Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,020 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:14 PM

How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? (14104 Views)

Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada / 8 Things You Need To Survive As A Banker / Can A Graduate Survive With N50,000 Salary A Month? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by Brushstrokes20: 4:54pm On Sep 19, 2022
Quite apt and interesting piece!...
It's one hell of a journey but against all odds,
There's a silver lining beyond the dark clouds cool

1 Like

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by smile4kenn(m): 4:55pm On Sep 19, 2022
Artbydris:
Whenever I meet someone new, one of the first questions I get is, "Are you making sales?"

I used to be quite taken aback by the question but I soon realised that the question is not out of place.

The world art market is a lopsided world which favours the established and known artists much more than the emerging and new artists. But in Nigeria, it is much worse. Like I stated in a TVC interview not too long ago, the Nigerian art industry is plagued by a general lack of appreciation for art.

The average Nigerian art lover who has many 'artworks' at home does not particularly care if the artwork in his living room is a printed picture randomly picked from the internet or a plagiarised piece of art. To the untrained eye, if it is a beautiful painting, pottery or sculpture, then it is art.

And for the people who have managed to develop techniques and styles way different from what is traditionally known, many are generally out of the conversation. Even the so called curators tend to relegate the works to the world of craft while others advice them to make 'sellable' art.

This puts so many artists jostling for sales to make more of the art types that sell, while many focus on painting celebrities to push their art. But are they to blame?

Now the problem with the so called sellable art is that the artist has endeavoured to water down the art of self expression, focusing mainly on what the audience wants to see and not necessarily what is right or true to him.

As it occurs, even the few who 'genuinely' love art will only agree to buy your best works for a fraction of the price you would sell them abroad, while praising your creativity and admiring the aesthetics.

The clamour for the return of Nigerian artefacts from foreign museums and collectors is a fine curtain that appears to highlight how much our artefacts are valued by us, but are they, really? History has it that many of the artefacts had to be dug up, does the fact that they were buried show how much they were valued by us? Or did we only start valuing them after they were taken from us? Do we even deserve these artworks other than for the reason that they are ours? Had they not been plundered and taken abroad, would we have eventually expressed the immense value that we have for them? Or would they still have been underground? That is left to be said.

If you are a Nigerian artist, I would love to know how easy you find traversing the Nigerian art terrain and how you manage to make sales and build an enviable life.

Nice one.

I repackaged your article and posted it here. Thanks
https://gist.am/question/surviving-as-an-artist-in-nigeria-how-do-you-find-a-market-that-appreciates-art
Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by spinna: 4:59pm On Sep 19, 2022
Nigeria is not very art friendly.. i

1 Like

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by Emperordynasty: 4:59pm On Sep 19, 2022
As for me my art is from above to do a service for mankind

Henry ford said, any business having a focus on service will have only one problem with profits, it will be embarrassingly high..

I hate doing conmissioned potrait art by the way..
I’m a highly inspired person, following the Nigerian
Draw portrait syndrome will be imprisonment for me...
Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by gladdensir(m): 5:00pm On Sep 19, 2022
Good evening nairalanders, I have been sitting and starving at home for awhile now because I have no work to do. And this seriously is depressing and making me think of things I would not like for myself. I am living in oke Andy ilorin, and I am an electrician by occupation, I've tried looking for messy work which is even out of the scope of my occupation but I am yet to find one. Please I'm begging anyone here that could be of help to please do. help a brother in need of work. You can reach me on +2349121162594 or on my email @ tpelumi202@gmail.com thanks.
Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by yungz: 5:10pm On Sep 19, 2022
socialmediaman:
The internet is your gem. They created NFTs for artists and artistes so that should be a great way to go global!

you still need a lot of money to mint nft on ethereum network. They should face the reality, being an artist is not a sustainable career especially in this part of the world.
Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by dopedan(m): 5:38pm On Sep 19, 2022
Awesomeking:
just because its hard doesn't mean you shouldnt try
U know wen to give up bros
Starving artist is in the dictionary for a reason
Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by VULCAN(m): 5:47pm On Sep 19, 2022
I'm sure you are being sarcastic because the OP isn't referring to music artiste.

