Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,856 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:22 PM

The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? (25327 Views)

Nigeria's Most Feared Masquerades, Names And Photos / How Can You Marry Someone From An Ethnic Group You Claim To Hate? / Most Populous Language In Nigeria apart from pigin and english (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by aljharem3: 12:28am On Aug 14, 2011
and as such nupe people were never counted as yorubas

kanuri berom,and southern kaduna people were nver counted as hausa/fulani
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by AndreUweh(m): 12:37am On Aug 14, 2011
Once again, land mass is not a determinant in head count, why is this a problem for you. Agreed, Igbo land is small but you will not travel half a kilometre without finding people. I gave you an example of Mbaise in Imo state. The original natives of Lagos is no where near in size to Mbaise population.
FYI, if an ethnic census is conducted in Lagos state, the 4 million out of 12 million people in Lagos will not be counted as Yoruba but Igbo. In Oyo state, 1 million Ndigbo out of 5 million people in Oyo state will be counted as Ndigbo.

In Kwara state, the northern part is not Yoruba, the middle part is a misture of groups while the south is Yoruba. Even at that, the Igbo population in Rivers state is bigger than the entire Kwara state population.
in KOGI state, the Yoruba population is nothing compared to 1.5 million Igbo people in Delta state.
The Olukumi in Delta state who are less than 1,000 can not be compared to Okpoku LGA of Benue state who are Igbo speaking and number about 100 thousand.
In total, Igboland is half of Yorubaland in land mass while Yoruba population is just about half of Igbo population.

1 Like

Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by tpia5: 1:13am On Aug 14, 2011
Funny thread.
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by Abagworo(m): 8:05am On Aug 14, 2011
The only undeniable fact is that Southeastern Nigeria is the most densely populated place in Africa.As for the population itself we cannot tell based on speculation.The population of Nigeria is generally inflated and the census unreliable but what is obvious is that Igbos are always the second largest in every city after the indigenes

Based on my own speculation,it is Hausa-Yoruba-Igbo but I might as well be wrong,
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by odumchi: 10:34am On Aug 14, 2011
@ Alj

You have a point but you don't understand. Igboland is the smallest of the big three lands but it has the highest population density in Nigeria. Hausaland is not used for farming. The arras around Sokoto, Katsina are near barren or shrubland. The people partake in nomadic herding And few farm. Whereas Igboland is fertile and arable and can hold a large population for it's size. As for land area that doesn't matter. Russia is the biggest nation on earth but it only has 141 million people compared to Pakistan which is less than 1/10th it's size but has 160 million people. In 2006, Igboland was estimated to have a population in excess of 30 million, excluding Igbos outside of Igboland. The average density is 1000 people per square mile. Igboland is only second in density in Africa to the Nile valley. A place a little larger than Igboland but with 80 million people.

I personally view the figure Igbo first and then Hausa and Yoruba. Igbos are everywhere and sometimes their population in cities often challenges the indigenous population (Lagos). There are so many Igbos that in every major city in Nigeria, someone must have heard or seen an Igbo person.

As for those groups who you say do not accept being Igbo, that's a mindset that only exists online. Ive met many Ikwerre people who are proud Igbos and see themselves as an Ikwerre subgroup just like there is a Ngwa subgroup. Same goes with the Anioma (good land) subgroup.
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by aljharem3: 11:13am On Aug 14, 2011
hmm andre na wa for u o. I DON'T DISCUSS WITHOUT FACTS AND i CERTAINLY KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT IN THIS CASE

Andre Uweh:

Once again, land mass is not a determinant in head count, why is this a problem for you. Agreed, Igbo land is small but you will not travel half a kilometre without finding people. I gave you an example of Mbaise in Imo state.

Lol so every single square inch in igbo land is occupied by a family. Ok what about the erosion lands and the forest. are they also occupied by Families. Or are farmlands too occupied by families too. LOL when you are serious you can discuss.

again mbaise

115360 + 96170 +92462 = 303,992 people according to mbaise people website

http://mbaiseinireland.org/?p=229

now indigenes of lagos are aworis, egbas, egun, ijebu

lagos indigenes = no really sub-ethnic census for yoruba subgroups as they do not count in subgroups but as yorubas

But now i have a rough estimate and it is save to use this estimate

Now this is the population of lagos in 1991 8.5 million. Back then there were little or no igbo population then right!

according to this site

Now i would estimate the populstion of indigenes of lagos to 20% back then although we know it is a lot more than that. even now it is estimated to 40-47%. but then again we are not sure but other yorubas for other state go back to there state of origin.

