Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,732 members, 7,820,537 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:40 PM

The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? (25322 Views)

Nigeria's Most Feared Masquerades, Names And Photos / How Can You Marry Someone From An Ethnic Group You Claim To Hate? / Most Populous Language In Nigeria apart from pigin and english (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by odumchi: 6:42pm On Aug 16, 2011
Just to add, no Southern state can encompass all of Igboland. I posted a map above for reference.
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by aljharem3: 7:00pm On Aug 16, 2011
oludashmi:

@ alj harem
I have to say I always respect your comments and I hadly agree for less.
You 've got well analysed facts while the guy arguing with you undecided cant stop talking based on we we, without having a single back-up.

LOL grin grin ramadan kareem my sister

I know if i kept posting on this topic, it would never ever end as Andre Uweh is not ready to learn from fact insisted of predictions made by him. wink

Again I always tought the igbos had a large population until i did the analysis myself and found out the the largest igbo population and concentration is in Lagos. That got me to know there population of 18% is very very questionable.

Not withstanding i would like this topic to end as I would be seen as ,.,.,.,., u know Nl now grin

odumchi:

Just to add, no Southern state can encompass all of Igboland. I posted a map above for reference.

very correct, but if u then add up Oyo and ondo/ osun then it does wink

moreover kwara and kogi are also large states as well (although north) wink

just pulling ur legs again grin grin grin
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by aljharem3: 7:17pm On Aug 16, 2011
also I would like to give Andre this about Kogi state gotten from kogi state website

Kogi state came into being as a result of the state creation exercise on 27th of August, 1991 with the administrative headquarters in Lokoja.

The creation of the state was indeed a significant development for its citizens. This is because it brought about the reunion of a people who had shared historical roots and co-existed peacefully with the former Kabba province in the defunct Northern Region for more than 80 years.

The state which is structured into 21 LGA’s comprises of three major ethnic groups i.e. Igala, Ebira and Okun (Yoruba) other minor groups include – Bassa Komo, Bassa Nge, Kakanda, Kupa, Ogori-Magongo, Nupe, Oworo, Gwari etc.

There are 8 languages spoken as first language in Kogi State. Ebira, Igala, Nupe and Yoruba are major languages. The other languages are minority languages.

The state was formed in 1991 from parts of Kwara State and Benue State. The State as presently constituted comprises the peoples of the defunct Kabba Province of Northern Nigeria. There are four main ethnic groups and languages in Kogi: Igala, Ebira, Okun ( Yoruba), Bassa and Yagba(Yoruba)

http://www.kogistatenigeria.org/aboutus.htm

that is Kogi for you

also Kwara state

The principal groups residing in Kwara State are the Yoruba, Nupe, Bariba and Fulani. The skilled craftsmanship of the people of this central region has been evident for centuries. The, largest and most important pottery workshops in Nigeria can be found in the capital city of Ilorin. Proponents of the craft of traditional textile weaving are also very prominent: the Aso Oke style of hand-loomed cloth-making is world renowned.

http://www.kwarastate.gov.ng/about-kwara-state.html

Kwara State is one of the 36 states of Nigeria. Its capital is Ilorin and its governor is Bukola Saraki. The primary ethnic group of Kwara State is Yoruba, with significant Nupe, Bariba and Fulani minorities.

http://www.speakersoffice.gov.ng/constituencies_kwara.htm

andre kwara and kogi are yoruba states in the north with other groups such as fulanis, igala, nupe etc and even them admit to this

even I know this , that is if you have been to those states grin grin

trying to say is not a yoruba state is not being honest with urself, Yes it is a northern state with yoruba population

grin grin grin grin Ramadan kareem to u too my brother smiley smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by AndreUweh(m): 7:25pm On Aug 16, 2011
@Alh Harem, what do you expect me to learn from you, when I do not even read all you chat here. There is an easter Nigeria proverb that says that what one is wearing in his wrist, does not require a mirror to view it. I have resided in Oyo state in the past and has been to almost every part of Yorubaland. Also second half of my secondary school and university education were at Ibadan. As a consequency, I am better suited to compare Igboland where I originally come from and Yorubaland where I spent some years. This is unlike you guys that have never left Lagos state.
Do yourself a favour, take a trip to Iwo Road, Ibadan from Lagos and find out things by yourself. When you have done that, then you will be convinced that the number of Ndigbo in Iwo Road alone is higher than the entire Yoruba population in Imo state. The only Yoruba people you will find in Imo state are youth corp members, some policemen and some soldiers. About 800 in total.
In terms of population, Ndigbo are the largest ethnic group in Southern Nigeria and probably the third largest in West Africa after Hausa/Fulani and Yoruba.
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by aljharem3: 7:47pm On Aug 16, 2011
Andre Uweh:

@Alh Harem, what do you expect me to learn from you, when I do not even read all you chat here. There is an easter Nigeria proverb that says that what one is wearing in his wrist, does not require a mirror to view it. I have resided in Oyo state in the past and has been to almost every part of Yorubaland. Also second half of my secondary school and university education were at Ibadan. As a consequency, I am better suited to compare Igboland where I originally come from and Yorubaland where I spent some years. This is unlike you guys that have never left Lagos state.
Do yourself a favour, take a trip to Iwo Road, Ibadan from Lagos and find out things by yourself. When you have done that, then you will be convinced that the number of Ndigbo in Iwo Road alone is higher than the entire Yoruba population in Imo state. The only Yoruba people you will find in Imo state are youth corp members, some policemen and some soldiers. About 800 in total.
In terms of population, Ndigbo are the largest ethnic group in Southern Nigeria and probably the third largest in West Africa after Hausa/Fulani and Yoruba.