I don't want to believe you don't know the difference between an artist and an artiste

JustStupidity:
Nah God

Initially when I started, it wasn't easy for me.
If I look back, I still remember yesterday, the sleepless nights, struggles and obstacles encountered.

But I thank God for today, I thank God for the fame, money and all my achievements.

Last year I won Amvca award and last two year my music went global in which Davido, Phyno and some other musicians had to contact me for them to partner with me in my music career.

Once again, thanks op for bringing this kind of topic alive
Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by MilitantAtheist: 5:59pm On Sep 19, 2022
It's not been easy but location and concept influences it, depends on the location and the concept the artist is painting. This Mora painting of Bruce and Soyinka.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by melody91: 6:24pm On Sep 19, 2022
socialmediaman:
The internet is your gem. They created NFTs for artists and artistes so that should be a great way to go global!
mtchew , like it's that easy undecided
Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by Streetmovement(m): 6:38pm On Sep 19, 2022
Wotoporiously cool speaking

Some professions are under-appreciated in Nigeria, if you wanna make it in any profession at all try your best to study your environment to know if it suites what you're doing or not, if not you try and migrate to where you get appreciated for what you do, now that's how you make moolah by working smart.
Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by yinkbell: 6:39pm On Sep 19, 2022
If your art work is static, then make it dynamic. Give life to your art work; Learn the Skill of animation.
Watch your work getting more attention than the static art work!
Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by Coolguy34(m): 6:44pm On Sep 19, 2022
JustStupidity:
Nah God

Initially when I started, it wasn't easy for me.
If I look back, I still remember yesterday, the sleepless nights, struggles and obstacles encountered.

But I thank God for today, I thank God for the fame, money and all my achievements.

Last year I won Amvca award and last two year my music went global in which Davido, Phyno and some other musicians had to contact me for them to partner with me in my music career.

Once again, thanks op for bringing this kind of topic alive
Guy calm down
Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Sep 19, 2022
Art is not appreciated in Nigeria. Just like other professions. Artists starve in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by socialmediaman: 7:21pm On Sep 19, 2022
yungz:

you still need a lot of money to mint nft on ethereum network. They should face the reality, being an artist is not a sustainable career especially in this part of the world.

The Nigerians making millions selling NFTs how many heads do they have?

1 Like

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by socialmediaman: 7:23pm On Sep 19, 2022
melody91:
mtchew , like it's that easy undecided

You want easy money? As in, the one plucked from trees?

1 Like

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by melody91: 7:28pm On Sep 19, 2022
socialmediaman:

You want easy money? As in, the one plucked from trees?
ehn na
Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by Michaeltwealth: 7:57pm On Sep 19, 2022
What da fk was that interview pic for grin grin
Artbydris:
Whenever I meet someone new, one of the first questions I get is, "Are you making sales?"

I used to be quite taken aback by the question but I soon realised that the question is not out of place.

The world art market is a lopsided world which favours the established and known artists much more than the emerging and new artists. But in Nigeria, it is much worse. Like I stated in a TVC interview not too long ago, the Nigerian art industry is plagued by a general lack of appreciation for art.

The average Nigerian art lover who has many 'artworks' at home does not particularly care if the artwork in his living room is a printed picture randomly picked from the internet or a plagiarised piece of art. To the untrained eye, if it is a beautiful painting, pottery or sculpture, then it is art.

And for the people who have managed to develop techniques and styles way different from what is traditionally known, many are generally out of the conversation. Even the so called curators tend to relegate the works to the world of craft while others advice them to make 'sellable' art.

This puts so many artists jostling for sales to make more of the art types that sell, while many focus on painting celebrities to push their art. But are they to blame?

Now the problem with the so called sellable art is that the artist has endeavoured to water down the art of self expression, focusing mainly on what the audience wants to see and not necessarily what is right or true to him.

As it occurs, even the few who 'genuinely' love art will only agree to buy your best works for a fraction of the price you would sell them abroad, while praising your creativity and admiring the aesthetics.