Now 20% of 8.5 million is about 1.7 million. that is above mbaise population 5 folds

http://www.fhi.org/NR/rdonlyres/edamzquh5f6vwhyytihhmkszht3socidgdcvyuqkiawfuainggz6v6x2p6grmk42eb4rn7z4l46aqn/LagosRapidAssessmentNigeria1enhv.pdf

also this is awori website that says they can be found everywhere LG in the state. not sure how  true that is

http://awori.org/TheAworis.aspx

Now also, this is a report by the humanitarian report that says awori are 30% of lagos, egba are 10%

that alone speaks volume

http://sites.tufts.edu/jha/archives/541

but I had to underestimate it again for u

Andre Uweh:

FYI, if an ethnic census is conducted in Lagos state, the 4 million out of 12 million people in Lagos will not be counted as Yoruba but Igbo. In Oyo state, 1 million Ndigbo out of 5 million people in Oyo state will be counted as Ndigbo.

that again i am not sure of, if igbos are 4 million, then how many aworis do we have in lagos, how many hausa, tapa, egun, egba, ijebu and foreigners

Again i am not sure although ohaneze kept quote 43-60% of the population of lagos to be igbos. I don't know were they got those figures from

but this is what i got from lagos although u know different local government have different population of igbo and hausa and yoruba and varies with there concentration

The three cities where the questionnaires were administered represented different types of urbanism. Ajegunle is a suburb of Lagos near the industrial estate and port of Apapa including the adjacent areas of Olodi and Amukoko. Ajegunle is the headquarters of Ajeromi-Ifelodun Local Government, a local government with population of 1,435,295 (2006 population census) and Ajegunle is the most densely populated of this local government with a population of about 500,000. Three major tribes of Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo can be found at Ajegunle in the proportions of 40 percent, 35 percent and 25 percent respectively.

Agege is located in Agege Local Government area and serves as the headquarters of Agege Local Government. By the 2006 population census, Agege Local Government has a population of 1,033,064 and as the headquarters of the Local Council, Agege has the largest population of about 400,000. The Hausa in Agege migrated from the north of the country and their proportion stands at 40 percent. Other tribes found in Agege include Awori who are the real indigene of the city but they have been outnumbered by the Hausa. The proportion of the Awori is about 30 percent. The Egba migrated from Abeokuta and are 10 percent while Igbo represent 20 percent Mushin was the third city selected. As a local government headquarters, it is the most densely populated area. Thus while the whole Mushin Local Government is having a population of 1,321,517 (2006 population census), Mushin is having about 500,000. The predominant people there are the Hausa of about 49 percent. The Yoruba is about 30 percent. Ibo represent 10 percent while others represent 11 percent.

http://sites.tufts.edu/jha/archives/541

so i can estimate igbo population to be about 20%-30% because we have more notherners in lagos than igbo. whether u chose to believe it or not is not material.

here is another one i found saying Egun people are 15 % of the state and awori 70%
http://www.cefolassaocoed.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=60&Itemid=68&limitstart=4

remember as i said earlier we still have ijebu, egba tapa etc as indigenes of the state also ilaje

so believeing an igbo social cultural group over all this links is silly as they only push for there own agenda

here is another one saying yorubas are 70% of lagos http://www.city-data.com/world-cities/Lagos.html

a link saying other yoruba ethnic group apart from the indigenes are 35%

http://rpg.wikia.com/wiki/Yoruba_(ethnic_group)  thus indigenes yorubas can be said to be 35-40%

i can go on and on

about OYO

Andre that is a big lie

whay is the population of oyo 5,591,589----- 5.5 million people and so u mean to tell me that igbos are 1 million grin grin

Ok this is from OYO website "The people of Oyo State are Yoruba with a common ancestor in Oduduwa"

thus the population of igbos there are insignificant because on like lagos there is no regonition. although I could not find a concrete link to this. Not withstanding I have lived in oyo aswell and i know how the state is like, If the population of igbos are up to 2000 i would be surprised.

Andre Uweh:

In Kwara state, the northern part is not Yoruba, the middle part is a misture of groups while the south is Yoruba. Even at that, the Igbo population in Rivers state is bigger than the entire Kwara state population.
in KOGI state, the Yoruba population is nothing compared to 1.5 million Igbo people in Delta state.