Lol i have been to abeokuta, ibadan , offa, igbomina, kabba, lagos, akure, warri, port harcourt, calabar, nnewi, in the south. I don't do school but business

We are not talking about the south but Nigeria but even without kwara and kogi, igbos are NOT THE LARGEST Ethnic group in the South. Get this, don't tell me things I know of. Igbos are not more than yorubasor even the SS groups

Again the largest igbo population is in lagos and the highest igbo concentration is in lagos, thus I have come to the conclusion that igbo population is very very small but wide spread more like fulanis

Edo people or more than igbos in lagos, hausa as well

then again show me any igbos town as populated and concentrated as Oyo not to even talk of lagos

[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRizLtsJuxyfb9g1-FG3YYGHSJCQt5vJZ7nfIWuSTVUd7xkgew[/img]

unless u want to tell me that they are all igbos too

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTibf3I7fVKhLnqG20EcHGvu2V9E7cHiqrcl1yOFiCD4ym8G7k[/img]

igbos as well

[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQevpBXz8vnbslwhFGJNv3SD1gjNB-2XV2UzZlC06jhpTBp2hsXwA[/img]

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRa561x-SyXYANKIskNH5970LQtwGrvIXXtZsR5JSFiwQFNKx41[/img]

Back to lagos (lagoon/eko/oko)

are this people igbos as well, i mean 4-6 million out of 9 million are igbos

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQD6pD56U5BBiO9bBqeSECwT2-MrY18BDdxMV6q0kGrgZwDwDN8[/img]

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9v6fxP9VIEdAEDTOvCKEn-LXURnXutSdtDzc53GE_cZIHV6S-YoVWcpxw[/img]

notice the hausa/fulani/kanuri are more than igbos in lagos

[img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5kFXy1g9pS9vmuW07OzRdJOngNHDnVhrueyYT61r1AhfFoZ6tdA[/img]

are they all igbos as well

[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhT9DZ_nKuhJ4aP1GCp9cSUNAjFvT2-y6IToVNzUbwKVSgFJNNCA[/img]

hausa again

[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUtwTKhrqOAGpH2tNxmBQXY9VOPAqYWTJskXLTL8Q6WLqKqksffQ[/img]

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyvUjZYJgdORQm-6bltn_6nzvX7N3lvw-BHgdYMf2TtzAzGrub[/img]

igbos as well

andre please and please i am done with this topic, i knew u would keep arguing as ur ego would not allow you to think

well brother how was ur day smiley
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by AndreUweh(m): 8:14pm On Aug 16, 2011
^^^
Posting photographs of archaic and dilapilated Yoruba houses is not enough to make any one believe there are more Yorubas than Ndigbo in Nigeria. Even as close as Benin city is to Yorubaland, you still have more Ndigbo in that city more than Yorubas. The places Yoruba outnumber Ndigbo is in Western Nigeria, Kwara state and Kogi states.
Even in some places in Western Nigeria, Ndigbo and Yorubas are at par for example in Badagry. Though the largest group there are the Egun people.
Worldwide, it is only in mainland Britain and Benin rep that has larger concentration of Yorubas than Ndigbo.
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by ezeagu(m): 8:26pm On Aug 16, 2011
Yoruba people live in a few large cities, Igbo people live in densely packed compounds in densely packed villages that are linked side-by-side-by-side. I thought we've been through this.
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by aljharem3: 8:39pm On Aug 16, 2011
Andre Uweh:

^^^
Posting photographs of archaic and dilapilated Yoruba houses is not enough to make any one believe there are more Yorubas than Ndigbo in Nigeria. Even as close as Benin city is to Yorubaland, you still have more Ndigbo in that city more than Yorubas. The places Yoruba outnumber Ndigbo is in Western Nigeria, Kwara state and Kogi states.
Even in some places in Western Nigeria, Ndigbo and Yorubas are at par for example in Badagry. Though the largest group there are the Egun people.
Worldwide, it is only in mainland Britain and Benin rep that has larger concentration of Yorubas than Ndigbo.

badagry festac alaba igbos are more than yorubas if u believe

mushin, mile 12, idumota , sabo-yaba market hausa are more than yorubas

brother what are you getting at. this people are more than igbos

haba. unless u give me a comprehensive analysis to prove otherwise then i stand by my analysis and trust me all this suggestions and guess work u are doing does not cut it for me

Yorubas are more than igbos in the Nw and NE, edo, delta, at par in rivers and cross river state, more south africa

saudi arabia

russia

norway,

ireland, canada, ghana etc

i stand to be corrected again

all this ur half baked guesses and suggestions does not cut it for me. A man named emeka osaze is not igbo

a man names oladeji ajoa is not yoruba in edo state so stop this rubbish talk brother grin grin grin grin

again benue state has more yorubas in it than igbos, i stand to be corrected and that is why the governor wanted more igbos in the state for fedral charcter

again even in the Usa i would say they out number the igbos again

even just ekiti people are more than igbos in Usa. i stand to be corrected

http://africa.world247.net/nigeria-news/yoruba-in-benue-laud-obasanjo/

South america and carribean islands is there world and i am sure you know this. this are indigenes who still call themselves yorubas

serri leano is the same story. there are more yorubas than igbos, even Mukina2 comfirmed it that there is Nothing like igbo in serria leano

maybe u beat them in cameroun and gabon but that is it. even at that the hausa/fulani population beat u there. again i stand to be corrected grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

the last strong hold is awka ibom, and 5 SE states

guy please don't let me sound tribalistic again o grin grin grin grin grin andre i don't want to keep arguing with u because i know after this, u would still reply to say igbos are more but I have shown you in the prevoius page that it is a lie.

