Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,802 members, 7,956,056 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:46 PM

Ron Paul: An Honest Man - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ron Paul: An Honest Man (1346 Views)

What Do You Think About Presidential Candidate Ron Paul? / Africa For Ron Paul 2012 / The Economy - Ron Paul & Peter Joseph (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ron Paul: An Honest Man by preselect(m): 4:06am On Aug 12, 2011
I disagree with his tax policy, small govt policy, etc. But this guy is honest, consistent and plain.

Since Obama is now a republican, I might as well say Ron Paul is my favorite republican and if it were possible, he will get my vote.
Re: Ron Paul: An Honest Man by montelik(m): 3:12pm On Aug 12, 2011
@Pres. Don't put faith in any politicians, most of them will end up disappointing you.
Re: Ron Paul: An Honest Man by ADM1(m): 5:18pm On Aug 12, 2011
Listen to montelik. He or she speaks the truth.
Re: Ron Paul: An Honest Man by JeSoul(f): 8:32pm On Aug 12, 2011
pres-elect:

I disagree with his tax policy, small govt policy, etc. But this guy is honest, consistent and plain.
  On this I think you're absolutely right. During a timeout from the Patriots game last night I stumbled onto his sermon during the republican debate and I agree he does honestly believe the things he was saying . . .

. . . now whether what he was saying honestly makes total sense grin grin is a whole nother issue.

Since Obama is now a republican, I might as well say Ron Paul is my favorite republican and if it were possible, he will get my vote.
Stop kidding yourself. Obama is more Liberal than Michael Moore's leftist cousin. He's simply finding out that by and large, America as a country leans to the right and will resist idealistic notions we should adopt the european way  of doing business - especially when we're looking at europe and seeing many of those ideals failing.
Re: Ron Paul: An Honest Man by preselect(m): 11:04pm On Aug 12, 2011
Montelik
you're right though. Can't trust any of 'em. But there is something in Ron Paul that is not ordinary.

Jesoul
Ron Paul's policies don't make sense to me ( his foreign policy does) but I sure do connect with his style. He speaks from his heart, truth hurts and politicians don't like it but Paul says the truth as he sees it and it hurts his campaign and yet he continues.

I'm not interested in their policies though. Obama taught me a lesson. Character us more important than what they are saying. And here again I must confess some respect for tea party folks. Those guys did their campaign, came to DC and voted as they campaigned. Even those in swing districts. They didn't care if the lost elections. Love them or hate them, they showed character. Unlike Obama.
Re: Ron Paul: An Honest Man by TayoD1(m): 11:30pm On Aug 12, 2011
@topic,

OMG!!!! Is pres-elect finally seeing the light?!!! shocked
Re: Ron Paul: An Honest Man by redsun(m): 12:04pm On Aug 13, 2011
In today:s world, any elected neo nazi(TP-RP) president in america will activate a catastrophic 3 world war that will see no victor and no end. With their conservative,static,zombie and primitive line of thinking,they wont realize d world has changed and that it shld be thread on carefully and equitably. If i am not mistaking,is this not d same ron that was recently telling some gang of redneck supporters that corporations do far too much for common people than they realize. Even his supporters booed him for those devilish utterances. Nazis offsprings
Re: Ron Paul: An Honest Man by havoc37(m): 4:36am On Aug 18, 2011
Ron Paul is the only sane and honest politician we have.
Re: Ron Paul: An Honest Man by preselect(m): 3:53am On Sep 13, 2011
I always enjoy listening to Ron Paul. Even though his domestic policy is a disaster of monumental proportions unfit for an animal farm( great foreign policy though) I must confess that I see his speaking from his heart. And he's consistent.

However, permit me to recongnize another person I noticed. Rick Perry. He stood by his apparently benign policy towards the Latinos. I wouldn't expect that from a tea partier. And of course he was hammered for it. Lol. But he maintained his Latino policy( I hear Texas is full of Latinos, and that it actually belonged to Mexico). He also tried to vaccinate young girls against HPV. Great idea. Only in America will such a noble policy be criticized. And he apologized for doing the right thing. Am I missing something?
Re: Ron Paul: An Honest Man by TayoD1(m): 4:29am On Sep 13, 2011
@Pres-elect,

What time is it in Darfur that you stayed up to watch the "evil" Republicans display that awesome evilness on T.V.?  Your insatiable crush on these bunch of evil doers makes you a big suspect o.