Again anyone that says kwara and kogi is not a northern state should be slapped grin also anyone that says cross river is not a south-south state should be slapped

Kwara is a northern state and infact i think the governor is half yoruba half fulani

But majority of kwara is yoruba speaking and identify with yoruba.

here is a link to kwara state official website written by fulanis

The principal groups residing in Kwara State are the Yoruba, Nupe, Bariba and Fulani. The skilled craftsmanship of the people of this central region has been evident for centuries. The, largest and most important pottery workshops in Nigeria can be found in the capital city of Ilorin. Proponents of the craft of traditional textile weaving are also very prominent: the Aso Oke style of hand-loomed cloth-making is world renowned.

http://www.kwarastate.gov.ng/about-kwara-state.html

languages spoken in kwara

http://www.uiowa.edu/intlinet/unijos/nigonnet/nlp/kwara.htm

http://againstbabangida.com/Newsroom-at-AgainstBabangida.com/ibb-forbidden-to-campaign-among-yorubas.html

Now i think this should kill you kwara argument as this House of reps website speak

Kwara State is one of the 36 states of Nigeria. Its capital is Ilorin and its governor is Bukola Saraki. The primary ethnic group of Kwara State is Yoruba, with significant Nupe, Bariba and Fulani minorities

http://www.speakersoffice.gov.ng/constituencies_kwara.htm

this is also  kwara radio official radio station that speaks yoruba predominatly

http://www.radiokwara.com/programmes/programmes_tuesday.htm

same with lagos state official radio station that speaks yoruba (radio lagos) that is if u have lived in lagos

i can go on and on

again all this delta igbo , rivers igbos are not more than this people because majority are migrates when compare to indigenous people.

I have not really figures to name the amount of yorubas in kwara and kogi because as i said hausa/fulani\yorubas don't count individual clans but are counted as hausa/fulani and yoruba alone not as awori, fulani alone

I am sorry i hav no really figure to compare

Andre Uweh:

The Olukumi in Delta state who are less than 1,000 can not be compared to Okpoku LGA of Benue state who are Igbo speaking and number about 100 thousand.
In total, Igboland is half of Yorubaland in land mass while Yoruba population is just about half of Igbo population.

Lol i don't think the so called igbo speaking people in benue would subscribe to u calling them igbo as u do not understand there language. same can not be said of the yorubas would understand igala, itsekiri, ebari and yet gave them the freedom to call themselves as indvidual  ethnic groups

calling benue,ika, ikwerri etc igbos just to inflate ur numbers would not still help the % of igbos significantly. MOREOVER THIS IS THE SAME THING U ACCUSE THE HAUSA/FULANI ARE DOING. which they are not

Even if i agree they are igbos indigenes in edo, rivers, akwa ibom, baylsea, benue, kogi etc as u people claim, is it going to increase you people clami population significantly.  undecided Don't think so but Again this is just a suggestion. No one knows

lastly, this is my taking of this 2011, this is a very vage guess and very inaccurate

hausa/fulani- 30%

yoruba - 23%

igbo- 20%

kanuri- 5%

ijaw- 3%

edo- 3%

ibibio- 4%

igala- 1%

nupe- 2%

etc not sure but this is just a suggestion

again I igbo population might be large as the population density is not well documented, who know undecided

andre, don't take it personal, All i did is suggest and use all the info i have to make a prediction

1 Like

Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by aljharem3: 11:27am On Aug 14, 2011
odumchi:

@ Alj

You have a point but you don't understand. Igboland is the smallest of the big three lands but it has the highest population density in Nigeria. Hausaland is not used for farming. The arras around Sokoto, Katsina are near barren or shrubland. The people partake in nomadic herding And few farm. Whereas Igboland is fertile and arable and can hold a large population for it's size. As for land area that doesn't matter. Russia is the biggest nation on earth but it only has 141 million people compared to Pakistan which is less than 1/10th it's size but has 160 million people. In 2006, Igboland was estimated to have a population in excess of 30 million, excluding Igbos outside of Igboland. The average density is 1000 people per square mile. Igboland is only second in density in Africa to the Nile valley. A place a little larger than Igboland but with 80 million people.

I personally view the figure Igbo first and then Hausa and Yoruba. Igbos are everywhere and sometimes their population in cities often challenges the indigenous population (Lagos). There are so many Igbos that in every major city in Nigeria, someone must have heard or seen an Igbo person.