there was an ethnic census 1991 that found igbos to be 18% ( WHICH IS QUESTIONABLE) because ikwerri, ika etc were all counted as igbo then but not now.

yorubas were found to be 21% without igala,akoko edo , apoi ijaw, nupe, itsekiri etc been counted and i am sure now they would

hausa/fulani were 28% but the fulani in kwara etc were not counted but now the would be counted

opobo was counted as igbo but now it would be ijaw

brother u hope this does not make u angry but this is the truth.
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by aljharem3: 8:41pm On Aug 16, 2011
ezeagu:

Yoruba people live in a few large cities, Igbo people live in densely packed compounds in densely packed villages that are linked side-by-side-by-side. I thought we've been through this.

very very wrong

brother

yorubas live in densely parked laces, igbos wide spread
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by ChinenyeN(m): 8:51pm On Aug 16, 2011
Where do you keep getting this your SS outnumbering Igbo thing, AljHarem?
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by ezeagu(m): 9:13pm On Aug 16, 2011
Densely parked laces? Trololololol
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by aljharem3: 9:18pm On Aug 16, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Where do you keep getting this your SS outnumbering Igbo thing, AljHarem?

using the numbers of edo, ijaw, etc and how well i see them when compare to igbos in the north and SW
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by aljharem3: 9:18pm On Aug 16, 2011
ezeagu:

Densely parked laces? Trololololol

grin grin grin grin
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by Chyz2: 9:33pm On Aug 16, 2011
alj_harem:

badagry festac alaba igbos are more than yorubas if u believe

mushin, mile 12, idumota , sabo-yaba market hausa are more than yorubas

brother what are you getting at. this people are more than igbos

haba. unless u give me a comprehensive analysis to prove otherwise then i stand by my analysis and trust me all this suggestions and guess work u are doing does not cut it for me

Yorubas are more than igbos in the Nw and NE, edo, delta, at par in rivers and cross river state, more south africa

saudi arabia

russia

norway,

ireland, canada, ghana etc

i stand to be corrected again

all this your half baked guesses and suggestions does not cut it for me. A man named emeka osaze is not igbo

a man names oladeji ajoa is not yoruba in edo state so stop this rubbish talk brother grin grin grin grin

again benue state has more yorubas in it than igbos, i stand to be corrected and that is why the governor wanted more igbos in the state for fedral charcter

again even in the Usa i would say they out number the igbos again

even just ekiti people are more than igbos in Usa. i stand to be corrected

http://africa.world247.net/nigeria-news/yoruba-in-benue-laud-obasanjo/

South america and carribean islands is there world and i am sure you know this. this are indigenes who still call themselves yorubas

serri leano is the same story. there are more yorubas than igbos, even Mukina2 comfirmed it that there is Nothing like igbo in serria leano

maybe u beat them in cameroun and gabon but that is it. even at that the hausa/fulani population beat u there. again i stand to be corrected grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

the last strong hold is awka ibom, and 5 SE states

guy please don't let me sound tribalistic again o grin grin grin grin grin andre i don't want to keep arguing with u because i know after this, u would still reply to say igbos are more but I have shown you in the prevoius page that it is a lie.

there was an ethnic census 1991 that found igbos to be 18% ( WHICH IS QUESTIONABLE) because ikwerri, ika etc were all counted as igbo then but not now.

yorubas were found to be 21% without igala,akoko edo , apoi ijaw, nupe, itsekiri etc been counted and i am sure now they would

hausa/fulani were 28% but the fulani in kwara etc were not counted but now the would be counted

opobo was counted as igbo but now it would be ijaw

brother u hope this does not make u angry but this is the truth.

I was going to stay out of this but you mentioned my state and talked falsely about it.

1. Yorubas are not in Delta State,period. If you want to include itsekiri(they never said they are yoruba btw) they are still no way near the population of Igbos in Delta state-FACT.

2. Yorubas are nowhere at par of close to the population of Igbos in Rivers state. Rivers is an Igbo stay, dont forget that.

3. Yorubas being more than the Igbos in the NW and NE, i laugh out loud because even history books made it clear that Ndigbo was the most populous southern group in the north since the 60s, unless im missing something undecided. Unless there was a mass exodus of yorubas to the north some time recently. Sure there are millions of yorubas in the north but not as many as Igbo-FACT.

4. Cross Rivers State? You're not even serious. undecided

5. Never and will never have more yorubas than Igbos. We flocked there in the thousands and we also have indigenous Igbos there. Now as for the Governor Saswam, he congratualted and honored Ndigbo for bring staunch economic enhancement to the state. I know this because I posted an article on it. GO into the search engine. wink

6. 12% of the slave brought to Sierra Leone were Ndigbo-FACT . These Igbos brought there were dedicated to their clan and did not come to know themselves being under a classification of "Igbo". Check out Isuama.