I always enjoy listening to Ron Paul. Even though his domestic policy is a disaster of monumental proportions unfit for an animal farm( great foreign policy though) I must confess that I see his speaking from his heart. And he's consistent.
How come you do not like his domestic policy even though you agree with the foreign one?  Think about it, is there an inconsistent application of basic principles he espoused in his foreign policy when compared to the domestic one?  One of you must have disconnected from the principle that bound you together in terms of the foreign policy.  I dare say you are the one that must have compromised that principle as it applies to domestic issues.

However, permit me to recongnize another person I noticed. Rick Perry. He stood by his apparently benign policy towards the Latinos. I wouldn't expect that from a tea partier.
Is that statement in bold meant to be a joke?  Don't tell me you have grown to believe the mass misinformation that the left-wing media have been propagating all along.  Latinos, Blacks, White or Yellow, a conservative does not distinguish between people.  All must be treated equally and left to themselves to determine their outcomes.

And of course he was hammered for it. Lol. But he maintained his Latino policy( I hear Texas is full of Latinos, and that it actually belonged to Mexico).
Go get your history books.  Texas no more belongs to Mexico as Alaska to Russia.

He also tried to vaccinate young girls against HPV. Great idea. Only in America will such a noble policy be criticized. And he apologized for doing the right thing. Am I missing something?
Yeah.  There is a right way to go about an issue and a wrong way.  Perry was man enough to admit with the benefit of hindsight that he shouldn't have used an executive order to circumvent what should have been a legislative action.  As some pointed out, he should have given parents an alternative to "opt-in" instead of "opting-out".

I did enjoy the debate tonight though.  I think all the candidates did very well.  Irrespective of who is eventually selected from that field, my vote will not be going to Obama.
Re: Ron Paul: An Honest Man by Nobody: 5:55am On Sep 13, 2011
Ron Paul implied that anyone who opted out of health insurance should face consequences, even if it's death. Since when were people so cruel? During the debate, Wolf Blitzer asked him about the hypothetical man in question, "so you mean the man should die, even if he's in coma?" People in the crowds started applauding and screaming "YES", and Ron Paul said "freedom comes with its risks". And he's Christian right? Ask him if Jesus would agree and he and anyone in support of that statement will run around the question. Republicans are pro-life when it suits them aka when money is not involved. "No abortions! We can't take precious life!" but we can't afford to keep this 30 year old man alive because he had the choice of paying for himself and didn't. "No abortions! There are services out there to help with the child when it's born!" but reduce welfare because we can't keep paying for these single, dependent mothers who keep popping out babies. It makes plenty of sense *sarcasm*

Yes, I'm glad Ron Paul said the truth: terrorists did not attack us for reasons of freedoms and Christianity. However, he basically admitted that anyone without insurance can die. I don't want a president with that mindset.

@pres-elect, I can't believe you said "I must confess some respect for tea party folks". They're responsible for the S&P downgrade. They will make you and I suffer all in the name of not pushing their agenda, but stalling Washington and getting President Obama out of office. I blame CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC SO MUCH for making that useless party relevant. Any kind of agenda they have makes no sense and they have the nerve to call President Obama radical. They need their own planet or country. I will never forget when Michele Bachmann was still leading them, after one of the first GOP debates before she announced candidacy. They asked her to evaluate the debate and she whipped out charts, saying the economy has been on decline since democrats took over in 2006. She also said gas was below $2 when Barack Obama took office. Bloody lie. Anyone who takes me for a daft, and anyone supporting that someone, who happens to be leading them, who takes me for a daft cannot have my respect.

The eight standing on the podiums during the debate, I'm left to believe, represent the death panel to which Sarah Palin was constantly referring. They were referencing to President Obama's tenure as the "Obama Depression". They need to go back and read history as what we're enduring now is definitely not a depression. Their foolish followers will believe it is. They like to be told what they want to hear, whether it's true or not.