As for those groups who you say do not accept being Igbo, that's a mindset that only exists online. Ive met many Ikwerre people who are proud Igbos and see themselves as an Ikwerre subgroup just like there is a Ngwa subgroup. Same goes with the Anioma (good land) subgroup.

you are right, all of this is just speculations undecided

again as i said earilier yorba population in the north is defnatly more than igbos

hausa/fulani in the SW majority in lagos is more than igbos this i am sure of as well
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by shehuahmed: 11:59am On Aug 14, 2011
it is little confusing cos any part of the country you go, you most see this 3 popular langueges. There are alot of peaple who say that "any village you go and did not see an igbo man, just run away" It is posible they go because of their business cos they actually care for money.it is little confusing cos any part of the country you go, you most see this 3 popular langueges. There are alot of peaple who say that "any village you go and did not see an igbo man, just run away" It is posible they go because of their business cos they actually care for money.
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by aljharem3: 12:09pm On Aug 14, 2011
shehuahmed:

it is little confusing cos any part of the country you go, you most see this 3 popular langueges. There are alot of peaple who say that "any village you go and did not see an igbo man, just run away" It is posible they go because of their business cos they actually care for money.it is little confusing cos any part of the country you go, you most see this 3 popular langueges. There are alot of peaple who say that "any village you go and did not see an igbo man, just run away" It is posible they go because of their business cos they actually care for money.

it is funny that the largest igbo population settlement is in lagos of about X amount of millions and I can beat my chest that places like inner epe, inner badadry, have very little population of igbos or No igbos at al l

if igbos are about 4 million of a possible 18 million in lagos and Anambra is 4.2 million then the largest igbo settlement is in lagos.

thus there population is not that much given that 4 million is igbos in lagos is not right and also anambra has igala indigenes and other yorubas and hausa in the state

i might be wrong again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nigerian_states_by_population
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by AndreUweh(m): 12:46pm On Aug 14, 2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benue_State
On Benue state read the above link. Apart from Okpoku LGA that are predominantly Igbo speaking, there also Igbo in Obi and Oju LGA's.
On those who may deny Igbo: It is an individual thing, they have not come out as a group to disclaim Igbo and hence they are represented in Ohanaeze.
On Oyo state, Ndigbo are mostly found in Ibadan. Areas such as Agbowo, Abadina, Ikolaba, Ekotedo, Mokola, Oke Ado, Molete, Challenge, Dugbe, New Bodija and Sango has large concentration of Ndigbo. In other towns in Oyo state, they are not in hundreds of thousands but in thousands mostly engaged in business.
On Ogun state: Almost all the business centres is dominated by Ndigbo in Abeokuta with the exception of Igbore market that is mostly Adire materials. Shagamu and Ijebu Ode has large concentration of Ndigbo and they constitute 20% of those towns. Otta and other towns close to Lagos has also large concentration of Ndigbo.
Now compare that with Imo state that has 98% Ndigbo. Abia 96%, Enugu 94% and Anambra 92%. In the entire East, you have less than 20,000 Yorubas against 2 million Ndigbo in the south west minus Lagos with over 4 million.
How about Ndigbo of Ndoki origin located in Etim Ekpo and Ika Lga's in Akwa Ibom.?.
@ Alh Harem, it is a known fact that there more Ndigbo in Nigeria than Yorubas. But it is not certain between Hausa and Igbo who is more numerous.

1 Like

Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by aljharem3: 1:01pm On Aug 14, 2011
Andre Uweh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benue_State
On Benue state read the above link. Apart from Okpoku LGA that are predominantly Igbo speaking, there llso Igbo in Obi and Oju LGA's.
On those who may deny Igbo: It is an individual thing, they have not come out as a group to disclaim Igbo and hence they are represented in Ohanaeze.
On Oyo state, Ndigbo are mostly found in Ibadan. Areas such as Agbowo, Abadina, Ikolaba, Ekotedo, Mokola, Oke Ado, Molete, Challenge, Dugbe, New Bodija and Sango has large concentration of Ndigbo. In other towns in Oyo state, they are not in hundreds of thousands but in thousands mostly engaged in business.
On Ogun state: Almost all the business centres is dominated by Ndigbo in Abeokuta wioth the exception of Igbore market that is mostly Adire materials. Shagamu and Ijebu Ode has large concentration of Ndigbo and they constitute 20% of those towns. Otta and other towns close to Lagos has also large concentration of Ndigbo.
Now compare that with Imo state that has 98% Ndigbo. Abia 96%, Enugu 94% and Anambra 92%. In the entire East, you have less than 20,000 Yorubas against 2 million Ndigbo in the south west minus Lagos with over 4 million.
How about Ndigbo of Ndoki origin located in Etim Ekpo and Ika Lga's in Akwa Ibom.?.
@ Alh Harem, it is a known fact that there more Ndigbo in Nigeria than Yorubas. But it is not certain between Hausa and Igbo is more numerous.

