatred for who? who's Tinubu I should hate? A man who has virtually all his things through crook means is who I am hating? a void and inconsequential human is who I am hating? I cannot belittle myself that much, because hating on Tinubu is belittling myself and doing him a great service.

https://punchng.com/relatives-of-one-way-drivers-victims-justify-vehicle-auction/
You can read that before your hatred for Tinubu killed you
Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by azikiweironsi(m): 6:12pm On Sep 16, 2022
ovie8200:
Everyone want to be expert on what is constituctional or not. This is why Nigeria is not working because nobody want to follow the rules. If this people follow the rules, am sure their car will not be taking away. Nigeria is one country in the world where the citizens do what they feel like regardless of the rules set, not obey traffic rules, traffic light, stop signs, driving against traffic and all manner of offences whether they kill people or not....all they care about is for themselves.

Exactly that's the problem of most Nigerian.
Let me give you a scenario that happened in Ibadan. Some few young fellows were driving against the traffic simply because there was a traffic jam in the other lane. Unfortunately for them, they faced a police officer in mufty and happened to be the State PPRO. Typical of our behaviour, they refused to allow the officer to move, argument ensued they off their car's engine, came down from the car and locked it up and told the officer to sleep there and wanted to walk away. The officer just called his station for backup and got them arrested and eventually charged them to court. Only to be begging the officer later having discovered that it was a police officer in mufty and a State PPRO. Typical of Nigerian the officer was still abused on social media saying was it because he was a police officer. We blame everybody including the government but left ourselves alone to be blamed. Everybody want to Japa to a sane country and where the systems work, but never like to behave or follow the rules of the land. The country they claimed to be sane, are they driving against the traffic ? Are they not penalised even to be banned for life from driving again ?
We are the enemy of ourselves.

2 Likes

Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by Moshphil: 6:13pm On Sep 16, 2022
Anigreat:
shocked

Thank you Ini.

when I said this earlier, some good for nothing Idiotic myopic individuals here were attacking me, saying it's because of my hatred for Tinubu hence I am saying rubbish bla bla bla...like WTF? hatred for who? who's Tinubu I should hate? A man who has virtually all his things through crook means is who I am hating? a void and inconsequential human is who I am hating? I cannot belittle myself that much, because hating on Tinubu is belittling myself and doing him a great service.

I pray you don't die if hypertension
God is not from your family oga
Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by Nobody: 6:13pm On Sep 16, 2022
Nice
Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by Safyqueen: 6:15pm On Sep 16, 2022
This kind of government punitive measures is what give rise to problem of bandits Nigeria is experiencing in the north.

The government will just cheat on you and the only way to react is no way but terrorism. Same to Fulanis.
May GOD ALMIGHTY helps Nigeria.
Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by henryobinna(m): 6:26pm On Sep 16, 2022
Ayo25:
Mumu be pretending to be strong. Your depression will definitely kill you. I dont care
if you dont stay alive. If you die it will be one less criminal in the world
You keep proving my point. You are an uneducated dolt.
Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by henryobinna(m): 6:29pm On Sep 16, 2022
Ayo25:
I am quoting it again so you say it pains me so much. Look the bastard that you are, tomorrow you and your relatives put your vehicles on Lagos road and ply one way. Your punishment would be unprecedented and not one million Inibehes put together would be able to save you.

Dindinrin omo ale jatijati
Clown, I know you're still feeling the pain. Sorry oh.

If not that you are an uneducated dolt, you would have known Nigeria doesn't start and end in Lagos, not everybody you meet on the internet lives in Lagos. But because of how little the content you have in your head is, you think everyone lives in your Lagos and all other nonsense that runs through your mind.

After education, you need help.
Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by wallarwallar(m): 6:32pm On Sep 16, 2022
Anigreat:
shocked

Thank you Ini.