7. Ethnic census in 1991 Which president did this and what census organization? Where are the results of each of the non-indigenous ethnic groups per state? There must have been a video of this announcement, where is the video? Lets compare these numbers with the appropriate voting age of those who voted during the 1993 presidential election.Even though that is a little stretch at least we are working with something and can weed things out.

8. Igala, Nupe, Apoi-IJAW  are not yoruba! Stop claiming groups. Itsekiri is fine but the others,especially Nupe are no-nos.(We aint taking about relation brotha).

9. Opobo was never counted as Igbo so stop lying.

10. Stop all the nonsense lets not make gross claims,especially when facts are all over the net. I'm not saying a whole population of one group is more than the other but lets get serious,dued.
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by AndreUweh(m): 9:50pm On Aug 16, 2011
@Chyz, I wonder how someone who claims he has been fasting could come here and spill such lies that nairalanders has never read before. I wonder how the few mechanics, battery chargers, taxi drivers could swell up the number of Yorubas in Port Harcourt to the extent they are more than Ngwa, Mbano or Ohafia people in Port Harcourt.
Even in Benue state that has indigenous Igbo population, Alh Hrem claims Yorubas are in Majority.
@Alh Harem, there are about 3 hundred thousand Ndigbo in the U.S as against Yorubas 80, 000.
In Europe, only in mainland Britain that Yorubas outnumber Ndigbo. In Malaysia, news reaching me recently has it that there are 30,000 Ndigbo in that and the next Nigerian group after Ndigbo are people of Edo/Delta while the Yoruba population in that country are less than 3,000.
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by aljharem3: 10:07pm On Aug 16, 2011
Chyz*:

I was going to stay out of this but you mentioned my state and talked falsely about it.

1. Yorubas are not in Delta State,period. If you want to include itsekiri(they never said they are yoruba btw) they are still no way near the population of Igbos in Delta state-FACT.

2. Yorubas are nowhere at par of close to the population of Igbos in Rivers state. Rivers is an Igbo stay, dont forget that.

3. Yorubas being more than the Igbos in the NW and NE, i laugh out loud because even history books made it clear that Ndigbo was the most populous southern group in the north since the 60s, unless im missing something undecided. Unless there was a mass exodus of yorubas to the north some time recently. Sure there are millions of yorubas in the north but not as many as Igbo-FACT.

4. Cross Rivers State? You're not even serious. undecided

5. Never and will never have more yorubas than Igbos. We flocked there in the thousands and we also have indigenous Igbos there. Now as for the Governor Saswam, he congratualted and honored Ndigbo for bring staunch economic enhancement to the state. I know this because I posted an article on it. GO into the search engine. wink

6. 12% of the slave brought to Sierra Leone were Ndigbo-FACT . These Igbos brought there were dedicated to their clan and did not come to know themselves being under a classification of "Igbo". Check out Isuama.

7. Ethnic census in 1991 Which president did this and what census organization? Where are the results of each of the non-indigenous ethnic groups per state? There must have been a video of this announcement, where is the video? Lets compare these numbers with the appropriate voting age of those who voted during the 1993 presidential election.Even though that is a little stretch at least we are working with something and can weed things out.

8. Igala, Nupe, Apoi-IJAW  are not yoruba! Stop claiming groups. Itsekiri is fine but the others,especially Nupe are no-nos.(We aint taking about relation brotha).

9. Opobo was never counted as Igbo so stop lying.

10. Stop all the nonsense lets not make gross claims,especially when facts are all over the net. I'm not saying a whole population of one group is more than the other but lets get serious,dued.

Lol grin grin grin grin chyz chyz chyz

1. some itsekiri claim to be yoruba. again i don't post without facts

They have never claimed to be Binis or even to be an Edoid people. They claim Yoruba roots. Is Omoruyi saying that they should forego their linguistic and DNA-based ethnic heritage and move with their king to reclaim his Benin ancestry? This is an instance in which what is good for the Olu may not be good for the Itsekiri people.

http://www.waado.org/organizations/uhs/debates/edowa/ekeh_edowa.html

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/08/yoruba-itsekiri-to-strengthen-ties/

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=CS0h4Ye9puUC&pg=PA311&lpg=PA311&dq=itsekiri+yoruba&source=bl&ots=c9y6eJ4M9L&sig=sXpcM1ld8jCIVrFw6VZn9vdtWMI&hl=en&ei=cNZKTrKqIcXLhAf0qKyOCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCAQ6AEwATgU#v=onepage&q=itsekiri%20yoruba&f=false

etc really i don tire

2. yes they are more than Igbos due to personal expreience in the state

3. history books wrote igbos were in the north and did not talk of yorubas in the north.Again unless u have lived int he north there is no really point in me discussing with u here. history books did not put that there are hausa people more than igbos in the state (lagos)

4. cross river has more yorubas than igbos to the extent that there are cutural infulence

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/ArtsandCulture/Cuisine/5484911-147/story.csp

5. Lol grin grin grin grin wink again chyz that is why i ike discussing with u

6. there is nothing like igbo in serri leano a serri leanoian comfimed so and history but as USUAL people like andre ohaneze are quick to claim  wink grin grin there is nothing like igbo in serri leano history unless we go to nigeria were you people feed us lies. again i stand to be corrected

7. http://www.amstat.org/sections/srms/proceedings/y2007/Files/JSM2007-000561.pdf

( don't have much internet credit) grin grin

8. again as i said apoi ijaw etc were never counted as yoruba, but groups like apoi ijaw chose to relate with yoruba, no one is forcing them but same can not be said of Ika and ikwerre u people fight and force for them to say they are igbos.

