Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,533 members, 7,837,039 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:04 PM

Anyone Tried United Airlines? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Anyone Tried United Airlines? (10536 Views)

Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% / Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” / United Airlines Launches Boeing 787 Dreamliner On Lagos-houston Route! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anyone Tried United Airlines? by Select(m): 1:59pm On Aug 23, 2011
Nice one!
Re: Anyone Tried United Airlines? by hydroking23(m): 3:06pm On Aug 23, 2011
I fly United all the time and they are great.  I Usually fly Lufthansa from Port harcourt to frankfurt and connect United to Chicago.

godfadda6:

Also as information, all those who think "these" airlines spray insecticide on their passengers, it is not their faults oh! ask our port health people, who wants the planes "disinfected", and you have to spray it at the low altitude, well luckily, United airlines does not spray our planes with passengers in it, disinfection is done somewhere in the states!

No airline is perfect, you must understand, the aviation business is so unpredictable and there are so many reasons why the things that happen, happen, but i just want anyone that has any bad experience should think about those times they had good experinces.

It's not easy to fly a metal, across the atlantic, 10hrs or more and land it without issues, ask the Lander brothers!

Are there any plans for direct flights to/from ORD (Chicago)??  That would be great for me!  United = 8/10
Re: Anyone Tried United Airlines? by MMM2(m): 3:33pm On Aug 23, 2011
just once and it waz cool.
Re: Anyone Tried United Airlines? by godfadda6(m): 3:51pm On Aug 23, 2011
@hydroking23, there are no plans yet to fly to ORD yet, though people know ORD is the hub of United, United has 3 other hubs in the US, and continental has 5 hubs combined the two airlines (UA and CO) have 9 hubs in the US.

IAD,ORD,SFO,SEA,IAH,EWR,LAX,DEN,CLE.

IAD-washington dulles
ORD- chicago 'ohare
SFO- san francisco
SEA - seattle
IAH - Huston texas
EWR- newark new jersey
LAX - los angeles
DEN - denver colorado
CLE - cleveland ohio.

Re: Anyone Tried United Airlines? by dramenda(f): 4:13pm On Aug 23, 2011
the best is quata air
Re: Anyone Tried United Airlines? by jerryben12: 4:48pm On Aug 23, 2011
Iberia will take you for the value of your money - cheap! cheap!! and cheap!!!.
*** People should stop flying all these expensive airlines to drive down their price. Why will someone fly BA, Lufthansa, KLM, AF United etc from LOS to ORD, JFK, IAD etc for more than $1800 on these airlines? Iberia will take you to these places for less than $1200.
*** These airlines fly to other countries like China for around $800. Why are they expensive to and from African countries?
Re: Anyone Tried United Airlines? by godfadda6(m): 5:18pm On Aug 23, 2011
@jerryben, it is expensive to fly to africa cos of the cost of jet A1 fuel which is always changing and fluctuating, then the tax charged varies according to country, so your ticket might be cheap but when you add up the cost of fuelling and taxes, YT, YR and others the cost of tickets will rise init?
Re: Anyone Tried United Airlines? by oncolor: 5:37pm On Aug 23, 2011
godfadda6:

@jerryben, it is expensive to fly to africa cos of the cost of jet A1 fuel which is always changing and fluctuating, then the tax charged varies according to country, so your ticket might be cheap but when you add up the cost of fuelling and taxes, YT, YR and others the cost of tickets will rise init?

I don't think that is the reason, it's more of a price and demand thing. The distance between the U.S and Australia is far greater than U.S and Nigeria but you still see cheaper direct flights to Australia compared to Nigeria.
Re: Anyone Tried United Airlines? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Aug 23, 2011
I don't like United Airlines. I don't like any airlines based in the US except for the domestic airlines, such as Southwest. Virgin America is fantastic as well. They're the best in my opinion. If you can take Lufthansa, British Airways, or Air France to the US, please do lol. American airline companies know absolutely nothing about customer service and comfort in comparison with their foreign counterparts. For some reason, all the American-based airlines I've used use OLD planes that make loud humming noises. I never feel comfortable on them. You'll be lucky if they have touchscreens on the back of the seats for you or headphone jacks. Lufthansa and Virgin have the best amenities from my experience. Personal DVD player, great food, great service, and the planes are in great shape. I was economy class on Virgin America from San Francisco to New York. Their economy class is ten times better than United Airlines' business and first class seats. If you see Virgin's first class, you'll scream. Omo see heaven.

United Airlines' planes, they must be from 1992 at most. I have been on United quite a few times and can verify that all the planes that I have been on have been old and made one funny noise like the buses in Surulere. The only long delay I've had was with United Airlines. It was from San Francisco to Frankfurt, Germany. 9 hour delay. It was supposed to be a minor delay but because they couldn't fix the condenser issue, they were supposed to move us onto a new plane. After sitting in the lobby for 7 hours, those liars put us on the same plane, only for it to give another issue and delay us another 2 hours for a grand total of a 9 hour delay, causing us to miss our connecting flight from Frankfurt to Lagos. My family and I arrived to Lagos 37 hours behind schedule because they couldn't even guarantee us a new connecting flight. The one they gave us was to Doha, Qatar, and then back to Lagos, but we ended up missing that one as well, forcing us to spend the night in Frankfurt. Ice cold December. Brilliant. With all this misery, they gifted us with a $400 voucher per passenger. The catch? That voucher is for United Airlines only and is for select flights only (select flights being the pricier ones).