Death panel of members all sounding like broken records. For every question, they answer the following:

Herman Cain: "That's why I suggested my 999 Plan."
Jon Huntsman: "That's a treasonous comment."
Newt Gingrich: . . .wait, I don't remember what he says because he hardly says anything.
Ron Paul: "I can save money."
Mitt Romney: "We need someone to [insert positive politics here]. I'm that guy."
Michele Bachmann: "I'LL REPEAL OBAMACARE!" or "I have three beautiful children".
Rick Santorum: "I come from a family of Italian immigrants."
Rick Perry: "It's a ponzi scheme!" or "I'll let the states decide." <---- He'll make the laziest president mind you. With everything being up to the states, there won't be much work left for federal government lol.

All of them against taxing. If they want to be free of tax, I will gladly work my butt off for the next how many months to send them first class to Nigeria. We'll see whether or not they like taxing again.
Re: Ron Paul: An Honest Man by preselect(m): 1:03pm On Sep 13, 2011
@oguguo88
my respect foebthe tea party is in their style, not substance. These folks campaigned in 2010 on no tax, cut spending etc. They came to congress and did just that. Even at the risk of destroying the nation during the debt ceiling debate. Even when it became so unpopular, even at risk of loosing re-election( For those from swing districts). They stood by their theory. If Obama should loose in 2012, he has only one person to blame- Obama. These folks had 60 seats in the senate, huge majority in the house, goodwill of majority of Americans. What did he do? He came to washington to preach unity. Is he Jesus? Washington has been divided since 1789. Leaders go there and push an agenda. He went there to puh for bipartisanship, and lost a significant portion of his base. But the tea partier are fighters. If you are one of them, you'll be assured that your congressman will fight for you to the end even on pain of political death. That is where my admiration for them lies.

As for Ron paul, this guy speaks from his heart. I don't agree with his domestic policy but he say some truths about foreign policy.

@tayo
no need to debate you on policy. But as for history, read my post again, I said Texas BELONGED to Mexico. You even highlighted it. I didn't say it belongs, but BELONGED. And your analogy is faulty bc while Alaska was negotiated( and perhaps paid for) with the Russians, Texas was taken by force. Arizona was paid for, but many parts of the south west USA was acquired by intimidation.

And yes, I strongly believe there is something evil about the republicans. In the first debate the loudest applause came when execution of over 200 people in Texas was mentioned. And yesterday they get excited when a question is asked about a man dying. What kind of people are these? I understand when people are mean, the bible said the hearts of man was perpetually evil, but what gets me crazy is when these evil people claim God. And when people like Ron Paul and Eric Cantor feel that
those affected by the hurricane should be on their own without FEMA assistance.

And as for being awake, well, I'm in Ohio now. Came to visit my Dad with whom I've been enstranged for about 2yrs now when I rejected a proud silly Virginia girl he badly wanted me to marry. By this time next week I'm in Owerri. Go get me some ugba and okporoko. God save me from evil
Re: Ron Paul: An Honest Man by TayoD1(m): 12:05am On Sep 14, 2011
@pres-elect,

no need to debate you on policy. But as for history, read my post again, I said Texas BELONGED to Mexico. You even highlighted it. I didn't say it belongs, but BELONGED. And your analogy is faulty bc while Alaska was negotiated( and perhaps paid for) with the Russians, Texas was taken by force. Arizona was paid for, but many parts of the south west USA was acquired by intimidation.
My bad.  You actually used the word in a past tense. 

And yes, I strongly believe there is something evil about the republicans. In the first debate the loudest applause came when execution of over 200 people in Texas was mentioned.
What is there not to applaud knowing that 200 sadistic killers have received their just rewards? Even the Bible teaches the principle of "an eye for an eye", meaning the punishment for a crime must not be unusual and cruel and must measure up to the crime.  The people who are executed are those who have deprived others of their lives too and I won't let anybody make me feel bad that they have been killed and are still being lined up to face the consequences of their actions.

And yesterday they get excited when a question is asked about a man dying. What kind of people are these?
What got them applauding was when Paul was asked if this people should be left to reap the fruits of their actions.  Mind you, the question was framed to reflect the hypothetical person's deliberate decision to weigh the consequences of his actions, and yet go through with it.  Are we trying to build a society were no one should be responsible for their actions?