sahara reporter owner is apoi ijaw, yet a stu.pid man open a topic to say "igbo is not under yoruba colone sahara reporters as if it is owned by a yoruba man

http://nigeriamasterweb.com/blog/index.php/2011/06/07/saharareporters-a-tool-of-yoruba-colonization-of-ndigbo

abi apoi ijaw is yoruba as well you can see that EMEKA is sick grin grin grin grin

9. http://nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/main-square/3624-igbos-quest-annex-niger-delta.html

10. I was serious when I did my first and second post on this thread but if Andre is not serious with it as he kept claiming and suggesting without reading my analysis and counter analysis it then i can as well piss him off tonight

no offence my brother.  smiley You are a nice Guy only trying to defend Igbos as a people but I need to set things straight to aviod revisionist ( for example 60-70% of igbos is lagos etc) grin grin
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by aljharem3: 10:13pm On Aug 16, 2011
Andre Uweh:

@Chyz, I wonder how someone who claims he has been fasting could come here and spill such lies that nairalanders has never read before. I wonder how the few mechanics, battery chargers, taxi drivers could swell up the number of Yorubas in Port Harcourt to the extent they are more than Ngwa, Mbano or Ohafia people in Port Harcourt.
Even in Benue state that has indigenous Igbo population, Alh Hrem claims Yorubas are in Majority.
@Alh Harem, there are about 3 hundred thousand Ndigbo in the U.S as against Yorubas 80, 000.
In Europe, only in mainland Britain that Yorubas outnumber Ndigbo. In Malaysia, news reaching me recently has it that there are 30,000 Ndigbo in that and the next Nigerian group after Ndigbo are people of Edo/Delta while the Yoruba population in that country are less than 3,000.

again I am not lying, I did not post anything without backup

u are the one posting without real figures brother smiley

post with links and facts with analysis not just saying out of ur head that Igbos are 1 million here while yorubas are 80,000 there

where did u come to the conclusion, or are u an emulator or census officers

people have done this accession before and i am using there figures and Ohaneze figures to do my discussion. u are using figures from ur head. undecided

no brother who is lying
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by Chyz2: 11:38pm On Aug 16, 2011
alj_harem:

Lol grin grin grin grin chyz chyz chyz

1. some itsekiri claim to be yoruba. again i don't post without facts

They have never claimed to be Binis or even to be an Edoid people. They claim Yoruba roots. Is Omoruyi saying that they should forego their linguistic and DNA-based ethnic heritage and move with their king to reclaim his Benin ancestry? This is an instance in which what is good for the Olu may not be good for the Itsekiri people.

http://www.waado.org/organizations/uhs/debates/edowa/ekeh_edowa.html

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/08/yoruba-itsekiri-to-strengthen-ties/

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=CS0h4Ye9puUC&pg=PA311&lpg=PA311&dq=itsekiri+yoruba&source=bl&ots=c9y6eJ4M9L&sig=sXpcM1ld8jCIVrFw6VZn9vdtWMI&hl=en&ei=cNZKTrKqIcXLhAf0qKyOCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCAQ6AEwATgU#v=onepage&q=itsekiri%20yoruba&f=false

etc really i don tire

Funny thing is that NONE of the links you posted had Itsekiris claiming they are Yoruba.

Try this. AN actual source from Itsekiri themselves:

http://www.itsekiri.org/files/history/history.php

2. yes they are more than Igbos due to personal expreience in the state

O so we are going off of YOUR personal experience(which is even questionable),lol? Nothing to back up what you said,right? Exactly.

3. history books wrote igbos were in the north and did not talk of yorubas in the north.Again unless u have lived int he north there is no really point in me discussing with u here. history books did not put that there are hausa people more than igbos in the state (lagos)

Wrong, yorubas were said to be more home bound and igbos more spread out and found in large numbers in the north. The Europeans has noted this time after time. In fact, forget europeans, your former politicians as as far back as the 50s even noted that,lol. Funny, Did i tell u i didnt live in the north? and is the North 1 state? i guess you've been everywhere including everyone's home in the north, cheesy

cross river has more yorubas than igbos to the extent that there are cutural infulence

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/ArtsandCulture/Cuisine/5484911-147/story.csp

So you insulted yourself by posting this link and you didnt even catch it. The article is saying, there is NO SUCH YORUBA INFLUENCE IN CROSS RIVER STATE SO YOU(the yoruba girl) BETTER GET WITH THE PROGRAM,lol

Quote from the article:

The Yoruba gari, which is fermented far longer, is reserved mainly for drinking and interestingly is something of a delicacy. In the South-South, both raw gari and cooked gari are called gari. To the Yoruba, raw gari is gari and cooked gari is eba. So the joke is on the Yoruba who do not understand that there is an art to the eating of rocks.

In fact the article doesnt even relate or make sense. Are you ok?

5. Lol Grin Grin Grin Grin Wink again chyz that is why i ike discussing with u

I know. It's a part of my free education package to you.

6. there is nothing like igbo in serri leano a serri leanoian comfimed so and history but as USUAL people like andre ohaneze are quick to claim Wink Grin Grin there is nothing like igbo in serri leano history unless we go to nigeria were you people feed us lies. again i stand to be corrected

http://74.6.238.254/search/srpcache?ei=UTF-8&p=igbo+slaves+in+sierra+leone&fr=fptb-tyc-s&u=http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=igbo+slaves+in+sierra+leone&d=4784907360734182&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=a00d2913,cb46e84c&icp=1&.intl=us&sig=JQHdmOS0zqDjdqkEB8OkKA--

There's more btw, google it. wink

7. http://www.amstat.org/sections/srms/proceedings/y2007/Files/JSM2007-000561.pdf

( don't have much internet credit) Grin Grin

So we both can agree this is crap.