Lol gbammmm i agree.
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by ndiigbo1: 1:19pm On Aug 14, 2011
Alj harem. I am Ikwerre as well and identify with Igbo so shut ur bleeping mouth and go sleep. We Ikwerres are Igbos ok.

My clan is Ikwerre my ethnic group is Igbo. No two ways about it
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by ak47mann(m): 1:25pm On Aug 14, 2011
WENE OOOOOO grin grin grin
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by kodewrita(m): 1:40pm On Aug 14, 2011
So simply because the Igbo sit in shops in public all day long makes them more numerous than the yorubas on the farms and highways and offices. interesting logic.
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by Abagworo(m): 2:00pm On Aug 14, 2011
Anambra is the most densely populated State in Nigeria closely followed by Imo.Abia,Rivers,Enugu rank amongst 2nd most densely populated.Lagos is the most densely populated but by all Nigerians and not Yoruba or Igbo.The best way to know our actual population distribution is through primary school enrolment especially among the Igbo and Yoruba whom I am certain 95% of them attend primary school.
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by Abagworo(m): 2:16pm On Aug 14, 2011
Google earth or this map can help out in density per state but not actual population.

Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by aljharem3: 4:37pm On Aug 14, 2011
Abagworo:

Anambra is the most densely populated State in Nigeria closely followed by Imo.Abia,Rivers,Enugu rank amongst 2nd most densely populated.Lagos is the most densely populated but by all Nigerians and not Yoruba or Igbo.The best way to know our actual population distribution is through primary school enrolment especially among the Igbo and Yoruba whom I am certain 95% of them attend primary school.

abagworo I highly respect your views and I want to still have a good respectable realtionship with you on Nl. wink

all this andre and ohaneze estimation of igbos in lagos is all a lie, I live in lagos and the enivroment is very much yoruba everywhere. but I WOULD GIVE IGBOS BENEFIT OF DOUBT

Now Andre said Igbos are 4 million in lagos out of 10 million. anambra is 4.2 million apart from the hausa/ijaw/yoruba population, Igala are indigenes in anambra as well thus I would say igbos are about 2.5 million- 3 million in anambra

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nigerian_states_by_population

thus lagos holds the highest igbo population IN NIGERIA AND THE WORLD

true or false

again according to ohaneze igbos are 45-70 % of lagos is igbo grin grin grin OK if so out of a population of 18 million

70% of 18 million is about 12 million if so it also mean the highest igbo population in NIGERIA AND THE WORLD IS IN LAGOS

true or false

Now IF true then Lagos should holds the igbos community in the world as small as lagos is (the smallest state) thus both by population density and size lagos holds the highest igbo population.

right!!!

LAGOS

With all this, One would think that lagos is an igbo state in a yoruba enclave but that is wrong, there is not igbo television, radio or any form of legistrative language in lagos. You rarly see igbo been spoken when compared to hausa or yoruba in lagos.

Again places like oyingbo, epe, badagry kosofe,ijaye, ifelodun etc u rarly see igbos. Quote me if i am wrong

high igbo population are in 3 place out a possible 16

which are alaba, idumota and computer village

Now to prove the hausas are more than igbos in lagos, go to mushin, mile 12, oshidi, obalanede, etc those living in lagos know what i am talking about.

Now population density

to show you that both yorubas and hausas are more than igbos

1. lagos is a yoruba city and I am sure they are more than igbos and hausa

2. ekiti and osun are larger than ebonyi and enugu and u rarely see igbos in those state, but with equal population density

3. igbos start and end in 5 SE state + ikwerri, ika, anoima etc which amount to less than 11% of the country's population

4. the igbos in the north are low in numbers when compared to yorubas but the yorubas blend in well when compared to igbos. there are more yorubas in borno/sokoto alone to cover the anioma ethnic group fold over again

5. yorubaland have 6 SW states kwara and kogi + delta, edo .