I understand when people are mean, the bible said the hearts of man was perpetually evil, but what gets me crazy is when these evil people claim God. And when people like Ron Paul and Eric Cantor feel that those affected by the hurricane should be on their own without FEMA assistance.
Why do you chose to ignore what these folks are saying for sensational interpretations to cast them in a bad light?  Ron Paul's reference to FEMA is that the government's continued bankrolling of FEMA is what has led to the irresponsible behavior by home owners and developers.  Private insurance companies wisely shy away from offering insurance to people who ignore the geographical reality of where they choose to build their homes.  The govt on the other hand, through FEMA writes such insurance to people thereby encouraging reckless risk to lives and properties.  This is what Ron Paul is about.  He does not begrudge you if you choose to build your house on an active volcano, however, do not expect me to risk my life and my treasure to come and save you and your family when the volcano erupts.  This is freedom, undermined by actions and consequences.

This same principle is reflected in the housing meltdown. Private mortgage companies would otherwise not make loans to a lot of people whom they consider at risk. Enter the govt again to tell them certain percentages of their loans have to be made out to these individuals even though it does not make any financial sense. All these were done in the name of compassion and social justice. What did we get in return? The housing bubble, unprecedented foreclosures and the near collapse of the economy because of this stupidity cloaked in humanitarianism.

And as for being awake, well, I'm in Ohio now. Came to visit my Dad with whom I've been enstranged for about 2yrs now when I rejected a proud silly Virginia girl he badly wanted me to marry. By this time next week I'm in Owerri. Go get me some ugba and okporoko. God save me from evil
Hope you had a great family reunion.  When will your travels take you to Darfur sef?
Re: Ron Paul: An Honest Man by armyofone(m): 1:38am On Sep 14, 2011
Ron Paul would prefer an adult who doesn't have health insurance be left to die because to him, it is the beauty of freedom undecided
now why are republicans bothered about Planned Parenthood doing abortion? isn't it also the beauty of freedom?

Tayo, please help me here
Re: Ron Paul: An Honest Man by TayoD1(m): 3:11am On Sep 14, 2011
@armyofone,

Ron Paul would prefer an adult who doesn't have health insurance be left to die
Really, where and how did you get that impression? Did you listen to his response at all at the debate? Did you hear how he said he used to provide free health services to people via the medium of the Church and that they never turn anyone away?

because to him, it is the beauty of freedom
Actually it is freedom. You are free to choose whatever you want to do with your life as long as you understand that there are consequences to your actions. You have the freedom to go rob a bank, but be ready to face the music if caught. The DNC that claims to be the party of science should start by emphasizing Newton's first law of motion: "To every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction". In layman's terms - every action has consequences.

now why are republicans bothered about Planned Parenthood doing abortion? isn't it also the beauty of freedom?
No that is not freedom. Your freedom ends where mine begins. In other words, the woman's freedom/right over her body can be expressed so long as she does no harm to the baby. Similarly, your expression of your freedom is limitless so long as it does not infringe on the rights/freedom of others. Got it?

Tayo, please help me here
I believe I have.
Re: Ron Paul: An Honest Man by Nobody: 7:04am On Sep 14, 2011
Tayo-D:
@pres-elect,
What got them applauding was when Paul was asked if this people should be left to reap the fruits of their actions.  Mind you, the question was framed to reflect the hypothetical person's deliberate decision to weigh the consequences of his actions, and yet go through with it.  Are we trying to build a society were no one should be responsible for their actions?

The bolded is not true at all. Wolf Blitzer asked Ron Paul if the 30 year old man should be left to die. The crowd applauded and some were shouting "YEAH!"

Republicans believe in circumstantial freedom. Freedom as long as their pockets are not involved.
Re: Ron Paul: An Honest Man by TayoD1(m): 11:38am On Sep 14, 2011
@ogugua,

The bolded is not true at all. Wolf Blitzer asked Ron Paul if the 30 year old man should be left to die. The crowd applauded and some were shouting "YEAH!"
You go back and watch again. I think only just 2 people shouted Yeah, and the applause was muted. But then again, why should we deny someone the right to commit suicide? I don't mind Islamists committing suicide bombings. The problem I have is when they impact someone else.