8. again as i said apoi ijaw etc were never counted as yoruba, but groups like apoi ijaw chose to relate with yoruba, no one is forcing them but same can not be said of Ika and ikwerre u people fight and force for them to say they are igbos.

sahara reporter owner is apoi ijaw, yet a stu.pid man open a topic to say "igbo is not under yoruba colone sahara reporters as if it is owned by a yoruba man

http://nigeriamasterweb.com/blog/index.php/2011/06/07/saharareporters-a-tool-of-yoruba-colonization-of-ndigbo

abi apoi ijaw is yoruba as well Huh Huh you can see that EMEKA is sick Grin Grin Grin Grin

Same can be said about the Ika and Ikwerre because the Apoi-IJAW are an Ijaw clan, not a yoruba clan. Ika and Ikwere are Igbo clans. wink

9. http://nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/main-square/3624-igbos-quest-annex-niger-delta.html

10. I was serious when I did my first and second post on this thread but if Andre is not serious with it as he kept claiming and suggesting without reading my analysis and counter analysis it then i can as well piss him off tonight

no offence my brother. Smiley You are a nice Guy only trying to defend Igbos as a people but I need to set things straight to aviod revisionist ( for example 60-70% of igbos is lagos etc) Grin Grin

Haba! tongue
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by aljharem3: 12:00am On Aug 17, 2011
Chyz*:

Funny thing is that NONE of the links you posted had Itsekiris claiming they are Yoruba.

Try this. AN actual source from Itsekiri themselves:

http://www.itsekiri.org/files/history/history.php

O so we are going off of YOUR personal experience(which is even questionable),lol? Nothing to back up what you said,right? Exactly.

Wrong, yorubas were said to be more home bound and igbos more spread out and found in large numbers in the north. The Europeans has noted this time after time. In fact, forget europeans, your former politicians as as far back as the 50s even noted that,lol. Funny, Did i tell u i didnt live in the north? and is the North 1 state? i guess you've been everywhere including everyone's home in the north, cheesy

So you insulted yourself by posting this link and you didnt even catch it. The article is saying, there is NO SUCH YORUBA INFLUENCE IN CROSS RIVER STATE SO YOU(the yoruba girl) BETTER GET WITH THE PROGRAM,lol

Quote from the article:

The Yoruba gari, which is fermented far longer, is reserved mainly for drinking and interestingly is something of a delicacy. In the South-South, both raw gari and cooked gari are called gari. To the Yoruba, raw gari is gari and cooked gari is eba. So the joke is on the Yoruba who do not understand that there is an art to the eating of rocks.

In fact the article doesnt even relate or make sense. Are you ok?

I know. It's a part of my free education package to you.

http://74.6.238.254/search/srpcache?ei=UTF-8&p=igbo+slaves+in+sierra+leone&fr=fptb-tyc-s&u=http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=igbo+slaves+in+sierra+leone&d=4784907360734182&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=a00d2913,cb46e84c&icp=1&.intl=us&sig=JQHdmOS0zqDjdqkEB8OkKA--

There's more btw, google it. wink

So we both can agree this is crap.

Same can be said about the Ika and Ikwerre because the Apoi-IJAW are an Ijaw clan, not a yoruba clan. Ika and Ikwere are Igbo clans. wink

Haba! tongue

grin grin grin grin grin

that is why i like discussing with u, funny man grin grin grin grin grin grin i sha no go gree grin grin grin grin grin grin (seriously laughing)

really i have nothing to say. Yes igbos are the most populous group OR atleast more than the yorubas smiley

atleast we ended up laughing insisted of insulting each other as andre was about taking it to.

Ok brother I did 4 analysis in the previous pages

1&2 showing yorubas are more than igbos

3 showing hausa/fulani there the most populous group in nigeria

4 igbos are more than yorubas.

either way we can agree to disagree brother grin cheesy cheesy and that is how Nl is meant to be.

lastly i don't want to go inot this ika ikwerre thing as this would make andre and I enemies for life smiley i would give him today
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by Abagworo(m): 12:18am On Aug 17, 2011
@alj harem.I suspect you are just having a good time by starring up controversial assertions and arcastically proving them to get at Igbos.We can get hints on population distribution through primary schools especially among the Yoruba and Igbo who genarally revere education.So anyone with ethnic composition of primary schools in Lagos can actually give us a credible source.I taught in a secondary school during my youth service in 06 Osun State and Igbos were too many in my school.I still have my register here and there is 18% Igbo population.Out of 87 students in ss1,I have 16 Igbos and 3 Urhobos,0 hausa,0 Ijaw,0Edo,0 Fulani and 0Kanuri.