6 the yorubas are other 2-3 neigbouring countries such as benin republic (current president a yoruba man boni yayi) togo and part of ghana.

The hausa/fulani are in cameroun, niger, senegal, sudan, mail etc in large numbers

the igbos are only in Nigeria unless u want to talk of migration to gabon, cameroun etc which they are settlers in and not indigenes.

7. I believe and it is a personal choice that ijaws are more than Igbos and i stand to be corrected as the are found in nigeria and gabon or so. I may be wrong

8. and lastly an ethnic census would be bad as any group found as a minority would cause problem for the sovernity of this country

an ethnic census would be a bad idea
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by Abagworo(m): 8:50pm On Aug 14, 2011
@alj-harem.I have to fault some of your insinuations because they are opposite of what is obtainable.

1) Igbos outside Igboland rarely speak or teach their children Igbo in order to avoid persecution associated with Igbo identity.So Igbos are more multilingual than any ethnic group in Nigeria.

2) Lagos should never be added to the population of any ethnic group because it is a blend of more than 400 ethnic groups from several countries.

3)Lagos is not up to 18 million and Nigeria is not more than 100 million.Our population is inflated.If you take a look at the size of New york and the height of the houses and has a population of 8million while New york State which include New Jersey is about 18million.Go to google earth and check the landmass and height of the buildings and compare with Lagos which according to Nigeria's laughable census is 18million.
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by aljharem3: 9:14pm On Aug 14, 2011
How was ur sunday ? Hope it was good. I can see u did not really fault my analysis

Abagworo:

@alj-harem.I have to fault some of your insinuations because they are opposite of what is obtainable.

1) Igbos outside Igboland rarely speak or teach their children Igbo in order to avoid persecution associated with Igbo identity.So Igbos are more multilingual than any ethnic group in Nigeria.

There is no persecution for teaching igbo to ur children. where did u get that from. At least u have to gave ur children igbo names isn't it. So by such they know they are igbos and thus can associate themselves to igbo identity. If so even in lagos schools how come those that learn yoruba language are more than those that learn the igbo language In SCHOOL. remember it is compusory to learn 1 of the 3 major languages in every secondary school.

Abagworo:

2) Lagos should never be added to the population of any ethnic group because it is a blend of more than 400 ethnic groups from several countries.

why should lagos not be added what makes lagos differnet from cross river ? so if i am awori i should not be counted because people migrated to my state

i think this is a silly suggestion. there are more ethnic groups in adamawa alone than the entire SOUTHERN NIGERIA rangeing from fulani, yoruba, igbo, etc

or if i am kanuri in lagos, i should not be counted

every single individual should be counted so it would give a fair account. if lagos is removed, so should anambra, and adamawa be removed.

or in an ethnic census in USA is New york not counted which has much more groups than Nigeria,, or in england is london not counted undecided

anambra too is how to lot of people from yoruba-hausa-igbo-igala-idoma-ijaw-edo etc it should not be counted as well brother going by ur logic

Abagworo:

3)Lagos is not up to 18 million and Nigeria is not more than 100 million.Our population is inflated.If you take a look at the size of New york and the height of the houses and has a population of 8million while New york State which include New Jersey is about 18million.Go to google earth and check the landmass and height of the buildings and compare with Lagos which according to Nigeria's laughable census is 18million.

whether lagos is 2 million or 30 million it is not material. Lagos is the 2nd most populous state in nigeria whether we like it or not and more people flock in the state daily for greener pastures.

if lagos census is wrong then i believe it is safe to say anambra (the most populous SE state) census is over bloated as well. how can a non-commerical capital other than onitsha house 4.2 million people given that there is erosion as well + the highly dense forest.
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by aljharem3: 10:05pm On Aug 14, 2011
I can see no igbo is ready to revolt my analysis grin grin grin grin grin grin

the stone is now the chief cornerstone

an ethnic census would be a very terrible idea for igbos. it is ur choice but even ohaneze and massob are thinking twice about it as if ijaws or other groups are more than igbos then it spells disaster for igbos as the little both yorubas and igbos have would be taken away from them if anyone is a minority

best just let things flow and wait for Nigeria to mix up so words like i am mbaise, I am ijaw, i am kanuri would die and it would be I AM A NIGERIAN. God bless igbo people, God bless yoruba people, God bless Hausa people. GOD BLESS NIGERIA
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by ChinenyeN(m): 10:19pm On Aug 14, 2011
I'm wondering where AljHarem is getting this Ijo outnumber Igbo thing.
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by aljharem3: 10:25pm On Aug 14, 2011
ChinenyeN:

I'm wondering where AljHarem is getting this Ijo outnumber Igbo thing.