Republicans believe in circumstantial freedom. Freedom as long as their pockets are not involved.
Wy should anyone's exercise of freedom affect my pocket? You are free to exercise your right to anything as long as you do not draw me into your action against my will.

And by the way, the fact is that conservatives are far more generous with their money than Liberals.
Re: Ron Paul: An Honest Man by JeSoul(f): 3:57pm On Sep 14, 2011
Anytime I hear a soundbite on TV or radio or whatever, my wise husband always reminds that we should wait to listen to the whole clip because media houses are notorious for cutting & clipping soundbites in order to elicit sensational responses . . .

What was the totality of what Ron Paul said? lets have a listen:

[flash=500,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Ur3DGjTuY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="345" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>[/flash]

Listening to EVERYTHING he had to say, I find no cause for all the brouhaha. The media and highlight reelers forgot to include the part where he said he has never and would never turn anyone away who needed help - churches, organizations, private donors, our neighbors would step in - instead of depending on the government, which quickly turns into a bureaucracy, enter special-interests, enter insurance companies, enter drug companies etc etc. This is true and is part reason why insurance premiums keep going up year after year.

Look, the American way is freedom to do whatever the heck you want - and deal with the consequences. Anyone who doesn't like it can move to North Korea grin.
Re: Ron Paul: An Honest Man by JeSoul(f): 4:01pm On Sep 14, 2011
And oh . . . as for the 'tea partiers' screaming "yeah" to let the uninsured guy die . . . if you listen carefully to the video, it was only 2 people who screamed 'yeah' and everyone else seemed to collectively grunt their displeasure and disagreement at those two people. Listen to the clip people. And later on John King's show, one tea party leader (forget her name now) in the strongest of terms condemned the outburst.

So its not fair or even accurate for that matter to attribute such a position to ALL tea party members.

Cheerios smiley
Re: Ron Paul: An Honest Man by preselect(m): 5:14pm On Sep 14, 2011
@tayo
good to know you acknowledged your error in the Texas history.
I've watched the clip again, in the second debate it was a few voices that said YES( the hypothetical man should die). But in the first debate it was a chilling applause, the loudest in the night, when execution was mentioned.

As for darfur, i'm going to concentrate on contributing financially to charities that give to darfur. Since I won't give any more dime to any politician again. I would have loved to help in darfur, but when I mentioned joining doctors without borders to help in then war torn Sierra leone, family members freaked out. Lol. So for now I'm focussing on sending money and not actually going to darfur( also I'm working on a relationship in the UK grin ,  lol, She'll disapprove of any move to darfur. it's about time I forgot my two failed relationships and move on cool )
Re: Ron Paul: An Honest Man by montelik(m): 6:25pm On Sep 14, 2011
JeSoul:

Anytime I hear a soundbite on TV or radio or whatever, my wise husband always reminds that we should wait to listen to the whole clip because media houses are notorious for cutting & clipping soundbites in order to elicit sensational responses . . .

What was the totality of what Ron Paul said? lets have a listen:

[flash=500,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Ur3DGjTuY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="345" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>[/flash]

Listening to EVERYTHING he had to say, I find no cause for all the brouhaha. The media and highlight reelers forgot to include the part where he said he has never and would never turn anyone away who needed help - churches, organizations, private donors, our neighbors would step in - instead of depending on the government, which quickly turns into a bureaucracy, enter special-interests, enter insurance companies, enter drug companies etc etc. This is true and is part reason why insurance premiums keep going up year after year.

Look, the American way is freedom to do whatever the heck you want - and deal with the consequences. Anyone who doesn't like it can move to North Korea grin.

No need to go that far. Just head to Florida and take d boat to Cuba or even head to Venezuela. grin

(1) (Reply)

LGBTQ: Thousands attend Jerusalem's annual Pride Parade / Russia, China And 10 Others To Hold Military Exercises In The "Backyard" Of USA / Gaddafi Write A Letter To Obama: 'to My Dear Obama, Our Son'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.