The clamour for the return of Nigerian artefacts from foreign museums and collectors is a fine curtain that appears to highlight how much our artefacts are valued by us, but are they, really? History has it that many of the artefacts had to be dug up, does the fact that they were buried show how much they were valued by us? Or did we only start valuing them after they were taken from us? Do we even deserve these artworks other than for the reason that they are ours? Had they not been plundered and taken abroad, would we have eventually expressed the immense value that we have for them? Or would they still have been underground? That is left to be said.

If you are a Nigerian artist, I would love to know how easy you find traversing the Nigerian art terrain and how you manage to make sales and build an enviable life.

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by maxiart2(m): 9:00pm On Sep 19, 2022
A lot of artists are not valued and their works are less appreciated.
I create and sell more of my works as NFTs than commissions.
As a Nigerian artists , you need not to rely on art as your soul source of income especially the yet to be established artists.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by excell0001: 9:34pm On Sep 19, 2022
i am 3d artist for it's rough the last client from nigeria use me do turn table. so far I have moved my mind to more serious people who pay in dollar because I cannot can.

I am currently fine tuning my skill to full professional standard and building port folio which I have been awfully lazy at as per its my personal work and I back it up with teaching

a big shout out though to the foundation for multimediaand innovation in port harcourt an amazing team

1 Like

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by Wwwq: 10:43pm On Sep 19, 2022
Hmmm

1 Like

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by RussellRutherfo: 10:47pm On Sep 19, 2022
Nigeriaiscasted:
The artwork way I get na my picture frame and frames of pablo escobar

grin
Yahooboy.
Na Escobar be una model.
Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by Masterdazhem: 12:43am On Sep 20, 2022
Art meets crypto, NFT
Art is gold in this generation.
Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by Lamanii22(f): 6:20am On Sep 20, 2022
grin grin grin
BankyGee:
Wahala for who be artist o

Me don japa leave that thing tey tey.
It's underappreciated here.
Sometimes your portraits fit dey pity you seff.
I think nfts was created for you guys

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by SanusiOlaide(m): 7:32am On Sep 20, 2022
Well.....to me art is still a noble profession which I'm proud of. it is a profession meant for the elite and appreciated by the selected rich and exposed individuals which we still have many of them around to patronize the artist. Like I have client who love art so much that he has over 50pieces of my creative works in his building. Yes there are those who appreciate Art and can afford it.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by Babadem007: 7:38am On Sep 20, 2022
Just draw a celebrity and start praying that GOD should locate you, ....remember to put the picture of that person close to the road side, ..so he/she can see the pix...if not you will have ur self to blame....
Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by AbuAeesha: 10:27am On Sep 20, 2022
na pesin wey don belleful dey buy art.
hence,the customers are usually the rich and interested ones wch make up little fraction of the total population

1 Like

Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by Artbydris(m): 12:36am On Sep 21, 2022
Emperordynasty:
As for me my art is from above to do a service for mankind

Henry ford said, any business having a focus on service will have only one problem with profits, it will be embarrassingly high..

I hate doing conmissioned potrait art by the way..
I’m a highly inspired person, following the Nigerian
Draw portrait syndrome will be imprisonment for me...

Well said.
Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by Artbydris(m): 12:37am On Sep 21, 2022
SanusiOlaide:
Well.....to me art is still a noble profession which I'm proud of. it is a profession meant for the elite and appreciated by the selected rich and exposed individuals which we still have many of them around to patronize the artist. Like I have client who love art so much that he has over 50pieces of my creative works in his building. Yes there are those who appreciate Art and can afford it.

Very true sire.
Re: How Do You Survive As An Artist In Nigeria? by Artbydris(m): 12:38am On Sep 21, 2022
Babadem007:
Just draw a celebrity and start praying that GOD should locate you, ....remember to put the picture of that person close to the road side, ..so he/she can see the pix...if not you will have ur self to blame....

Funny man

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Johnspeak Uwangue: How Not To Get Sacked From Your Workplace / Feeling Jaded? Here's How To Make Lemonades Out Of Life's Lemons / 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.