Lol how u had a good sunday brother?

I am not getting this from anywhere and have no sources but all i did is peculate

it is obvious to some people that i might be wrong although i is a personal believe which might be wrong
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by ChinenyeN(m): 10:32pm On Aug 14, 2011
I would imagine you to be wrong in that belief. Anyway, I believe an independent third party to carry out a quiet census on Nigeria's population. It's obvious that we can't trust FG, and it's even more obvious that we cannot trust ourselves to count truthfully. I would very much like to know the population distribution in Nigeria, both by ethnicity and state.
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by aljharem3: 10:41pm On Aug 14, 2011
ChinenyeN:

I would imagine you to be wrong in that belief. Anyway, I believe an independent third party to carry out a quiet census on Nigeria's population. It's obvious that we can't trust FG, and it's even more obvious that we cannot trust ourselves to count truthfully. I would very much like to know the population distribution in Nigeria, both by ethnicity and state.

you are so correct, we can not trust anyone not even foreigners to do it

although I don't think an ethnic census is the right way to go about things because if the yorubas or igbos are found to be lower in hiraque then there would be revolt and fight.likly say the northerner have cheated them again and that is not the case.

I would like to know but it should be discouraged now in this modern day nigeria. the ethnic census in nigeria now is done based on the trouble u can cause the nation to go through. although make sure it is done with sense
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by ChinenyeN(m): 10:50pm On Aug 14, 2011
People worry too much about Nigeria's instability. "We can't do this", "we dare not do that", "no this will cause this". So much we "can't" do because people dey worry. Well I say let revolt happen. This construct will eventually come apart, and I say better sooner than later. Let it come apart while I still dey in my youth.
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by ezeagu(m): 11:27pm On Aug 14, 2011
Abagworo:

[size=14pt]Hah![/size] I thought it was because they couldn't be bothered/don't want their children to speak bush talk. Anyway, when the teachers read out the Okoros surname in the classrooms everyone will know who they are.
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by ChinenyeN(m): 11:35pm On Aug 14, 2011
Let a quiet census be conducted.
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by AndreUweh(m): 11:42pm On Aug 14, 2011
@Alh Harem, there is no reason whatsoever why there can't be ethnic census. It is done in the western world.
Every Nigerian knows that there are more Igbos than Yorubas in the north except in Kwara state for a reason we all know.
In the West, the only group that comes close to the Yoruba is Ndigbo. Then followed by Edo/Delta, Cross River/AkwaIbom and Hausas.
In Lagos, Ndigbo are not only found in business but civil service, education and all spheres of life.
It is an out right stupidy for anyone to compare Hausa people who sell sugarcane, Suya and Black market to Igbo population in Lagos.
Let there be ethnic census in Nigeria.
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by Abagworo(m): 12:07am On Aug 15, 2011
alj_harem:

How was your sunday ? Hope it was good. I can see u did not really fault my analysis

There is no persecution for teaching igbo to your children.  where did u get that from.

Nairaland alone is enough to prove the obvious persecution.Every weapon has been used against these resilient people that many have even tried to deny their identity as a means of survival or gaining acceptance from other Nigerians.The reactions during the various crisis in Nigeria shows that a particular group are generally targeted.Even what was done in Rivers State after the war and division of Igbo clans based on availability of oil tells the obvious.

I served in Yorubaland and I was a watcher all through.I lived in ethnic denial and gained love from people in order to study them and I got my result.I believe in Nigeria but it does not mean I do not know what is discussed behind me.

I have to let you know this that the only Nigerians that share love with Igbos are the Akwa Ibom and Cross River peoples.The rest are full of hatred and envy.
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by tpia5: 2:10am On Aug 15, 2011
^^love or genes.
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by ChinenyeN(m): 2:55am On Aug 15, 2011
tpia@:

^^love or genes.
Both.
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by tpia5: 2:56am On Aug 15, 2011
no argument there.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

UN Warns Britain Over Child Voodoo Rituals, P.edophile Sex Tourists / 5 Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About The Efik People / Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.