Any other person with such information should share with us.At least those still serving now.
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by aljharem3: 12:28am On Aug 17, 2011
Oh yes before I go Odumchi

it does not matter which has the highest population, lets say tomorrow an ethnic census is done and igbos happen to be 70% of nigeria population, What would it add or take away from igbos. Nothing

Now we are 1 Nation and that is what matter. all this ( we have more igbos in edo than edo themselves) would not help the country.

or 60% of lagos is igbo, 40-50% of kano and kaduna is igbo etc would not help this country grow

we say we want to remove tribalism from this country, First thing is to stop all this counting everysingle igbo ideology

for what profit does it give u

even the so called hausa/fulani or 28% and yoruba of 21%, what have they achieved for this country. Nothing

there are more yorubas in Uk but more igbos in usa  grin grin grin i dey laff o. as if that is an achievement. it just shows us that but yorubas and igbos are suffering very much in nigeria. I mean why do they migrate to those countries if not that Nigeria is like hell for them

whether ika,ikwerre etc are igbos or apoi ijaw, itsekiri etc are yoruba is not material at all as it would not improve the lives of a common igbo man or common yoruba man

if igbos are 70% of lagos and indeed this country and there is no killing then it is a very good sign that Nigeria is getting better/detribalised.

I see no problem in this undecided maybe very soon igbos would be 90%, who knows but telling us how populous u are by assumsions and guess work is not the way to go about things

if the yorubas or hausa/fulani use the same method, you would be the first to stop them.

I am not saying this alone for NL igbos but all the igbos out there.
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by aljharem3: 12:29am On Aug 17, 2011
Abagworo:

@alj harem.I suspect you are just having a good time by starring up controversial assertions and arcastically proving them to get at Igbos.We can get hints on population distribution through primary schools especially among the Yoruba and Igbo who genarally revere education.So anyone with ethnic composition of primary schools in Lagos can actually give us a credible source.I taught in a secondary school during my youth service in 06 Osun State and Igbos were too many in my school.I still have my register here and there is 18% Igbo population.Out of 87 students in ss1,I have 16 Igbos and 3 Urhobos,0 hausa,0 Ijaw,0Edo,0 Fulani and 0Kanuri.

Any other person with such information should share with us.At least those still serving now.

lol OK brother.
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by aljharem3: 1:01am On Aug 17, 2011
Abagworo:

on the second thought i would say that is a very very wrong way of analysis

i mean are u aware of the migratry effect igbos do every christmas , new year, easter and census

The last census u need to see how alaba, sabon gari was cleared, lagos state lost millions not becasue of igbos but because after the census they would share this money on the people that are coming back.

again migratiry effect is another reason.

this is after all the igbos from the country went back to the SE for counting

take ur try and read this

http://www.nigeria-planet.com/nig_census_lagos_n_igbo.html
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by odumchi: 1:02am On Aug 17, 2011
[b]@ Alj Harem

This thread is getting very redundant. I thought we already moved ahea dof the Yoruba greater than Igbo debate? I thought we already had this thread finished? So Alj Harem why are you bringing up these things again? What are you to gain from posting false information, dabbling your head in matters that do not concern you, and claiming to be a good Muslim?

First of All. Let the Ikwerre/ Ika conversation rest. These people are Igbo whether you like it or not. You as an outsider have no reason to meddle in the affairs of another people. Seriously, I really do not give a rats behind about who's Yoruba or not, or the internal problems of the Yoruba, but when Igbo is mentioned its like a free for all: everyone thinks they can come and speak as they like. That needs to be stopped.

Secondly, the amount of non-Igbo people in Igboland does not reach 50,000. Igboland is the second most densly populate dplace in Africa after the Nile valley whether you like it or not. There are also in excess of 40 million Igbos in Nigeria.

Thirdly, I dont really care what percentage of Lagos Igbos are as long as the 7.3 million Igbos in Lagos are recognized. Focus on the thread. Your contributions are no longer needed since you cant seem to come up with anything reasonable.[/b]
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by aljharem3: 1:18am On Aug 17, 2011
odumchi:

[b]@ Alj Harem

This thread is getting very redundant. I thought we already moved ahea dof the Yoruba greater than Igbo debate? I thought we already had this thread finished? So Alj Harem why are you bringing up these things again? What are you to gain from posting false information, dabbling your head in matters that do not concern you, and claiming to be a good Muslim?

First of All. Let the Ikwerre/ Ika conversation rest. These people are Igbo whether you like it or not. You as an outsider have no reason to meddle in the affairs of another people. Seriously, I really do not give a rats behind about who's Yoruba or not, or the internal problems of the Yoruba, but when Igbo is mentioned its like a free for all: everyone thinks they can come and speak as they like. That needs to be stopped.

Secondly, the amount of non-Igbo people in Igboland does not reach 50,000. Igboland is the second most densly populate dplace in Africa after the Nile valley whether you like it or not. There are also in excess of 40 million Igbos in Nigeria.

Thirdly, I dont really care what percentage of Lagos Igbos are as long as the 7.3 million Igbos in Lagos are recognized. Focus on the thread. Your contributions are no longer needed since you cant seem to come up with anything reasonable.[/b]

SMH

andre is saying 4 million

ohaneze is saying 40-60%

you are saying 7.3 million

lagos and the people of lagos are saying there were no single igbos in the state duing he count that is why u are putting burden on the state after the migration back

So according to u an andre, I should accept the falsehood u are feeding people without facts

REALLY I PITY NIGERIA cry cry with people like u, andre and ohaneze

can u please tell us where u got the 7.3 million from ?

enough of this nonsense, To Nigerians out there

Please and please do not believe this rubbish of billions of igbo crap all over the internet
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by aljharem3: 1:32am On Aug 17, 2011
quote from odumchi

Thirdly, I dont really care what percentage of Lagos Igbos are as long as the 7.3 million Igbos in Lagos are recognized. Focus on the thread.