I have nothing nice to say about United. They tricked me sha. My family or I usually book with Lufthansa, but Lufthansa is now with United. A lot of their flights are Lufthansa flights operated by United Airlines. The last overseas United flight was booked accidentally as my mother booked with Lufthansa but due to a flight change, they moved us to Lufthansa operated by United. Never again. I would never recommend them to anyone. Anyone travelling is already spending a lot of money. If you're going to spend that much for a 16-hour travel, you might as well spend to be comfortable on that flight. I avoid United whenever I travel. That's just my personal two kobo.
Re: Anyone Tried United Airlines? by EuroMeko(m): 7:45pm On Aug 23, 2011
You don't like United but you like SouthWest? That defubbles me but to each his, or as in this case, her own grin

I am not one to write to customer service and give praise but United flight from Atlanta to Lagos on 7/27 moved me to write to them.

The Customer Service in Los Angeles was normal LAX stuff (read shabby but that is LAX not United) but the flight crew from Atlanta to Lagos was the epitome of first class service (I was in coach), they were very attentive, responsive and very very friendly. The aircraft was very clean, well stocked and did not make any undue noises. The landing was extra smooth, in fact the landing crew used very little reverse thrust and brakes due to excellent approach skills (they must ply this route routinely), they were skilled is a skilled Aviators.

All that being said, on my return I was flown via Air France (paid for United) and much to my delight the flight from Paris to San Francisco was on the Airbus A380. Friends, if you ever get the opportunity to fly the A380, take it. AS an aviation buff, it was an honor for me to fly in that craft due to what it represents to the aviation industry.

Here's a video of us landing in SFO http://youtu.be/sjmMZGs-o2M

As an American (oh Dear God) I have to support companies that are based here, though their alliances is starting to muddy the water.
Re: Anyone Tried United Airlines? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Aug 23, 2011
I'm American as well. It doesn't mean I should support American crap lol. That's the American way isn't it. They boast about things while the rest of the world is dishing out luxury and innovation. The Virgin America flight I took was in 2008. The United flights for Nigeria were December 2010 and January 2011. Virgin's 2008 plane and equipment looked better, sounded better, you name it. They are top of the line. American-based airlines have a lot of catching up to do. That's a fact. I took American Airlines from Sacramento to Atlanta last month. Same thing. Loud humming noise on the plane. I just don't feel comfortable on them. Not when I've experienced much better.

The only time I've used Southwest was between Riverside and Sacramento. A smaller plane because it was a 1 hour flight. The planes used for those shorter trips were excellent. I've never traveled with Southwest outside of California. Maybe that's why you're laughing lol.

Virgin is the best, hands down. They're also very costly though. Lufthansa takes second in my opinion.
Re: Anyone Tried United Airlines? by EuroMeko(m): 8:52pm On Aug 23, 2011
I didn't mean to sound like I support American companies in a blindfolded way, I don't purchase American made vehicles as a matter of automotive preference as an Autoist.

I was only laughing because you said you were comparing and stated a preference for a local small shrimp like South West to a international lobster like Delta. Not discounting your experience or opinion.
Re: Anyone Tried United Airlines? by jerryben12: 8:57am On Aug 24, 2011
oncolor:

I don't think that is the reason, it's more of a price and demand thing. The distance between the U.S and Australia is far greater than U.S and Nigeria but you still see cheaper direct flights to Australia compared to Nigeria.

I do understand all the aviation related taxes and fueling. Why is Iberia atleast 30% cheaper than all the other airlines on the same route? It is greed and selling of name rather than service. Honestly people should stop patronizing them on these routes to bring down their prices.
Re: Anyone Tried United Airlines? by Nymphnode(m): 3:02am On Aug 25, 2011
Speaking of disinfectant, tropics and mosquito. How should one explain Arik spraying a plane leaving Lagos for Abuja, Ghana, e.t.c
Re: Anyone Tried United Airlines? by Nobody: 12:35am On Aug 26, 2011
Apparently I'm not alone when it comes to United and their poor service. It took top prize in the ten most complained about US Airlines:

-----

#1 United Airlines

2.01 complaints per 100,000 passengers

United didn’t fare well last year either—coming in at No. 2—but this year it grabs the title of worst airline for passenger complaints.

-----

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-40652047
Re: Anyone Tried United Airlines? by WAVixen: 9:37am On Sep 09, 2011
The responses have been enlightening and hilarious.
Peeps, I try the airline and it wasnt that bad at all. We made a stopover in Ghana and waited for about an hour and a half. Boarded from there to final destination. Crew were pleasant and not stuck up, considering in my opinion they were older and matured. ( Where did Nigeria get the impression you must be Kate Moss to be an air hostess?) Topic for another day.

According to a respondent who commented on the state of the air craft, dem old sha. They took me down memory lane when we travelled with British Caledonia ( Remember them?) The toliets had seen many a backside! Entertainment was poor, it gave you the NTA 2 channel 5 broadcast.

To the person who mentioned why do we have to pay an arm and aleg to travel, when similar airlines deliver as much for less. I agree, though others wont. Some will say they pay for the latest in technology and comfort. With the current prices of air fares these days, one will really have to shop around to get the best value for money.

To the lady who said she'll never fly United, so will I never ( hum, you know what they say?! Never say never) fly Air France. They almost messed up my plans and what do I get with a screaming and tired infant? $10.00!! After a cancelled flight with no congent reason. United seats were fine, good leg room to stretch.
Air france seats give me cramps, its like I'm a bad danfo that the welder chose to inflict pain on the passengers by making the seats too close to one another.

The cusine was fair, all in all. Would I fly with them again? Yep.

P.S Flying with Ghanians and going to their Country was an eye opener about them first hand. Calm and reserved, not outlandish like US. Their airport was well organised, staff were courteous.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Stops Nigeria From Having A Diversity Visa Lottery Program? / How Much Is Flight From Lagos To Abuja / Commercial Flights To Begin At Anambra Airport On October 30

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.