The want better Nigeria but they do not want to obey simple law.. Every driver that take one way do it consciously and not by mistake . God punish ur mouth for mentioning tinubu l don't think dis country can witness any great change with dis mind set .

1 Like

Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by Ayo25: 6:33pm On Sep 16, 2022
Oga you are a simpleton and lack comprehension skills. I dont care where you live. You can be living inside a hole somewhere in Sambisa as far as i care. I am merely challenging you and your cursed generation to bring your vehicle and ply one way on Lagos road. You can prove to me you are not a bastard
henryobinna:

If not that you are an uneducated dolt, you would have known Nigeria doesn't start and end in Lagos, not everybody you meet on the internet lives in Lagos. But because of how little the content you have in your head is, you think everyone lives in your Lagos and all other nonsense that runs through your mind.

Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by Patriotsleague: 6:34pm On Sep 16, 2022
Mumu don start, you want to tell a state what's void, when they have their own laws, Lagos state as a government has its own laws, and road use laws. You are not a Lagosian, not a member of Lagos state government, and you always like to act like a thug rather than a lawyer, that was why that judge threw you in jail, for your stupidity. Very overzealous stupid lawyer, you are just a lawyer. A state has its own laws.
Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by wirinet(m): 6:40pm On Sep 16, 2022
thesicilian:
The law is like religion: different people will always interprete it the way that best suits their own narrative.

The impounding and auctioning of peoples properties without following due process of the law is unconstitutional. If there is any law to that effect by the Lagos State Assembly, that law is unconstitutional.

First of all, Traffic offences are civil offences unless where cases that resulted in death or injury. Then we can start talking of manslaughter or injury.

Secondly, in most cases the person that violate the traffic law is not the owner of the car. It might be a driver, a borrowed car or even a stolen car. Which law permits the punishing a person for offenses commited by another person? What will be the punishment for the driver of a car not belonging to him or her?

Thirdly, the Lagos state government is adept at taking law into its own hands. They believe they are the accuser, judge and executioner for all alleged offenses. They can impound your car for the flimsiest reasons, they can seal your house or shop with little notice all without passing through the courts.

They take the advantage of the costly, slow and tedious judicial process to exploit and blackmail citizens, as they know most people can't sue them to court for all their excesses.

3 Likes

Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by goldust777: 6:40pm On Sep 16, 2022
tnerro1:
The truth is that Nigerians need iron hand or they will think you are weak. And when Nigerians think you are weak, you done enter wahala be that, ask Goodluck Jonathan.
The truth is that you talk with animal sense like fella sang in those days Nigerians are humanbeings but you're not because na animal sense you get it's you that needs iron hands.
Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by wallarwallar(m): 6:41pm On Sep 16, 2022
henryobinna:

If u don't reside in lagos then what is your business with lagos issue idiot..
Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by ufotunang: 6:44pm On Sep 16, 2022
Do not mind them... and they will say that is the Lagos tinubu developed and bettered the life of Lagosians...but adding more hardship to the life's of Lagosians... Lagosians and nigerians be wise
Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by Morphinne: 6:47pm On Sep 16, 2022
Nyamiri:
Safety of lives is paramount.
For other traffic offences, fines and warnings are okay.

But you see that one way ehn. Imagine people passing one way on 3rd Mainland and Berger expressway.
You pass one way, you should be shot dead and both your corpse and your vehicle confiscated.
Drivers passing one way are attempting to kill people. Make them cry before they make families of others cry.

You’re also right. I was not fully in support of this auctioning at first but that stance changed when I started seeing people narrating their ordeals just because some mobile fools decided to be unfortunate. Why should anyone suffer as a result of someone else’s stupidity and negligence?
Oga barrister should go and tell this to the faces of people who have had their loved ones either killed or perpetually restricted to wheelchairs without any hope of ever living a normal life again. But I still believe a heavy fine should be the best way to go. Encouraging people to buy auctioned items is nothing but promoting the habit of stealing and I see no reason why that should be legal in the first place. Also, this defaulters should be tried in courts with pictorial and video evidence.
Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by tete7000(m): 6:51pm On Sep 16, 2022
What is even the correlation between sanction and punishment? No justice when punishment outweighs the offence. Can we cut head off because someone stole N20? These inpugnities are Fashola's legacy, and the man is a lawyer ó.