u say igboland is the most densly populated after nile which i agree

then u say igbos are 7.3 million in lagos, thus almost twice the most densly populated state of anambra of 4.2 million

lagos state is 9 million thus we have 1.7 million other nigerians left in lagos

thus lagos is an igbo speaking enivrnment/pidgn language

i dey laff o, read is see how stu.pid u sound undecided ( no insult intended but this is just some stu.pid analysis)

abagworo say 18% of osun is igbo from 1 school he assumed that figure.

during 2006 census it was recorded how igbos left the north and SW for the east to inflate there numbers even my neighbour who has spent 20 or more years with me did the same with his 5 children and wife.

yet u expect to beive that even after the migration that ere are still 70% igbos in lagos yet lagos is still a yoruba speaking enivronment

Unbelievable cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by odumchi: 1:34am On Aug 17, 2011
You've shown your true colors. No longer the "I love everyone" act abi? Now you've fallen back to tribalist well well, no be so? I just said that wont be debated on this thread. There is another thread on NL in which the 2006 census of Lagos was contucted and out of 17 million Igbo was 43%. That has already been debated, and pages upon pages have been created, that wont be debated again. Feel free to look it up.

What do you know about Ohaneze? I doubt you know anything muvch about them. This is what I'm talking about. Ohaneze isnt your problem, it isnt your organization, so dont worry about it. Dont worry about anything other than yourself, our people and etc. I think your half life of relevance on this thread has expired.

alj_harem:

SMH

ohaneze is saying 40-60%

you are saying 7.3 million

lagos and the people of lagos are saying there were no single igbos in the state duing he count that is why u are putting burden on the state after the migration back

So according to u an andre, I should accept the falsehood u are feeding people without facts

REALLY I PITY NIGERIA cry cry with people like u, andre and ohaneze

can u please tell us where u got the 7.3 million from ?

enough of this nonsense, To Nigerians out there

Please and please do not believe this rubbish of billions of igbo crap all over the internet
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by aljharem3: 1:45am On Aug 17, 2011
odumchi:

You've shown your true colors. No longer the "I love everyone" act abi? Now you've fallen back to tribalist well well, no be so? I just said that wont be debated on this thread. There is another thread on NL in which the 2006 census of Lagos was contucted and out of 17 million Igbo was 43%. That has already been debated, and pages upon pages have been created, that wont be debated again. Feel free to look it up.

What do you know about Ohaneze? I doubt you know anything muvch about them. This is what I'm talking about. Ohaneze isnt your problem, it isnt your organization, so dont worry about it. Dont worry about anything other than yourself, our people and etc. I think your half life of relevance on this thread has expired.
[/b]

what true colour is there any tribalism in my post or did i insult any group

I am happy u said we have discuss this over an over again

Now the cencus said lagos is 9 million

ohaneze is saying lagos is 18-19 million grin grin grin

lagos and indeed all lagosians are saying igbos traveled to the east back for census which Obi Nwakanma comfimed

Ohaneze is saying even in that 43% is igbo

while u are saying 7.3 million

NOW MY QUESTION IS

What should I believe, there are so many figure and i have analysis each one

OR should i not object to such figures if they are wrong

AGAIN I DON'T CARE IF IGBOS ARE THE MOST POPULOUS IN AFRICA AND INDEED THE WORLD

what does that profit me or you.

All i am asking is where are you people getting this figures from

Have ohanez or andre or you done an ethnic cencus in Nigeria and IF YES CAN U SCAN A COPY SO WE CAN SEE.

all this guess work does not cut it for me. and u can not I should not object to very wrong numbers all in the name "i don't want to be called a tribalist"

If U ARE HONEST with urself the u would see there is no tribalism in my discussion
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by aljharem3: 1:50am On Aug 17, 2011
if u notice, no hausa or yoruba person is discussing on this thread because they know you people would get all angry and start call them tribalist if they do not agree with you.

I though we were mature enough to have a good discussion without all this name labeling and fake numbers with facts to back it up, but then again I am labeled a bad Muslim and a tribalist for saying the Numbers don't add up undecided

na wa for una o
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by Abagworo(m): 2:38am On Aug 17, 2011
alj_harem:

abagworo say 18% of osun is igbo from 1 school he assumed that figure.

Watch what you write, for this is an open forum and your psychological stability might be in doubt.I only said 18% in my register of only 87 ss1 students.I never claimed Igbos are 18% of the school itself not to talk of Osun.I however suggested that we could get random population distribution by gathering information from as much primary schools(not secondary) as possible.
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by tpia5: 2:46am On Aug 17, 2011
^^must be a relatively recent thing, like i pointed out before.
Re: The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? by aljharem3: 10:35am On Aug 17, 2011
Abagworo:

Watch what you write, for this is an open forum and your psychological stability might be in doubt.I only said 18% in my register of only 87 ss1 students.I never claimed Igbos are 18% of the school itself not to talk of Osun.I however suggested that we could get random population distribution by gathering information from as much primary schools(not secondary) as possible.

sorry my mistake. smiley

ok how do u intend to use such information ?

1. schools and educationa institutions cause migration. for example shagamu schools in ogun state and after every hoilday, event or census, there parents are quick to take them back to the east.

that can not be a good analitical tool.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

UN Warns Britain Over Child Voodoo Rituals, P.edophile Sex Tourists / 5 Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About The Efik People / Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 187
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.