1 Like

Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by casppyjay: 7:05pm On Sep 16, 2022
BATified2023:
so a sitting governor n a presidential aspirant is famous for a good reason according to a dingbat like u

Where your father will b bounced out n humiliated like a common thief is where this man is being honored

U are haters whose father wish to b like tinubu,if u say all these thrash in front of your father he will knock u hard

Tinubu is the kind of man that your father wanna be
lol u are so deranged, mentally disadvantaged that even seyi tinubu doesn’t want to be like his dad.. I pity d poverty dat is worrying u .. i can’t condescend to ur level because it’s obvious u worship money and not the things that dignifies us .. I know ur type that’s why u think by doing all diz things u are registering for poverty alleviation program..

I don’t wish to av people like u around me or my kids .. u av no values and self esteem I asked u if ur father was qualified or human enough to govern and ur response was only ramblings, ranting and insults same like ur principal no coercion just threats, bragging and I get money slangs.. shame on u !

U even said he’s a sitting governor.. well u av attested to the fact on d street he’s governing lagos via proxy .. it’s ur word not mine..

By d way try to be cohesive in writing I had to deploy my psychological training to comprehend ur write up..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by henryobinna(m): 7:14pm On Sep 16, 2022
wallarwallar:

If u don't reside in lagos then what is your business with lagos issue idiot..
You're a very big fool. One with no lineage.

Go back to my very first post on thos thread, I never said anything regarding your laws as it's clearly none of my business. But when another idiot with same limited education as yourself calls Effiong an ex-convict I corrected him just as I'm correcting you right now. It's apparent you both were exposed to very limited education and that's why I keep seeing your outbursts on the forum.
Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by tnerro1(m): 7:15pm On Sep 16, 2022
goldust777:

The truth is that you talk with animal sense like fella sang in those days Nigerians are humanbeings but you're not because na animal sense you get it's you that needs iron hands.

E pain you grin
Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by henryobinna(m): 7:16pm On Sep 16, 2022
Ayo25:
Oga you are a simpleton and lack comprehension skills. I dont care where you live. You can be living inside a hole somewhere in Sambisa as far as i care. I am merely challenging you and your cursed generation to bring your vehicle and ply one way on Lagos road. You can prove to me you are not a bastard
Have a nice evening clown. You to rest from your clownery today. Your daily target has been met.
Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by DOM7: 7:18pm On Sep 16, 2022
Auctioning the cars is wickedness what about fine?
Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by kingmsookwagh(m): 7:25pm On Sep 16, 2022
Did the members in the house of assembly sought the opinions of their constituents before passing that heart breaking bill into law?

These people just sit down in a beer parlour and dictate how things will be done without our consent.

Chai! We are finished in this CORNTREE...

1 Like

Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by akin9ja78(m): 7:50pm On Sep 16, 2022
Petty governance, thief dey government eye
Re: Vehicle Confiscation By Lagos State Is Unconstitutional & Void - Inibehe Effiong by Lekan239(m): 7:53pm On Sep 16, 2022
Anigreat:
shocked

Thank you Ini.

lol. If lagos state govt commission a project today, you will argue that it is sanwo olu that commission not tinubu. now that lagos state governments is confiscating cars it's tinubu. Sorry to say you are just very daft. For this reason I won't ever take anything you say serious

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Are You Batified? Orji Uzor Kalu Asks Tinubu And Femi Gbajabiamila / I Will Be President Of Nigeria – Dino Melaye Declares / Dolapo Osinbajo Celebrates Yemi Osinbajo's 60th Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.